+ Reply to Thread
    Looking ahead to 2009... RIyankee's Avatar

Merry Christmas!!! and Happy Chanukah!!! The NFL: Week# 16

Saturday, Dec. 24
    Atlanta at Tampa Bay 1:00 p.m.
    Both of these teams are coming off bitter road defeats. The Bucs must get their running game back on track. Michael Vick needs to step up and play better or he'll be watching the playoffs on TV. With the Bucs at home and Atlanta's defense floundering, I expect Tampa to rebound this week.
    Buccaneers 24-14

Buffalo at Cincinnati 1:00 p.m.
    Cincy's regular season is not over yet. They still have to beat out Denver for the #2 seed and a bye. The Bills are positioning themselves for one of the top 3 picks in next April's draft.
    Bengals 34-10

Dallas at Carolina 1:00 p.m.
    Wow!!! What a stink bomb the Cowboys laid at Washington last week. The Panthers 4th ranked rushing defense (and 4th in allowing 3.5 ypc) combined with Dallas being ranked 27th with 3.5 ypc, means that the Cowboys will once again have to throw the pigskin to win. The Redskins seemed to be aware of this and concentrated on stopping the pass. Moreover, Carolina's pass defense ranks 2nd in passing yards per attempt and 3rd in opponents QB rating. The Cowboys have dug a hole for themselves, one from which they might not get out.
    Panthers 24-23

Detroit at New Orleans (San Antonio, TX) 1:00 p.m.
    This could be the last game in San Antonio. The NFL is expected to win a showdown with Saints owner Tom Benson that will force his team to remain in Louisiana. Meanwhile, this game is all about draft positioning.
    Saints 17-14

Jacksonville at Houston 1:00 p.m.
    Maybe the Jags were feeling down after losing again to the Colts. It's hard to get ready for a team like the 49ers under those conditions. Or, maybe this team needs a house call from Dr. Heimlich. The Texans swept them in 2004 and almost beat them in Jacksonville this year. I have to think Jack Del Rio's job is on the line right now.
    Jaguars 27-17

N.Y. Giants at Washington 1:00 p.m.
    The Redskins 35-7 thrashing of Dallas was one of those "Branch Rickey" games. The Giants win over a tough Chiefs team was more impressive. If Tom Coughlin gets COY, you'll hear no complaints from me. That Giants defense is really impressive and if they can avoid turnovers and if Feely can remain competent, there no reason they can't go to Detroit.
    Giants 24-7

Pittsburgh at Cleveland 1:00 p.m.
    The Steelers are being saved by a soft latter schedule. However, the Browns will be up for them. Defensively, the Browns rank 4th in passing ypa and 15th in opponents QB rating. However, the Steelers defense ranks in the top 10 in every important category (both rushing and passing). This could be a tough, low-scoring game for the Steelers.
    Steelers 16-6

San Diego at Kansas City 1:00 p.m.
    The Chiefs must win out and hope that the Steelers and/or Jags choke. San Diego's defense dominated a high-powered Colts offense. It would be a shame if the Chargers miss out on the playoffs since they are a better team than Denver and could be the best team in the NFL. If they do get in, they will be dangerous to any team that has to face them. Shawn Merriman could be defensive rookie of the year.
    Chargers 31-24

San Francisco at St. Louis 1:00 p.m.
    The Niners almost pulled off a huge road upset last week. Ryan Fitzpatrick should have a big game against the worst passing defense in the league.
    Rams 38-10

Tennessee at Miami 1:00 p.m.
    Tennessee blew a 24-14 lead against Seattle last week. Miami had a letdown when they struggled to beat the Jets. Saban will get his team more motivated this week.
    Dolphins 28-21

Philadelphia at Arizona 4:05 p.m.
    I guess Denny Green wants Reggie Bush too.
    Eagles 17-13

Indianapolis at Seattle 4:15 p.m.
    The Colts are 13-1 and have dominated weak teams, but they have had to battle against quality opponents. Now, they face another at Seattle. The Seahawks still have yet to clinch the NFC #1 seed. The Colts have nothing to play for now.
    Seahawks 38-31

Oakland at Denver 4:15 p.m.
    The Raiders couldn't have visited Mile High at a better time. The Broncos will clinch the AFC West with a win this week.
    Broncos 31-17

Sunday, Dec. 25
    Chicago at Green Bay 5:00 p.m.
    Brett Favre is good for 2 turnovers, at least. The Bears defense has carried this team into the playoffs.
    Bears 20-10

Minnesota at Baltimore 8:30 p.m.
    The NFL stipulates every team to be featured in at least one primetime contest (either Sunday night or Monday night) per season. The Ravens have been in FOUR primetime games. After this season, that won't happen again for quite some time. Reality finally caught up with Minnesota last week.
    Vikings 20-16

Monday, Dec. 26
    New England at N.Y. Jets 9:00 p.m.
    It's official, the Pats will not get a playoff bye this year. However, don't worry Jets fans. The Pats won't lay down on MNF. The Pats defense has allowed only 10 points in their last 3 games. Since Richard Seymour's return, the New England has moved from 27th in rushing defense to 6th. They also rank 6th in allowing 3.6 ypc on the ground.
    Patriots 24-6
    Last edited by RIyankee; 12-19-05 at 01:23 PM.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://junkscience.com/"]Junk Science[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Re: Merry Christmas!!! and Happy Chanukah!!! The NFL: Week# 16

That Giants-Redskins game is very interesting. The Washington fans, led by Dan Snyder, have awaken and they now hold the final NFC Wild Card spot. Their win over Dallas was impressive in scoring, but I cannot believe just how awful the Cowboys were.

Eli Manning still needs to get a road victory over a quality team, basically because I'm sick of hearing that knock.

I thought the Giants would lose to Kansas City Chiefs, but I like them in DC next weekend.

New York Giants 23 Washington Redskins 14
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Released Outright

N.Y. Giants at Washington 1:00 p.m.
    The Redskins 35-7 thrashing of Dallas was one of those "Branch Rickey" games. The Giants win over a tough Chiefs team was more impressive. If Tom Coughlin gets COY, you'll hear no complaints from me. That Giants defense is really impressive and if they can avoid turnovers and if Feely can remain competent, there no reason they can't go to Detroit.
    Giants 24-7
    Homer, party of one, your table is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by YankyDave
    Hey, I call them as I see them.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][U][URL="http://reason.com/"]Reason Online[/URL]
    [URL="http://reason.tv/"]Drew Carey Project[/URL][/U][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by YankyDave
    Dave, my apologies!!!

Great win for your team!!!

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Whew! At least the Cowboys get to live another day.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Buffalo at Cincinnati 1:00 p.m.
    Cincy's regular season is not over yet. They still have to beat out Denver for the #2 seed and a bye. The Bills are positioning themselves for one of the top 3 picks in next April's draft.
    Bengals 34-10
    Who dey? Who dey?

I don't know what's more amazing, that my team won on the road or that two percent of Yahoo users actually predicted they'd win.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball: Boras's Holdouts
    NYYFans Fantasy Football: Norwood's Wide Rights

NYYF Legend

I'm pumped the 49ers won.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive
    Who dey? Who dey?

I don't know what's more amazing, that my team won on the road or that two percent of Yahoo users actually predicted they'd win.
    This shakes up the playoff picture a bit.

it just amazes me how many times in sports we see a team that has NOTHING to play for (Buffalo) beat a team that is playing a game with playoff importance (Cincinnati)

its inexcusable when it happens....yet it happens often...its something I've never understood. A team like Cincinnati should just run a team like Buffalo out of the building....the Bengals should have came into that game fired up and focused, and a team like the Bills you figure would just be going thru the motions and hoping the season ends.

if I was the Colts...I'd be a little concerned with how the defense has played the last two weeks. Although I think we may have to cut the team some slack...due to whole tragedy with Dungy.

Go Ricky! Go Ricky! Go Ricky!

Bring on the Patriots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I'm pumped the 49ers won.
    The Reggie Bush bowl: Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers in Week 17.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

What do any of you think of Shaun Alexander asking (more likely demanding) to get back in the game so he could run a one-yard TD to tie Holmes' record?

Last year he was one-yard from the rushing title and was miffed at Holmgren for not getting him in the game to get the yard needed.
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55
    The Reggie Bush bowl: Houston Texans vs. San Francisco 49ers in Week 17.
    Jets and Saints have legit shots. Actually, SF has practically no chance at the #1 pick because of their strength of schedule. As of now, the Jets are tied with the Texans for strength of schedule and the Saints are 2 wins better than the Jets for strength of schedule. So, if the Texans beat the 49ers, the Jets have a really, really good shot at the #1 pick and Reggie Bush.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    Jets and Saints have legit shots. Actually, SF has practically no chance at the #1 pick because of their strength of schedule. As of now, the Jets are tied with the Texans for strength of schedule and the Saints are 2 wins better than the Jets for strength of schedule. So, if the Texans beat the 49ers, the Jets have a really, really good shot at the #1 pick and Reggie Bush.
    I was listening to ESPN radio and when they recapped the game, the guy on the radio said the Ninerss "seriously ruined their chances in the Reggie Bush sweepstakes with their stellar perfermance today" lol.
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesAZ
    I was listening to ESPN radio and when they recapped the game, the guy on the radio said the Ninerss "seriously ruined their chances in the Reggie Bush sweepstakes with their stellar perfermance today" lol.
    Chris Berman's from NFL Prime Time: Gore cost them (the 49ers) Bush!
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by RIyankee
    Saturday, Dec. 24
    Sunday, Dec. 25
    Chicago at Green Bay 5:00 p.m.
    Brett Favre is good for 2 turnovers, at least. The Bears defense has carried this team into the playoffs.
    Bears 20-10
    I have never heard such Farve butt wipers as the FOX announcers in this game. Farve just plain sucked in this game. Every time he threw an inexcusable pick, these guys would instinctively defend him ("he was pressured", "he didn't see it", etc.) The best (worst) of the wiping was after the Packers final drive, whereby Farve, with 0 TOs heading into his last three plays, takes two sacks and throws his 3rd INT with time running out. As soon as the game clock hit :00, one of the announcers said something like, "Farve just dosen't quit, he fights to the end."

Thread Information