+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Arod to play in WBC now... as possibly is posada....

I see a flop of XFL like proportions. It'll last one year, then, no one will care.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBaseball
    Thats an excellent point, you know the majority of people have their AROD, Jeter, and Damon voodoo dolls are prepped for the WBC, but if a Santana goes down, people will be in an uproar.

On another note, although I dislike the idea, if they played anywhere near me I'd be first on line for a ticket. I wonder who else would pony up the cash for something they don't even support.
    HAHA I am on the fence about attending. I don't want to financially support something I disagree with so that they have an excuse to continue it. On the point of small market clubs and finances, another important consideration is that these small market clubs are budgeted around their star player, not only does it impact on field performance, but the finances of paying an injured player and the obvious decline in interest in a losing team. There is no way a small market club can be competitive if they lose their star because unlike the Yanks and Sox and Angels and such they can't make a trade because not only does it financially cripple the team but they lose out on the prospects they were counting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulish29
    I see a flop of XFL like proportions. It'll last one year, then, no one will care.
    Good thing this tourney will have real players
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Guinness for Strength! Boogiedown Bomber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeyYankee2638
    Good thing this tourney will have real players
    and if Cuba can play, then this tourney will truly be worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown Bomber
    and if Cuba can play, then this tourney will truly be worth watching.
    Exactly. It seems like the atheletes are really into playing, especially since baseball is out of the Olympics (oh, thats another good useless tourney huh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Yeah Yeah Yeah AlongCameAPrincess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiKat
    You know, it's going to take me a real long time to get used to "Johnny Damon of the New York Yankees".
    My strategy is make Johnny in pinstripes my avatar so I can look at it and get used to it quicker: but it's not working! I get freaked out every.single.time!

I hate to say it, but I'd be happy if no Yankees participated.
    This whole thing is crap..

If I were the Yankees I'd tell Selig up and down, if we lose a player, you ain't getting the luxury tax for that player's salary, screw you.

I mean, the Yankees are paying these guys millions to play for them. If someone like Arod got hurt and went down with injury for the year god forbid, I'd tell Selig we will be deducting the 16 million we pay Arod from this year's revenue sharing/luxury tax check. These guys play for the Yankees.
    I expect them to be in shape and ready for a full season when the bell rings. Period. I don't want some fake tourney to have implications on our baseball season.

Not to mention, imagine a little team like Panama with only one star, Mariano Rivera, having a surprising lead over the US or DR in the 6th inning. We may very well see Mo for the 12 out save!! In which case, the manager of Panama would have to worry about me assasinating him. These guys are going to be on teams under managers who have them for three weeks and will not care about burning them out beyond that because hell, it is not their problem.

I don't want any of my players in these games. Not any of them. I want them under the supervision of the management and training staff of the Yankees. All the time. I don't want them to be told to play through a nagging injury or put on the mound for 7 innings and 100 pitches before a full proper spring training.

This whole things terrifies me completely. I can just see our great roster having a hole in it because of this stupd classic, and like I said, if it happened, I'd tell Selig he can stuff his revenure sharing/luxury tax check where the sun don't shine..

I was too focused on the A-Rod headline and just now read Posada is going to play. I think that is idiotic. Our aging, declining, catcher gets to wear himself down that much more...

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    A little overreaction here, IMO. Saying "screw the MLBPA" is a lot different than saying "screw unions."

Unions in general created safe working conditions, but how good is a union at creating safe working conditions when it fought steroid testing at every turn?

Nobody is saying that unions are bad, but a lot of people have an issue with this particular union.
    The man said "this shows why unions should be abolished alltogether." Unions. Not the player's union. But unions, in general.

And the union f'ed up bad on the steroids issue, but ownership and Selig weren't too interested in doing anything about it until recently, either.
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=3][SIZE=1]RIP Cory Lidle. Forever a Yankee. [/SIZE]

I [B]still[/B] believe.
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

This whole WBC thing is a joke. They should crap it. It's pointless and unnecessary
    Why? What makes something pointless and unnecessary? Hockey fans sure didn't feel that the World Cup of Hockey was pointless and unnecessary, and hockey is a far more physical sport than baseball is and as such is far more prone to injury. Why not just "crap" the ASG because it's pointless?

Answer: It's good for the sport and the fans. Sometimes you have to put the sport before an individual player or team. I for one am looking forward to it. In any event, you know as well as I that ARod has a better chance of getting into an auto accident than getting injured in the WBC. Does that mean that we should prevent him from driving in a car? Before making a blanket statement like that tell us why you feel that way.

Getting back OT, ARod should have made this decision weeks ago. Unless you, at one point in time in your life, spent a significant amount of time in another country, you should play for your home country. It's only fair and prevents cronies from forming a team together.

Quote Originally Posted by sullim4
    Why? What makes something pointless and unnecessary? Hockey fans sure didn't feel that the World Cup of Hockey was pointless and unnecessary, and hockey is a far more physical sport than baseball is and as such is far more prone to injury. Why not just "crap" the ASG because it's pointless?

Answer: It's good for the sport and the fans. Sometimes you have to put the sport before an individual player or team. I for one am looking forward to it. In any event, you know as well as I that ARod has a better chance of getting into an auto accident than getting injured in the WBC. Does that mean that we should prevent him from driving in a car? Before making a blanket statement like that tell us why you feel that way.

Getting back OT, ARod should have made this decision weeks ago. Unless you, at one point in time in your life, spent a significant amount of time in another country, you should play for your home country. It's only fair and prevents cronies from forming a team together.
    What makes it pointless and unnecessary? It's an idea by Bud Selig to make MLB's pockets fatter. Teams should not have to worry about having their All-Star athletes, who they pay millions to, getting injured by playing in some pointless tourney set up by Bud Selig.

This isnt even remotely close to anything like the Olympic Baseball tourney because pros arent allowed to play in the Olympics, only amateur players and people not playing in MLB were allowed to participate.

What makes it pointless and unnecessary? It's an idea by Bud Selig to make MLB's pockets fatter. Teams should not have to worry about having their All-Star athletes, who they pay millions to, getting injured by playing in some pointless tourney set up by Bud Selig.

This isnt even remotely close to anything like the Olympic Baseball tourney because pros arent allowed to play in the Olympics, only amateur players and people not playing in MLB were allowed to participate.
    I respect your opinion and I do agree with you that it fattens MLB's coffers. But I don't see why that's a bad thing. The WBC promises to make spring training interesting and exciting to watch, something that it currently is not. If you have 25 man all-star rosters on these teams, not every player is going to be playing every inning. I don't see how these players will be seeing significant playing time beyond what they would have ordinarially seen in ST. And really, without exhibitions such as the ASG, would we really have "All-star" athletes?

Again though this really isn't any different than the World Cup of Hockey and that was a huge success, and I see no reason why this can't be either.

NYYF Legend

"Source: A-Rod hasn't committed to WBC" is the latest, now on Yankees.com ...

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Despite a report in the New York Times, which said that A-Rod is "expected to announce this week that he has changed his mind and will play for the United States team," a source with knowledge of the situation said that the reigning American League MVP has not committed to participating in the event.
    Did anyone else read that entire article in the Times, which is the apparent sole source of the rumor that A-Rod had changed his mind and WOULD play? It's a vicious anti-Yankee diatribe by Murray Chass, beginning ...

FOR Major League Baseball's entry onto the international stage, the role of the requisite Ugly Americans is being played by the Yankees.

They have already established themselves as the Ugly Yankees, and before the inaugural World Baseball Classic is played in two months, they are a good bet to become even uglier.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

If there has to be a WBC, I'd prefer that Bernie would be the only Yankee participant.
    Complaining is a choice

This thing will never happen again if anyone with a big name gets hurt.

Don't know if its been mentioned but I have read the idea is that Posada would DH for Puerto Rico while Pudge does the catching duties.

On the subject of the WBC I am totally into it, but alot of that has to do with me being a big soccer fan and seeing what the World Cup does for the game. I would be fully behind this event if it wasn't actually MLB running it but rather an international organization perhaps. I'm not saying either side is right or wrong but it is very interesting to see opinions here regarding this event and those in Europe regarding something like the World Cup. There is essentially close to no opposition to the Cup while here the WBC seems to be detested. Top Organizations with the best players in the world such as Real Madrid, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, and Barcelona do not have any control over their players, if they are chosen as starters on a national team and are healthy and willing to participate it is solely to the player's discretion.

Not only that, during players' respective seasons they have to go off and train as well as participate in serious qualifers with other teams. Needless to say players constantly get injured, but it is simply accepted and people don't blame the actual event.
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Released Outright

I am going to post in this thread.

Released Outright

I am retracting my prior statement.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne
    this makes a lot of sense. who cares about the starting lineup as long as we KEEP OUR UTILITY MAN!!!!

there had better be some sarcasm that im missing here.
    Pain Heals. Chicks Dig Scars. Glory Lasts Forever.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Perhaps Alex got a hold of new polling data in order to make his decision. I mean, that's what they do on West Wing.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    A little overreaction here, IMO. Saying "screw the MLBPA" is a lot different than saying "screw unions."...
    But how do you interpret "It just shows why unions should be abolished alltogether."?
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/61015.htm

AROD hasn't changed his mind yet.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    This nonsense of Selig's is falling apart because guys like Matsui and Mo who are the face of baseball in their countries are wanting to sit out and fulfill their contractual obligation. Not for nothing, it really doesn't seem much different than when Boone played a game of pickup Baskets, just the Selig has a vested interest in this. If they wanted a competition like this why not do it similar to that tour of Japan thing a couple years ago and have it in November right after the series? I am not really in favor of it at any time where it interferes with the MLB but it seems much more logical to have it in November than interfere with the Spring Training regimen of the players. Oh Well.....
    It'll never be in November because that makes too much sense! And besides, Selig is a total d*ck!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I wonder if Steinbrenner will begin writing clauses into players' contracts prohibiting participation in these national exhibitions, unless it is the olympics.

Could you imagine of Mo decides to pitch, and hurts his shoulder? Or if A-Rod decided to play and tears an achillies tendon?

I liked A-Rod's comments in the George King article about being able to be honor both family and heritage while playing baseball (probably because I don't want him playing in Selig's money grabbing exhibition).

I have built up full hatred for Bud Selig at this point.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Forum Regular

First about Unions:
    I don't like them at all. They've got way too much power. Here they even agree to something called CAO's (collective workers agreement) on national levels. They make deals which are exactly the same for everyone. Somebody is only giving 80% and another 100%: both get payed just as much.
    People here get lazy and don't care about the company they work for anymore. If they need to work some overtime, most are immediately complaining and / or are stamping their feet on the ground to demand more money.
    They did some good things: I agree, but nowadays...

WBC:
    I'm actually in favour (let's just ignore this redicilous stupid threatening union) of the WBC: Let's think about the people who live in for instance Panama or the Dominican Republic: they never get a chance to see their fellow countrymen play. But this will be televized there continuesly: finally they'll see their stars play. Hopefully they'll get motivated and inspired to change their lives themselves, like those players did. It shows them what dedication and motivation will bring you.
    Here, in The Netherlands, MLB isn't on television normally, only some attention during the WS. This, however, will be broadcasted. The players will be named and the franchises they're from. For instance: Arod will play terrific: the commentators will say he's from the Yankees: people here will get interested in the yankees, read about them and even buy their stuff: hence: larger fanbase.
    Also: people will get to see baseball on the highest level, with the best players in the world. People will get motivated to play baseball themselves.

I think it's a great thing for baseball.
    [img]http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14999[/img]
    [url=http://freeandjustice.blogspot.com.]Liberty and Justice[/url]

Thread Information