+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What to do with Pavano?

I've been hearing that Carl Pavano is the target of several clubs, the Mariners leading the charge in pursuing a possible deal with him. What does everyone think about the possibility of using Carl to land a young centerfielder, perhaps Jeremy Reed who in the games I saw the Yankees play against Seattle he got AMAZING jumps on the ball and was just flying all over the place. He's young (24) however he was a big part of the Freddy Garcia to the White Sox trade the year before and I dont know if Seattle would be willing to part with him. He also suffered from a wrist ligament injury last year that ended his season early.

However my question remains what is the consensus around here, trade Pavano or give him another year to prove himself. Personally I'd like to see him get another shot because him being traded would most likely mean we would have to eat part of his salary. So what does everyone think any realistic packages that you could see Carl going for or should we keep him? Just throwing this out there to get some more conversation going since this slow time is killing me. So let's discuss.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Re: What to do with Pavano?

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527
    I've been hearing that Carl Pavano is the target of several clubs, the Mariners leading the charge in pursuing a possible deal with him. What does everyone think about the possibility of using Carl to land a young centerfielder, perhaps Jeremy Reed who in the games I saw the Yankees play against Seattle he got AMAZING jumps on the ball and was just flying all over the place. He's young (24) however he was a big part of the Freddy Garcia to the White Sox trade the year before and I dont know if Seattle would be willing to part with him. He also suffered from a wrist ligament injury last year that ended his season early.

However my question remains what is the consensus around here, trade Pavano or give him another year to prove himself. Personally I'd like to see him get another shot because him being traded would most likely mean we would have to eat part of his salary. So what does everyone think any realistic packages that you could see Carl going for or should we keep him? Just throwing this out there to get some more conversation going since this slow time is killing me. So let's discuss.
    If the Mariners would give us Reed for Pavano, and they would take most of the contract, there is not a measure of time to tell you how quickly I would do it.

NYYF MVP

trade him. I think if they can get any decent outfielder who can play CF, they should bite the bullet, pay part of his contract, and do it.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I can't believe teams are interested in him. If they are, I'm pretty sure they'll want the Yankees to pay a significant part of his salary. I don't see how they can trade him and make it really beneficial. Give him another year to see if he rebounds and then try to move him next year when he's either A) over-valued after a great year or B) really useless and we can get prospects to send him back to the NL.

Regroup - Reload - Revenge! 23and2's Avatar

If he's expected to be healthy, I say you keep him and pitch him. I understand he was a dissapointment last season, but the thought process that led the Yankees to acquire him should still be valid today. The Red Sox wanted him last season, and if you're right about Seattle - other clubs wouldn't mind adding him to their staff. He isn't old and he's got playoff experience. I would assume either/both RJ and Moose spend extended time on the DL next year. You have to assume that between RJ/Moose/Wright there will be a need for some reliable starters and Pavano - assuming he's healed up - could fit that role.
    [U]Thanks, Frank [/U]
    "We'll try to take that extra million-one and spend it wisely in the free-agent market," - Brian Cashman after trading away Womack - 12/08/05

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527

I am not a Pavano hater, I actually believe he could become a quality number 2 or 3 for this teambut if the Mariners put up Jeremy Reed without having the Yankees pay an exorbitant amount of Pavano's salary I think it is a move the organization would have to seriously consider. I personally would do it then replace Pavano with Burnett, someone who in my eyes is simply a number one waiting to develop with the stuff to back him up unlike Pavano whose K rates and over-reliance on his defense don't put him in the same position.
    Wilbon: What is it specifically about Arod that guys like Schill and Trot Nixon just can't stand?

Kornheiser: He's better looking, he's cooler, he's got all the money. That's what they can't stand.

Having seen Carl Pavano pitch when fully healthy, I will tell you he is A LOT better than he was for the Yanks. And, if you look at his numbers for the Yankees before he started pitching with a sore shoulder the last 6 or 7 starts, he was decent. Not great, but decent. His velocity was down 3-5 mph, and he couldn't get his breaking pitches to break the way they had in the past- they were spinning.

Anyway.....if you could get Reed for Pavano, you do it. The kid is extremely talented, and WILL hit in the big leagues. The defense is already there. I doubt Seattle would even consider such a deal, but it would be a no-brainer.

That being said, I look forward to seeing Pavano next year- hopefully healthy.

I'm of the mindset that unless a deal comes along like Reed for Pavano straight up then it is best to keep Pavano. I'd like to see the guy pitch when healthy.
    I'm too smooth you'll never see me comin', I'm never in a hurry I'm just movin' fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Davios
    I am not a Pavano hater, I actually believe he could become a quality number 2 or 3 for this teambut if the Mariners put up Jeremy Reed without having the Yankees pay an exorbitant amount of Pavano's salary I think it is a move the organization would have to seriously consider. I personally would do it then replace Pavano with Burnett, someone who in my eyes is simply a number one waiting to develop with the stuff to back him up unlike Pavano whose K rates and over-reliance on his defense don't put him in the same position.
    I wouldn't think Burnett would come here after the Yankees dumped his buddy after one season which is the same thing they did with Vazquez.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    I wouldn't think Burnett would come here after the Yankees dumped his buddy after one season which is the same thing they did with Vazquez.
    I wouldn't touch Burnett anyway. I'm wary of career underachievers who have a big contract year. They're lazy, and they don't perform when they have contract security.

Addicted Member

Unless we get the defensive CF we're looking for and our defense finally tightens up, then Pavano will never do good here. He relies too much on batters putting the ball in play, then striking them out. He's a good pitcher but without a great defense he will lose games. I do think he could be good for us as long as we get that CF with an arm and ability to track down balls, and if Cano can improve his defense and we get a capable defensive 1B. Lots of ifs, I know, but if it happens Pavano could win 16 or 17 next year. He will stay healthy next year.

I'm not willing to write Carl Pavano off after one bad year. It was his first season in New York, and I don't believe he was healthy all year. I think Pavano is going to have an excellent year in 2006.

I would like to keep him much like I would have given Javy another chance. If a really good trade comes around I would be open to trading him but would prefer to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyanksfan20
    I would like to keep him much like I would have given Javy another chance. If a really good trade comes around I would be open to trading him but would prefer to keep him.
    However in hindsight Vazquez went back to the N.L. and stunk it up I just hope Pavano does prove to be a good pitcher. Vazquez stinks.

NYYF MVP

I would absolutely trade pavano for jeremy reed and maybe one of their relievers. i love jeremy reed and really hated that we passed he and neal cotts when we had a chance to acquire them last year. jeremy reed would certainly answer our cf needs for years to come.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Wang
    If the Mariners would give us Reed for Pavano, and they would take most of the contract, there is not a measure of time to tell you how quickly I would do it.
    i agree
    A-ROD 2005 AL MVP

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by I Love Wang
    I wouldn't touch Burnett anyway. I'm wary of career underachievers who have a big contract year. They're lazy, and they don't perform when they have contract security.
    I don't see any big contract year from Brunett. What did he win, 3 games after the all star break? And he has baggage, witness his outburst at the end of 2005, when he had to be sent home.

Forget him.

But if Seattle offers Reed for Carl, and we do not have to pay more then 1 or 2 million per year, then do it. No brainer.

Still Have Randy, Moose, Wang, Chacon, Wright and Small. No issue there, Carl can go if the deal is right.

Quote Originally Posted by hlrjr
    I would absolutely trade pavano for jeremy reed and maybe one of their relievers. i love jeremy reed and really hated that we passed he and neal cotts when we had a chance to acquire them last year. jeremy reed would certainly answer our cf needs for years to come.
    When did we have the chance to get him? I missed it.

NYYF Legend

Selling Low is never good business.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

Devoted Member

If you can get him for Zito, I would dump him. I know that will never happen. They have no choice but to give him another chance.
    http://www.myspace.com/dramaqueen878

If Reed was being offered I would do it but probably be a bit hesitant becuase I think Pavanowould turn it around in NY next year. I would definatley do it if Matsuzaka was posted though, so we could sign him to offset Pavano's departure. Reed is maybe the best defensive CF in the game, if we get him he would shore up our CF situation for a long time.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    Selling Low is never good business.
    Great advice.
    http://www.myspace.com/dramaqueen878

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HouseThatRingsBuild
    Great advice.

Seriously though - put it into perspective - why would any team trade away a stud CF making no money for a $10mil/year injury risk?
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan

Seriously though - put it into perspective - why would any team trade away a stud CF making no money for a $10mil/year injury risk?
    Exactly what I have been thinking since this "dump Pavano" stuff has started being discussed. I can't see us do anything but get completely fleeced if we try to move him before the All-Star break.

Unless we are willing to eat a huge amount of money, I think we have ride it out with Pavano. And the amount we would have to eat will never be more than it is right now.

NYYF Legend

I'd be really hesitant to move him, unless it was in a deal for Vernon Wells. We are going to need the pitching next year, so why not hang on to him and see what he can do.

Thread Information