+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M's Meche Not Expected To Return In 06

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...39_mari16.html

Five players -- Willie Bloomquist, Ryan Franklin, Julio Mateo, Gil Meche and Rafael Soriano -- are eligible for salary arbitration. All but Meche are expected to return.
    I know there are a lot of Meche fans on this board. Do we take a chance on him?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: M's Meche Not Expected To Return In 06

For what - we don't need another SP and his numbers really are not very good.

ERA+ the last three years - 97, 86, 85. There is a reason why Seattle doesn't want to take him to arbitration.

that's right

Meche was dreadful in 2005. 1.15 K/BB ratio, 1.57 WHIP, .358 OBP against, 72 BB and 18 HRs in 143 innings... no wonder Seattle doesn't want him back.

Pass.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

The Yanks can't pick up everyone simply because they are available. And he has been horrific.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

that ship has sailed
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

not necessarily. he's 27. and according to baseballreference.com - the player who most resembles his career statistically, through age 26? jason schmidt.

not saying he'll turn it around the way jason did. but that's why you don't necessarily throw guys like this away. he'll get a shot some place and may very well turn it around.

If Carl Pavano is traded and Clemens is not signed then I could see the Yankees taking a shot on Meche. Maybe he just has not found his nitch, he has great potential but really how many of those have we seen that havn't panned out. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Meche as an insurance possibility or maybe he and Wright fight for a spot in the rotation if Pavano is traded.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Gil Meche is horrific. Ill take a pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

With Meche's stuff,as goog as it is, I always thought he could make a Gagne like switch to the bullpen. Being able to dominate in short bursts.

But why would he sign here, I'm sure there many teams that will want him as a starter, coming here he would have a chance to make the roster only.

So if the Yanks want him they would probably have to trade for him before his is non tendered.
    Or else Cashman isn't doing his job.

I'd see if he'd be willing to sign as a RP. Otherwise, no chance.

Wow, he has been referenced to Jason Schmidt and Gagne now. Sign him up immediately ! Seriously though, if we deal Pavano (which I thought was a done deal but am becoming skeptical) Meche would be a fit in the #5 spot or pen if Torre goes with Wright.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Kerrigan has a great reputation for straightening out the mechanics of veteran pitchers. Why not sign Meche and let Kerrigan work with him?

There's little downside risk. Use him out of the pen - he does have great stuff. Maybe it's the 2006 version of Tanyon Sturtze....

Quote Originally Posted by bradhamilton

But why would he sign here, I'm sure there many teams that will want him as a starter, coming here he would have a chance to make the roster only.
    If Pavano is traded, I would much rather see Meche as starter number 5 over Wright.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterfan
    Kerrigan has a great reputation for straightening out the mechanics of veteran pitchers. Why not sign Meche and let Kerrigan work with him?
    Is there any particular evidence that it's a question of mechanics? He's had one season with an era below 4.6, and that was only for 85 innings. Other than that, he's been decidedly mediocre, and he's gotten progressively worse since that one good year. Is there any reason to think he's anything but a mediocre pitcher who has a lack of talent rather than some problem a pitching coach can fix?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27
    Wow, he has been referenced to Jason Schmidt and Gagne now. Sign him up immediately ! Seriously though, if we deal Pavano (which I thought was a done deal but am becoming skeptical) Meche would be a fit in the #5 spot or pen if Torre goes with Wright.
    the reference to schmidt was there to imply that jason schmidt was at meche's age coming into next season where he turned his career around. and actually, schmidt's lows went 'lower' than meche's...

Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    the reference to schmidt was there to imply that jason schmidt was at meche's age coming into next season where he turned his career around. and actually, schmidt's lows went 'lower' than meche's...
    I meant no harm.

NYYF Legend

back of me man!!!!

LOL

(o;

Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    back of me man!!!!

LOL

(o;
    You must be Kyle Farnsworth in disguise??

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Pass.
    Agreed.

NYYF Legend

If we trade Pavano, then I would like to sign him just for insurance, but I wouldn't want him on the ML team unless we needed him because of injuries.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Sign him up!! I hear he has electric stuff!!
    I have no association with "TEPLimey" at nomaas. Apparently a very disturbed individual likes to get their rocks off on pretending they are me. Sad, really.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    If we trade Pavano, then I would like to sign him just for insurance, but I wouldn't want him on the ML team unless we needed him because of injuries.
    Same here. He's not someone I would go all out for though. But if we could get him cheap enough, maybe we can turn him around. If not, no loss.

If we can get him on a minor league contract, go for it. If not, hell no!!

Thread Information