+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yankees Most Verstaile Hitter: Jeter

Sort of a statement and a question to all. I think DJ is the most versatile hitter on this team. He can bat 1-9 and adjust to each particular spot.

I think the second most versatile might just be Cano, or maybe he is a season or two away from that. Needs more patience.

That being said, I think DJ shoudl definetely bat second. Has more pop than Damon, a bit of a better eye (which I'm sure might justify him in the leadoff spot) and having seen him play so often...hits behing runners well.

Any thoughts?

NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees Most Verstaile Hitter: Jeter

Jeter is not a bopper, so it would be very unlikely that he would bat in the 3-4-5 spots.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Alex Rodriguez is not only the most versitile hitter on the team, but probably the most versitile all around player in the league. He hits for power, hits for average, gets on base, runs well, and plays great defense (at 2 positions) on top of it all.
    ~John

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get across. Jeter is a decent leadoff guy but is better suited for batting 2nd in this lineup. Anywhere else and Jeter just does not fit in right. 1-2 ok, but 3-9 is ridiculous. Especially when Jeter is no type of slugger at all. I think you might be meaning to point out that DJ is just one pretty good hitter with them "intangibles" we keep hearing about. He isn't however, the most "versatile" player on the Yanks or whatever that means.

Regroup - Reload - Revenge! 23and2's Avatar

Something cool about Jeter.... In the last 3 years:

Batting 1st: .307/.380/.478 (988 ABs)
    Batting 2nd: .307/.378/.438 (648 ABs)

He's so darn consistent. Not much of a difference...

That's what I love about Jeter's offensive game. He's reliable.
    [U]Thanks, Frank [/U]
    "We'll try to take that extra million-one and spend it wisely in the free-agent market," - Brian Cashman after trading away Womack - 12/08/05

Look at his stats when he was behind Knoblaugh.

A-Rod is more versatile. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    Alex Rodriguez is not only the most versitile hitter on the team, but probably the most versitile all around player in the league. He hits for power, hits for average, gets on base, runs well, and plays great defense (at 2 positions) on top of it all.

That about sums it up.

Villanova University for school, Jersey Shore for my home

What do you mean by most versatile? Any good hitter with speed can adjust to any spot in the order. Jeter gets on base and is fast enough to bat 1st or 2nd, he handles the bat well enough, he has enough power (although that may be a stretch) to bat 3rd-6th, and he's certainly good enough to bat 7th-9th. Same with A-Rod, same with Sheffield. Giambi and Matsui might not be fast enough to bat leadoff, but Matsui could probably bat 2nd. Cano doesn't walk enough to bad leadoff, but he could go anywhere else.

Quite frankly, where you bat in an order is overrated because it changes every inning.

NYYF MVP

It's going to be interesting to see how they adjust to pitching to Jeter. Now he will have a man on first a lot. They usually pitch him outside. Now i don't think they will want to give him outside pitches with a fast runner on 1st. Will the pitchers be able to adjust" Will Jeter be able to adjust to more pitches over the plate?This will be very interesting! If they do stay outside on him we will see a lot of hit and run.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M61
    It's going to be interesting to see how they adjust to pitching to Jeter. Now he will have a man on first a lot. They usually pitch him outside. Now i don't think they will want to give him outside pitches with a fast runner on 1st. Will the pitchers be able to adjust" Will Jeter be able to adjust to more pitches over the plate?This will be very interesting! If they do stay outside on him we will see a lot of hit and run.
    Jeter gets pitched outside? He gets jammed in to counter his propensity to take it the other way. I'd always hoped that he would try to adjust to that and at least try to pull very pullable pitchers. This is how he turned around his 2004 season, but he reverted last year.

Forum Regular

I must say Jeter is probably, and has always been, my favorite Yankee (yeahyeah I'm something like ... 6-8 years a Yankee fan). One of his great benefits is his adjustable offense: he's able to do anything: ask and you shall receive.
    When we compare him to Arod; one thing jumps out: Arod is someone who really has everything: Jeter is much less a powerhitter / slugger than Arod is.
    Therefor: Arod is more 'versatile'. Jeter is a great 2nd tho.
    [img]http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14999[/img]
    [url=http://freeandjustice.blogspot.com.]Liberty and Justice[/url]

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by NYYRoadFan
    Sort of a statement and a question to all. I think DJ is the most versatile hitter on this team. He can bat 1-9 and adjust to each particular spot.

I think the second most versatile might just be Cano, or maybe he is a season or two away from that. Needs more patience.

That being said, I think DJ shoudl definetely bat second. Has more pop than Damon, a bit of a better eye (which I'm sure might justify him in the leadoff spot) and having seen him play so often...hits behing runners well.

Any thoughts?
    I agree. For some time now he has been the most versatile hitter on the team. He can do it all.

Jeter will get lots of pitches to hit. Nobody will want to put him on base (making 2 men on many times) with ARod, Sheff, and Giambi taking swings behind him.

2 on, nobody out to start a game for the Yankees should mean a great opportunity to take a big lead early.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeClemens22
    Jeter will get lots of pitches to hit. Nobody will want to put him on base (making 2 men on many times) with ARod, Sheff, and Giambi taking swings behind him.

2 on, nobody out to start a game for the Yankees should mean a great opportunity to take a big lead early.
    That is the point that i tried to make. It seems to me that he should see better pitches this year. Pitchers don't want him to go to rt field with speed on 1st. I remember an Expo team that had 2 speedsters at the top of the order and they drove pitchers crazy. They would throw to first 20 times and lose their concentration to the batter a lot.

That is the point that i tried to make. It seems to me that he should see better pitches this year. Pitchers don't want him to go to rt field with speed on 1st. I remember an Expo team that had 2 speedsters at the top of the order and they drove pitchers crazy. They would throw to first 20 times and lose their concentration to the batter a lot.
    The Yankees aren't going to start stealing bases. Damon will likely run as often as he did in Boston. Beyond that, it's the same guys hitting behind Jeter as hit behind him last year. Even with a man on, I don't see why teams would stop pitching him the way they pitch him now, which is to pound him in.

A-Rod is but Jeter is 2nd on the team. A-Rod can do everything Jeter can do but for more power. I'm not sure how A-Rod is as a bunter but that's the only thing I can think of. If you want to bring clutch hitting in to the picture, than that's a whole other argument .

I think that Rodriguez is the most versitile hitter on the team. I don't think that Cano is anywhere close to being the second most versitile right now, though I hope that he improves in the coming years, mostly with his OBP. (And I think that there's a pretty good chance that he will, just because he's so young, and 2005 was his first year.)
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Triple Crown

Most verstaile is A-Rod. Jeter is a reliable hitter, but he couldn't bat 3rd,4th,5th. (what am I saying, have we seen him in this spot? same w/ a-rod) just assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by 23and2
    Something cool about Jeter.... In the last 3 years:

Batting 1st: .307/.380/.478 (988 ABs)
    Batting 2nd: .307/.378/.438 (648 ABs)

He's so darn consistent. Not much of a difference...
    That is a significant difference. Based on 1000 at-bats he created 182 runs batting leadoff, and 166 runs batting second.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter Kid
    Most verstaile is A-Rod. Jeter is a reliable hitter, but he couldn't bat 3rd,4th,5th. (what am I saying, have we seen him in this spot? same w/ a-rod) just assumptions.
    Jeter has hit 3rd and 4th a few years back. I'm not sure about 5th though.

No question about this. The most versatile hitter on the yankees is Hideki Matsui. You ask him to get a hit in any situation and he will. Without a doubt is he more versatile than A-rod and Jeter. They are both great hitters and Jeter is clutch but you must give this title to Matsui.
    [B][COLOR=blue][SIZE=5][COLOR=black][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby18
    No question about this. The most versatile hitter on the yankees is Hideki Matsui. You ask him to get a hit in any situation and he will. Without a doubt is he more versatile than A-rod and Jeter. They are both great hitters and Jeter is clutch but you must give this title to Matsui.
    You múst be kidding about that man.
    [img]http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14999[/img]
    [url=http://freeandjustice.blogspot.com.]Liberty and Justice[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanmack
    Quite frankly, where you bat in an order is overrated because it changes every inning.
    That is exactly right. The only thing the order is good for is to have clusters of hitters that work well together. However, who bats leadoff or 5th or whatever really carries very little meaning in and of itself.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ring403

Agreed. He is still not in my top 3 fav current Yanks, though (which is no knock--he is obviously the best player in the game)
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information