Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Cairo back in the Bronx?

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    where can Nomar play everyday?? I know everyone is gung-ho about him maybe playing CF, but how do we know he is capable of doing that?? I'm willing to bet he hasnt played the OF since he was in high school or maybe even Little League

DH?? maybe...although I wonder if he would be willing to sign on just to be a DH, he could probably find an infield job somewhere
    Just about every team that is interested in him is interested in him in a role where he plays a little infield, a little outfield, etc. In some way, shape, or form, he's going to get his at bats. He certainly isn't signing anywhere to sit on the bench and play once a week - maybe - like your typical backup middle infielder does. That is the role that Cairo would play. There's a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    I'm with you on that noneck.
    Amen, I would much rather see Graffanino here.

Released Outright

Nomar is not going to come to the Yankees unless he gets an everyday job, and he wont. He needs to secure a long term deal after 06. He'll get a job in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, LA, or some other places

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    Nomar is not going to come to the Yankees unless he gets an everyday job, and he wont. He needs to secure a long term deal after 06. He'll get a job in Cleveland, Pittsburgh, LA, or some other places

I agree...I think he'll end up with the Indians. Unless he wants to be a DH or wants to try to play a position he's never played before...he isnt coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    I agree...I think he'll end up with the Indians. Unless he wants to be a DH or wants to try to play a position he's never played before...he isnt coming here.
    If he ends up with the Indians (or Dodgers), he won't be playing SS. Really, at this point, no matter where he goes, he's likely to move around the diamond.

Released Outright

he's definitely going to be a 3B or 1B, not a SS

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    he's definitely going to be a 3B or 1B, not a SS
    The Orioles wanted him at 1B, but now that they have Hernandez at C and Lopez at 1B, they would use him in the OF.

The Indians want him for RF.

The D-Backs want him for CF.

The Pirates want him at 3B.

The Dodgers want him at 3B.

The Twins want him at 3B.

The Braves are interested in him as a LF.

The Jays are interested in him in the OF.

It ain't just 1B or 3B. Heck, only one team really wanted him at 1B, and right now, they seem to have addressed that issue but still have holes in the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    The Orioles wanted him at 1B, but now that they have Hernandez at C and Lopez at 1B, they would use him in the OF.

The Indians want him for RF.

The D-Backs want him for CF.

The Pirates want him at 3B.

The Dodgers want him at 3B.

The Twins want him at 3B.

The Braves are interested in him as a LF.

The Jays are interested in him in the OF.

It ain't just 1B or 3B. Heck, only one team really wanted him at 1B, and right now, they seem to have addressed that issue but still have holes in the OF.
    I thought I remember hearing the Indians wanted him at 3B....but perhaps I heard wrong. In that case, I change my prediction....he will end up either in Pitt, Minny or LA. He will go somewhere where he can play the infield.

Released Outright

I just cant see him in the outfield with his achilles

NYYF Legend

Amazing that Garciaparra once considered one of the best AL SS, is now struggling to find a position. Before his injuries, I thought he was going to be an all-time great player.

I would definitely take him to be a full-time utility/DH guy.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Cairo! (Mets fans really loved him..LOL) Eduardo Perez! Bernie! Getting younger! Wooohooo!

So continues the fascination with ex-Yankees, regardless of worth. Where's all the flexibility?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by noneckwilliams
    Yuck. Never understood all the Cairo love around here.
    Agreed. Sounds more and more like if they add Cairo, Perez and Bernie, it is a broken down, inflexible bench.

Benches have been too underrated for a long time in the Bronx.

If this is the bench, they better get a DH and CF'er pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27
    Agreed. Sounds more and more like if they add Cairo, Perez and Bernie, it is a broken down, inflexible bench.

I really don't have a problem with Perez in a vacuum. He can play all of the corners and mashes lefties. Phillips should be able to do basically the same thing, though, making him redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27

I'm fully on the Jeff DaVanon bandwagon....we can get him on the cheap...whether its via trade or if the Angels just release him, we can sign him

he would be an excellent backup OF

What great players do you have in mind for the bench? Or is anyone the Yankees get going to get knocked?

If bench players were really good, they'd be starting on other teams. Cairo can play every IF position. Perez, while not my cup of tea, would take Phillips's role and can hit left handed pitching with power. Jeff DaVanon can play all three OF postions. The players they are looking at sound flexible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeho
    What great players do you have in mind for the bench? Or is anyone the Yankees get going to get knocked?

If bench players were really good, they'd be starting on other teams. Cairo can play every IF position. Perez, while not my cup of tea, would take Phillips's role and can hit left handed pitching with power. Jeff DaVanon can play all three OF postions. The players they are looking at sound flexible to me.
    I like getting Perez as a strict "play against LHP" guy. And I'm ok with Cairo, and as I've been saying I'm a big fan of trying to get DaVanon.

Bringing back Bernie is the only move I have a problem with.

Yeah, I don't understand what the problem is. The bench certainly looks like it'll be miles better than last year's.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in either player, although I'd prefer D'Angelo Jimenez as the backup IFer.

Cairo is a more than passable utility infielder who can give stability off the bench at 2B and 3B. (If Jeter gets injured, ARod can shift to SS and Cairo can ably fill in at 3B).

Picking up Perez solves the Andy Phillips issue, and provides a credible answer as a PH in late innings against opposing LOOGYs.

Both would be solid, team-strengthening moves -- and both moves would be relatively inexpensive.

Take our garbage please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasbro
    Cairo is a more than passable utility infielder who can give stability off the bench at 2B and 3B. (If Jeter gets injured, ARod can shift to SS and Cairo can ably fill in at 3B).

Picking up Perez solves the Andy Phillips issue, and provides a credible answer as a PH in late innings against opposing LOOGYs.

Both would be solid, team-strengthening moves -- and both moves would be relatively inexpensive.
    Travis Lee is available, is younger, has more pop and is a better defender at 1st. This supposed deal makes no sense whatsoever. Defense at first should be the prime consideration when you have a Giambi playing there.

Mets fans couldn't wait to get rid of Cairo, as SI attests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Travis Lee is available, is younger, has more pop and is a better defender at 1st. This makes no sense whatsoever. Defense at first should be the prime consideration.
    Someone will give Lee much more regular playing time than the couple of hundred at bats that Perez/Phillips should get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Travis Lee is available, is younger, has more pop and is a better defender at 1st. This makes no sense whatsoever. Defense at first should be the prime consideration.
    My point wasn't whether Perez is preferable over Lee -- he isn't -- it was whether Perez is preferable over Andy Phillips -- which he is.

I would take Travis Lee in a heartbeat over Perez. I was disappointed we didn't re-sign him after his last go-round with us -- would have been a much better option than Tino last year, despite how enjoyable it was to see #24 in the Stadium a last few times.

Although 10 HRs in 137 ABs against lefties (Perez) sure sounds like pretty decent pop to me...

Should we approve of all Yankee transactions, even ones that plain suck, because you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasbro
    My point wasn't whether Perez is preferable over Lee -- he isn't -- it was whether Perez is preferable over Andy Phillips -- which he is.

I would take Travis Lee in a heartbeat over Perez. I was disappointed we didn't re-sign him after his last go-round with us -- would have been a much better option than Tino last year, despite how enjoyable it was to see #24 in the Stadium a last few times.

Although 10 HRs in 137 ABs against lefties (Perez) sure sounds like pretty decent pop to me...
    I know, man, and I wasn't debating you. I'll be amazed if this deal happens. Is Cashman banking on Giambi staying healthy and is he concerned with defense at 1st?

This "getting" younger plan that fans are talking about only works when Casman isn't making deals or signings as an excuse for why he's made no moves. When he signs a washed-up Cairo, a 36 year old Perez and Bernie for the bench, then it doesn't wash and it just plain sucks, especially if a Lee is available.

I hope this is a false report, I really do.

Thread Information