+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 125
  1. #26

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I'v been saying they should get Snow for a while now

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Snow would be a very capable backup to Giambi, and an upgrade from Tino of last year, and Andy Phillips for sure.

    He should not cost a ton, his defense is very good, though likely no longer gold glove material.

    Do it.

  3. #28

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    No way to Snow. last year, in about 400 appearances, hit .275/.343/.365, with a whopping 4 HRs. Ugh. If they wanted an older 1B who can play D, Tino, even in his decline, was a much more productive option.

    I'll take my chances that Phillips can exceed that.

    You've gotta consider that a reason Phillips has been in the minors so long might just be that he's in the Yankees system, not that he's poor: if he were, say, a Devil Ray, he might've gotten a shot a few years back.

  4. #29

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I would rather put money on acceptable risks in the bullpen.

    For the money you can spend on Snow, you can let Phillips backup, or in a pinch, bring up Duncan (E or S) and stick two live, but possible erratic or injured arms at AAA. I'd also get Bernie some time at first during spring training just in case Giambi gets injured.

    I'd sign such arms such as Boroski, W. Miller, T. Armas, etc. Hoping that they have rebound years and can help us out in the pen.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    Sam18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    You're saying that based on what? The fact that he hasn't made it yet?


    This is getting ridiculous (not aimed at you). Give the guy a chance - he's put up MASSIVE AA/AAA numbers for two years now. He is a decent backup.
    Seamonk is a met fan pretending to be a Yankee fan. Its not worth it gdn.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

  6. #31

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    You just disproved your own assertion! You say it's a small sample size, yet you say he's overmatched. Let him get some consistent playing time, he'll hit...
    Think of what I said in comparison to Melky. His sample size was fairly small, but he looked out of his league, which is precisely the situation with Phillips, not to mention Phillips is substantially older than Melky so he has pretty much progressed to where he will be, after his time in the minors he should have good numbers. I am not knocking his minor league numbers but I really don't think he has what it takes. He isn't worth the roster spot IMO. If Giambi goes down for a week or more, do you really feel comfortable with Phillips at 1B? And whats worse is that if Giambi is down for a substantial amount of time we will be forced to trade and get dragged over the coals midseason or sign a DFA type of player. In times of plenty, prepare for times of need. Secure the best roster we can now and we will fare better than the past 2 seasons where we had to scramble at the deadline because we had glaring holes.

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    Think of what I said in comparison to Melky. His sample size was fairly small, but he looked out of his league, which is precisely the situation with Phillips, not to mention Phillips is substantially older than Melky so he has pretty much progressed to where he will be, after his time in the minors he should have good numbers. I am not knocking his minor league numbers but I really don't think he has what it takes. He isn't worth the roster spot IMO. If Giambi goes down for a week or more, do you really feel comfortable with Phillips at 1B? And whats worse is that if Giambi is down for a substantial amount of time we will be forced to trade and get dragged over the coals midseason or sign a DFA type of player. In times of plenty, prepare for times of need. Secure the best roster we can now and we will fare better than the past 2 seasons where we had to scramble at the deadline because we had glaring holes.
    Melky is no Phillips... yet. Phillips minor league numbers blow Melky's out of the water. Additionally, Melky looked lost in CF and was overmatched at the plate because he was rushed. Phillips hasn't been rushed. He just hasn't been given a chance. If you look at the thread I linked to above, I looked at his progress year-by-year to see why he wasn't called up sooner. Simply put, there was no room at all. He mashed and mashed at AAA, putting up ridiculous OBPs. He needs more than 40ABs to settle in at the major league level. He deserves that one shot, IMO and comes cheap too. He's not a bad fielder, either.

  8. #33

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    Think of what I said in comparison to Melky. His sample size was fairly small, but he looked out of his league, which is precisely the situation with Phillips, not to mention Phillips is substantially older than Melky so he has pretty much progressed to where he will be, after his time in the minors he should have good numbers. I am not knocking his minor league numbers but I really don't think he has what it takes. He isn't worth the roster spot IMO. If Giambi goes down for a week or more, do you really feel comfortable with Phillips at 1B? And whats worse is that if Giambi is down for a substantial amount of time we will be forced to trade and get dragged over the coals midseason or sign a DFA type of player. In times of plenty, prepare for times of need. Secure the best roster we can now and we will fare better than the past 2 seasons where we had to scramble at the deadline because we had glaring holes.
    The only meaning you can really pull out of Phillips age at this point is that, over the course of a whole season, this is probably as good as he's going to get. In other words, he's not projectable in a long term sense. That doesn't mean that he, or any player, is going to walk in the door and have no adjustment to a new level.

    ZIPS projects .260/.326 /.471 for Phillips. That's certainly above replacement level.

  9. #34
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I like Snow and being he's an old Yankee farm hand who defense is second to non I'm kind of upset because I had hope Andy would get a real shot this year.

  10. #35

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I understand the idea that Phillips MAY perform a lot better than he has in his limited major league exposure, however it is a question mark. I just feel that it would be important to get a veteran and erase any doubt. Phillips will not get the everyday at bats to get his bat going, because Bernie will likely take on the DH role, especially given how much Joe likes him. Rather than risk it on Phillips and be forced to admit failure midseason and pay a king's ransom for a backup 1b because thats what teams will ask of the Yankees, why not get someone right now? I have nothing against Phillips but the 1B role will be a strange one for the Yankees because they will play more often than most backups but not often enough to get consistant plate appearances, IMO. I don't think it is a good environment for Phillips.

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    How are you so sure JT will do well with such limited play? I don't doubt his glove but he's used to being a starter.

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend

    JeffWeaverFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NYC

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I think this quote from the 2005 Baseball Prospectus book fits well here:

    "But sometimes it pays to take a tactical risk rather than bet on the definitively mediocre."

    Now that was in reference to Robinson Cano vs. Tony Womack and that is not a fair comparison to Phillips vs. Snow, but I think Andy Phillips deserves a shot.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

  13. #38
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I like the fact Andy is a righty also.

  14. #39

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Trade Bubba Crosby for hee-sup Choi.

    and Sign Eric Byrnes
    SoxSucks!!

    "It was a blessing."
    -Roger Clemens, in regards to leaving the Red Sox

  15. #40
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Byrnes will get more money and playing time else where.I like his game but would be suprised to see him in pinstipes.

  16. #41

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan
    How are you so sure JT will do well with such limited play? I don't doubt his glove but he's used to being a starter.
    He is a vet who has already proved himself at the major league level, that is owed a certain degree of trust. Phillips on the other hand is someone who needs to be developed into a major league caliber player and typically that doesn't happen when in a role that will be as limited as his. I also fear Joe overworking Giambi out of not wanting to use Phillips so much.

  17. #42

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by YankClipper5
    If Giambi goes down for a week or more, do you really feel comfortable with Phillips at 1B? And whats worse is that if Giambi is down for a substantial amount of time we will be forced to trade and get dragged over the coals midseason or sign a DFA type of player.
    The thing is, J.T. Snow is a "DFA type of player".

  18. #43
    Released Outright Kulish29's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Where it's Summer and then Summer-lite.

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by haha17
    Trade Bubba Crosby for hee-sup Choi.

    and Sign Eric Byrnes
    Why would the Dodgers trade Choi to the Yankees for someone they basically gave to the Yankees a few years ago?

    Also, why would Eric Byrnes sign with the Yankees when there are places where he could get a lot more playing time? And why should the Yankees sign Eric Byrnes considering they have pretty much the same player, albeit left handed, in Bubba Crosby?

    They'd be better served letting Phillips play 1B/DH and keeping Crosby as a 4th OF'er.

  19. #44
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I think that if the Yankees plan to offer him anything more than a 1 year contract they would be doing something foolish. I'd rather give Phillips the chance or go with someone else.
    [b][i][color=#990000]"Shut up you guys (1933 Pittsburg Pirates) or I'll put on a Yankee uniform and scare the sh** out of you." - Waite Hoyt[/color][/i][/b]

  20. #45
    BANG! StatenIslandYankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Now that would be a good pickup.

  21. #46
    Non-Tendered Irabu's Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Binghamton NY

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    You're saying that based on what? The fact that he hasn't made it yet?


    This is getting ridiculous (not aimed at you). Give the guy a chance - he's put up MASSIVE AA/AAA numbers for two years now. He is a decent backup.
    I tried to fight this fight regarding Fernando Seguignol about 3 years ago and ended up getting RO'd. Not worth it. But I do agree with you.
    "I love Shawn Chacon
    So put another dime in the jukebox baby
    I love Shawn Chacon
    so come and take your time and dance with me." (Snap731)

  22. #47
    NYYF Legend

    gdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    your face

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by Irabu's Son
    I tried to fight this fight regarding Fernando Seguignol about 3 years ago and ended up getting RO'd. Not worth it. But I do agree with you.
    Really? Hmm ok, I'll let it go. He's doing just fine in my 2k5 team, for what it's worth

  23. #48
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    I like this idea.
    Life is good!

  24. #49
    Released Outright keithf1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bowie, MD

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    One of the few benefits of getting JT Snow would be that so Boston can't.

  25. #50

    Re: Yanks talking to JT Snow?

    Quote Originally Posted by keithf1
    One of the few benefits of getting JT Snow would be that so Boston can't.
    That could also be a disadvantage. Boston would likely be much better off just playing Youkilis and Petagine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts