+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Would the Reds trade for Small?

The Cincinnati Reds have excess OFers (with Chris Denorfia doing well in the AFL) and are desperate for pitching. Does Aaron Small have enough value to lead a deal for either Austin Kearns or Wily Mo Pena?

Others have mentioned Ryan Freel as a Figgins-type player.

And in Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin they have two interesting catchers and might deal one of them.

Anyone know if Cashman has been talking with the Reds front office?

Kearns wouldn't be an exact match as he's had less time in CF but between Matsui and Kearns they could make it work for a year and Kearns is the type of young OFer that they can build around if he's over the injury bug.
    Last edited by Fabien Brandy; 11-09-05 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Misleading title

NYYF Legend

Re: Small to Reds?

I'm sure Cash is bringing Small's name up in ALL trade talks. His value couldn't possibly be any higher than it is right now.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

I really don't know much about Kearns, but I'd love to have Wily Mo Pena back. I'm always hesitant to give up pitching, but I'd really consider Small for Pena.

Quote Originally Posted by yanksconstantino24
    I really don't know much about Kearns, but I'd love to have Wily Mo Pena back. I'm always hesitant to give up pitching, but I'd really consider Small for Pena.
    Gee, are you sure you'd consider that? I don't know if I'm comfortable giving up a 30something career minor league journeyman for a 23-year old slugger who can play CF.

NYYF Legend

Re: Would the Reds trade for Small?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/13116767.htm

the Reds, for now, still show no inclination to break up their four-outfielder collection of Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Peña.

I would do Small for Ryan Freel in a heartbeat. The Reds wouldn't.

All Praises Be to Mariano destro's Avatar

the thread title is extremely misleading
    [B][SIZE=1][I]"Fans don't boo nobodies..." - Reggie Jackson
    [/I][/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by destro
    the thread title is extremely misleading
    Sorry - I just changed it.

People are laughing at the concept but realistically the Reds have to trade one OFer. Pena had an OBP of .304 this season with a horrid K/BB rate. Kearns is coming off two years of sub-100 OPS+ and is arbitration eligible. Freel is turning 30 and had a 91 OPS+ this year and 97 for his career. Would there really be other offers that far superior?

I also asked if Small could 'lead' a deal, with a Henn or DePaula or Pope around to fill it out as necessary.

The new owners will want to compete and apparently the feeling is that with Griffey and Dunn they have enough offense but need starters.
    Last edited by Fabien Brandy; 11-09-05 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

NYYF Legend

The answer is no. Small had a very good year but the fact is he is a 33 year old career minor league pitcher that has had one good third of a season. I think he can be an effective pitcher in this league, but his trade value isn't high. Furthermore, as for the Reds, Small doesn't fit their need because his G/F ratio is not good and they need pitchers (in that ballpark) that get a lot of groundballs. (Which is why their decision to sign Eric Milton - thank God we didn't - was so incredibly stupid).
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Released Outright rightfielder21's Avatar
    Pequannock, New Jersey (Birthplace of Derek Jeter)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    The answer is no. Small had a very good year but the fact is he is a 33 year old career minor league pitcher that has had one good third of a season. I think he can be an effective pitcher in this league, but his trade value isn't high.
    Are you familiar with the WIN METHOD? 10-0, Bitch...

Quote Originally Posted by rightfielder21
    Are you familiar with the WIN METHOD? 10-0, Bitch...
    Damn, Aaron Small is one of the best pitchers in the game!

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Small for Willy Mo?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    Small for Willy Mo?
    If I was giving up Wily Mo Pena, I'd rather be getting Aaron Small than Drew Henson.

I don't think the Reds would do Small for Pena, but if they would, I'd do it.

Even though Small basically stank up until last year, I still think he could help the Yankees in 2006. I think he'd be successful as a reliever/spot starter.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    I'm sure Cash is bringing Small's name up in ALL trade talks. His value couldn't possibly be any higher than it is right now.
    Not only is his value so high, his salary will be so low added to the fact he showed the world he can succeed in NY unlike so many previous pitchers = high demand

You people actually think Small's trade value is high...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    people think he is the best pitcher on the team. If they could trade him for anything worthwhile I would be ecstatic.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    It's higher than it will ever be.

I think if Cash is truly shopping Yankees, Small's name will be included in any potential deal.

I guess I'm confused as to how much value Wily Mo Pena or Austin Kearns or Ryan Freel have around the league based on their numbers, contract situations and glut on the Reds.

What would it take to get these guys?

Small was a very lucky find but his value is nowhere near that of Willy Mo or Austin Kearns. We could probably get Jason LaRue, but is he what we are looking for in a backup catcher?
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    Small was a very lucky find but his value is nowhere near that of Willy Mo or Austin Kearns. We could probably get Jason LaRue, but is he what we are looking for in a backup catcher?
    Not by himself, no. But if we're looking to move one of our immovable contracts (Posada for instance) - Small would be thrown in to "sweeten the deal"...

Not by himself, no. But if we're looking to move one of our immovable contracts (Posada for instance) - Small would be thrown in to "sweeten the deal"...
    The guy goes 10-0 in a tense NY pennant race, with a CG shutout or two thrown in against very good teams.

He pitches well in the postseason, and almost wins the RJ meltdown game 3 of the ALDS--in pretty crappy conditions.

He costs next to nothing, so he is totally worth any risk for next year.

So why are we thinking about trading him? Are Connors and Emslie trolling this board?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghYankeeFan
    The guy goes 10-0 in a tense NY pennant race, with a CG shutout or two thrown in against very good teams.

He pitches well in the postseason, and almost wins the RJ meltdown game 3 of the ALDS--in pretty crappy conditions.

So why are we thinking about trading him? Are Connors and Emslie trolling this board?
    Are we ignoring the 10+ years of mediocre performances at the AAA level prior to his hot streak?

Or the 3 games at the end of the year (following the CGSO) where the offense continually bailed his ass out?

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghYankeeFan

I agree, he is a low risk and will have a low salary.

Sure, someone might be interested in him as a kicker. But for an immovable contract like Posada's, he doesn't nearly make up for the money. For the caliber of players being talked about in this thread, Small doesn't come close to bringing them back in a trade.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    Sure, someone might be interested in him as a kicker. But for an immovable contract like Posada's, he doesn't nearly make up for the money. For the caliber of players being talked about in this thread, Small doesn't come close to bringing them back in a trade.
    Yeah, I agree. I was more arguing his "lack of value" more than anything else.

I agree with a poster above though that the NL may be a great landing spot for him, although Cincy might be a bad idea with all of his fly balls...San Diego would be a good spot probably.

Thread Information