+ Reply to Thread
Page 1029 of 1056 FirstFirst ... 29 529 929 979 1019 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1039 ... LastLast
Results 25,701 to 25,725 of 26400
  1. #25701
    NYYF Legend

    Trish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    That's great! Congrats! I really should join WW. I need to lose 35-40 pounds. I don't have a smartphone, though.

    I have a London broil marinating in a peppercorn marinade. We'll grill that tonight, and I'll make some mashed potatoes. I think we're headed to Sweet Tomatoes for lunch.
    I don't have a smartphone either. I use their e-tools with my computer though, and it's tremendously helpful.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

  2. #25702
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I think you have it backwards. The round ones are usually used in salads and sandwiches. The oval roma tomatoes are usually the sauce ones.
    The big round ones, the kind about the size of a softball, are ridiculous. Too big and they have no taste. The delis overuse this, and then they add in food processor-shredded iceburg lettuce. Yuck.

    I prefer the oblong- or oval-shaped tomatoes, and red or green leaf lettuce. Sometimes romaine, but sometimes the ones I see look too tough. Lettuce that's soft works for me.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  3. #25703
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    The big round ones, the kind about the size of a softball, are ridiculous. Too big and they have no taste. The delis overuse this, and then they add in food processor-shredded iceburg lettuce. Yuck.

    I prefer the oblong- or oval-shaped tomatoes, and red or green leaf lettuce. Sometimes romaine, but sometimes the ones I see look too tough. Lettuce that's soft works for me.
    Not all big huge tomatoes have no taste. If it's the right time of the season, they are usually juicy and very sweet. I prefer smaller ones, but I have never tried slicing the oval Roma tomatoes for sandwiches.

    I wish I had planted some tomatoes. Maybe I can find some already grown plants at the store. I still need to get some herb plants.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  4. #25704

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Crockpot chicken quesadillas

    • 1 lb. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 cup(s) salsa
    • 1 cup(s) corn
    • 1 pkg. tortillas
    • 1 pkg. shredded mexican cheese
    • 1 pkg. taco seasoning, packet
    Combine chicken, salsa, corn, and taco seasoning in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Before serving, shred chicken with a fork. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and add a tortilla. On half, add chicken. Top with cheese. Fold tortilla over and let brown. After 1 minute, flip to other side.
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

  5. #25705
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    That sounds good, Jenn. I would probably skip the extra step to brown it and make wraps with the tortillas.

    Tonight, ribeyes on the grill with various salads (mac and potato salad from yesterday, olive & tomato salad and marinated cukes).
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  6. #25706

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    That sounds good, Jenn. I would probably skip the extra step to brown it and make wraps with the tortillas.

    Tonight, ribeyes on the grill with various salads (mac and potato salad from yesterday, olive & tomato salad and marinated cukes).
    Yeah, I probably won't brown it. I was just C&P the directions.

    Mmmm, ribeyes! Sounds delicious!
    "I usually try to plan my bowel movements before I shower."
    -- fredgmuggs

  7. #25707
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    Not all big huge tomatoes have no taste. If it's the right time of the season, they are usually juicy and very sweet. I prefer smaller ones, but I have never tried slicing the oval Roma tomatoes for sandwiches.

    I wish I had planted some tomatoes. Maybe I can find some already grown plants at the store. I still need to get some herb plants.
    I don't know all varieties of tomatoes, but for the "eating" tomatoes (meaning to exclude those tiny grape- or marble-sized ones designed for salads), I break them down into three categories:

    --The big ones the size of a softball
    --The oval-shaped ones just smaller than a small avocado
    --The vine-ripe ones that come 3-5 together with the vine still attached.

    The big ones, I tend to avoid. That many delis use these are the reason. I wouldn't put one of those onto a sandwich, since if I don't eat it right away, they get soggy. I could always make a sandwich better than delis using these, even using their own meat and bread.

    I like the oval-shaped ones. They taste good and don't get too soggy.

    I don't know if the vine-ripe ones (they look really bright red) are the Roma tomatoes or not, but those look like they'd be great for Italian pasta or marinara sauce. In fact, if I were to make any kind of sauce or tomato-based soup, I'd use those first.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  8. #25708
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    That sounds good, Jenn. I would probably skip the extra step to brown it and make wraps with the tortillas.

    Tonight, ribeyes on the grill with various salads (mac and potato salad from yesterday, olive & tomato salad and marinated cukes).
    Where do you live again? Any leftovers?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  9. #25709
    NYYF Legend

    GiambiRocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Crockpot chicken quesadillas

    • 1 lb. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 cup(s) salsa
    • 1 cup(s) corn
    • 1 pkg. tortillas
    • 1 pkg. shredded mexican cheese
    • 1 pkg. taco seasoning, packet
    Combine chicken, salsa, corn, and taco seasoning in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Before serving, shred chicken with a fork. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and add a tortilla. On half, add chicken. Top with cheese. Fold tortilla over and let brown. After 1 minute, flip to other side.
    Jenn, that sounds great. I make a pulled chicken in a crockpot with 1 lb. skinless chix breast, one sliced onion, 3/4 of a bottle of BBQ sauce and a can of rootbeer. It's quick and awesome. I cook it on low for about 4 hours then shred it.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I need to be.

  10. #25710
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I must be the only one who doesn't really like mexican food. Maybe it's because of my sensitive stomach plus I hate beans and so much of the food has beans in it or spicy ingredients.

  11. #25711
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I must be the only one who doesn't really like mexican food. Maybe it's because of my sensitive stomach plus I hate beans and so much of the food has beans in it or spicy ingredients.
    you are not alone -- I can't even stomach the smell -- in addition to my allergy to peppers and a history of ulcers, I wouldn't like the taste anyway.

  12. #25712
    NYYF Legend

    smr15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    West Milford, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Crockpot chicken quesadillas

    • 1 lb. frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 cup(s) salsa
    • 1 cup(s) corn
    • 1 pkg. tortillas
    • 1 pkg. shredded mexican cheese
    • 1 pkg. taco seasoning, packet
    Combine chicken, salsa, corn, and taco seasoning in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Before serving, shred chicken with a fork. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and add a tortilla. On half, add chicken. Top with cheese. Fold tortilla over and let brown. After 1 minute, flip to other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    Jenn, that sounds great. I make a pulled chicken in a crockpot with 1 lb. skinless chix breast, one sliced onion, 3/4 of a bottle of BBQ sauce and a can of rootbeer. It's quick and awesome. I cook it on low for about 4 hours then shred it.
    yum and yum.
    They both sound awesome.
    I do like how boneless chicken comes out in a crockpot. Always so tender.
    .Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

  13. #25713
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Hey, Vicki. Since feta cheese is made from goat's milk, what do the Greeks do w/the goat once they've milked it? I've never heard of them eating goat meat. Or do they get the goat's milk from other countries?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  14. #25714
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Hey, Vicki. Since feta cheese is made from goat's milk, what do the Greeks do w/the goat once they've milked it? I've never heard of them eating goat meat. Or do they get the goat's milk from other countries?
    They can't milk it more than once?
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  15. #25715
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    We ate at a pizzeria/restaurant tonight that has gluten free pizza and pasta. Shannen had the pizza, which she said was good. I was surprised to hear the manager talking to 3 other couples about gluten free meals, though. Since Shannen has been eliminating gluten from her diet, we have met more people with intolerances or celiacs.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

  16. #25716
    NYYF HOF

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    I was visiting my brother's farm in Berks County, PA last week and he gave me a huge standing rib roast from one of his steers. He keeps one steer each year and slaughters it locally; the rest get sold to a meat processor. It's defrosting now for tomorrow night for the family and a few friends. I have never done one--so if anyone has any recipe suggestions I am all ears (or eyes, in this case.)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  17. #25717
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    They can't milk it more than once?
    I was asking Vicki (and also Li'l Sis, since she's also Greek) what they do w/the goat after it's been milked? Where I grew up, the parents raised goats and chickens on farms. The chickens laid eggs and we ate the chickens. The goats made milk and we ate the goat meat.

    I only know Greeks to make feta cheese. What do they do w/the goat after it's milked? Sell it? Or do they just import the goat's milk from other countries?

    I'm also curious what you folks eat other than American or European food. You've mentioned eating oxtail, so that's at least something that I've had. Do any of you here eat Filipino, Asian Indian, Vietnamese, African, Spanish or West Indian food?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  18. #25718
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I was visiting my brother's farm in Berks County, PA last week and he gave me a huge standing rib roast from one of his steers. He keeps one steer each year and slaughters it locally; the rest get sold to a meat processor. It's defrosting now for tomorrow night for the family and a few friends. I have never done one--so if anyone has any recipe suggestions I am all ears (or eyes, in this case.)
    Which cuts of beef is that? Take it to a butcher shop and have them cut this up and identify the cuts. Google recipes for it from there is all I can advise.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

  19. #25719
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Canada Day today........lots and lots of wine,beer,whiskey........and of course assorted BBQ meats....

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  20. #25720

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Canada Day today........lots and lots of wine,beer,whiskey........and of course assorted BBQ meats....
    barbecued moose and polar bear?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  21. #25721
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    barbecued moose and polar bear?
    Whatever the steel traps capture.......

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  22. #25722
    NYYF HOF

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Which cuts of beef is that? Take it to a butcher shop and have them cut this up and identify the cuts. Google recipes for it from there is all I can advise.
    Standing Rib (aka Roast Beef) IS a cut, Brad. The butcher shop already cut up the whole cow and wrapped and labeled each piece. Now I just need to cook it.

    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  23. #25723
    NYYF Legend

    RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Manchester, NJ

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Holy cow

  24. #25724

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Standing Rib (aka Roast Beef) IS a cut, Brad. The butcher shop already cut up the whole cow and wrapped and labeled each piece. Now I just need to cook it.

    Nice. You could leave it as is and cook it as a roast or you could cut it into steaks and cook it that way. Either way, you have to decide whether to take it off the bone or not. If you leave it on the bone, whether you cook it whole or not, you are limited to how thin you can cut the steaks (unless you happen to have a butcher's saw).

    I usually cook it on the bone and then take it off whole after it's done. I do this for a couple of reasons-- one, I think it comes out better when you cook it bone side down (like you have it in the picture), and two, my wife likes to pick at the ribs. After cooking it and letting it set for a while, I just follow the ribs with a knife and take the whole roast off that way. I then cut between the ribs and serve them. Then I can cut the roast into slabs of whatever thickness I want.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  25. #25725
    NYYF Legend

    krystl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Westchester NY

    Re: What's on the menu this evening?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    I was asking Vicki (and also Li'l Sis, since she's also Greek) what they do w/the goat after it's been milked? Where I grew up, the parents raised goats and chickens on farms. The chickens laid eggs and we ate the chickens. The goats made milk and we ate the goat meat.

    I only know Greeks to make feta cheese. What do they do w/the goat after it's milked? Sell it? Or do they just import the goat's milk from other countries?

    I'm also curious what you folks eat other than American or European food. You've mentioned eating oxtail, so that's at least something that I've had. Do any of you here eat Filipino, Asian Indian, Vietnamese, African, Spanish or West Indian food?
    I just assume they keep milking the goat to get the milk. They don't have to eat it.
    Dairy cows are used for milk. They don't use those for meat until the cows aren't producing enough milk anymore.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts