+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Joe Girardi must be P.O.'d

You think he knew he would manage a team that would have a fire sale when he became manager of the fish.

Re: Joe Girardi must be P.O.'d

Maybe he knew before he took the job that there would be changes...

-Deborah
    [URL="http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/"]http://www.aplaceformyphotos.com/blog/[/URL]

I do not post on NoMaas. That silverdsl is not this silverdsl.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I bet Joe is doing a slow boil. He wants to prove himself, not be a caretaking after a fire sale.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

I don't think he knew before he took the job that there would be a firesale.

I kinda think the only reason he got a manager job with so little experience is because there was going to be a fire sale.

I'm guessing he knew and it was well worth it to him.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Why would he be P.O.'d? His team just got rid of an injury prone pitcher and a washed up 3B with a ridiculous contract and got decent prospects in return. His future looks very bright.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Well, it's not like a rook was going to be managing a playoff team anytime soon, so the element of a challenge shouldn't be too daunting. If he proves himself, what's the diff?

So long as he's still got the D-Train, he'll be fine.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

How could he not have known? Once the stadium fell through, I don't think it was any big secret that they'd be looking to make major changes to their roster.

NYYF Triple Crown

They should lock up D-train and Cabrera with the money they've saved. Not bad people to build a team around.
    Burns: I wonder if this Homer Nixon is any relation?
    Smithers: Unlikely, sir. They spell and pronounce their names differently.

Who gives a damn about Joe Girardi? He's the Manager of the Marlins. I certainly don't care about him or his team.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Why would he be P.O.'d? His team just got rid of an injury prone pitcher and a washed up 3B with a ridiculous contract and got decent prospects in return. His future looks very bright.
    I think your underating Beckett. If he was a FA and we needed a starting pitcher, I would love to have signed him.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I think your underating Beckett. If he was a FA and we needed a starting pitcher, I would love to have signed him.
    I don't know if I'd sign him if he was a FA. Probably yes if we were desperate for SP. But his 9 DL trips worry me. That's Kevin Brown like.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Girardi must not be thrilled right now but he had the opportunity and he took it. Look how hard it was for Willie Randolph to get HIS shot.

He has to start somewhere, there ARE worse places.

It looks like the Marlins will be on the move as it will be nearly impossible to secure funds for their new stadium, but they have a bright future IMO.

They took their shot this year and blew it...I'm sure Girardi had to know SOME sort of restructuring was in the works.

Addicted Member

I feel bad for Joe too but think he has a long future ahead of him as a manager. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in pinstripes someday.
    [COLOR=Blue]Second place only means you're first loser. Go ANSKY!! 23-2-21-42[/COLOR]

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    I don't know if I'd sign him if he was a FA. Probably yes if we were desperate for SP. But his 9 DL trips worry me. That's Kevin Brown like.
    Beckett is 25, Brown is 40. Brown has been on the DL 15 times in his career, Beckett 9. That's not good odds for his future.

NYYF Legend

9 DL Stints?!! That's ridiculous.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire
    9 DL Stints?!! That's ridiculous.
    Mostly blisters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan
    Mostly blisters.
    I bow to you again 1212.

None the less, that's still 135 days (at least, assuming they were all on the 15 day DL) he's spent on the DL in his 5 year career.

Devoted Member

They had to get rid of Lowell and the only way to do that was to add him on another deal, something worth it to another team. They lost Pavano and Burnett and no way they trade Willis. I think they have some really good young pitchers that are looking for a chance. I can't really blame the Marlins for this trade, although I think Blaylock would have been better but time will tell.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire
    I bow to you again 1212.

None the less, that's still 135 days (at least, assuming they were all on the 15 day DL) he's spent on the DL in his 5 year career.
    Quit your damned bowing already! It'll hurt your posture.

If they were 15 days each time, yeah, that's a bunch of days.

Here's an article that came out after his 8th stint on the DL...(I think 7 of the 9 were blister-related)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2088645

It's the eighth trip to the disabled list for Beckett, who's in his fourth full major-league season. Six of those stints have been because of blisters.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Fan
    Quit your damned bowing already! It'll hurt your posture.

If they were 15 days each time, yeah, that's a bunch of days.

Here's an article that came out after his 8th stint on the DL...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2088645

That's still a lot.

I wonder what he's going to do once the team moves to Vegas.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kulish29
    I wonder what he's going to do once the team moves to Vegas.
    Not that far fetched.
    MIAMI GARDENS · Unable to finalize a deal to build a stadium in Miami, the Florida Marlins have been granted permission from Major League Baseball to seek relocation outside of South Florida.

Marlins President David Samson said Tuesday that while the team's preference is to remain in South Florida, team owner Jeffrey Loria was forced to request permission to look elsewhere because he had no real prospects for a stadium.

"No longer can baseball in South Florida be assured," Loria said in a statement. "It is now clear that there will be no baseball stadium in the city of Miami. So we must begin to explore other options."

Samson, who said Loria will not sell the Marlins, said the team won't move before 2008 and that without a stadium solution it won't stay past 2010, when its lease at Dolphins Stadium expires.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

Lots of detail in the article, but the bottom line seems to be that there is no public money on the horizon.

NYYF Legend

Sounds wierd but he should have taken the D-Rays job.There more stable at this point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/24/sp...l/24chass.html
    "I knew they were going to make trades," Girardi said by telephone from his home in Chicago. "We talked about that when I first met with them. They said they had to do some things they felt would make their club better for a long time."

David Samson, the Marlins' president, confirmed that Girardi and other candidates for the job were advised of the club's plan to lower its payroll. "Absolutely," he said. "Of course."
    ~John

Thread Information