+ Reply to Thread
Page 952 of 1058 FirstFirst ... 452 852 902 942 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 962 1002 1052 ... LastLast
Results 23,776 to 23,800 of 26442
    NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Re: What's on the menu this evening?

Fancy steak slathered in garlice butter...pffft

Dominoes pizza FTW last night!

NYYF Legend

Welp my father asked me to make him spanakopita for tomorrow so it looks like that's what I'll be doing tonight.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I think he means lettuce doesn't' appear to have seeds like other veggies. I kinda wondered where they come from in a head of lettuce myself.
    I was just teasing him because he seems to miss it!
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

Forum Regular
    Splitting time between Dayton, NJ and Needmore, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    What do you use to cut London broil paper thin? A chef's knife or a deli slicer?

How do you grow lettuce in yer garden? They don't have seeds, so how do you grow them? And how do you know when they're ready to be picked?
    Actually, I have an old sabre-style slicing knife. It's about 10 inches long and a half-inch wide. My Dad received it as a gift about 40 years ago. Four or five draws down a sharpening stick every ten slices and it delivers.

As for the lettuce, yes it does start out as seeds. We don't find seeds in the lettuce we buy in market because the plant has been picked before it goes to seed.

If you want to try your hand at it, you have to purchase the seeds from a local germinator or distributor. In the Northeast, it can be a challenge to grow lettuce because of the late freezes we get from time to time. I was lucky this year that one of my neighbors in PA offered a plot in his greenhouse for me to try my hand at this type of gardening and provided the seed to me.

Generally, you can get a sense of when to pick the head when you see the head get full with a lush set of leaves, usually four to five layers deep in the head.

As for tonight, I let someone else cook. Went to Olde Queens Tavern in New Brunswick, NJ with several friends from one of the other boards I frequent and chowed down on a Blitzburger. Washed it down with a fine Guinness and topped of the meal with a double of Tullamore Dew.
    Marc

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I was just teasing him because he seems to miss it!
    Ya darn tootin' I miss the attention. I wuz wonderin' if you had me on Ignore or sumtiin'.

Anywayz ... my miserable life is now complete, since Trish has finally noticed me. Take note, Billy Jeanne, Vicki, Danielle ... and mebbe even Ally!!!

Lunch (I work the 3rd Shift now):

Salad: red leaf, aragula, sliced carrots, the last of the yellow peppers, 'shrooms, grape tomatoes.

Sammich: cracked pepper turkey (I cracked it myself) , pastrami, corned beef on a hero, red leaf. I should've added 'shrooms, but wot-evah.

I believe we are having lobster.

Normally we'd have lobster for Father's Day, but my parents are away and the bf was in Laconia, NH all weekend for Bike Week. So this is our late pseudo-Fathers Day dinner since lobster is still on sale @ Shop Rite (even tho it was not advertised in our circular).

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby View Post
    I bought a 5 lb. whole copper river salmon at Costco yesterday so I was trying to decide whether I should filet it or slice it into steaks. I finally decided to cook it whole on the charcoal grill. I got some recipes online and it came out great. This is the first time a did a whole fish on the grill. I stuffed it with onions, fennel fronds, sliced lemons, fresh rosemary, and salt and pepper. I rubbed olive oil on the outside and inside and grilled for 15 minutes on each side. Perfection!
    My kid picked up a Copper River Salmon from Costco and made it on the grill yesterday and it was really really good. (I think he used dill, olive oil, lemon, cilantro and salt&pepper on it)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

When you'ze salmon grillers make yer fish, do you put it on there whole? Or slice it in half? Do you'ze have one of those "fish containers" to insure that it doesn't fall apart?

Now then, gas or charcoal?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

When you'ze salmon grillers make yer fish, do you put it on there whole? Or slice it in half? Do you'ze have one of those "fish containers" to insure that it doesn't fall apart?

I buy salmon filets and my husband grills them on the gas grill. No fancy rack or anything, just puts it on the grill and cooks it. The filets are pretty sturdy and as long as you don't overcook it, it shouldn't fall apart.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

I buy salmon filets and my husband grills them on the gas grill. No fancy rack or anything, just puts it on the grill and cooks it. The filets are pretty sturdy and as long as you don't overcook it, it shouldn't fall apart.
    Oh, OK. Geez, I wonder if they'll stand up just fine in a toaster oven.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

gas grill, stainless steel rack I put on top the grill grates, salmon fillet (skin on one side). Cook it for about 5-6 minutes on one side and flip it over for another 5 minutes or so (I have a Weber grill with three tube burners running lengthwise on the grill and I cook it using the indirect method - the two outside burners are left on and the center burner is turned off and the fish is placed in the center).

One thing I do try to do is to use only wild caught Salmon. I will not buy farm raised Salmon after reading research about the contaminants in farm raised version.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Oh, OK. Geez, I wonder if they'll stand up just fine in a toaster oven.
    Call the fire department and have them on alert!
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

Oh Brad, this made me think of you. I've been sort of obsessed with Eric Ripert lately (he does a show on PBS and is the chef/co-owner of Le Bernardin in NYC); he has a whole "toaster oven cooking" kind of series. There is one salmon recipe that looks really good here.

http://blog.aveceric.com/category/gettoasted

I wonder what it's like to be a neighbor of Brad in an apartment building. I think we have the makings for a sitcom here.

Ladies, Germs, Children of All Ages ... and Muggsy. Trishie's back.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    gas grill, stainless steel rack I put on top the grill grates, salmon fillet (skin on one side). Cook it for about 5-6 minutes on one side and flip it over for another 5 minutes or so (I have a Weber grill with three tube burners running lengthwise on the grill and I cook it using the indirect method - the two outside burners are left on and the center burner is turned off and the fish is placed in the center).

One thing I do try to do is to use only wild caught Salmon. I will not buy farm raised Salmon after reading research about the contaminants in farm raised version.
    So the fish is left heated, but not directly above the fire? I was wondering how those things were grilled. Considering that people use electric steamers when they cook them, I figured that's interesting to know.

What's the purpose of farm-raised if there are contaminants? Same with catfish, which are the bottom-feeders of the ocean.

I'll bet that Vicki & Danielle eat the farm-raised types of fish. 'Fess up, galz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle View Post
    Oh Brad, this made me think of you. I've been sort of obsessed with Eric Ripert lately (he does a show on PBS and is the chef/co-owner of Le Bernardin in NYC); he has a whole "toaster oven cooking" kind of series. There is one salmon recipe that looks really good here.

Mademoiselle Danielle,

From zee menu:

Zucchini Mint Parmesan Frittata
    Roasted Bananas With Rosemary
    Goat Cheese Truffles
    Butterflied Garlic Shrimp
    Raspberry Clafouti
    Quail Egg and Smoked Salmon Toasts

Ahhh ... has never had no cooked mint. I don't even eat zucchini. I thought that frittatas were made in pots.

Who roasts bananas?

I've never made truffles.

Shrimp in the toaster oven? May as well put them on the barbie (from that Crocodile Dundee commercial re Aussie visiting).

What eez zee "Clafouti"? And le raspberry is fer drinking (as is zee all-American pint of brewski).

Quail eggs? Well then sacre bleu (or sacre bleu cheese, Mademoiselle).

Anywayz ... like they said on "In Living Color" ... HATED IT!!!

I wonder what it's like to be a neighbor of Brad in an apartment building. I think we have the makings for a sitcom here.
    Oh, I dunno. I have a kwazy nabe called Kramer who comes over and asks fer a small piece of mah sammich and a salad.

I have a few other crazy nabes, but that's another story.

Danielle, I saw the vid of the mustard crusted salmon. I've never used mustard for anything other than a sammich. Sorry, not a chef.

I may try a salmon steak, but my salmon is usually limited to a bagel & lox all the way. If I take it home (in the 4 oz packets), it'll sit there too long.

NYYF Legend

Now you've done it.

NYYF Legend

Mademoiselle Danielle,

From zee menu:

Zucchini Mint Parmesan Frittata
    Roasted Bananas With Rosemary
    Goat Cheese Truffles
    Butterflied Garlic Shrimp
    Raspberry Clafouti
    Quail Egg and Smoked Salmon Toasts

Ahhh ... has never had no cooked mint. I don't even eat zucchini. I thought that frittatas were made in pots.

Who roasts bananas?

I've never made truffles.

Shrimp in the toaster oven? May as well put them on the barbie (from that Crocodile Dundee commercial re Aussie visiting).

What eez zee "Clafouti"? And le raspberry is fer drinking (as is zee all-American pint of brewski).

Quail eggs? Well then sacre bleu (or sacre bleu cheese, Mademoiselle).

Anywayz ... like they said on "In Living Color" ... HATED IT!!!

Danielle, I saw the vid of the mustard crusted salmon. I've never used mustard for anything other than a sammich. Sorry, not a chef.

I may try a salmon steak, but my salmon is usually limited to a bagel & lox all the way. If I take it home (in the 4 oz packets), it'll sit there too long.
    I WAS JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Now you've done it.
    Obviously Brad did not care for my suggestions!

I love that this big famous fancy-schmancy chef like Eric Ripert can show people how to make very sophisticated yet relatively simple cuisine in a toaster oven. I guess I am the only person who would appreciate that!!! BRADDDDDDD.

NYYF Legend

I love that this big famous fancy-schmancy chef like Eric Ripert can show people how to make very sophisticated yet relatively simple cuisine in a toaster oven. I guess I am the only person who would appreciate that!!! BRADDDDDDD.
    No, you are not.
    I do a lot of cooking in my toaster oven, because why turn on the big oven when the little one does just about everything as well?

I've made chicken, fish, meatloaf, etc. in there.... but I've never done any dessert thing, plus some of the appetizers (figs, for exam[le) look like I'd try them.

thanks!
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Forum Regular
    Splitting time between Dayton, NJ and Needmore, PA

Thunderstorms have passed by here in South Brunswick. Time to fire up the charcoal grill for salmon.

Grilled Salmon with an orange & ginger sauce. Side will be long-grain rice. Wine paring will be a Castle Rock Chardonnay.

For dessert double scoops of Vanilla ice cream w/ strawberry sauce drizzled on top.

May need to light up a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur while i watch the second game.
    Marc

Thread Information