Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Do we move on to Dotel?/Yanks reportedly close to deal with Dotel

What about Dotel? Thoughts?

Re: Do we move on to Dotel?

dotel did not mentioned the yankees as one of the teams that talked to him/agents.

NYYF HOF

as a setup guy or a reliever?

By his own admission, he won't be pitching until midsummer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2243810

You can sign him and hope that he contributes something in 2006, but it seems highly unlikely. You certainly can't sign him to a key role.

I would be disappointed if the Yanks didn't make a run at Dotel...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

Even with the injury I would still make him a decent offer. He could be really valuable, especially back in a setup role.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

He's looking for a 1 year, incentive-laden contract. He's a guy you take a flyer on, not count on to be a significant part of the pen.
    ~John

they have a history of not offering a contract to injured reliever like in the case of sauerbeck.

NYYF HOF

Ahhhh.... Dotel

The same guy who gave up GW HRs on back to back days in Fenway this season?

NO THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykey2
    Ahhhh.... Dotel

NO THANKS!
    Yeah, that torn ligament in his elbow had nothing to do with that.

Ahhhh.... Dotel

NO THANKS!
    I am looking at the dotel who was very good setting up for wagner. Maybe he is not closer material.

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    He's looking for a 1 year, incentive-laden contract. He's a guy you take a flyer on, not count on to be a significant part of the pen.
    That's what I mean

I wouldn't mind Dotel. I wonder if they'd try to reel him in with a 2-year Lieberesque deal.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by BJG
    Yeah, that torn ligament in his elbow had nothing to do with that.

Since when do we give guys injury breaks?

I don't see too many people giving Carl Pavano a break because he gave up more hits than anyone in the Majors with a bum shoulder.

Besides, he wasn't too good the year before in Oakland.

Dotel wouldnt be much of a factor next season anyways, he isnt slated to return until July at the absolute earliest...if we sign him, it would be more for 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Steph19
    I wouldn't mind Dotel. I wonder if they'd try to reel him in with a 2-year Lieberesque deal.
    they did not do it with sauerbeck, that is why sauerbeck signed with the indians.

Since when do we give guys injury breaks?

I don't see too many people giving Carl Pavano a break because he gave up more hits than anyone in the Majors with a bum shoulder.

Besides, he wasn't too good the year before in Oakland.
    im soo glad you having nothing to do with signing players
    [COLOR=Yellow]YELLOW AND[/COLOR][COLOR=Black]BLACK ITS IN THE BLOOD[/COLOR]

IF HE CAN COME BACK AND PITCH MID SEASON OR IN 07 WE GOTTA MAKE THIS DEAL.

Give him 2 years (W/ BIG INCENTIVES)! I can recall a similar move to this paying off for us (ahem JON LIEBER a few years ago!),I want atleast 2 dominant relievers to be comfortable. I like the Farnsworth signing but we lost out on the best leftfy relievers available BJ Ryan and Billy Wagner and we just lost Gordon to Philly. To me the bullpen is still a big weakness and a guy with the stuff Dotel had should NOT be overlooked.The risk reward is worth the gamble - we can afford it.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by George Steinbrenner
    IF HE CAN COME BACK AND PITCH MID SEASON OR IN 07 WE GOTTA MAKE THIS DEAL.

Give him 2 years (W/ BIG INCENTIVES)! I can recall a similar move to this paying off for us (ahem JON LIEBER a few years ago!),I want atleast 2 dominant relievers to be comfortable. I like the Farnsworth signing but we lost out on the best leftfy relievers available BJ Ryan and Billy Wagner and we just lost Gordon to Philly. To me the bullpen is still a big weakness and a guy with the stuff Dotel had should NOT be overlooked.The risk reward is worth the gamble - we can afford it.

Can we stop comparing this to Jon Leiber?

Leiber won 20 games 2 years before we signed him and actually had a lower ERA the next season at the time he got hurt.

Dotel, OTOH, was bad 2 years ago and was bad this year.

I can understand people wanting to take a flyer on him, but I don't have high expectations that a guy who couldn't close games AT ALL will be able to set up Mo in NY.

Will they? Who knows. Should they? Absolutley.

NYYF Triple Crown

It's worth the chance.
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

I wouldn't hand over too much money to a guy with a bum arm, but if we can sign him to a 1 year deal with incentives, he could be like making a deadline move without really making one. It'd be nice to have him come in in June or July and give a rest to a guy like Sturtze or Farnsworth every once in a while. Hell, he could turn out to be as good as he's capable of and who knows... if all things were to go as hoped for, we could have a Dotel, Farnsworth, Rivera combo with guys like Sturtze and Proctor or Small to work the middle innings. Thats a well rounded pen to me. Add a loogy like Myers and you're in serious business.

I say make an offer.
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

It can't hurt right?

Can we stop comparing this to Jon Leiber?

Leiber won 20 games 2 years before we signed him and actually had a lower ERA the next season at the time he got hurt.

Dotel, OTOH, was bad 2 years ago and was bad this year.

I can understand people wanting to take a flyer on him, but I don't have high expectations that a guy who couldn't close games AT ALL will be able to set up Mo in NY.
    well jimmy like i said its a gamble we can afford to take. The guy was a dominant setup man in Houston for a few years. Its worth overspending a bit (if theres alotta competition) because of the reward if hes healthy. If not we played the play 3 lotto and lost its ok-- IM RICH,BE-ACH! HONK HONK!!

One night I was watching a quiz show on TV and the question was, 'Name a baseball team synonymous with winning.' One girl said, 'Dodgers.' The other girl said, 'Giants.' That made me madder than hell. I kept saying, 'Yankees, you dummies.' And of course the answer was the Yankees." - Manager Billy Martin

love that sig brosius

Thread Information