+ Reply to Thread

Yankee Fallout From Thome Going to Chisox?

Withe the White Sox (provisionally, pending physicals) acquiring Jim Thome, either Paul Konerko or Frank Thomas is almost certainly out of there.

Thomas has had the better career, but at this point in time I'd rather have Konerko.

Could Konerko be a player the Yankees could go after? He's not a marquee name, but he's a pretty good 1B, a solid hitter, and he has enough pop to keep pitchers on their toes. Sounds like Brian's type of player.

And he has a World Series ring, always important in The Bronx.

Re: Yankee Fallout From Thome Going to Chisox?

NO unless konerko can fill the needs of a relief pitcher or a CF.

Right now, we have Andy Phillips playing 1B and Bubba Crosby playing CF. Do we really want to go into the season with both of them in the regular lineup?

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Dude there are so many threads discussing all of these players, why don't you put it in one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Quangormo
    Right now, we have Andy Phillips playing 1B and Bubba Crosby playing CF. Do we really want to go into the season with both of them in the regular lineup?
    Phillips is the backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Quangormo
    Giambi should be the permanent DH on this club. The Yanks have had to pass on some very good and great first basemen and have had to resort to some awful DH's because of their hands being tied with Giambi not being able to handle the DH spot where he can be best utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Giambi should be the permanent DH on this club. The Yanks have had to pass on some very good and great first basemen and have had to resort to some awful DH's because of their hands being tied with Giambi not being able to handle the DH spot where he can be best utilized.
    Considering he is an extraordinarily better hitter when he plays 1B, I don't think putting him at DH best utilizes him.

OPS at 1B (2002-2004): .990
    OPS at 1B (2005): 1.135

OPS at DH (2002-2004): .798
    OPS at DH (2005): .771

you won't be missed mel

my fear is that konerko goes to the red sox and gives them another bat.
    Jesse Barfield was a great Yankee!

We already have an overpaid, all bat, no field, slow as hell 1st baseman. We dont need another.

NYYF Legend

No way in hell will we try to get Konerko. Thomas would be an option as a 1B/DH in a 1 year deal, but I would be shocked if we signed him.
    I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if youre their manager, you cant go out and write about them like that.

I like Thomas, but not coming off an injured year. Posada and Sheff will need days at DH, not to mention Giambi. Not sure we can afford a fourth player at DH. If we are giving Phillips a shot at 1B, that means that Thomas sits on the bench when any of Giambi, Posada or Sheff need to DH (or that one of them sits on the bench). Move doesn't make sense unless we move one of the others.

NYYF Legend

I've heard Konerko can play center if the price is right. Just give him Beltran money and maybe he'll be able to make some relief appearances too. And by Beltran money I mean Scott Boras's original Beltran money demands, none of this pussy Met $120 mil BS.

Wheres that Onion article about the Royals giving us Beltran peacefully and being allowed to keep their lives and uniforms. Great article.

Brian Cashman: Sniper Bernie Inferno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nyg02005
    NO unless konerko can fill the needs of a relief pitcher or a CF.
    This man speaks the truth.
    [URL="http://fackyouk.blogspot.com/"]My Sports Blog (Yankees + National Sports: http://fackyouk.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Frank Thomas? He's become his nickname: The Big Hurt. That is all the guy ever is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley Womack
    Giambi is not terrible at fielding. I have seen him make some excellent plays on some bad throws by Jeter and Cano. But he seriously must have the worst arm of anybody in the American League, and for that he takes a lot of blame.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Dude there are so many threads discussing all of these players, why don't you put it in one of them...
    I was thinking of starting a "Lets sign Piazza to catch, play 1B and DH thread" - but decided we had enough of those types of threads already.

Thread Information