+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

NYYF Legend

Anyone see O'Reilly on Letterman the other night?

I'm not a Bill O'Reilly fan, but I thought Letterman went out of his way to act like an asshole in that interview.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Re: Anyone see O'Reilly on Letterman the other night?

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey
    I'm not a Bill O'Reilly fan, but I thought Letterman went out of his way to act like an asshole in that interview.
    He did and it was hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Released Outright

They're both idiots. I just don't understand what the point of even having O'Reilly on the show was. Letterman clearly doesn't like him, and he wasn't interested in debating with him OR having fun. So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by BronxByTheBay
    They're both idiots. I just don't understand what the point of even having O'Reilly on the show was. Letterman clearly doesn't like him, and he wasn't interested in debating with him OR having fun. So why bother?

Pssst, Barry.........it's all about ratings.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by NYYBombshell
    Pssst, Barry.........it's all about ratings.
    I get that, but as the segment went on Letterman looked like he would rather have a steel spike shoved through his skull than talk to O'Reilly. I'm sure at this point in Letterman's career he can have on guests of equal or better popularity than Bill O'Reilly.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I really can't stand O'Reilly.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

I get that, but as the segment went on Letterman looked like he would rather have a steel spike shoved through his skull than talk to O'Reilly. Sure at this point in Letterman's career he can have on guests of equal or better popularity than Bill O'Reilly.

Maybe he wanted to look sophisticated or up with what's going on in the news by having O'Reilly on instead of some vapid Hollywood celebrity. I actually didn't watch past when they did Late Show Equations, but I kinda wish I had now.

They're both idiots.
    No more calls please, we have a winner.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

NYYF Legend

That's exactly why I didn't bother to watch it. I knew it would just be a waste of time.
    Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams

O' Reilly told a bunch of lies during the show on his manufactured war on Christmas nonsense, stuff that he'd already been informed was rubbish the first time he came out with it on his show. Letterman probably knew this too but didn't call him on it. He did point out that 60% of what he says is crap though. I'd only disagree with the 60% number.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200601040009

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by English Yankee
    O' Reilly told a bunch of lies during the show on his manufactured war on Christmas nonsense, stuff that he'd already been informed was rubbish the first time he came out with it on his show. Letterman probably knew this too but didn't call him on it. He did point out that 60% of what he says is crap though. I'd only disagree with the 60% number.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200601040009
    I can't stand O'Reilly, but Letterman came across just as bad. Especially with the Cindy Sheehan exchange (Letterman's own audience gave O'Reilly an applause line - you're out of your depth when Bill O'Reilly is generating applause lines from your studio audience.)

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso
    I really can't stand O'Reilly.
    Why? If you don't mind me asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Why? If you don't mind me asking.
    O'Reilly is what everyone says Rush is (and Rush is not, incidentally): obnoxious, bitter, mean, bragoon (sorry Italian word--no direct translation---think "wealth flaunter"), in it purely for the money, loves to hear himself talk, outshouts his guests. I could be wrong, of course, but that's the way he comes across. (Which, incidentally, is not what Rush is about--well, except the wealth flaunting, maybe--Rush does that in jest supposedly, but I still don't like it).

I could go further, but we'd have to move the thread
    Last edited by Tifoso; 01-05-06 at 06:37 PM.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

I missed O'Reilly but Letterman has done this before to Rush Limbaugh and Marilyn Manson. Maybe others that I've missed.

Quote Originally Posted by rock
    I missed O'Reilly but Letterman has done this before to Rush Limbaugh and Marilyn Manson. Maybe others that I've missed.
    What did Letterman say to Manson? I'd be interested to hear it, because he's actually come across as a pretty intelligent guy when I've heard him interviewed.

NYYF Legend

O'Reilly is a jerk.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

O'Reilly was right about one thing, though . . . how can Letterman criticize what O'Reilly says when he's never watched O'Reilly's show?

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

I did not see the interview, but from the transcripts I've read and clips I have seen, I think Letterman came off looking worse than O'Reilly. As a conservative, I have issues with some of O'Reilly's "conservative-only-when-it's-convenient" ramblings, but I love the way he takes on Hollywood (because no one else will).

Dave's admission that he hadn't seen the show but based what he was saying on what he had "heard and read" shows that he was ill-informed and somewhat ignorant (this doesn't surprise me, as 70% of the political arguements I get into with people are based on things they "heard", "read", or "were told").

Dave - like so many others - was quick to belittle and disrespect an opinion he didn't agree with. Belittling an opinion does not make it wrong, Dave - just different from yours.

Anyone who thinks the "war on Christmas" isn't a big deal hasn't been paying attention. When national chain stores like Kmart, Wal Mart, Target, JC Penney (I could go on and on) ban employees from using "Merry Christmas" as a greeting (this was already starting back in the 80s when I worked at Macy's. Back then they just "frowned" upon it), you have to start to wonder what is going on.

I would tell Dave two things if I saw him in the street: one, just because YOU don't pay attention to something doesn't mean it's not happening, and two, how about TRYING to be funny again?

Petezs

PS - I checked out the spinnerific article at mediamatters.org, and I have a message for the dolts over there: it's not where the non-secular version of Silent Night came from that is important, it's the fact that they sang it in the first place. Nice try, though.
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

NYYF Legend

Letterman was a bit of a tool but turnabout is fair play. Nice to see O'Reilly get a dose of his own medicine. Happy Holidays Bill.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRFNY
    PS - I checked out the spinnerific article at mediamatters.org, and I have a message for the dolts over there: it's not where the non-secular version of Silent Night came from that is important, it's the fact that they sang it in the first place. Nice try, though.
    I actually do think the "War on Christmas" as O'Reilly and Gibson have droned on about it is hokum (there IS an attack on religion in this country - saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" isn't part of that). But when I read the media matters piece I was struck by the same thing - how does the background of the guy who wrote it change what O'Reilly was complaining about? Was that version of the song specifically used because it was PC? THAT is what's in question.

The most interesting thing in this whole thread is discovering just how ignorant the people on mediamatters are.

Clinton, NJ - The odorless part of the state

there IS an attack on religion in this country - saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" isn't part of that
    I would agree, except when businesses start ordering thier employees NOT to say "Merry Christmas" as a greeting - EVER - there's something more sinister afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by SODM
    The most interesting thing in this whole thread is discovering just how ignorant the people on mediamatters are.
    No kidding.
    Waiting for Sterling to retire so I can start listening to games on the radio again...

I think that as a business they want to appear to be non-religious. They want "Happy Holidays" to be the message, because it wishes everyone to have a nice "Holy Day" season, regardless of their beliefs.

But you know the hypocrites will have St. Nick in the stores, to draw in the mom's and kids..
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRFNY
    I would agree, except when businesses start ordering thier employees NOT to say "Merry Christmas" as a greeting - EVER - there's something more sinister afoot.
    Look, I agree that people's sensativities are at dumbass-levels. I wish private companies would show a little more sack. But look at it this way: you own a company and both Christmas and Chanukah are coming up - doesn't "Happy Holidays" make more sense?

Now if anyone is ever fired for saying "merry Christmas", sign me up for the class action lawsuit.

I just watched the entire clip. I'm not going to pick sides here, but I thought this show was somewhat similar to the Tonight Show, being the lighter side of life? That debate was far too serious...something you'd see on Meet the Press.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information