+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 1059 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 207 247 297 697 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 26451
  1. #4901
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    gluten free bread ($5- ), ground sirloin, eggs, crushed garlic, flat leaf parsley, s&p, oregano and I think that's it. My other friend told me not to use any of my usual wooden spoons, cutting boards etc so I was careful about that. It just makes me nervous. This is for my friend that has a house in Nantucket - I think I mentioned that to you since you're going there. I'm seeing her tomorrow so she'll be so surprised. Her kid also has Juvenile Diabetes so I like to help her out when I can.

    Do you have lots of gluten free recipes?? I think I remember you mentioning that.
    Sounds like you did all the right things, especially not using your usual spoons and cutting boards etc. Some people are very sensitive so that is a good idea to do.

    Yes, I only eat gluten free so I have a lot of recipes just by my own improvising. But I also have a lot of Gluten Free Cookbooks in case I wanted to bake or something but I don't usually. I can get gluten free stuff at the store which is good. Whole Foods has a lot of gluten free items and Trader Joe has quite a bit of it too. I recently got Food for Life Millet Bread which is pretty good for a gluten free bread. And Trader Joe's Rice Pasta is pretty good too.

    Sounds like your friend has her hands full what with her kid's Juvenile Diabetes and the gluten problem. It is nice of you to help out in that way.

    28 in '12

  2. #4902
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I bought Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon at Costco. I made it tonight and it was delicious. I also made a salad with Arugula, Pink Grapefruit Sections and Mint and Brown Basmati Rice.

    28 in '12

  3. #4903
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    Sounds like you did all the right things, especially not using your usual spoons and cutting boards etc. Some people are very sensitive so that is a good idea to do.

    Yes, I only eat gluten free so I have a lot of recipes just by my own improvising. But I also have a lot of Gluten Free Cookbooks in case I wanted to bake or something but I don't usually. I can get gluten free stuff at the store which is good. Whole Foods has a lot of gluten free items and Trader Joe has quite a bit of it too. I recently got Food for Life Millet Bread which is pretty good for a gluten free bread. And Trader Joe's Rice Pasta is pretty good too.

    Sounds like your friend has her hands full what with her kid's Juvenile Diabetes and the gluten problem. It is nice of you to help out in that way.
    Thank you. If you have an easy cookie recipe I can make for my friends daughter, that would be great. When I give her the meatballs today, I'll give her the gulten free bread as well since I won't use it.

  4. #4904
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Thank you. If you have an easy cookie recipe I can make for my friends daughter, that would be great. When I give her the meatballs today, I'll give her the gulten free bread as well since I won't use it.
    That was really nice of you to make those meatballs for her.

    My son has 2 friends with severe nut allergies, so when they eat over, I have to watch what I cook with. It's not just nuts, one kid is also allergic to peas, beans (not green beans though), carrots that aren't cooked, watermelon and strawberries (off the top of my head...I think there's a few more things).

    I am always double cautious because I am so afraid I am going to give him something he can't have.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  5. #4905
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I was searching for something to make last night (I need to go food shopping!), so I found some SteakUms in the freezer and some frozen peppers and onions. I sauteed everything up and added some brown gravy and we had it over Boil-in-Bag brown rice.

    It was actually quite yummy and very easy!
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  6. #4906
    Tired and Cranky Hildy910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Looking out my back door

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Tonight it's subway again for the kids.

    OTOH, I did go to the deli in Hartford today to buy ingredients for my friend's kid that has a gluten allergy. I made 3 pans of meatballs for her (to freeze) so she can plop them in tomato sauce. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'll hand them off. I was worried though about all her allergies and I hope I didn't screw anything up when making them.....I'll be nervous about that.
    Vicki, I have a good friend with celiac disease, so if you want some gluten free recipes, let me knwo what you want and I can ask her.
    That's awfully nice of you to make htose meatballs.

  7. #4907
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hildy910
    Vicki, I have a good friend with celiac disease, so if you want some gluten free recipes, let me knwo what you want and I can ask her.
    That's awfully nice of you to make htose meatballs.
    Thanks Hildsickle.....I'd love to make her some cookies if you can find me a recipe.

  8. #4908

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Steak Pizzaiola straight out of "The Sopranos" cook book that I got my mom for mothers day. It's delicious.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

  9. #4909
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Thank you. If you have an easy cookie recipe I can make for my friends daughter, that would be great. When I give her the meatballs today, I'll give her the gulten free bread as well since I won't use it.
    I have a ton of recipes. I will look for one that looks good and easy and PM it to you. I just bought a book called Living Gluten Free for Dummies. Although I already knew a lot of what is in there I figured it might be helpful anyway. It is a very interesting book and also contains recipes. The son of the woman who wrote the book was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when he was less than a year old and that was in 1991 when not that much was known about it so she had to learn the hard way.

    Actually that gluten free bread is pretty good. My BF eats it all the time and he can eat any kind of bread.

    28 in '12

  10. #4910
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    I have a ton of recipes. I will look for one that looks good and easy and PM it to you. I just bought a book called Living Gluten Free for Dummies. Although I already knew a lot of what is in there I figured it might be helpful anyway. It is a very interesting book and also contains recipes. The son of the woman who wrote the book was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when he was less than a year old and that was in 1991 when not that much was known about it so she had to learn the hard way.

    Actually that gluten free bread is pretty good. My BF eats it all the time and he can eat any kind of bread.
    That would be great, thanks. After many docs and diagnosis, my MIL was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She always used to cheat and feel like crap later.

  11. #4911
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Vicki, here is one I just found in the Gluten Free for Dummies book. It says it is very easy so I will post it and if/when I find others I will let you know:

    Incredibly Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

    Preparation Time: 5 minutes

    Cooking Time: 20 minutes

    Yield: 2 Dozen

    Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 Cup chunky peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

    Beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Stir the peanut butter and sugar into the eggs.

    Drop dollops of dough from a spoon onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Use the back side of a fork to press them flat.

    Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies spring back a little when you poke them.

    I would make sure the child is not allergic to peanut butter though. If so, you can substitute Almond Butter.

    Here is another one from the same book:

    Zebra Meringues

    Preparation time: 15 minutes

    Cooking Time: 2 hours

    Yield: 40 Meringues

    Ingredients: Nonstick spray, 3 egg whites, 1/8 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1 cup of chocolate chips

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets with the nonstick spray.

    Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites at high speed until they're foamy.

    Add the salt and cream of tartar. Beat the whites until they form stiff peaks.

    Add the sugar gradually while beating. Then add the vanilla, beating it in.

    Using a wooden spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.

    Use a teaspoon to drop the meringue batter onto the greased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies in the oven for about 2 hours.

    28 in '12

  12. #4912
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    That would be great, thanks. After many docs and diagnosis, my MIL was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She always used to cheat and feel like crap later.
    I always say the consequences of not following the diet is much worse than just following the diet. She should get that book Gluten Free Living for Dummies. It explains exactly why it is important to follow the diet and a lot of other important information.

    28 in '12

  13. #4913
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Thanks for the recipes ....maybe I'll get the book for my friend.

  14. #4914
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Thanks for the recipes ....maybe I'll get the book for my friend.
    If you make them, let me know how they come out.

    28 in '12

  15. #4915
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    If you make them, let me know how they come out.
    I'm seeing her in an hour (she's also my doc) so I'm going to print this recipe for her too. Thanks again.

  16. #4916
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    I'm seeing her in an hour (she's also my doc) so I'm going to print this recipe for her too. Thanks again.
    There are two recipes there. I wasn't planning on two until I finished typing the first one and saw the second one. I'm not sure I mentioned there were two.

    28 in '12

  17. #4917
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    There are two recipes there. I wasn't planning on two until I finished typing the first one and saw the second one. I'm not sure I mentioned there were two.
    Oh yes, I saw 2. Peanut Butter and Zebra cookies.

  18. #4918
    NYYF Legend

    LDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    CT

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    This is the week of simplicity - ziti and meatballs.



  19. #4919
    ... destelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Had a softball game and didn't feel like cooking. I had guacamole and tortilla chips...
    Dawn

  20. #4920
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    asparagus in the oven with olive oil, s&p and carrot and ginger soup.

  21. #4921
    ... destelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Red Bank, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    asparagus in the oven with olive oil, s&p and carrot and ginger soup.
    Yummmm... some of my fav things!!!
    Dawn

  22. #4922
    NYYF Legend

    Octoberbaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Chicken soup tonight.

    28 in '12

  23. #4923

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    tacos
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

  24. #4924
    NYYF Legend

    Gringaloca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Deerfield Beach, FL

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Cheese & crackers. ..I had a HUGE lunch today..

  25. #4925
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Pork chops tonight. Probably on the grill, but maybe in the oven. I haven't decided yet.

    I have to buy some asparagus. Haven't had it in a long time.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts