Closed Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast

Is Johnny Da' mon For Yanks? Best Offer?

Heeeere's Johnny! or not.
    We know Damon's demands: We know he's got the seven year itch, an angel hair spaghetti arm, Demi Moore's hair, and bonafide lead-off hitter credentials.

We know he can catch, you know, maybe not as good as Brad Pitt (see Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie for starters) - but certainly better than all the other movie guys you can think of.

We know he can find the short-cut to our front porch in right.
    We know he is represented by a slithering anaconda of an agent, who could talk a hungry dog off the back of a meat wagon.
    We know Steinbrenner has a special place for Johnny in his trophy case that has been gathering dust.

So now the question to you, the Yankee GMs before me: what do you do about Damon? Pass? Play? Is Johnny Da' mon for us? What would be your best offer?

NYYF Legend

Re: Is Johnny Da' mon For Yanks? Best Offer?

Three years maximum, at 9-10 million per year tops, provided no other CF options are available.

Otherwise, let him go elsewhere.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

Released Outright

No thanks. He wants too much money over too many years. He isn't worth it.

NYYF Triple Crown

3 years, $30-$36 million. Only as a last resort. Premier lead-off hitter and still has good range. However, it's Johnny Damon...

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks21
    3 years, $30-$36 million. Only as a last resort. Premier lead-off hitter and still has good range. However, it's Johnny Damon...
    If Giles accepts the Blue Jays offer (5 years for 55 million! Jeez!) I don't think Damon would settle for three years.

But like you said, for the last resort I'd take Damon for three years...

NYYF Legend

I dont want him here just because Torre will probably buy into the hype and bat him first, giving more at-bats to Johnny Damon than Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, and Hideki Matsui (all of whom are better hitters). Not that Damon would be a really bad leadoff hitter, but Jeter is better by a good margin, and I just would rather better hitters got those at-bats.

Plus I think his decline, especially in the field, will happen more quickly than many people think.

I would never give Damon 10 million a year. And I wouldn't lead him off, either.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Wang
    I would never give Damon 10 million a year. And I wouldn't lead him off, either.
    How many years, Wang?

Quote Originally Posted by RobRiv
    How many years, Wang?
    3 year, 21mil. If he won't take that, screw him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WebsterMulligan
    Three years maximum, at 9-10 million per year tops, provided no other CF options are available.

Otherwise, let him go elsewhere.
    Exactly right. Although feigning interest to drive the price up for Boston would be a good move.

Wang,

I'd love to hear Cashman present your offer to Boras! Imagine the stunned silence... and then the profanities!

Wang,

I'd love to hear Cashman present your offer to Boras! Imagine the stunned silence... and then the profanities!
    Damon isn't really all that good. At this point in his career, he's a mediocre fielder, and he has a career .277 EqA. He's never topped .300.

Wang,

Funny but true, especially since I've heard Boras is already pissed off that the Yankees won't bite on the 7/84 deal he wants...

I'd give him 3/30 with incentives and an option for a 4th year but thats it. Sorry Johnny, 7/84 is pretty much ridiculous.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

I don't want him. $, yr's (both his and length of contract), roid buzz. Nope, pass.
    [SIZE=3]It's our game, the American game... and a blessing to us. --Walt Whitman[/SIZE]

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Any G.M. that gives Damon anything more than 4 years/$44 million should not only be fired; but banned from the game along with Pete Rose.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet
    Any G.M. that gives Damon anything more than 4 years/$44 million should not only be fired; but banned from the game along with Pete Rose.
    Damon's probably wishing Toronto needed a CF right now...
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    Damon's probably wishing Toronto needed a CF right now...
    Or perhaps the Mets.
    “I love winning man! It’s like, better than LOSING!” ~ Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh

NYYFans.com Director of Media knickfan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Wang
    3 year, 21mil. If he won't take that, screw him.

I would like to know how Damon is only worth 7 million, while JD Drew is worth 11 million.

I would just like someone to explain that one.
    Saturday MLB on FOX blackouts - If you don't know how to spoof your IP address, you are missing out on the fun.

I would have told Boras a long time ago: not interested in Damon. In some respects it has to do with baseball business, but my disinterest in Damon has more to do with me being a Yankees fan.

For many reasons, I had no problem welcoming Boggs and Clemens (as well as lesser Red Sox). But it's a different deal with Damon. I respect his talents, (however diminished they may be) I just don't like the idea of him on the team.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by knickfan23
    I would like to know how Damon is only worth 7 million, while JD Drew is worth 11 million.

Maybe the Dodger's GM, Paul DePodesta can explain...oh wait...
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYFans.com Director of Media knickfan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    Maybe the Dodger's GM, Paul DePodesta can explain...oh wait...

He wont be able to know unless he's writing blogs or appearing on ESPN.

But because of that signing, its reasonable to conclude that some team would be able to pony up for Damon. For Boras, he has a thought in his head and has told Damon what he will probably get. He figures, if I ask for the moon, the team I'm dealing with will end up settling for the number I already had planned out. To me, its perfect negotiating.

I'll say I want 7 for 84 (what, do you actually think he is going to publicly ask for less?) and you only want to go 3 years and a max of 4 for 32. Boras will say, "ok, lets go for 4 years for 43, but give me a mutual option for the 5th year."

Team says "deal". But what they dont know is that Boras has won again because he was able to inflate the value of his client's contract while making it appear that the team has won the negotiations. In actuality, Boras has already figured this all out and simply uses the desperation of the team against them. Pretty shrewd strategy if you ask me.

A team will bite because 98% of them do. I have a feeling the Yanks are that team.
    Saturday MLB on FOX blackouts - If you don't know how to spoof your IP address, you are missing out on the fun.

7 years at 13 million per and then renege.

Quote Originally Posted by knickfan23

If Drew is healthy, he's a much, much, better player than Damon. Also, I didn't sign him.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Let him sign elsewhere, and then when he's done with that contract, give him seven years at around $15 million per.

No, seriously. It would have to be a contract that the Yankees can live with in the short term and that would give Damon what he wants if he performs well.

And since I'm a big fan of incentive contracts . . .

Year 1: $7 million with incentives to bring the contract to $10 million
    Year 2: $7 million with incentives to bring the contract to $10 million
    Year 3: $7 million with incentives to bring the contract to $10 million
    Year 4: $10 million option or $3 million buyout
    Year 5: $10 million option or $2 million buyout
    Year 6: $10 million option or $1 million buyout
    Any of the option years can become guaranteed by reaching certain numbers the previous year.

Boras would probably never go for that, but that's all I'd do.

Worst-case scenario: 3 years, $24 million -- at least fair market value

Best-case scenario: 6 years, $60 million -- probably more than he'll get anywhere else

There's no reason not to pay a guy if he puts up the numbers. But a club should be afforded a safeguard if he doesn't.

But like I said, Boras would probably never go for that -- because he likely knows that Damon has no shot at being that good that long. But on the other hand, if nobody gives him a ridiculous contract, that may be their best option.

Thread Information