+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Mike and the Mad Dog: Yankees trying to get Rowand in three-team trade

I'd trade Wright or Pavano before Chacon or Wang

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Master
    if we move wang or chacon does anyone see burnett as a possibility? Without picking up a free agent pitcher, I don't see us having the starters to send wang anywhere. Realistically, the chances that wright pitches all next year are very small, and there is almost garunteed to be another injury in our geriatric rotation.

We'd have rotation of

RJ
    Moose
    Pavano
    Burnett
    wang/chacon (whoever doesn't get sent away)

Wright in the pen
    Small as long guy,

which I could live with. This wang for rowand thing seems to make sense, and I think you have to do it if you can, but I'm going to be sorry to see him go. I thought he would have made a hell of a relief pitcher.

The Cashman Yankees aren't going to throw $50 million at a tempermental NL pitcher who has an injury history and a sub .500 career record.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Davios
    How many posts have already stated they have young talented outfielders awaiting a call-up.
    Also, keep this in mind. It seems that several of the teams emerging stars are headed towards raises in arbitration, i.e. Crede and Garland. Also Hardball Dollars lists Pierzynski as not having a contract for next year, so he may also be arbitration eligible or he may be owed some additional money. Finally, Konerko will get at least $13 million from them which will bump their payroll fron roughly $61 million to $74 million right off the bat. Lets say Garland and Crede get between the 2 of them $8-10 million and basically the White Sox are at their payroll from last year before adding a DH and probably some other bullpen arms. So I could see Kenny Williams thinking that Anderson and maybe eventually Young could do Rowand's job but for a fraction of the price.

Also Garland is a FA after this season and Buehrle and Crede are FAs after next so they will have to spend a lot of money soon

I doubt Sheffield would even be in a discussion, but I would be estatic if we could turn Sheffield into Rowand and Giles.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Beast Master
    if we move wang or chacon does anyone see burnett as a possibility? Without picking up a free agent pitcher, I don't see us having the starters to send wang anywhere. Realistically, the chances that wright pitches all next year are very small, and there is almost garunteed to be another injury in our geriatric rotation.

We'd have rotation of

RJ
    Moose
    Pavano
    Burnett
    wang/chacon (whoever doesn't get sent away)

Wright in the pen
    Small as long guy,

which I could live with. This wang for rowand thing seems to make sense, and I think you have to do it if you can, but I'm going to be sorry to see him go. I thought he would have made a hell of a relief pitcher.

Im sick of free agent starters. It would take a legit star to get my support. Burnett got kicked off his team last year, which can't mean good things attitude wise. Plus he would get a lot of money/years.
    RJ
    Moose
    Chacon
    Pavano
    Wang
    is fine with me. Wright in the pen, and someone will be hurt so we have him and possibly Small as backups

For once, I have comfort in our rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    The Cashman Yankees aren't going to throw $50 million at a tempermental NL pitcher who has an injury history and a sub .500 career record.
    ...again?

NYYF Legend

I'm not so sure about this. I'd rather throw money (Giles) than prospects/Cano. It will really come down to who we give up to make this happen. I'll reserve judgment till those details become available.

NYYF Legend

Great glove avg bat at best.Why do I have the feeling Williams will rob us again?I want him but not at a high price.

Ok....first, Chicago ain't looking for starting pitching from the Yanks.

Secondly, Aaron Rowand is a very useful player. He's not great, but he's a pretty darn good overall player. Forgetting for a minute that he always seems to murder Boston (he hits Wakefield better than any pitcher in his career...would just be a nice side pot), his production under pressure is phenomenal. His lifetime batting average with runners in scoring position is over .300, and with 2 out (about 150 ab's) and scoring position it is .343.

You can say small sample size all you want, but I believe this is a quantifiable skill...and he possesses it.

If you asked me for the perfect CF for the Yanks, he'd be in the top 10. Not saying he's top 10 major league CF, but if I had to pick a CF for this specific team he'd be right there.

If you want to trade Sheffield, offer them Sheff, Henn, and another functional prospect for Rowand and McCarthy. Williams would never do it, but would be worth throwing out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ryanthe13th
    Exactly. I don't know why people are so hung up on getting rid of Gary Sheffield. This guy openly complained about playing for any other team than the Yankees. Why get rid of him?
    It's not that people WANT to get rid of Sheff - but we have needs to fill. In order to fill those needs, we have to give something of value up. Most of our valuable players have NTC or exhorberant contracts - thus un-tradeable.

Sheff's production makes his salary manageable, and he doesn't have a NTC.

Face it - we ain't getting a quality CF for Tony Womack, Jaret Wright or Carl "spent most of the season on the DL" Pavano.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

The team needs to get younger and more athletic. Right now, you have maybe 3 players on the team in their prime- Jeter, A-rod, Matsui. Outside of Cano, you can expect downward trends over the next few years for just about every position player.

And outside of Wang and possibly Chacon, it is very likely that the rest of the staff has already realized their best seasons.

I love the possibility of getting Rowand...he a premier defensive CF, and I'll gladly take his .270 avg and .330 OBP if he provides the type of defense for us that he gave the ChiSox last season

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DiMaggio5CF
    I just caught the end of this conversation.

But apparently the White Sox' Aaron Rowand is on the trading block, but the Yankees don't have the chips needed to get him, so they're trying to bring in a third team to get the deal done.

Rowand would be my number one choice for CF.
    I'm hardly a firm believer in Mike and the Mad Dog, but Rowand's name has been popping up the past few weeks with the word Yankees not far behind. Almost seems like one of those speculations you hear about right after the season that ends up happening eventually.

Assuming Cash doesn't leave the cupboard bare, and he won't, I think Rowand fits the description of what this team needs from CF very nicely. IF, and it's a big if, Sheff is involved I think Cashman also has an decent feeling that Giles would come to NY. As someone said here recently, I'd definitely take Giles + Rowand for Sheffield.

I too LOVE the hot stove!!
    [COLOR=Blue]Second place only means you're first loser. Go ANSKY!! 23-2-21-42[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks Lifer
    I'm hardly a firm believer in Mike and the Mad Dog, but Rowand's name has been popping up the past few weeks with the word Yankees not far behind. Almost seems like one of those speculations you hear about right after the season that ends up happening eventually.

Assuming Cash doesn't leave the cupboard bare, and he won't, I think Rowand fits the description of what this team needs from CF very nicely. IF, and it's a big if, Sheff is involved I think Cashman also has an decent feeling that Giles would come to NY. As someone said here recently, I'd definitely take Giles + Rowand for Sheffield.

I too LOVE the hot stove!!

If the Yanks locked up Giles, I would then certainly deal Sheffield in a package for Rowand. But not straight up- Sheff is way more valuable than that.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeho
    If the Yankees could get Ichiro for Cano, they would do it in a second. But Seattle would want A LOT more than Cano. Lets try Cano, Duncan, and Wang. Even then Seattle would probably get better offers for Ichiro if they ever put him on the market.

The Rowand talk sums up the attitude of many Yankee fans. They want good players, but they never want the other team to get anything in return except our overpaid garbage. You want to get Rowand, but not give up any top prospects or Sheffield? Give me a break. The days of the other teams being our farm systems are over.
    I dont want Ichiro he is overrated. Rowand isnt even close to being worth sheffield.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    I dont want Ichiro he is overrated. Rowand isnt even close to being worth sheffield.
    117 posts into the thread, and you still think people are saying Rowand for Sheffield even-up?
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

If I was offered Ichiro for Cano, Duncan and Wang, and I were Cashman, I'd laugh till my sides hurt - literally.

Then I'd kick whoever it was out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    117 posts into the thread, and you still think people are saying Rowand for Sheffield even-up?
    I was replying to a post on the second page that stood out to me.

I would never do Cano for Ichiro...not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    I would never do Cano for Ichiro...not a chance
    If Ichiro was the player he is hyped up to be id do it in a second but the Ms would never do it. Yet that isnt the case. Also he is a speed player which means he will likely decline sooner than pure hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterRodriguezSheff
    If Ichiro was the player he is hyped up to be id do it in a second but the Ms would never do it. Yet that isnt the case. Also he is a speed player which means he will likely decline sooner than pure hitters.
    I just think Ichiro is overrated...especially offensively....and yes, speed guys do decline sooner

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

I didn't bother to read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if I missed something.
    If this trade is Sheff for Rowand then we're getting screwd badly. Rowand maybe great defensively but he's slightly above average offensively and was way, way below average this past season. Its a bad deal if its just Sheff for Rowand.
    And for the last time can we drop the Ichiro talks please? He's not worth it!!
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    I didn't bother to read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if I missed something.
    If this trade is Sheff for Rowand then we're getting screwd badly. Rowand maybe great defensively but he's slightly above average offensively and was way, way below average this past season. Its a bad deal if its just Sheff for Rowand.
    And for the last time can we drop the Ichiro talks please? He's not worth it!!
    This was reported as a possible 3 way deal with little detail on names except Rowand. If the White Sox are looking to free up some cash, it makes sense to deal Rowand or Podsednik since Anderson is ready with Ryan Sweeney and Chris Young not far behind. I'd be looking to move Podsednik first if I was Kenny Williams, but Rowand does have more value.

Rowand would be a solid stop gap option in CF for the Yanks, when one considers the other options aren't very palatable.

And I agree - NO ON ICHIRO!!

Thread Information