Closed Thread
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 ... LastLast

Re: Is Johnny Da' mon For Yanks? Best Offer?

18M/2yrs take or leave it.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    18M/2yrs take or leave it.
    Johnny Damon isn't worth a 7 year deal but he's worth more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by scull567
    Then let another team give it to him.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Then let another team give it to him.
    Just asking, if it came down to either having Bubba Crosby be the full time CF in 2006 or giving Damon a 4 year deal - what would you rather see happen?

NYYF Legend

Just asking, if it came down to either having Bubba Crosby be the full time CF in 2006 or giving Damon a 4 year deal - what would you rather see happen?
    Bubba full time. I'll swallow the one year offensive drop off and bring up one of the kids in '07 rather than give Damon anything.

Bubba, no brainer.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Bubba. But, luckily, it will be neither.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by surge511
    Ok But Damon is still a very good player, and I would love to have him as a part of the offense - and fas a stopgap CFer, I could live with his defense.

Damon wouldn't be a stopgap. He'd be a 4 or 5 year committment. He can't be had for anything less than that. He'd end up playing more years in Pinstripes than with the RS.

Cash doesn't want Damon. The only question is if he can come up with an alternative before the Tampa Faction demands Damon be given a 5 year deal.

Than why is your team lowballing him with like 3/27? He has more value in Boston than anywhere yet the RS are lukewarm on the guy. Tells me alot.

Quote Originally Posted by noneckwilliams
    The only question is if he can come up with an alternative before the Tampa Faction demands Damon be given a 5 year deal.
    The Tampa Faction needs to be sent away to Antartica.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF MVP

If Damon becomes a Yankee, I will (after 50 years of being a devout Yankee fan) immediately become a Red Sox fan for the rest of my life.

The Tampa Faction needs to be sent away to Antartica.
    I may be in the minority here but I'm quite happy with the way this offseason is playing out thus far. IMO the price to trade for a CFer will come down and Cash will get one if he is given the time. It sure beats last winter when I logged in here one night to find the Tampons has signed both Tony Womack and Jaret Wright.

[QUOTE=RobRiv]
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghYankeeFan
    Finally, some sense on this topic.

Damon is still a decent CF and a more than decent hitter. Plus, it would be a bigtime Sox loss to lose him at this point.

Anything more that $10-11 million per year for 3 years with a club option 4th would be foolish.

Let Boras agitate all he wants--7 years ain't happening. QUOTE

The Red Sox would be very very lucky to get Damon for the package you suggest (which is less than half of what Damon is asking for), no way would he come to the Yanks for 33 mill over 3 years. That's why I suggest the Yanks turn their backs on Damon as if he does not exist.
    The Sox opened with 3yrs and 27 million, which he rejected. I am not sure they will go much higher, although dumping Manny (which will happen this year, now that there is no Theo buffer between Manny and Lucchino) will give them some $$$ to play with.

This is my guess:

(1) I think the Yankees are waiting for what happens to Milton Bradley. If he is non-tendered, then the Yankees go for him. Torre can deal with him.

(2) If Bradley signs elsewhere or stays with LA, then they try to trade with Philles or Tampa Bay for one of their extra outfielders. My guess is that the trade price is too high, and these deals do not get done.

(3) Torii Hunter is still somewhere in the equation here as well. Twins want Cano and Wang, Cashman says no. A three way with another team (?Cardinals, Philles) may be in the offing, thus the rumors of "something big" that keep floating around between the Y's and those two teams.

(4) If all else fails, they keep Bubba in for one year. They get decent defense, a better bat than everyone thinks, and leave their options open for 2007 when there will be better CF pickings.

(5) We give Bubba grief, but this is the team that played Chad Curtis and Shane Spencer in LF and won the World Series with them. Twice.

Cashman is no dummy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by surge511
    Are you serious? Why would Jeter argue batting second - that is where he has been his whole career. Plus, Torre might not bat Damon 1st, he could bat him 9th. He MIGHT do that, might not. If Damon batted 9th:

Jeter
    Cano
    Arod
    Giambi
    Sheff
    Matsui
    Posada
    DH
    Damon
    Cano should be nowhere near the #2 spot. Jeter is a better leadoff hitter than Damon, but I'd prefer Damon leading off with Jeter batting 2nd rather than Jeter and then Cano.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

The there will be better CF pickings.

(5) We give Bubba grief, but this is the team that played Chad Curtis and Shane Spencer in LF and won the World Series with them. Twice.

Cashman is no dummy.
    Don't forget - if the Yankees start the season with Crosby in CF (which I doubt will happen) it doesn't necessarily mean they will finish the season with Crosby in CF.

Than why is your team lowballing him with like 3/27? He has more value in Boston than anywhere yet the RS are lukewarm on the guy. Tells me alot.
    I think you have to initially lowball when Boras is requesting a friggin 7 year deal. Yes Damon isnt in the prime of his career but seeing as how few good options there are for CF, I don't think a 3 x 10 offer with a 4th year option is that bad of a choice imo. I surely would want that over risking not making the playoffs by going with Adam Stern in center.

Write it down....Damon will be a Bomber. We'll love him as a leadoff hitter....at least for a couple of years before he declines badly. But, we'll hate his noodle arm. I hope he's not like Samson.

Quote Originally Posted by CelerinoSanchez
    Write it down....Damon will be a Bomber. We'll love him as a leadoff hitter....at least for a couple of years before he declines badly. But, we'll hate his noodle arm. I hope he's not like Samson.
    Man...clean shaven, hair cut short..who will recognize him?

Quote Originally Posted by CelerinoSanchez
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF HOF

Man...clean shaven, hair cut short..who will recognize him?
    I will. He will have the same look as he did with KC and Oakland.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainThurman
    If Damon becomes a Yankee, I will (after 50 years of being a devout Yankee fan) immediately become a Red Sox fan for the rest of my life.
    Come on. Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    I will. He will have the same look as he did with KC and Oakland.
    And his first year in Boston. Damon didn't grow the beard until he was trying to hide the acne on his face from the steroids he was taking.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainThurman
    I ask this with the utmost respect and because I really want to know your rational behind it. Why would you do that over Johnny Damon? I mean there are some players that I would really hate to see on the team because of the type of person they are (Manny Ramirez and Kevin Millar come to mind) and players that have been on the team that boil my blood (Kevin Brown) but serioulsy why would Johnny Damon, a viable option for center field if the price is right, make you trade in your pinstripes for Red Sox?
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Wang
    And his first year in Boston. Damon didn't grow the beard until he was trying to hide the acne on his face from the steroids he was taking.
    Interesting thought...

Thank you. People talk about how he "catches everything" but I've seen him make plenty of boneheaded plays.
    The only thing that impresses me about him is his hustle - the same hustle that makes him appear to be a better player than he actually is. His arm is one of the worst in the majors and his range is nothing more than average. Also, when was the last time anyone's seen him stretch for ball over his head and catch it? Do his short arms prevent this?

Thread Information