+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Yanks preparing offer for Gordon

Great point, after what happen to him this season at the end of it due to being over worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMYanks
    Considering this would mean less work for Sturtze (he was very good for us before he was overworked), then I like this four man group.

It was posted a few days ago on this forum that the team was interested in Tavarez, someone who is pretty similar to Sturtze; and is probably a better pitcher than Sturtze, but would likely have relatively the same price tag. Either one would be a good piece to have.
    [b][color=blue]"MVP's are born not made"[/color][/b]
    [b][color=black]"You can take the dog out the junkyard[/color][/b]
    [b]but you can't take the junkyard out the dog"[/b]

Me to, we all saw what he did the start of th season.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStripes
    I still think that they should bring Sturtze back, too.

Sturtze, Gordon, Ryan, Rivera = unstoppable.

Sadly, I fear Torre's overuse of Tanyon Sturtze will have a lasting effect on him next season, much like what happened to Quantrill.

Could be, but Joe has always like Tanyon, He believes that Tanyon has good stuff from the start of the season and last.
    Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    Sadly, I fear Torre's overuse of Tanyon Sturtze will have a lasting effect on him next season, much like what happened to Quantrill.

It's quite possible.

Released Outright

While at the same time realizing that Sturtze had a career of less than mediocrity, before having a stretch of maybe 2 months of above average pitching

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    While at the same time realizing that Sturtze had a career of less than mediocrity, before having a stretch of maybe 2 months of above average pitching
    He did have an amazing month of May. Other than that, no, he was not very good (pretty good June).

Although I think Torre overused Sturtze similar to the way he overused Quantrill in 2004, I don't want him back.
    Fire Cashman!

I'd like the Yanks to sign Howry instead of Sturtze.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Gordon is in decline.

Offer him arbitration, but then let him go and take the draft pick.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    He was lights out up until the start vs. Baltimore.

Gordon is in decline.

Offer him arbitration, but then let him go and take the draft pick.
    As long as there is a suitable 7th inning option signed.
    Even if the Yankees land Ryan, that still leaves Sturtze and company for anything prior to the 8th, and we all know how that worked out this season.
    ~John

NYYF Legend

Arbitration + Omar Minaya's signing of Tom Gordon's 8 mil per year for 2-3 years to be a closer when he has lost half his fastball and 3/4 the break on his curve = Draft picks + my drunkenen happiness

Quote Originally Posted by ring403
    As long as there is a suitable 7th inning option signed.
    Even if the Yankees land Ryan, that still leaves Sturtze and company for anything prior to the 8th, and we all know how that worked out this season.
    I want to sign Dotel and Farnsworth. I was concerned that in an article in Saturday's Star-Ledger, a Yankee official was quoted as saying:

"...One team official said the team believed that it could fill the rest of its bullpen needs from within the organization if it were able to sign Ryan to a free-agent deal."

___

I can't imagine that there are enough quality major league ready arms to be able to do that.
    Fire Cashman!

I want to sign Dotel and Farnsworth. I was concerned that in an article in Saturday's Star-Ledger, a Yankee official was quoted as saying:

"...One team official said the team believed that it could fill the rest of its bullpen needs from within the organization if it were able to sign Ryan to a free-agent deal."

___

I can't imagine that there are enough quality major league ready arms to be able to do that.
    I don't want anything to do with one-year wonder Farnsworth. We tried that with Pavano and Wright. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Dotel.

If the Yankees are smart enough to convert Henn to a reliever, I think he'd do great. Hopefully the likes of Beam, Cox, and Schmidt (as well as Hoover if he's healthy and MAYBE Matt Smith) can move through the minors fairly quicky.

Matsui55 suggested signing a bunch of non-tendered FA relievers and letting them duke it out in Spring Training. Let's see if we can find another Sturtze or Small.

I don't want anything to do with one-year wonder Farnsworth. We tried that with Pavano and Wright. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Dotel.

If the Yankees are smart enough to convert Henn to a reliever, I think he'd do great. Hopefully the likes of Beam, Cox, and Schmidt (as well as Hoover if he's healthy and MAYBE Matt Smith) can move through the minors fairly quicky.

Matsui55 suggested signing a bunch of non-tendered FA relievers and letting them duke it out in Spring Training. Let's see if we can find another Sturtze or Small.
    Farnsworth has a great arm. He would be able to pitch the 7th inning without much pressure. I wouldn't give him a huge deal, like Pavano or Wright. In order to replace Mo (that day is likely coming sooner than we would like to admit), we need as many quality arms as possible.

Sadly, Bean is never getting a shot here, and Cox and Schmidt are probably not ready.

Not tenders are far more of a crap shoot than Farnsworth. You can sign one or two in addition to Farnsworth and Dotel, not instead of.
    Fire Cashman!

Farnsworth has a great arm. He would be able to pitch the 7th inning without much pressure. I wouldn't give him a huge deal, like Pavano or Wright. In order to replace Mo (that day is likely coming sooner than we would like to admit), we need as many quality arms as possible.

Sadly, Bean is never getting a shot here, and Cox and Schmidt are probably not ready.

Not tenders are far more of a crap shoot than Farnsworth. You can sign one or two in addition to Farnsworth and Dotel, not instead of.
    He's still only had one good year. That's the problem with relievers, they mostly tend to be random from year to year, which is why spending a lot of money and losing picks on them is not the smartest way to run a team. I'm sure he has a great arm (you're probably better at seeing that sort of thing than I), but I still wonder about his psyche, especially since he blew several games this year, according to some posters.

T.J. Beam, not AAA's Coulter Bean. Sleeper reliever who is doing a great job in the AFL. But I agree, he along with Cox and Schmidt probably aren't ready. However, they should be in the foreseeable future, re-enforcing my belief that overpaying for relievers isn't a good idea.

I do think we need two reliable arms in addition to Ryan, plus the non-tendered projects.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer2485
    Gordon - Ryan - MO

Sounds good to me.
    Well...except for the postseaon, maybe, when we find Flash puking in the 'pen.

What is your definition of a big deal? I think Farnsworth is looking to cash in as much as possible which means he's looking for a closer job or closer money. There are more than a few teams looking for a closer and unless you're going to pay that type of money then I don't think you're going to sign Farnsworth for the 7th inning. Off the top of my head, the following teams might need a closer.

Padres
    Cubs
    Mets
    Phillies
    Braves
    Tigers
    Indians
    Blue Jays
    Orioles

With such a market, guys like Hoffman, Ryan, Wagner, Gordon and Farnsworth are going to get good contracts and in some cases, more money then they deserve.

We should sign Gordon minus a no-trade and give Ryan an offer and if we can land him trade Gordon for prospects or a major leaguer. An 18th pick doesn't guarantee us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 32elston
    We should sign Gordon minus a no-trade and give Ryan an offer and if we can land him trade Gordon for prospects or a major leaguer. An 18th pick doesn't guarantee us anything.
    Can the Yankees trade Gordon right after signing him because he did declare for free agency?

NYYF Legend

I would love to get Gordon back. It's quite understood that he wants to be the closer and with Mo here it will not happen. I would like to think that the prospect of winning consistently and going deep into the postseason (which will hopefully happen this year) takes precedence over his wanting to be the closer.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

The Yanks won't be able to carry both Gordon and BJ, even if they wanted to. Why would Gordon suddenly be interested in pitching the middle innings before BJ is handed the ball in the 8th (Gordon's old slot) when he's already stated he wants to close? He doesn't want to set-up Mo, let alone be a middle to 7th inning guy.

If the Yanks sign Gordon to a contract, I think that it's a sign that they aren't going after BJ, which is a huge mistake. If they are truly interested in BJ then Gordon will be out of the picture. Don't get your hopes up too high for a Gordon-BJ-Moe combo, because it's not happening.

He's still only had one good year. That's the problem with relievers, they mostly tend to be random from year to year, which is why spending a lot of money and losing picks on them is not the smartest way to run a team. I'm sure he has a great arm (you're probably better at seeing that sort of thing than I), but I still wonder about his psyche, especially since he blew several games this year, according to some posters.

T.J. Beam, not AAA's Coulter Bean. Sleeper reliever who is doing a great job in the AFL. But I agree, he along with Cox and Schmidt probably aren't ready. However, they should be in the foreseeable future, re-enforcing my belief that overpaying for relievers isn't a good idea.

I do think we need two reliable arms in addition to Ryan, plus the non-tendered projects.
    Not a lot (in relative terms). Around what Gordon received when he signed here. On the Yankees, he wouldn't have to worry about big time pressure; he could pitch the seventh inning. In other words, he would be a well paid support guy.

Damn, I'm getting near-sighted. OK, but I don't think he's likely to get a shot this year. Same with Cox, Schmidt, and Smith. I hope I'm wrong. It's kind of ironic that Torre, who is often more concerned with experience than ability, wanted Guidry as his pitching coach even though he has no experience. I hope he is able to move past his own myopia when it comes to developing relievers, but I see no indication that he will.

In light of the fact that the pen has done the Yankees in over the last few seasons, I want to see a redundant bullpen for the upcoming season. As I said above, we don't know how long Mariano can continue to pitch at an elite level.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    What is your definition of a big deal? I think Farnsworth is looking to cash in as much as possible which means he's looking for a closer job or closer money. There are more than a few teams looking for a closer and unless you're going to pay that type of money then I don't think you're going to sign Farnsworth for the 7th inning. Off the top of my head, the following teams might need a closer.

Padres
    Cubs
    Mets
    Phillies
    Braves
    Tigers
    Indians
    Blue Jays
    Orioles

With such a market, guys like Hoffman, Ryan, Wagner, Gordon and Farnsworth are going to get good contracts and in some cases, more money then they deserve.
    Two years, $6 to 7 million in total. If he doesn't want it, he can sign elsewhere and enjoy the pressure of being a savior. On the Yankees, at least for next year, he would be just another quality arm.
    Fire Cashman!

Forum Regular

On more than one occasion this year I looked up Gordon's stats and was shocked at how good they were. He just seemed to be not as good last year, and he must have allowed a lot of inherited runners to score.

Thread Information