+ Reply to Thread
Page 197 of 1059 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 207 247 297 697 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 26451
    NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

Re: What's on the menu this evening?

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    gluten free bread ($5- ), ground sirloin, eggs, crushed garlic, flat leaf parsley, s&p, oregano and I think that's it. My other friend told me not to use any of my usual wooden spoons, cutting boards etc so I was careful about that. It just makes me nervous. This is for my friend that has a house in Nantucket - I think I mentioned that to you since you're going there. I'm seeing her tomorrow so she'll be so surprised. Her kid also has Juvenile Diabetes so I like to help her out when I can.

Do you have lots of gluten free recipes?? I think I remember you mentioning that.
    Sounds like you did all the right things, especially not using your usual spoons and cutting boards etc. Some people are very sensitive so that is a good idea to do.

Yes, I only eat gluten free so I have a lot of recipes just by my own improvising. But I also have a lot of Gluten Free Cookbooks in case I wanted to bake or something but I don't usually. I can get gluten free stuff at the store which is good. Whole Foods has a lot of gluten free items and Trader Joe has quite a bit of it too. I recently got Food for Life Millet Bread which is pretty good for a gluten free bread. And Trader Joe's Rice Pasta is pretty good too.

Sounds like your friend has her hands full what with her kid's Juvenile Diabetes and the gluten problem. It is nice of you to help out in that way.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

I bought Wild Copper River Sockeye Salmon at Costco. I made it tonight and it was delicious. I also made a salad with Arugula, Pink Grapefruit Sections and Mint and Brown Basmati Rice.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby
    Sounds like you did all the right things, especially not using your usual spoons and cutting boards etc. Some people are very sensitive so that is a good idea to do.

Yes, I only eat gluten free so I have a lot of recipes just by my own improvising. But I also have a lot of Gluten Free Cookbooks in case I wanted to bake or something but I don't usually. I can get gluten free stuff at the store which is good. Whole Foods has a lot of gluten free items and Trader Joe has quite a bit of it too. I recently got Food for Life Millet Bread which is pretty good for a gluten free bread. And Trader Joe's Rice Pasta is pretty good too.

Sounds like your friend has her hands full what with her kid's Juvenile Diabetes and the gluten problem. It is nice of you to help out in that way.
    Thank you. If you have an easy cookie recipe I can make for my friends daughter, that would be great. When I give her the meatballs today, I'll give her the gulten free bread as well since I won't use it.

NYYF Legend

Thank you. If you have an easy cookie recipe I can make for my friends daughter, that would be great. When I give her the meatballs today, I'll give her the gulten free bread as well since I won't use it.
    That was really nice of you to make those meatballs for her.

My son has 2 friends with severe nut allergies, so when they eat over, I have to watch what I cook with. It's not just nuts, one kid is also allergic to peas, beans (not green beans though), carrots that aren't cooked, watermelon and strawberries (off the top of my head...I think there's a few more things).

I am always double cautious because I am so afraid I am going to give him something he can't have.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

I was searching for something to make last night (I need to go food shopping!), so I found some SteakUms in the freezer and some frozen peppers and onions. I sauteed everything up and added some brown gravy and we had it over Boil-in-Bag brown rice.

It was actually quite yummy and very easy!

Tonight it's subway again for the kids.

OTOH, I did go to the deli in Hartford today to buy ingredients for my friend's kid that has a gluten allergy. I made 3 pans of meatballs for her (to freeze) so she can plop them in tomato sauce. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'll hand them off. I was worried though about all her allergies and I hope I didn't screw anything up when making them.....I'll be nervous about that.
    Vicki, I have a good friend with celiac disease, so if you want some gluten free recipes, let me knwo what you want and I can ask her.
    That's awfully nice of you to make htose meatballs.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hildy910
    Vicki, I have a good friend with celiac disease, so if you want some gluten free recipes, let me knwo what you want and I can ask her.
    That's awfully nice of you to make htose meatballs.
    Thanks Hildsickle.....I'd love to make her some cookies if you can find me a recipe.

Steak Pizzaiola straight out of "The Sopranos" cook book that I got my mom for mothers day. It's delicious.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

NYYF Legend

I have a ton of recipes. I will look for one that looks good and easy and PM it to you. I just bought a book called Living Gluten Free for Dummies. Although I already knew a lot of what is in there I figured it might be helpful anyway. It is a very interesting book and also contains recipes. The son of the woman who wrote the book was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when he was less than a year old and that was in 1991 when not that much was known about it so she had to learn the hard way.

Actually that gluten free bread is pretty good. My BF eats it all the time and he can eat any kind of bread.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

I have a ton of recipes. I will look for one that looks good and easy and PM it to you. I just bought a book called Living Gluten Free for Dummies. Although I already knew a lot of what is in there I figured it might be helpful anyway. It is a very interesting book and also contains recipes. The son of the woman who wrote the book was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when he was less than a year old and that was in 1991 when not that much was known about it so she had to learn the hard way.

Actually that gluten free bread is pretty good. My BF eats it all the time and he can eat any kind of bread.
    That would be great, thanks. After many docs and diagnosis, my MIL was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She always used to cheat and feel like crap later.

NYYF Legend

Vicki, here is one I just found in the Gluten Free for Dummies book. It says it is very easy so I will post it and if/when I find others I will let you know:

Incredibly Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

Preparation Time: 5 minutes

Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 2 Dozen

Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1 Cup chunky peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Stir the peanut butter and sugar into the eggs.

Drop dollops of dough from a spoon onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Use the back side of a fork to press them flat.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies spring back a little when you poke them.

I would make sure the child is not allergic to peanut butter though. If so, you can substitute Almond Butter.

Here is another one from the same book:

Zebra Meringues

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking Time: 2 hours

Yield: 40 Meringues

Ingredients: Nonstick spray, 3 egg whites, 1/8 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of cream of tartar, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp. of vanilla, 1 cup of chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets with the nonstick spray.

Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites at high speed until they're foamy.

Add the salt and cream of tartar. Beat the whites until they form stiff peaks.

Add the sugar gradually while beating. Then add the vanilla, beating it in.

Using a wooden spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.

Use a teaspoon to drop the meringue batter onto the greased cookie sheets. Put them in the oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies in the oven for about 2 hours.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

That would be great, thanks. After many docs and diagnosis, my MIL was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She always used to cheat and feel like crap later.
    I always say the consequences of not following the diet is much worse than just following the diet. She should get that book Gluten Free Living for Dummies. It explains exactly why it is important to follow the diet and a lot of other important information.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

Thanks for the recipes ....maybe I'll get the book for my friend.

NYYF Legend

Thanks for the recipes ....maybe I'll get the book for my friend.
    If you make them, let me know how they come out.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

If you make them, let me know how they come out.
    I'm seeing her in an hour (she's also my doc) so I'm going to print this recipe for her too. Thanks again.

NYYF Legend

I'm seeing her in an hour (she's also my doc) so I'm going to print this recipe for her too. Thanks again.
    There are two recipes there. I wasn't planning on two until I finished typing the first one and saw the second one. I'm not sure I mentioned there were two.

28 in '12

NYYF Legend

There are two recipes there. I wasn't planning on two until I finished typing the first one and saw the second one. I'm not sure I mentioned there were two.
    Oh yes, I saw 2. Peanut Butter and Zebra cookies.

NYYF Legend

This is the week of simplicity - ziti and meatballs.

Had a softball game and didn't feel like cooking. I had guacamole and tortilla chips...
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

asparagus in the oven with olive oil, s&p and carrot and ginger soup.

asparagus in the oven with olive oil, s&p and carrot and ginger soup.
    Yummmm... some of my fav things!!!
    Dawn

NYYF Legend

Chicken soup tonight.

28 in '12

tacos
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

NYYF Legend

Cheese & crackers. ..I had a HUGE lunch today..

NYYF Legend

Pork chops tonight. Probably on the grill, but maybe in the oven. I haven't decided yet.

I have to buy some asparagus. Haven't had it in a long time.

Thread Information