+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Facial hair rules

Anybody know if the team's position on facial hair/long hair is enforceable? For example, if Damon refused to remove the long hair and/or beard, do the Yankees have any legal recourse?
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Re: Facial hair rules

Yeah facial hair rules!!
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF Cy Young

Don't know about legal, but in baseball peer pressure is much stronger than the law anyway!
    SABR Publications Editor - Author FIFTY GREATEST YANKEE GAMES -
    Editor Maple Street Press YANKEES ANNUAL - http://whyilikebaseball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    Anybody know if the team's position on facial hair/long hair is enforceable? For example, if Damon refused to remove the long hair and/or beard, do the Yankees have any legal recourse?
    It depends on whether or not the hair requirements are written in the contract.

NYYF Legend

Facial hair kicks ass unless it isn't well-kept.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

I could've sworn that Don Mattingly used to sport a goatee rather than just the moustache when I was in elementary school. I'll say it was probably 1994 or 1995.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2
    I could've sworn that Don Mattingly used to sport a goatee rather than just the moustache when I was in elementary school. I'll say it was probably 1994 or 1995.
    You were in Elementary School in 1994 or 1995?

Yeah he was actually still sporting it during that disastrous Seattle series which marked Donnie's retirement, you can see him with it during those playoffs in the Paul O'neill Yankeeography.

I would imagine the reason Stein didn't make a huge fiasco out of it is that everyone knew Donnie was pretty much gone and he had already gotten into a minor fracas with Don about cutting his hair earlier on in his career.
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by StaceyRosie
    You were in Elementary School in 1994 or 1995?

I graduated 8th grade in 1996.

I'm not sure because I didn't have a TV until later, but I know some players used to stretch the rules. David Wells always had a mustache with a days worth of stubble. And Roger Clemens would sometimes go with stubble as well.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by NYYBombshell
    Wow, I was in the third grade.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Wow, I was in the third grade.
    I wasn't born yet
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso
    I wasn't born yet
    Really?

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksconstantino24
    Really?
    Oh, sorry, misspelled...

it should read "I wasn't boring yet"

Sorry for the confusion.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso
    Oh, sorry, misspelled...

it should read "I wasn't boring yet"

Sorry for the confusion.
    Oh okay. I was going to say, if you were not born in 1996, then you must be really young.

Backup Utility Outfielder
    241 miles south of the stadium on google maps

Even after the haircut, it looked like Damon's sideburns were alot longer than NYY regulation. we'll see where they are on opening day.
    Andy Pettitte starts Game 2.

I'm curious too as to what the actual legality is of the Yankees facial hair rules. Let's say that someone refuses to shave - what would happen? Or if the Yankees had a player who refused to cut their hair or shave due to religious reasons? I would assume that any players who had issues regarding feeling strongly about not shaving or cutting their hair wouldn't sign with the Yankees but let's say a player has been with the Yankees for a few years then suddenly decides that having a full beard has personal meaning to them. What legally can the Yankees do?

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

Backup Utility Outfielder
    241 miles south of the stadium on google maps

Quote Originally Posted by silverdsl
    I'm curious too as to what the actual legality is of the Yankees facial hair rules. Let's say that someone refuses to shave - what would happen? Or if the Yankees had a player who refused to cut their hair or shave due to religious reasons? I would assume that any players who had issues regarding feeling strongly about not shaving or cutting their hair wouldn't sign with the Yankees but let's say a player has been with the Yankees for a few years then suddenly decides that having a full beard has personal meaning to them. What legally can the Yankees do?

-Deborah
    I believe that, legally speaking, George is within his rights to have you wacked. Seriously though, in this world of billion dollar players, there are few things that are bigger than money, and god bless it, having a close haircut when you wear the pinstripes is one of them.
    Andy Pettitte starts Game 2.

Quote Originally Posted by utopiapkwy
    I believe that, legally speaking, George is within his rights to have you wacked. Seriously though, in this world of billion dollar players, there are few things that are bigger than money, and god bless it, having a close haircut when you wear the pinstripes is one of them.
    Won't disagree, but so far nobody's answered the question.
    Let the kids play.

Officially, George indeed has the right to impose the facial hair policy or any other policy for that matter, but only as long as it doesn't conflict with religious constraints, like Muslims and Orthodox Jews having beards. This is according to rules set by the Equal Employment Commission, which says that employers are allowed to impose dress codes and appearance policies as long as they don't discriminate on race, color, religion, age, national origin or gender.

Unofficially though, you better cut the hair no matter what, or ELSE, and we're all aware of that. George is an unreasonable old man, and he'll be more apt to trade you or not sign you if you're unwilling to shave for whatever reason.

If you ask me, the facial hair policy is nothing but an arbitrary demonstration of control. It's old fashioned and to say it has an effect on the players' performance would be ludicrous. These are gum chewing, weight lifting, jocks, not clean cut business men whose appearance actually affects their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SkooterPhil#10
    Officially, George indeed has the right to impose the facial hair policy or any other policy for that matter, but only as long as it doesn't conflict with religious constraints, like Muslims and Orthodox Jews having beards. This is according to rules set by the Equal Employment Commission, which says that employers are allowed to impose dress codes and appearance policies as long as they don't discriminate on race, color, religion, age, national origin or gender.

Unofficially though, you better cut the hair no matter what, or ELSE, and we're all aware of that. George is an unreasonable old man, and he'll be more apt to trade you or not sign you if you're unwilling to shave for whatever reason.

If you ask me, the facial hair policy is nothing but an arbitrary demonstration of control. It's old fashioned and to say it has an effect on the players' performance would be ludicrous. These are gum chewing, weight lifting, jocks, not clean cut business men whose appearance actually affects their performance.
    Thanks, Skooter! That answers part 1. Now, what happens if somebody doesn't cut the locks? Can George dock pay? Will he be benched? Hey, while I'm in Florida in March I'll ask him myself!
    Let the kids play.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksconstantino24
    I'm not sure because I didn't have a TV until later, but I know some players used to stretch the rules. David Wells always had a mustache with a days worth of stubble. And Roger Clemens would sometimes go with stubble as well.
    Clemens would shave after his start and not shave again until after his next start.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    Clemens would shave after his start and not shave again until after his next start.
    Come to think of it, Bernie would sometimes skip shaving for a few days.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYBombshell
    God bless class of '96.

They were talking about this on PTI. Wilborn said that it's ok for a team to enforce it since they agreed to join and knew what the organization was all about. However, then they compared it to the NBA dress code. He said that a league should not have that kind of authory over clothes. I agree with him.

As far as legally, it depends on the contract I suppose.

Thread Information