+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Melky Could Get A Shot In Spring Training

Re: Melky Could Get A Shot In Spring Training

After watching him last summer, I would have to say that we are better with Bubba. Of course if we let him go somewhere else, we will wind up over paying for him in say, 2009.

NYYF Cy Young

Ahhh...when you can control the media message (a story on their own site), you can help leverage negotiations. Teams holding up Cashman for trades or Damon still being too inflexible because everyone doesn't believe that the Yankees will seriously go with Bubba? Here comes the Melky story, right on time, as an option, with the sure fire reference to Cano to show that it might have some plausibility. Can it happen? Sure it can, but I think it's all part of the game that Cashman is playing right now.
    "I just won you the pennant. I got you Steve Trout."

-- George Steinbrenner to Lou Piniella after trading for Trout from the Cubs, 1987.

NYYF Legend

Glad to see that. I am happy they are going to bring him to ST. It is only time, in my opinion, that it will take for him to be with the big club.
    Sure he didn't do well last year. But even Mickey Mantle had his rough spots in his early years. There is nothing out there on the free agent market for a CF and there is no one available at an affordable price so perhaps Bubba or/and Cabrera can do the job. Time will tell.

That's what's so great with ST. Everyone starts from ground zero.
    I am one who is pulling for Cabrera to make it as a fourth OF with us this year.
    DON'T sign Bernie. He has no place.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Melky had one bad game, yes it was against the Red Sox, he dives and misses a ball, if he catches it hes prob in CF for more time, Bubba made a mistake that prob cost the Yankees a trip to the Division Series, so I think they both had some bad moments in center. Melky is still young and learning.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    Melky had one bad game, yes it was against the Red Sox, he dives and misses a ball, if he catches it hes prob in CF for more time, Bubba made a mistake that prob cost the Yankees a trip to the Division Series, so I think they both had some bad moments in center. Melky is still young and learning.
    Melky had more than one bad game in CF, the game against Boston was the straw that broke that camel's back. As for Bubba, that's his ball to catch it's more Sheff's mistake then his.

NYYF Legend

Good. But he should play in LF or RF.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

If we do go into ST with our CF sitaution unchanged, then it should not be Bubba's job. During ST Melky, Kevin Reese, and Bubba should each get an equal shot to win the job.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Good. He should get a shot. He probably wont win it, but it cant do any harm to see what he can do.

On another note, DePaula is doing decent in the DWL also.

Melky is extremely young, I don't think it's fair to judge a 20 year old based on a few games in a hostile Fenway Park, especially after being hurried into the role. I'd like to see him develop more in the minors. If he's ready by spring training, that would be a huge plus.

NYYF Legend

Is Melky a CF in the Minors and DWL btw?
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Dan Pasqua
    Ahhh...when you can control the media message (a story on their own site), you can help leverage negotiations. Teams holding up Cashman for trades or Damon still being too inflexible because everyone doesn't believe that the Yankees will seriously go with Bubba? Here comes the Melky story, right on time, as an option, with the sure fire reference to Cano to show that it might have some plausibility. Can it happen? Sure it can, but I think it's all part of the game that Cashman is playing right now.
    All spin, all the time, from everybody (players, GMs, agents).

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Bingo.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Also liked the reference to Kevin Thompson, as a way to throw another in house name in the mix. Kind of so Cashman can say "we really have three in-house options"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome
    Glad to see that. I am happy they are going to bring him to ST. It is only time, in my opinion, that it will take for him to be with the big club.
    Sure he didn't do well last year. But even Mickey Mantle had his rough spots in his early years. There is nothing out there on the free agent market for a CF and there is no one available at an affordable price so perhaps Bubba or/and Cabrera can do the job. Time will tell.

I am one who is pulling for Cabrera to make it as a fourth OF with us this year.

Andy
    Melky will be a stud in the Majors. He was 20, rushed from AA, and in awe of his surroundings.

I have seen enough of him from SI and Trenton to see that he will be an solid Big Leaguer. Needs more seasoning, and at AAA in 2006, let him get 500 ABs, and he will be ready to grab a starting job in the Bronx in ST 2007, at the age of 22.

I think Melky is going to be a good OFer for us one day and I am happy to see him get the invite, but he is still young and not ready. Let him go back and develop in AA and AAA where he was doing great until the call up killed his confidence. I still can't believe some people hate him for doing bad in his stint with the Yankees. It was not his fault he was called up before he was ready.
    New York Yankees: 27 Time World Series Champions!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    Melky had more than one bad game in CF, the game against Boston was the straw that broke that camel's back. As for Bubba, that's his ball to catch it's more Sheff's mistake then his.
    The only reason Sheff went all out for that ball was because all year, no Yankee CF ever got that close to a ball in RCF.

I too think Melky could be a very good outfielder for the Yankees one day. He was rushed up last year and the Yankees took a chance of lightning striking again with a kid out of the minors (having great success with Wang and Cano) however I think Melky needs another full year in the minors probably at AAA before he can really be called up to play CF for the Yankees. Like other posters have said this is probably an attempt at a leverage move by Cashman and company and I have no problem with that.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    The only reason Sheff went all out for that ball was because all year, no Yankee CF ever got that close to a ball in RCF.
    I know that's the worst thing about it - it would most likely have been an out w/ Bernie in CF.

NYYF Legend

I think they should give him a chance, it can't hurt to look into it.

I am glad cashman isn't as silly as many people here who demand big names and instant gratification.

He had a rough week, after being thrown into a fire.

Maybe if he takes his time and gets comfortbale in ST he can be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by #9
    After watching him last summer, I would have to say that we are better with Bubba. Of course if we let him go somewhere else, we will wind up over paying for him in say, 2009.
    Yeah, watching him for 6 games probably gave your scout's eye a fantastic sample to evaluate a 20 year old who had played only a handful of games above AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome

Andy
    Why on earth would we give a 20 year old prospect a bench job? If he doesn't make the starting lineup for the ML team, he should be starting for Columbus.

Released Outright

haha HES A BAD OUTFIELDER BASED ON 8 GAMES FORGET ABOUT WHAT WAS SAID BEFORE

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh please no.

100% on target.

Thread Information