+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
Results 101 to 125 of 125
  1. #101

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    This begs the question: Why is the bench being ignored?

    It definitely seems like the Yanks offense is better 1-9, but beyond that they look like they have some issues. If they get any injuries to their starting lineup, it doesn't look to good as far as replacements go.

  2. #102
    NYYF Legend

    JeffWeaverFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan
    I am becoming more and more convinced that the logic of waiting until spring training before trading our excess 25-man roster pitching makes sense.

    Our problem may be even worse than we thought - does anyone know if Jason Anderson has any options left? The BaseballCube and BaseballReference list him as having ML experience in 2003 (NYY & NYM), 2004 (CLE) and 2005 (NYY) - if this fact is correct, isn't he also out of options?
    I agree with that. That way, you see 1. If we have an injury and no longer need to trade a pitcher and 2. If another team has an injury, they will be willing to pay more for one of our extra guys.

    Not sure about Jason.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

  3. #103
    NYYF Legend

    JeffWeaverFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    JT Snow against RH pitchers last year.

    279 .350 .376 .725

    Not spectacular but great defense in late innings and a solid player to have in against RH pitchers on occasion. It's a solid signing by the Red Sox in a bench role.
    I think Youkilis will do better than that against rightys. Your right about the defense though.

    edit: Also, don't you have Roberto Petagine? I think he's far better than Snow.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

  4. #104

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    JT Snow against RH pitchers last year.

    279 .350 .376 .725

    Not spectacular but great defense in late innings and a solid player to have in against RH pitchers on occasion. It's a solid signing by the Red Sox in a bench role.
    Have you ever publicly criticized any signing by the Red Sox?
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

  5. #105
    NYYF Legend

    JeffWeaverFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Merlyn
    This begs the question: Why is the bench being ignored?

    It definitely seems like the Yanks offense is better 1-9, but beyond that they look like they have some issues. If they get any injuries to their starting lineup, it doesn't look to good as far as replacements go.
    Well, Andy Phillips is here and I think he'll be the backup 1B guy so we don't really have the need for Snow. He can also pinch hit against leftys.

    Stinnett is the catcher. Bubba is the speedy outfielder. Bernie is the guy that gets curtain calls and hopefully can hit righty pitching allright off the bench. And Cairo is the utility infielder.

    Not great, but not much room for anything else. The Yanks just really need a DH or, preferably, a corner outfielder.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

  6. #106

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Merlyn
    This begs the question: Why is the bench being ignored?

    It definitely seems like the Yanks offense is better 1-9, but beyond that they look like they have some issues. If they get any injuries to their starting lineup, it doesn't look to good as far as replacements go.
    At least they haven't ignored their everyday lineup like your team? By the way, once you get some replacements in your regular lineup that Sox bench isn't exactly a strength.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

  7. #107

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    There isn't any evidence that Snow still provides great defense. In fact, there's evidence that he provides average defense. What does that leave you?

  8. #108

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    JT Snow against RH pitchers last year.

    279 .350 .376 .725

    Not spectacular but great defense in late innings and a solid player to have in against RH pitchers on occasion. It's a solid signing by the Red Sox in a bench role.
    Great defense at this point in his career?

    You really think that those numbers are good for a first baseman?

    I will be very happy if the Red Sox have nothing more at first than Youkils and Snow. And ecstatic about the other corner unless Lowell can make a Giambi-like rise from his ashes.

  9. #109

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah
    Great defense at this point in his career?

    You really think that those numbers are good for a first baseman?

    I will be very happy if the Red Sox have nothing more at first than Youkils and Snow. And ecstatic about the other corner unless Lowell can make a Giambi-like rise from his ashes.
    I never said the numbers were good but that's not going to be his role. I envision the same way Mienkiewicz was used in 2004 and that was helpful.

    Not to mention the fact that Youkilis has played very little 1B and could learn a thing or two from Snow and it also allows Youkilis to give Lowell a day off too.

  10. #110

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    I never said the numbers were good but that's not going to be his role. I envision the same way Mienkiewicz was used in 2004 and that was helpful.

    Not to mention the fact that Youkilis has played very little 1B and could learn a thing or two from Snow and it also allows Youkilis to give Lowell a day off too.
    Sure, but Minky actually is a good defender at first. Snow as a defensive replacement with average defense isn't terribly exciting. Petagine is, simply, a better player than Snow, and if Snow is playing instead of better players, that's good for the Yankees. Teaching Youkilis how to play 1B is the job of the coaching staff. You don't need to blow a roster space on that.

  11. #111

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    Sure, but Minky actually is a good defender at first. Snow as a defensive replacement with average defense isn't terribly exciting. Petagine is, simply, a better player than Snow, and if Snow is playing instead of better players, that's good for the Yankees. Teaching Youkilis how to play 1B is the job of the coaching staff. You don't need to blow a roster space on that.
    Petagine is better than Snow?

    Snow is pretty effective against RHP (his three-year split is .300/.391/.456 [.847 OPS] and is FAR from an average defensive fielder.

    Petagine did nothing in his short stay in MLB and 5 years prior. He's also 35 and no spring chicken himself and below average with the glove.

  12. #112
    NYYF Legend

    JeffWeaverFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    Petagine is better than Snow?

    Snow is pretty effective against RHP (his three-year split is .300/.391/.456 [.847 OPS] and is FAR from an average defensive fielder.
    Forget Snow's 3 year splits. Snow fell off a cliff last year. I don't think that at the age of 38 he's going to be any better than he was last year.

    All I know is I'll be happy when Snow is playing instead of Youkilis.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

  13. #113

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    Petagine is better than Snow?

    Snow is pretty effective against RHP (his three-year split is .300/.391/.456 [.847 OPS] and is FAR from an average defensive fielder.

    Petagine did nothing in his short stay in MLB and 5 years prior. He's also 35 and no spring chicken himself and below average with the glove.
    As I often try to say, projection is not simply looking at the last 3 years and weighting them evenly in a vacuum. Snow was not a good hitter for a 1B last year, be it against LH or RH (and worse than Petagine). He is not going to get better. As for his defense, he was less than a run above average last year according to ZR+, his 2002-2003 UZR162 was -4, his 2000-2003 UZR162 was -5, etc. Reputation from his 20s seems to have carried Snow pretty far in terms of defense.

  14. #114
    Addicted Member
    mickey mantle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Narragansett

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    i think phillips will be the man this year.
    URI Wiffleball MVP, Cy Young and Gold glove winner

  15. #115

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    1. Rumors about Pavano being traded or Sturtze and Henn/Proctor being traded don't exist in a vacuum.

    2. I've already had a discussion re how many innings are available for the pen to pitch, and 7 relievers just doesn't work.

    3. Small is out of options.

    4. The Yankees need another position player because they need someone actually capable of playing RF and LF against righties.
    I realize Small is out of options, but nothing is stopping him from volunteering to two or three starts at AAA to stay Sharp.

    Jason Anderson is also out of options as is DePaula. Proctor is not so he could be the odd man out.

    The rumors I've seen about Pavano have been with a starting pitcher coming back in return. So that doesn't alleviate any logjam of starters. Not to mention the Yankees have PUBLICLY said that they'd like to keep Pavano. That's not to say he ain't available for the right package.

    But starting pitchers are too valuable to trade for anything other than starting pitchers. And the only way I see it is if we can sweeten the deal and upgrade.

    As for the seven relievers, one will actually be your sixth starter, so he will be in and out of the rotation as needed. Which will likely be often with our staff.

    I would not mind seeing a better hitter in place of Bernie at DH, but I don't think we are going to see it. There's nothing on the free agent market but scraps. Frank Thomas, Raffy Palmerio, etc. Maybe we will see a Steinbrenner reclamation project.

    I just don't see a major upgrade happening. We may just save the money and possibly upgrade at the All-Star break if we have a problem. If we were going to sign a mediocre type OF'er we would have already signed Byrnes or someone of the like.

    All said, I'm ready to go into the season with Bernie as our DH and 4th OF'er. I think he can spell all three of'ers better than anyone that is out there now. I think trading for a J. D. Drew/Abreau type to allow Sheff to go to DH is just wishful thinking.

  16. #116

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogibuck
    I realize Small is out of options, but nothing is stopping him from volunteering to two or three starts at AAA to stay Sharp.
    Actually, yes, the waiver process is stopping him from doing that. He'd have to clear waivers to make it to AAA. He won't.

    Jason Anderson is also out of options as is DePaula. Proctor is not so he could be the odd man out.
    Given that Anderson was himself acquired off waivers and DePaula is still not all of the way back, they actually might clear waivers. If not, they will be traded in ST in the kind of deal for other marginal players you see every spring.

    The rumors I've seen about Pavano have been with a starting pitcher coming back in return. So that doesn't alleviate any logjam of starters. Not to mention the Yankees have PUBLICLY said that they'd like to keep Pavano. That's not to say he ain't available for the right package.
    And the Yankees publically said that Bubba could be the opening day CF. Teams say a lot of things to the press. We've seen Pavano linked to Reed, Abreu, Michaels, etc. Again, not saying these are all good or likely deals, but usually with these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.

    But starting pitchers are too valuable to trade for anything other than starting pitchers. And the only way I see it is if we can sweeten the deal and upgrade.
    Bull. Players who play every day inherently have more value than pitchers who pitch every 5 days. Yes, there are certainly good pitchers who have more value than average position players, but in a general sense, you get more out of 750 plate appearences and all of those defensive innings. In addition, with Pavano, it is simply a matter of cutting the bait. The chances of him being healthy, as shown by his career, are extremely slim. If you can exchange a guy who is probably going to end up on the DL for a guy who is actually going to play, that's a good thing.

    As for the seven relievers, one will actually be your sixth starter, so he will be in and out of the rotation as needed. Which will likely be often with our staff.
    I understand that. That's why you can't carry 12 pitchers. You need to keep your swingmen stretched out so that they can effectively start if need be. Limiting them to 70 innings or so of relief work does not allow this.

    I would not mind seeing a better hitter in place of Bernie at DH, but I don't think we are going to see it. There's nothing on the free agent market but scraps. Frank Thomas, Raffy Palmerio, etc. Maybe we will see a Steinbrenner reclamation project.
    There are more issues here than just Bernie's bat. They must also contend with bad outfield defense from both Sheffield and Matsui, the nagging injuries that seem to plague Sheffield every year, and Matsui wearing down in order to keep his consecutive game streak alive. An average RF/LF who can hit righties gives more offense than Bernie, more defense than Sheffield or Matsui (wherever he happens to be playing DH that day), keeps Sheffield and Matsui more fresh, and lets Phillips play first against lefties to give Giambi a day off from the field.

    I just don't see a major upgrade happening. We may just save the money and possibly upgrade at the All-Star break if we have a problem. If we were going to sign a mediocre type OF'er we would have already signed Byrnes or someone of the like.
    By the all-star break, Pavano and Wright will likely be hurt again, leaving the Yankees with nothing...nothing to trade but prospects, holes in the pitching staff, and a hole in the lineup. I know I sound harsh here, but the simple fact is, they are never healthy. Expecting it to happen in 2006 is wishful thinking at best.

    All said, I'm ready to go into the season with Bernie as our DH and 4th OF'er. I think he can spell all three of'ers better than anyone that is out there now. I think trading for a J. D. Drew/Abreau type to allow Sheff to go to DH is just wishful thinking.
    Bernie can't play a single outfield position well. When he is forced to play defense, his offense suffers. What do the Yankees get by putting him in LF or RF (which in and of itself is one of the more frightening things I can think of)? They don't need Abreu...all they need is an average RF/LF...something they should comfortably be able to get (and then some) for a guy like Pavano.

  17. #117

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    Actually, yes, the waiver process is stopping him from doing that. He'd have to clear waivers to make it to AAA. He won't.



    Given that Anderson was himself acquired off waivers and DePaula is still not all of the way back, they actually might clear waivers. If not, they will be traded in ST in the kind of deal for other marginal players you see every spring.



    And the Yankees publically said that Bubba could be the opening day CF. Teams say a lot of things to the press. We've seen Pavano linked to Reed, Abreu, Michaels, etc. Again, not saying these are all good or likely deals, but usually with these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.



    Bull. Players who play every day inherently have more value than pitchers who pitch every 5 days. Yes, there are certainly good pitchers who have more value than average position players, but in a general sense, you get more out of 750 plate appearences and all of those defensive innings. In addition, with Pavano, it is simply a matter of cutting the bait. The chances of him being healthy, as shown by his career, are extremely slim. If you can exchange a guy who is probably going to end up on the DL for a guy who is actually going to play, that's a good thing.



    I understand that. That's why you can't carry 12 pitchers. You need to keep your swingmen stretched out so that they can effectively start if need be. Limiting them to 70 innings or so of relief work does not allow this.



    There are more issues here than just Bernie's bat. They must also contend with bad outfield defense from both Sheffield and Matsui, the nagging injuries that seem to plague Sheffield every year, and Matsui wearing down in order to keep his consecutive game streak alive. An average RF/LF who can hit righties gives more offense than Bernie, more defense than Sheffield or Matsui (wherever he happens to be playing DH that day), keeps Sheffield and Matsui more fresh, and lets Phillips play first against lefties to give Giambi a day off from the field.



    By the all-star break, Pavano and Wright will likely be hurt again, leaving the Yankees with nothing...nothing to trade but prospects, holes in the pitching staff, and a hole in the lineup. I know I sound harsh here, but the simple fact is, they are never healthy. Expecting it to happen in 2006 is wishful thinking at best.



    Bernie can't play a single outfield position well. When he is forced to play defense, his offense suffers. What do the Yankees get by putting him in LF or RF (which in and of itself is one of the more frightening things I can think of)? They don't need Abreu...all they need is an average RF/LF...something they should comfortably be able to get (and then some) for a guy like Pavano.
    I disagree that Bernie can't play a single outfield position well. I think (provided he could make the adjustment) that Bernie would likely be an average to above average leftfielder as Matsui is. I think Matsui looks below average at times because left center at Yankee stadium is a big field to play and preferably would be filled by someone with wheels. On the road I would think both of them as above average.

    In RF his throwing arm would hurt, but he can still cover the ground that most RF'ers can (probably more than Sheff). In CF, he can spot Damon once a month. I agree he is a weak CF'er, but there just aren't alot of great CF'ers.

    Not sure why you want to trade Pavano for an average LF/RFer type? That is Bernie. He is an average player.

    And to say that Bernie's offense suffers when he plays defense is absurd. When has he DH'd for an extended period of time. Just maybe the same skills that have eroded making him a below avg CF'er are the same ones that hinder his hitting. Or maybe its just the shoulder problem. I would agree that more rest should HELP keep him fresher, but not playing in the field is a hard adjustment for someone who always had.

    If Pavano and Wright are hurt by the All-Star break again, we will be in serious trouble, that is why we need to keep all 7 around. Not sure I understand that logic.

    And I am just going to disagree about starting pitchers. I think top notch pitchers ARE the hardest commodity to find. People don't tend to give them up much. Many young pitchers are hurt alot. Not sure that is an uncommon thing. Most find their groove injury wise after 27-28.

    For many teams, just having 200IP guys is what they want, but with the Yankees, the team should and is built for the postseason. That is why they dealt for Randy, because in the postseason, PITCHING more often than not WINS.

    I'm not ready to give up on after one season where Pavano had a bum shoulder. And I'm one who absolutely did not want to sign Pavao last year. I wanted the Yankees to go after Pedro (Diva) as his worst season was still better than Pavano's best and the money wasn't much different.

    When you look around at the contracts being thrown around for starters right now, if Pavano can have a good year, the money isn't that bad.

    And all the links you mentioned to OF'ers were PRIOR to Johnny Damon signing on. Which in my opinion was the best option. Trading Pavano for a player like Michaels or Reed is absurd. And apparently the Yankees agreed. The Abreau option would be an upgrade over Bernie, so I could see something like that.

    Is Michaels any better than Bubba or even Melky? Why Reed? He doesn't have ANY power. Why would the Yankees play him in either corner more than in spot duty? I could see MAYBE going after him for center if we were EXTREMELY desperate with the possibility of starting Bubba. But not now.

    As for the smoke/fire thing. I think the press in NY creates crap because they need to sell papers. With Cashman in control and power centralized, I doubt you'll see much leaked until something is DONE.

    If Cashman is talking, it is for a reason (strategic I would imagine).

    I think we will carry 12 pitchers. I think another roster space is wasted unless it is an upgrade over what we have already. I think players clear waivers all the time unexpectedly also however. So I think it is possible that Small could start out at AAA.

    But I think we will see

    RJ
    Moose
    Pavano
    Wang
    Chacon

    Mo
    Farns
    Tanyon
    Villone
    Myers
    Wright
    Small

    all on the Yankee roster unless someone is hurt. Which is VERY possible. Do you have to clear waivers for rehab assignments?

    I think Proctor will be one of the first guys up (or possibly traded for scrap (not much value) once Dotel looks ready) and that Henn will likely replace Villone or Myers about the all-star break. I think a starter may be moved at the All-Star break for a big chip if everyone is healthy or if one of the minor league pitchers (Clippard/Desalvo/etc.) forces his way up into the bigs.

    I personally, let the dearth of pitching work itself out.

    Although, anyone is tradeable in my book for the right price. If the right deal comes along, Pavano is gone. But only for a sweet pot.

  18. #118

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Not to mention, how much of Sheffields decline defensively was due to his hamstring?

    Maybe it is a lifelong injury, but one would expect that with rest he might be able to play defense better in 06.

  19. #119
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    North Carolina

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Didn't know they were not on speaking terms.
    Yankee Logo

  20. #120

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogibuck
    Not to mention, how much of Sheffields decline defensively was due to his hamstring?

    Maybe it is a lifelong injury, but one would expect that with rest he might be able to play defense better in 06.
    His defense has been poor for a few years now. Whether that is because of the variety of injuries he has had over those years, age, or some combination of the 2 doesn't seem to matter much in terms of projecting forward. He's had nagging injuries for at least the last 3 years that effected him in the field, and at this point, it's very likely that something crops up again. In addition, I don't think there are any good 37 year old defensive outfielders. Defense is really the provence of younger guys.

  21. #121

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by yogibuck
    I disagree that Bernie can't play a single outfield position well. I think (provided he could make the adjustment) that Bernie would likely be an average to above average leftfielder as Matsui is. I think Matsui looks below average at times because left center at Yankee stadium is a big field to play and preferably would be filled by someone with wheels. On the road I would think both of them as above average.

    In RF his throwing arm would hurt, but he can still cover the ground that most RF'ers can (probably more than Sheff). In CF, he can spot Damon once a month. I agree he is a weak CF'er, but there just aren't alot of great CF'ers.
    Bernie's true talent is probably around -25 to -30 runs defensively in CF based on UZR, ZR+, Gassko's stuff, etc. Previous studies by tangotiger seem to indicate that the difference between CF and either RF or LF is about 8 runs. That still leaves Bernie as substantially below average. You also have to consider that Bernie has always been far from an instinctual player and might not adjust at even an average rate.

    Not sure why you want to trade Pavano for an average LF/RFer type? That is Bernie. He is an average player.
    Below average defensively as discussed above, below average with the bat for an OF. The average AL LF hit .278/.333/.437 last year and the average RF .270/.332/.451. Bernie hit .249/.321/.367. ZIPS projects .241/.332/.362.

    And to say that Bernie's offense suffers when he plays defense is absurd. When has he DH'd for an extended period of time. Just maybe the same skills that have eroded making him a below avg CF'er are the same ones that hinder his hitting. Or maybe its just the shoulder problem. I would agree that more rest should HELP keep him fresher, but not playing in the field is a hard adjustment for someone who always had.
    Torre and Bernie both say that his whole game suffers when he plays the field regularly. The knees and the shoulders both give him trouble. Beyond that, if you think he'll have a hard time adjusting to DH, that's just another reason to find a better solution.

    If Pavano and Wright are hurt by the All-Star break again, we will be in serious trouble, that is why we need to keep all 7 around. Not sure I understand that logic.
    The logic is, if they are going to be hurt and not playing, why not get something for them before that happens? No one is going to trade for Wright, but once Pavano is hurt, you can't get anything for him either. Would you rather have a player on the DL or a player actually playing? Pavano is unlikely to actually play.

    [quoteAnd I am just going to disagree about starting pitchers. I think top notch pitchers ARE the hardest commodity to find. People don't tend to give them up much. Many young pitchers are hurt alot. Not sure that is an uncommon thing. Most find their groove injury wise after 27-28. [/quote]

    Pavano is not a top notch starting pitcher. Pavano has gone well beyond the normal injury growing pains associated with a growing pitcher, as the injuries have become the norm.

    For many teams, just having 200IP guys is what they want, but with the Yankees, the team should and is built for the postseason. That is why they dealt for Randy, because in the postseason, PITCHING more often than not WINS.
    Yet Pavano is a below average pitcher in his career when he pitches. Why is that what you want in the postseason?

    I'm not ready to give up on after one season where Pavano had a bum shoulder. And I'm one who absolutely did not want to sign Pavao last year. I wanted the Yankees to go after Pedro (Diva) as his worst season was still better than Pavano's best and the money wasn't much different.
    It's not about one season. It's about his entire career. In fact, it seems that it is the belief that 2004 is again likely that is the problem here. 2004 is the one season that doesn't fit with the rest of his career, and there's no reason to expect him to do it again.

    When you look around at the contracts being thrown around for starters right now, if Pavano can have a good year, the money isn't that bad.
    Yet there's no evidence that Pavano will have a good year even if he is able to pitch. That's what his career, aside for 1 season, is all about. Waiting around for the outlier to repeat itself is an extreme risk, regardless of the money. If they do trade him, it would simply be to reapportion those funds.

    And all the links you mentioned to OF'ers were PRIOR to Johnny Damon signing on. Which in my opinion was the best option. Trading Pavano for a player like Michaels or Reed is absurd. And apparently the Yankees agreed. The Abreau option would be an upgrade over Bernie, so I could see something like that.
    How about yesterday's Newsday?

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...-yankees-print

    Is Michaels any better than Bubba or even Melky? Why Reed? He doesn't have ANY power. Why would the Yankees play him in either corner more than in spot duty? I could see MAYBE going after him for center if we were EXTREMELY desperate with the possibility of starting Bubba. But not now.
    Yes, Michaels is a much, much better baseball player than Bubba or Melky. Bubba is below replacement level in CF, let alone at the corners. Melky still hasn't shown the power to play a corner spot in the majors nor the defensive abillity to play center. Michaels is an above average hitter for a corner outfielder. He hit .304/.399/.415 in limited time last year. If you spread him out against more righties, as he would face were he an everyday player, you get .300/.387/.415. That gives him some leeway to decline a little bit if playing every day wears him out and still be average to above average. He was a slightly better than average defender in CF last year. I think you might be able to get Michaels plus a player for Pavano, and that isn't a bad thing.

    As for the smoke/fire thing. I think the press in NY creates crap because they need to sell papers. With Cashman in control and power centralized, I doubt you'll see much leaked until something is DONE.

    If Cashman is talking, it is for a reason (strategic I would imagine).
    While you can always question why something was said and what it really means, names don't just pop up for no reason.

    I think we will carry 12 pitchers. I think another roster space is wasted unless it is an upgrade over what we have already. I think players clear waivers all the time unexpectedly also however. So I think it is possible that Small could start out at AAA.
    I've previously offered a detailed explanation of the number of innings available for 11 and 12 pitchers. Why do you think 12 pitchers is ok? G

    iven how bad Bernie actually is, do you think it's that hard to upgrade?

    Small is exactly the kind of player that doesn't make it through waivers...a guy that a team has no problem taking a flyer on for no money, but someone who they wouldn't trade for or pay too much as a free agent for because of his history.

    But I think we will see

    RJ
    Moose
    Pavano
    Wang
    Chacon

    Mo
    Farns
    Tanyon
    Villone
    Myers
    Wright
    Small

    all on the Yankee roster unless someone is hurt. Which is VERY possible. Do you have to clear waivers for rehab assignments?
    Yes, I would imagine you would see all of those pitchers and more. That's the problem. If Pavano is just going to be hurt anyway and someone is actually willing to trade a functioning baseball player for him, the team is in a better position overall.

    And while a rehabbing pitcher can be assigned to the minor leagues, they must be returned to the ML roster within 30 days (20 for position players), so you just can't hide guys in the minors.

    I think Proctor will be one of the first guys up (or possibly traded for scrap (not much value) once Dotel looks ready) and that Henn will likely replace Villone or Myers about the all-star break. I think a starter may be moved at the All-Star break for a big chip if everyone is healthy or if one of the minor league pitchers (Clippard/Desalvo/etc.) forces his way up into the bigs.

    I personally, let the dearth of pitching work itself out.
    How are the Yankees going to trade pitching at the ASB? See, this is the problem. Pavano apparently has trade value right now. When he's on the DL, he has no trade value. What you are then left with is having to trade prospects to address the teams issues. If you are already of a mind to trade Pavano, then you might as well just do it while you actually have a chance and you actually have a market. Instead of waiting for Pavano to get hurt so that things 'work themselves out', proactively address the issue while you can still get something out of it.

    Although, anyone is tradeable in my book for the right price. If the right deal comes along, Pavano is gone. But only for a sweet pot.
    While I know that win shares has flaws, especially on the defensive side, it does provide a bit of perspective here. Michaels generated 13 win shares last year, Pavano 2. That's a differnce of over 3 wins, and it comes with Michaels spending a decent portion of the season on the bench and not stretching his lead even more. Even then, 3 wins is a rather substantial difference over the course of a season. That seems like a pretty sweet pot to me. Put Wilkerson in the mix and now you're talking about 23 win shares, so about 7 wins difference between him and Pavano last year. All of this is because Pavano is unlikely to play.

  22. #122
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Setauket, NY

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    He hit .304/.399/.415 in limited time last year. If you spread him out against more righties, as he would face were he an everyday player, you get .300/.387/.415.
    how do you figure this?

  23. #123

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    how do you figure this?
    I just took his splits and applied them as though his ratio of AB against lefties and righties were the same as Matsui's since he was someone who played every day. Since he had a higher than normal percentage of AB against lefties in his limited role, it made sense to try and see what would happen if he faced a more even ratio of lefties to righties.

  24. #124
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    RIP to JT's dad, former NFL Player Jack Snow.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5235842
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????


    Thank goodness we now know.

  25. #125
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Not one comment on the passing of Jack Snow. Wow.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????


    Thank goodness we now know.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts