+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Pavano given clean bill of health....bears watching for a trade

"Meanwhile, Carl Pavano, whose 2005 season was ruined by shoulder weakness, recently received a clean bill of health by Dr. James Andrews."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

While those of us on this forum debate whether or not the Yankees should trade Pavano, this little note from the Bergen record came as a bit of a flag for me. Over the years, when the Yankees announce that a player of questionable health has been given the go ahead, usually that signals more to other teams that they are not damaged goods rather than for the Yankees own use. This was the same exact thing last year with Vazquez. He went to get his shoulder checked out prior to the winter meetings, as it turned out, with the intention to clear the way for his inclusion in the Randy Johnson trade. And also Cashman has now come out and said that Pavano didn't want out of NY. To me this is all screaming leverage in trade talks. IMO, I think Pavano gets traded next week, the question is, for who.
    "I just won you the pennant. I got you Steve Trout."

-- George Steinbrenner to Lou Piniella after trading for Trout from the Cubs, 1987.

Released Outright

Re: Pavano given clean bill of health....bears watching for a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Dan Pasqua
    And also Cashman has now come out and said that Pavano didn't want out of NY. To me this is all screaming leverage in trade talks.
    Impossible. All public declarations made are 100% honest.

I was surprised when I read that this article was recent. I figured he had a clean bill of health in July.

In all seriousness, I am a big advocate of trading Pavano. He has never been a great pitcher, has had some health problems, and has said he wants out of NY. For a good deal, I would be very happy to see him leave. Hopefully this clean bill of health will facilitate such a move.

[QUOTE=Ghost of Dan PasquaIMO, I think Pavano gets traded next week, the question is, for who.[/QUOTE]
    I'd have to disagree. I think he is staying here. Of course that is probably best considering teams are asking for alot from the Yankees for little (the Phillies asked for Wang for Michaels) so I really don't see Cash trading Pavano.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Dan Pasqua
    "Meanwhile, Carl Pavano, whose 2005 season was ruined by shoulder weakness, recently received a clean bill of health by Dr. James Andrews."

http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

While those of us on this forum debate whether or not the Yankees should trade Pavano, this little note from the Bergen record came as a bit of a flag for me. Over the years, when the Yankees announce that a player of questionable health has been given the go ahead, usually that signals more to other teams that they are not damaged goods rather than for the Yankees own use. This was the same exact thing last year with Vazquez. He went to get his shoulder checked out prior to the winter meetings, as it turned out, with the intention to clear the way for his inclusion in the Randy Johnson trade. And also Cashman has now come out and said that Pavano didn't want out of NY. To me this is all screaming leverage in trade talks. IMO, I think Pavano gets traded next week, the question is, for who.
    The Vazquez situation was a little different. The Yankees used him to get RJ. If not RJ I dont think Javy gets traded last offseason. The Yankees would need to be getting tremendous value if they were going to trade Pavano.
    Get 27!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by whalers
    The Vazquez situation was a little different. The Yankees used him to get RJ. If not RJ I dont think Javy gets traded last offseason. The Yankees would need to be getting tremendous value if they were going to trade Pavano.
    And the Yankees will use Pavano to get the centerfield situation sorted out. I'll be floored if Bubba is the everyday centerfielder next year. Even if it's Pavano as part of a deal for a corner outfielder and move Matsui there next year.
    "I just won you the pennant. I got you Steve Trout."

-- George Steinbrenner to Lou Piniella after trading for Trout from the Cubs, 1987.

It could have taken Dr. andrews a minute to give pavano a clean bill of health bec. he did not find anything when he examined him last july or august.

Wouldn't shock me if Pavano is part of the Yankees CF solution. But it better be for a decent CF.

NYYF Legend

perhaps Abreu...
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

The ideal solution isn't to trade Pavano in the next week, it would be to wait until after pitchers like Burnett and Millwood have been signed, and there will be teams desparate for starting pitching.

Unlike Vazquez, whose metrics were actually good, and had been fairly consistent, indicating that a few mechanical tweaks would have led to better results, Pavano has been injury prone, and the only consistency he's shown has been for the most part, very average. His peripherals and metrics aren't good, and he's overpaid.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyg02005
    It could have taken Dr. andrews a minute to give pavano a clean bill of health bec. he did not find anything when he examined him last july or august.
    and you know that because....?

[it better be "I am Dr. Andrews"]

Quote Originally Posted by gdn

from cashman when he announced that pavano will be back in the rotation in 1 or 2 weeks. The announcement came after pavano visited andrews.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyg02005
    from cashman when he announced that pavano will be back in the rotation in 1 or 2 weeks. The announcement comes after pavano visits andrews.
    Obviously something went wrong because he didn't return to the rotation.

I'm sure it fulfills some fantasy to believe that Pavano was actually fine all year long, but just sat out for some unknown reason.

Reality, however, is far away from that.

NYYF MVP

Seattle is still interested in Pavano and recently inquired about him. My dreams could still come true and we acquire Jeremy Reed for him.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/58700.htm

2 MRI's came back negative and Andrews came up w/ a diagnosis of tendonitis- a meaningless diagnosis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by TEPLimey
    I was surprised when I read that this article was recent. I figured he had a clean bill of health in July.

In all seriousness, I am a big advocate of trading Pavano. He has never been a great pitcher, has had some health problems, and has said he wants out of NY. For a good deal, I would be very happy to see him leave. Hopefully this clean bill of health will facilitate such a move.
    The question is did we ever see him healthy here? If not, then I'd rather give him another year. If so, then the last thing I want to see is another season of home run derby.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi
    2 MRI's came back negative and Andrews came up w/ a diagnosis of tendonitis- a meaningless diagnosis
    So then why did he sit out the rest of the season? There must've been something...

I think he is going to get us hunter..

So then why did he sit out the rest of the season? There must've been something...
    definitiely there is something wrong or lacking with pavano. If he stays with the yankees, I am hoping that it was really physical.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    perhaps Abreu...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/abreubo01.shtml

19 career games in CF, good hitter but not a center fielder
    "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
    -Vin Scully

man, at first when I read the thread title I thought "Why would Da Bears want Pavano?"

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    I think he is going to get us hunter..
    I doubt it. Twins need HITTING, not another pitcher.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by StatenIslandYankee
    I doubt it. Twins need HITTING, not another pitcher.
    The last I read Seattle had expressed interest in Pavano. Could Carl land Reed?
    Get 27!

The last I read Seattle had expressed interest in Pavano. Could Carl land Reed?
    No way.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IronCaballo4
    man, at first when I read the thread title I thought "Why would Da Bears want Pavano?"
    Good, I wasn't the only one.

Thread Information