+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread

\m/ rise against. \m/

The Beer Thread

By popular demand, and my own request, here's the place we can recommend/warn our fellow forumers about beer selection. Without trying to rule with an iron fist, i'd suggest these two rules:

1. there's no need to talk about bud, miller, coors, etc. i think we all know they're garbage in comparision.

2. give locations. most beer isn't distributed nationally, so it could be hard to find certain beers in certain areas.

to start off, personally, i prefer drinking fruit-based beers in the winter, specifically sam adams cherry wheat. i've also had dogfish head's aprihop but it wasn't as fruity as i would have thought. any suggestions?
    last.fm | myspace
    "i like my coffee black. just like my metal."

Pick me. Choose me. Love me. SuperMario66's Avatar
    Just between I wish I could and I don't know

Re: The Official Beer Thread.

Wow, it just hit noon here - and there's a beer thread.
    --Misti

Has anybody noticed we have a color option called "lemon chiffon?"

Quote Originally Posted by Smithers
    By popular demand, and my own request, here's the place we can recommend/warn our fellow forumers about beer selection. Without trying to rule with an iron fist, i'd suggest these two rules:

1. there's no need to talk about bud, miller, coors, etc. i think we all know they're garbage in comparision.

2. give locations. most beer isn't distributed nationally, so it could be hard to find certain beers in certain areas.

to start off, personally, i prefer drinking fruit-based beers in the winter, specifically sam adams cherry wheat. i've also had dogfish head's aprihop but it wasn't as fruity as i would have thought. any suggestions?
    Cherry Wheat is spectacular. Never had Aprihop. My friends and I were going to do the 12 Beers of Christmas for our holiday party until we decided that mixing that many heavy winter beers would be a poor decision.

I have had Bad Elf and Very Bad Elf (I believe distributed in New England by Shelton Brothers) both were pretty good.

NYYF Legend

My favorite (non miller lite) beer is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. It's ridiculously good.

I tried the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin this past Fall (well I guess it is still officially Fall) and it was really good.

This thread is going to be torture at work.
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

"Only the good die young"

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule69
    My favorite (non miller lite) beer is Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. It's ridiculously good.

I tried the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin this past Fall (well I guess it is still officially Fall) and it was really good.

This thread is going to be torture at work.
    LOVE Sea Dog. Harvest pumpkin is good too. This thread will clearly be the death of me at work.

NYYF Triple Crown

Lately I've been drinking Harpoon's UFO which is really good when I'm not drinking Molson Canadian.
    Burns: I wonder if this Homer Nixon is any relation?
    Smithers: Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their names differently.

\m/ rise against. \m/

Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23
    Cherry Wheat is spectacular. Never had Aprihop.
    dogfish head, which is based in delaware, makes these two OUTSTANDING IPAs, the 60 minute IPA and the 90 minute IPA. they're expensive, like 8 bucks for a 4 pack, but they're both amazing.

i am somewhat biased though, as i love pale ales. sierra nevada's pale ale is a staple beer for me.

i've had the sea dog blueberry, but i really wasn't blown away by it. call me crazy, but i think half of it had to do with the horrible looking labels and packaging.
    last.fm | myspace

If it isn't too much to ask, could you start your sentences with capital letters? Thanks.
    --Misti

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JWHIII
    Lately I've been drinking Harpoon's UFO which is really good when I'm not drinking Molson Canadian.
    Do you ever get it from the Harpoon brewery? I swear the beer that you get directly from there is like liquid crack it gets you completely wasted very easily.
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

Career Minor Leaguer 1TonHumanHamsterWheel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario66
    Wow, it just hit noon here - and there's a beer thread.
    It's 5:00 somewhere!

Away, I have to agree with the Dogfish Head IPA's. Other brewers I recommend are Great Lakes in Cleveland (and their Dortmunder Gold), and Stone in San Diego (makers of the notorious Arrogant Bastard).
    Imperium Referiat!

When I walked in through the door/ Thought it was me I was looking for/ She was the first song I ever sang/ But it stopped as soon as it began...

Lets Get This Dog To Hunt! 51BWilliams's Avatar

As for local beer, I like all sorts of stuff from the Ithaca Brewery. Save for the IPA and the Double IPA, which is swill in my opinion

However, Nothing holds a candle to the creamy smooth delights of a pint of Guinness, be it from the tap, or the pint size cans. I love this stuff. I have one a day. No more, no less. 1 beer a day. 15 cans from BJ's for 15 bucks is like God said 'Let him have beer', and it was good.

My brother also makes this Chocolate beer that is guinness-like in it's texture and finish, but has a chocolatey flavor to it. It;s dang good. It knocks me on my duff tho, I can't have more than two or I get a little tipsy.
    (Disclaimer: This post not subject to the irony of statements like 'Be careful what you wish for'. I will not be bitten in the ass without prior written consent)

I don't know what you guys are talking about - Natty Lite.

Nothing else can please a girl like me.
    --Misti

Do you ever get it from the Harpoon brewery? I swear the beer that you get directly from there is like liquid crack it gets you completely wasted very easily.
    Tell me more about this liquid crack . . .

NYYF Triple Crown

I have not, but with this new information I will remedy that problem soon enough.
    Burns: I wonder if this Homer Nixon is any relation?
    Smithers: Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their names differently.

FormerlyKnownAsMHHL FormerlyKnownAsMHHL's Avatar

If I had to pick a subject that I've spent the most time "researching" and know the most about, it would probably be beer.

There is a terrific microbrewer here on the island Blue Point.
    Favorite microbrew on the east coast is Magic Hat.
    Favorite imports are Hoegaarden and Leffe.

\m/ rise against. \m/

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyKnownAsMHHL
    If I had to pick a subject that I've spent the most time "researching" and know the most about, it would probably be beer.

There is a terrific microbrewer here on the island Blue Point.
    Favorite microbrew on the east coast is Magic Hat.
    Favorite imports are Hoegaarden and Leffe.
    Magic hat was better before they retired humble patience, that was my favorite one. Not really a fan of fat angel or hocus pocus.

Imports . . . i dont drink all too often, outside of the nationally distributed ones (harp, etc.). I've had hacker pschorr, which is okay but not great. The only one that sticks in my head was "fin du monde" which i had in canada. Amazing.

Has anybody had the top of the line imports like Duvel, Celebrator, etc.? Just wondering which of those are worth the time. I haven't really opened that door yet.

(super mario, i had to go back and put in the caps for you.)
    last.fm | myspace

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MTYankee23
    Tell me more about this liquid crack . . .
    It's great. I've been to the HarpoonFest a few times and you get all sorts of messed up on just a few beers. It's really strange, actually.

I love their UFO (I always call it Hefeweizen) especially with a lemon in it.

Yay. Thank you! Much easier to read now!
    --Misti

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Smithers
    Magic hat was better before they retired humble patience, that was my favorite one. Not really a fan of fat angel or hocus pocus.

Imports . . . i dont drink all too often, outside of the nationally distributed ones (harp, etc.). I've had hacker pschorr, which is okay but not great. The only one that sticks in my head was "fin du monde" which i had in canada. Amazing.

Has anybody had the top of the line imports like Duvel, Celebrator, etc.? Just wondering which of those are worth the time. I haven't really opened that door yet.

(super mario, i had to go back and put in the caps for you.)
    Duvel... yummy. I like a lot of Belgian beers, especially Wittekirk (a white beer aka a wheat beer). Chimay red is quite nice but Chimay blue has been nicknamed "barfenbrau" in my household. It's extra syrupy and kinda nasty. I'm afraid of the Chimay gold, which is supposed to be even more "rich" than the blue.

As far as what I'd order in a bar... Newcastle Brown is still my #1 favorite. I also like Bass Ale, which is usually easier to find than Newcastle. My husband really introduced me to Stella Artois (Belgian as well), which is one fine lager. If I'm at a place that has absolute crap on tap, a bottle of Heineken or Amstel Light can usually suffice.

We recently enjoyed Kronenbourg, which is beginning to be distributed more widely in this country...

But if you find yourself in Ireland, nothing can really beat a Guinness. (They brew it differently for export locales.)

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Anyone ever tried Duff?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Pabst Blue Ribbon. You cant beat 6 bucks for a 12 pack.

NYYF Legend

See... I might be in the minority here. I prefer quality over quantity. I actually want to taste my alcohol. And if tastes like crap, I stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    See... I might be in the minority here. I prefer quality over quantity. I actually want to taste my alcohol. And if tastes like crap, I stay away.
    Pabst is good quality. It did win a Blue Ribbon ya know.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kulish29
    Pabst Blue Ribbon. You cant beat 6 bucks for a 12 pack.
    If you live near a Trader Joe's that sells alcohol, run there now and get a 6 pack of Export Gold. It's a lager from New Zealand. They sell both cans and bottles. I've only ever gotten the bottles. $3 a sixpack.

Best. Buy. Ever.

Blue Moon is actually one of my favorites. Has a nice, different taste.

Thread Information