Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cairo back in the Bronx?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59339.htm

For the second straight offseason, Miguel Cairo appears as if he will be joining a different team in the same city.

Cairo, the free-agent veteran who played this past year with the Mets and played in 2004 with the Yankees, looks to be headed back to The Bronx. The Yankees are getting close on a one-year deal with the infielder.
    There is also a bit about Eduardo Perez.

The Yankees are believed to be interested in free agent Eduardo Perez, who hit .255 with 11 homers and a .368 OBP in just 161 at-bats with Tampa Bay this past year. The 36-year-old Perez, a right-handed hitter who played mostly first base in 2005, hit 10 of those homers in 137 at-bats against lefties. He also clobbered the Yankees this past year, going deep four times in 17 at-bats.

Re: Cairo back in the Bronx?

There is also a bit about Eduardo Perez
    TB offered arbitration to Perez so I don't know what compensation the Yankees will have to give in order to sign him? I don't see the Yankees giving up draft picks for this player because he's not good enough for that.

Released Outright

I always liked Cairo and he would be fine as our utility guy. I don't really see how Perez helps us much.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Yuck. Never understood all the Cairo love around here.

Quote Originally Posted by noneckwilliams
    I'm with you on that noneck.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    I'm with you on that noneck.
    ditto. Cairo, at best is a journeyman player who had one great year with the Yanks
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Last year, he was the anti-Enrique.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    TB offered arbitration to Perez so I don't know what compensation the Yankees will have to give in order to sign him? I don't see the Yankees giving up draft picks for this player because he's not good enough for that.
    Neither Cairo nor Perez would cost the Yanks draft picks. Cairo wasn't offered arbitration, so he is free to go. Perez might have been, but he wasn't an A or B level FA, so no picks (not C either because he's been a FA before).

I would like Cairo to be brought back. He can play SS, 3B and 2B. We need some insurance, as we sure don't have any in AAA.

Perez is just fine as a bench guy. You can never have enough proven PH with power, who can also pick up a glove after the AB. He can also be part of the DH rotation, if so desired.

Right now, I like the way the bench is rounding out.

Stinnett is already the backup C. With Cairo and Perez, the backup INF are covered. Bring back Bernie and get DeVanon in a trade (he was DFA'd by the Angels), and your bench is done.

If the Yanks could get the bench done this early, they could really focus exclusively on the pen, as between DeVanon and Crosby (though I don't consider Crosby a ML OF), CF should be covered until the trade deadline.

Where's Bellhorn? We need a cheap insurance policy for A-Rod, and unless there's an injury the backup's not playing.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    Where's Bellhorn? We need a cheap insurance policy for A-Rod, and unless there's an injury the backup's not playing.
    Cairo >>> Bellhorn

No thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan
    Cairo >>> Bellhorn

No thanks
    Defensively? What little we saw of Bellhorn playing defense was very impressive. Utility players are primarily there for defense, not offense.
    Let the kids play.

Cairo can play almost all infield positions and he'd come cheap, whats wrong with signing him? He's a guy thats shown he can play in YS.
    The Rajah of RehabŪ, The Sultan of Sitting, The Colossus of Cramps, The Behemoth of Butt bruises,
    The Wali of Owies, The Maharajah of Massages...

Quote Originally Posted by shroud
    Cairo can play almost all infield positions and he'd come cheap, whats wrong with signing him? He's a guy thats shown he can play in YS.
    Nothing wrong at all. Like I said, he'd take the utility role and can play a decent defense at all 4 infield positions. I'm just wondering what happened to Bellhorn...did he get released, or did his contract expire?
    Let the kids play.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    I like Bellhorn as well. I don't know what the saber numbers say but he's seems very very solid as a defender and could potentially find his stroke again. We know he can draw a walk and hit with power - something Miggy can't do.

Just checked around....Bellhorn declined a AAA contract for the Yankees and is now a free-agent.
    Let the kids play.

Because the Yanks went from Wilson to Cairo.

Released Outright

Cairo hit well for us and could play a couple positions. I'd prefer Graffanino but he'll cost a draft pick. Cairo was well liked around here, and fit in well in the clubhouse (which does matter). Make it happen.

Perez kills lefties, had a 897 OPS against them last year. Cairo is a poor hitter, but can play almost any position and has been here before.

Addicted Member

i would be glad to take Cairo back... i liked his style of play 2 years ago and he always seemed to have a good attitude with the team.

I like going after Perez...if used in the right way, he can be a good offensive threat

Cairo?? eh, whatever. I guess that eliminates us from going after Nomar to be our utility guy

Addicted Member

I wonder if Cairo could play outfield (just throwing it out there).

Cairo wasn't so hot with NYM last year, but you could give him the benefit of doubt with the change in leagues/pitchers.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]"Hitters get paid a lot of money to hit. Let's face it, man, sometimes they just do." - Andy Pettitte
    [/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke

Cairo wasn't so hot with NYM last year, but you could give him the benefit of doubt with the change in leagues/pitchers.
    He spent 2001, 2002, and 2003 in the NL.

Anyway, Cairo had a flukey season to say the least in 2004. The thing the Yankees need the most out of this position is someone who can sit Cano down against lefties. Even for a right handed batter, I'm not sure if Cairo does this, which is kind of scary.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    Cairo?? eh, whatever. I guess that eliminates us from going after Nomar to be our utility guy
    Why? Nomar would be signed to play every day at a few different positions. Cairo or Bellhorn or Graffanino would be signed to sit on the bench most of the time. Nomar would have nothing to do with having a backup middle infielder on that bench.

NYYF Legend

From the article linked in the thread's first post:
    Cairo can be a versatile player. He played five different positions with the Mets last year. He spent 82 games at second base but also played eight at first, three at third, two in left field and one in right.
    I think he would only be likely to play OF in a pinch.
    I would think it's more that he regressed to his pre '04 production level, which the Yankees were correct in assuming would happen (why they thought Womack wouldn't is another thread).

Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    Why? Nomar would be signed to play every day at a few different positions. Cairo or Bellhorn or Graffanino would be signed to sit on the bench most of the time. Nomar would have nothing to do with having a backup middle infielder on that bench.

where can Nomar play everyday?? I know everyone is gung-ho about him maybe playing CF, but how do we know he is capable of doing that?? I'm willing to bet he hasnt played the OF since he was in high school or maybe even Little League

DH?? maybe...although I wonder if he would be willing to sign on just to be a DH, he could probably find an infield job somewhere

Thread Information