+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2006 team all but complete

with Damon, looks like our work is done, let me know if I missed anything.boy, top 6 of the lineup is scary!

CF Damon
    SS Jeter
    LF Matsui
    3B A-Rod
    RF Sheffield
    1B Giambi
    C Posada
    2B Cano
    DH Williams

backup outfield - Bubba
    backup infield - Cairo/Phillips??
    backup catcher - Stinnett

Pitching
    Johnson
    Mussina
    Pavano
    Wang
    Chacon
    Wright
    Small
    Sturtze
    Myers
    Vallone
    Dotel
    Farnsworth
    Rivera

seems the only move left is a backup infielder, or do we cut a pitcher and add to the bench?

Registered

Re: 2006 team all but complete

Quote Originally Posted by joesalto
    with Damon, looks like our work is done, let me know if I missed anything.boy, top 6 of the lineup is scary!

CF Damon
    SS Jeter
    LF Matsui
    3B A-Rod
    RF Sheffield
    1B Giambi
    C Posada
    2B Cano
    DH Williams

backup outfield - Bubba

Pitching
    Johnson
    Mussina
    Pavano
    Wang
    Chacon
    Wright
    Small
    Sturtze
    Myers
    Vallone
    Dotel
    Farnsworth
    Rivera

seems the only move left is a backup infielder, or do we cut a pitcher and add to the bench?

If Bernie is our DH our work is not done.

how about Durazo for DH??

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    how about Durazo for DH??

so we have to add another bench guy to get done and an open invite for Clemens. I give Cashman a B+ this offseason..he should get an A just for finding someone to take Womack!

NYYF Legend

the bench is horrible right now

i like durazo though
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF MVP

Lineup looks great on paper, but we say that every year. Hopefully this year will be diff.
    Pain Heals. Chicks Dig Scars. Glory Lasts Forever.

We need to do that trade with Philly for Michaels (RF) and move Sheff to 1B/DH. Then fill the bench with USEFUL players, and we're set.

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    We need to do that trade with Philly for Michaels (RF) and move Sheff to 1B/DH. Then fill the bench with USEFUL players, and we're set.

we'd have to move Sturtze and Proctor. I dont know if the Phils would take it since Boston needs a centerfielder now

NYYF Legend

I already posted this but that Damon thread is insane and is more applicable here anyway.

We have 13 pitchers and don't need a CF anymore. insane trade mania for defensive RF and 1B/DH solution commence now now now

I'm concerned about Giambi breaking down. I think 1st base should be addressed even for defensive purposes.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    I'm concerned about Giambi breaking down. I think 1st base should be addressed even for defensive purposes.
    no love for andy phillips?
    URI Wiffleball MVP, Cy Young and Gold glove winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack

I think Phillips would be ok to give Giambi a few days to DH a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    I already posted this but that Damon thread is insane and is more applicable here anyway.

We have 13 pitchers and don't need a CF anymore. insane trade mania for defensive RF and 1B/DH solution commence now now now

It seems we have 4 chips right now to fill that need. Do we use them now or wait till July

Sturtze, Proctor, Small and Bubba(to find a better hitting defensive outfielder)

NYYF MVP

It seems we have 4 chips right now to fill that need. Do we use them now or wait till July

Sturtze, Proctor, Small and Bubba(to find a better hitting defensive outfielder)
    Our chips suck..
    Pain Heals. Chicks Dig Scars. Glory Lasts Forever.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sheff_Rod
    Our chips suck..
    I agree, how much could we really got for those three?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey mantle
    I agree, how much could we really got for those three?

we are only looking to fill out our bench. I think Proctor or Small can yield the most

Quote Originally Posted by mickey mantle
    no love for andy phillips?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent
    I think Phillips would be ok to give Giambi a few days to DH a week.
    I think the Yanks should have their eyes on a more permanent solution. And, mm? Who wouldn't want a Phillips on their team????

NYYF Legend

I want more bullpen help. I'm really not sold on Farnsworth/Sturtze as our set up guys. I'd LOVE to get Tavarez, though be careful, because Dotel will be readyby May/June.

That being said, I'd like another set up guy. Remember how the Angels beat us. Their bullpen is amazing. I want ours' to be like that. It's not there yet.

We also need some more cogs for the bench, but I'm alot less concerned about that.

Addicted Member

backup outfield - Bubba

what about escalona? cant he be a backup guy next year or no?

what about BJ Surhoff? He can play 1st, pinch hit and some outfield if needed. he is a FA. We can get him for 1 year. He also was born in the area.
    downside - AGE

what about BJ Surhoff? He can play 1st, pinch hit and some outfield if needed. he is a FA. We can get him for 1 year. He also was born in the area.
    downside - AGE
    He hit .257...I'm not sure he would be much of an upgrade over Bernie, and he bats left.

I just realized Durazo was a free agent....(I was wondering where all of this Durazo love came from).....commence bitch-slapping NOW.

But honestly.....I'm lukewarm about the Damon signing because it fills two needs for now, and hopefully we don't trade away Melky Cabrera or do anything stupid to our farm system because in the last half of that contract is when we start bringing up some more prospects that project to be with us for a while.....yeah, all we need is a backup infielder and here comes AL East pennant number something in a row (I lost count)

I think the bullpen is set (great job by Cash, he did about as well as it was possible to do this offseason imo). I think Cairo will be the utility guy, Stinnett backup C, (which I'm not thrilled about, but it's done)Crosby 4th OF/pinchrunner, and Bernie switch-hit pinchitter/occasional starter. Honestly, although we need a backup 1B because of Giambi's fragility, (too bad the drays kept Lee) I want to see Jason out there pretty much every day because throughout his career he has been SUCH a better hitter when he's playing the field...makes up for his limited range and poor throwing. So if we wanted to go get J.T. Snow or someone like that, alright, but I want to see Jason in the field.

So the big hole is DH. I would have loved to see Nomar come, but he didn't want to. I wouldn't mind seeing Bernie DH now and then, but not every day. What are some other options besides Durazo. Of course we could use our pitching cornucopia to pry someone away. Getting Michaels for right and dh-ing sheff would be nice.

Another thing I'd like to see, although I know it won't happen, is this: Bengie Molina missed out on a big long-term deal this year, and I read that he wants to get a one year deal and try for a multi-year deal next offseason. Wouldn't it be great to sign him to play catcher this year, even for a one year deal, and have Jo Po DH? Molina's better defensively, less wear and tear would slow Jorge's decline, and since he wouldn't be starting at catcher, his massive option wouldn't kick in. He probably wouldn't be thrilled about that, but I would love to see it happen.
    In Mo We Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    I agree that the Y's have one more move like this to make. Get another OFer with a good bat and arm and legs to play RF and allow Shef to spend most of his time rotating with Giambi at first and DH and spending little lime in RF. Signing Cairo for utility IF and Bernie as a PH and 5th OFer, partly for sentimental sake I admit, then would round out a 14 player and 11 pitcher roster.

The move might be best made in ST, however. As others, including Cash, have said, teams look for pitching then and the Y's bargaining leverage will be even greater. Michaels would be a good option. But there might be even a better deal to be made.

Of course the Y's could spend more and sign Jacques Jones for this spot, but I don't believe they will given the payroll.

Thread Information