+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Yanks talking to JT Snow?

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...ticleid=118796
    Meanwhile, the Sox also continue to negotiate with free agent first baseman J.T. Snow regarding a role as the backup and defensive replacement for Kevin Youkilis. Snow is believed to be negotiating with three or four other clubs, including, perhaps, the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles. Agent Dan Horwits said Snow could have a decision by today or tomorrow.
    He'd be a great pickup.
    ~John

Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

He'd be a good pickup.

Would be a nice move and insurance for Giambi. I was never pleased that the Yanks didn't give him a chance as a promising youngster.

The new FO loves to go with kids from the farm.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

do it, come on i wanna see it, do it

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by AMYanks
    He'd be a good pickup.
    Ditto.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    The new FO loves to go with kids from the farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Would be a nice move and insurance for Giambi. I was never pleased that the Yanks didn't give him a chance as a promising youngster.
    FWIW, in 1992 the Yanks traded Snow along with Russ Springer and Jerry Neilson to the Angels for Jim Abbott. In deference to Dooley, I remember that trade and being thrilled to get Abbott. Snow plays excellent defense and still swings a good bat. I think we is a better alternative as Giambi's backup than Andy Phillips because Snow wouldn't be an automatic out whenever that spot in the order came to bat.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Verdana]Mastery is identifying the gap and filling it in.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by drjeckyl
    FWIW, in 1992 the Yanks traded Snow along with Russ Springer and Jerry Neilson to the Angels for Jim Abbott. In deference to Dooley, I remember that trade and being thrilled to get Abbott. Snow plays excellent defense and still swings a good bat. I think we is a better alternative as Giambi's backup than Andy Phillips because Snow wouldn't be an automatic out whenever that spot in the order came to bat.
    I agree, Snow would be taking Philips' spot, his defense is unquestionable, but he bats lefty meaning we still would not have a righty hitting alternative to play first base when a tough lefty hurls and we want to spell Jason. The question is, does that matter??

I do not think so, Snow can probably hit lefties as good as Phillips, he is not helpless up there, and his defense, the real reasons for a backup, is gold glove caliber.

Also, in the just in case department, in the event we lose Jason to injury for a few weeks, Snow can play everyday for that period and would not kill us, Phillips would likely be a black hole if forced into duty every day..

Released Outright

Snow's best years are far behind him.

I'm sensing a 3 year contract...

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76
    I agree, Snow would be taking Philips' spot, his defense is unquestionable, but he bats lefty meaning we still would not have a righty hitting alternative to play first base when a tough lefty hurls and we want to spell Jason. The question is, does that matter??

I do not think so, Snow can probably hit lefties as good as Phillips, he is not helpless up there, and his defense, the real reasons for a backup, is gold glove caliber.

Also, in the just in case department, in the event we lose Jason to injury for a few weeks, Snow can play everyday for that period and would not kill us, Phillips would likely be a black hole if forced into duty every day..
    At this juncture, he's an average defender.

He might be passable against righties for a corner player.

He's useless against lefties.

His inability to play any position but first means the Yankees are still stuck with no way to rest Sheffield and Matsui.

Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76

I'm not interested in Snow, I think Phillips can do as well as him at this time for less money. I bet he signs for more than one year which is even more reason to pass on him.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    At this juncture, he's an average defender.

He might be passable against righties for a corner player.

He's useless against lefties.

His inability to play any position but first means the Yankees are still stuck with no way to rest Sheffield and Matsui.

Pass.
    In terms of first baseman who can play the outfield, Eduardo Perez, Daryl Ward, BJ Surhoff and Kevin Millar are the only guys on the market.

Craig Wilson may be a good trade option.
    None of these guys are particularly good with their gloves.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    In terms of first baseman who can play the outfield, Eduardo Perez, Daryl Ward, BJ Surhoff and Kevin Millar are the only guys on the market.

Craig Wilson may be a good trade option.
    None of these guys are particularly good with their gloves.
    You don't need someone to play all 3. You just need someone who can play the outfield against righties and a 1B who can play against lefties. That basically allows you to split DH in 3 between Matsui, Sheffield, and Giambi.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by drjeckyl
    Phillips is not an automatic out. Please look at his minor-league numbers before making statements like that. He also has had very limited exposure in the majors (40ABs?), so that is not even worthy of the title "small sample-size".

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    What? To push aside Don Mattingly who was a great fielder even after his back problems caused a decline in his hitting, which even then was superior to that of Snow. Why would you want Snow and Mattingly both, when both had great gloves? Snow never has had the power to be a DH.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Phillips is not an automatic out. Please look at his minor-league numbers before making statements like that. He also has had very limited exposure in the majors (40ABs?), so that is not even worthy of the title "small sample-size".
    At his age there's a reason he's had limited exposure in the majors.

Like he doesn't belong there...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonk
    At his age there's a reason he's had limited exposure in the majors.

Like he doesn't belong there...
    You're saying that based on what? The fact that he hasn't made it yet?

This is getting ridiculous (not aimed at you). Give the guy a chance - he's put up MASSIVE AA/AAA numbers for two years now. He is a decent backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonk
    Snow's best years are far behind him.

I'm sensing a 3 year contract...
    Very funny. What, pray tell, have the Y's done this off season that would suggest giving Snow a 3 year contract? You can hardly compare him to Damon or Farnsworth. You would compare him to Bernie, if you thought about it first.

I would be opposed to this for the reasons BJG said, however.

NYYF Legend

Also, for a further detailed discussion of why (IMO) Phillips is a decent backup, see this thread:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ght=%5DCashman

It's all in there.

I really don't see how we can consider Phillips a decent backup or not. He will probaboyl get over 100 games in as a DH/1B. No telling how his stats both defensively and offensively would look
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

Just say no to JT Snow.

I don't feel comfortable with Phillips playing any other role than late inning defensive replacement. I'd radther have a proven major league hitter.

However, I don't think JT Snow is the answer either. Too old, too much money.

While I am on the fence about Snow, I do not want to see Phillips with any permanent role on the Yankees. He simply can't compete at the major league level. Lots of guys can hang numbers in the minors and fail at the major league level. I just don't think a championship caliber team has a spot for Phillips. I am confident that Giambi can hit lefties better than Phillips. I am confident Snow can hit lefties better than Phillips. I am confident Snow can flash a better glove than Phillips. I understand Phillips has had a small sampling in the majors but a lot of it has to do with how overmatched he has looked at the plate.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    While I am on the fence about Snow, I do not want to see Phillips with any permanent role on the Yankees. He simply can't compete at the major league level. Lots of guys can hang numbers in the minors and fail at the major league level. I just don't think a championship caliber team has a spot for Phillips. I am confident that Giambi can hit lefties better than Phillips. I am confident Snow can hit lefties better than Phillips. I am confident Snow can flash a better glove than Phillips. I understand Phillips has had a small sampling in the majors but a lot of it has to do with how overmatched he has looked at the plate.
    You just disproved your own assertion! You say it's a small sample size, yet you say he's overmatched. Let him get some consistent playing time, he'll hit...

NYYF MVP

Whatever happened to getting younger, faster, and better defensively? JT Snow is a great first basemen, but he certainly isn't young and definetly not fast. Although, he would fit right in with the rest of the moves Cash has made this winter.

Thread Information