+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 114 FirstFirst ... 49 89 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 109 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 2838

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: Who am I?

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Ben Chapman June 27, 1934

You are correct, philleotardo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck View Post
    Who am I? #419

I was the first Yankee center fielder to ever hit a walk-off home run for the team. It was described as being, "A homeric wallop that went far into the lower reaches of the left field stands." At the time of my home run, two American League batters were hitting at the .400 mark or better ... and I was a career .312 hitter for the Yanks.

Who am I?
    The home run came in the bottom of the eleventh inning against the White Sox off losing pitcher Joe Heving for a 8- 7 Yankee win. Ben Chapman now had a .333 batting average on the season. Heinie Manush was leading the American League with a .411 average and Charlie Gehringer was seccond in the league with a .400 average.

Chapman's baseball career began with the Yankees in 1930. He now had 777 hits in 2487 career at-bats - and was sporting a .312 career average.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #421

You know, it may look like I gave up a walk-off home run in my career, but turns out I didn't. The walk-off home run that was supposedly hit off me came in the tenth inning of a game, and was hit by a really good rookie outfielder that I was facing for the very first time. He was the only batter I pitched to in the game. So what happened you're probably asking yourself? What about this walk-off home run? What follows is the scoop on the game:

After the ninth inning, when the home team we were playing rallied with four runs to tie the score, our Manager announced to umpire Ziggy Sears that we were playing the game under protest. He argued that Dusty's drive in the sixth against the edge of the pavilion roof in deep right center, which went for a triple, should have been ruled a homer. With that homer our lead in the game would of been 6- 1 instead of 5- 1. The game was now tied 5- 5 in the ninth, instead of us winning 6- 5. Extra innings ... and the "walk-off" home run I give up ends the game.

Now, when you look in the current day record books you'll find that Dusty did wind-up getting credit for that home run that our manager argued that he had hit. Of course this also meant he got credit for that run he had scored in the game, by hitting the home run, which gave us 6 runs scored earlier in the game instead of 5. Now here is where the record books show something else. The record books also show the rookie that hit the home run off of me ... still got himself a walk-off home run in the game, instead of just a regular homer, giving him a good bunch of the walk-off type in his HOF career. As for me ... well ... you know what the record books say!

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-19-12 at 01:06 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

NYYF Legend

Did Stan the man take you deep in that game? Are you Dick Errickson? I think I'm wrong because some of the details don't match uyou description but I'll throw it out there anyway.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Did Stan the man take you deep in that game? Are you Dick Errickson? I think I'm wrong because some of the details don't match uyou description but I'll throw it out there anyway.
    Before "Stan the Man" was around.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Who am I #420

I was a pretty good OF for the Yankees in my career but there is one odd feat that I acomplished.

In a wild game that saw the Yankees give up 4 runs in the top of the ninth but then score 3 in the bottom half to send the game to extra's I batted in the last inning. The opposition had taken the lead again in the top of that inning but our third basemen tied the game with two outs. Then I singled to right to win the game. Thus I became the first Yankees RF to have a walk off hit in the park the game was played at. It was a regular season game.

Who am I ?

This one is still up also.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #422

I get no respect. On the day I hit my 200th career home run to win a game, 8- 4, the newspapers said, "That the score rose to such proportions was due to a ponderous home run over the right field barrier by ancient ... me ... with the bases crowded to full capacity."

What's a guy gotta do? I did win four home run titles in my career.

Who am I?

Who am I? #422

I get no respect. On the day I hit my 200th career home run to win a game, 8- 4, the newspapers said, "That the score rose to such proportions was due to a ponderous home run over the right field barrier by ancient ... me ... with the bases crowded to full capacity."

Who am I?
    Are you Cy Williams of the Philadelphia Phillies?
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Who am I #420

I was a pretty good OF for the Yankees in my career but there is one odd feat that I acomplished.
    In a wild game that saw the Yankees give up 4 runs in the top of the ninth but then score 3 in the bottom half to send the game to extra's I batted in the last inning. The opposition had taken the lead again in the top of that inning but our third basemen tied the game with two outs. Then I singled to right to win the game. Thus I became the first Yankees RF to have a walk off hit in the park the game was played at. It was a regular season game.

Who am I ? (I know Dave will get this but maybe he could let some other people try first).
    You are Lou Piniella, and your walk-off hit in Shea Stadium on July 12, 1975 was one of the very few high points in an otherwise dismal year for you. You battled an inner ear infection all season, playing only 74 games and ending up with a most un-Piniella-like line: .196/.262/.226.

I had high hopes for the 1975 Yankees. Over the previous couple of years they had picked up Nettles and Chambliss, and for that season they added Catfish Hunter and Bobby Bonds. Their pitching was pretty good, and the outfield/DH spots should have been a strength - Elliott Maddox, Roy White, Bonds and Piniella. But Piniella was a washout that year, and Maddox's season ended when he hurt his knee in June. White and Bonds were banged up at the same time, and the Yankees got so desperate that one day they had a starting outfield of Thurman Munson, Kerry Dineen and Rick Dempsey. They still managed to stay in the race until mid-July, but that was it.

Who knows, if they'd stayed healthy, I might not have had to endure the World Series I hated more than any other.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #422

Who am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Are you Cy Williams of the Philadelphia Phillies?
    A home run for ... hellonewman!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You are Lou Piniella, and your walk-off hit in Shea Stadium on July 12, 1975 was one of the very few high points in an otherwise dismal year for you. You battled an inner ear infection all season, playing only 74 games and ending up with a most un-Piniella-like line: .196/.262/.226.

I had high hopes for the 1975 Yankees. Over the previous couple of years they had picked up Nettles and Chambliss, and for that season they added Catfish Hunter and Bobby Bonds. Their pitching was pretty good, and the outfield/DH spots should have been a strength - Elliott Maddox, Roy White, Bonds and Piniella. But Piniella was a washout that year, and Maddox's season ended when he hurt his knee in June. White and Bonds were banged up at the same time, and the Yankees got so desperate that one day they had a starting outfield of Thurman Munson, Kerry Dineen and Rick Dempsey. They still managed to stay in the race until mid-July, but that was it.

Who knows, if they'd stayed healthy, I might not have had to endure the World Series I hated more than any other.
    You are partialy correct. Piniella got the hit but it was not at Shea Stadium. Can you guess where he got it.

As for the 1975 season. Yankees were in first place in June when the entire outfield was hurt in the same week. Biggest loss was Bonds who was among the league leaders in HRs and RBI's when he hurt his leg in Chicago. Things got so bad that in a game at Shea Stadium
    the Yankees started two catchers in the corner OF positions with Kerry Dineen in CF. Hunter pitched a shutout that day.

NYYF Legend

This one is still up also.
    Someone answered it but missed the most important part. The stadium the hit came in.

You are partialy correct. Piniella got the hit but it was not at Shea Stadium. Can you guess where he got it.

As for the 1975 season. Yankees were in first place in June when the entire outfield was hurt in the same week. Biggest loss was Bonds who was among the league leaders in HRs and RBI's when he hurt his leg in Chicago. Things got so bad that in a game at Shea Stadium
    the Yankees started two catchers in the corner OF positions with Kerry Dineen in CF. Hunter pitched a shutout that day.
    OK, I got it. The game was suspended after 14 innings because of the AL's old 1AM curfew. They were going to complete it the next day at Shea, but that was rained out. Since it was the Twins' last trip to NY for the season, they finished the game a week later in Minnesota. I will take your word for the fact that it was the first walk-off hit by a Yankee RF in the 15 years that the Twins had played at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington.

I would argue that Maddox was a greater loss than Bonds. Bonds was a much better hitter, obviously , but he was only out for a week, while Maddox was out for the rest of the season. Maddox was having a good offensive season, as he had the year before; he was also the key to their outfield defense, because he was their only real center fielder, and a darn good one. When Bonds came back they put him in center field, but despite his speed, he wasn't really a center fielder. When Billy Martin came on board in August, he hated Bonds, and mostly played Rick Bladt and Rich Coggins in CF the rest of the way. Losing Maddox created a big hole, one that they solved the following year when they traded Bonds.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

OK, I got it. The game was suspended after 14 innings because of the AL's old 1AM curfew. They were going to complete it the next day at Shea, but that was rained out. Since it was the Twins' last trip to NY for the season, they finished the game a week later in Minnesota. I will take your word for the fact that it was the first walk-off hit by a Yankee RF in the 15 years that the Twins had played at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington.

I would argue that Maddox was a greater loss than Bonds. Bonds was a much better hitter, obviously , but he was only out for a week, while Maddox was out for the rest of the season. Maddox was having a good offensive season, as he had the year before; he was also the key to their outfield defense, because he was their only real center fielder, and a darn good one. When Bonds came back they put him in center field, but despite his speed, he wasn't really a center fielder. When Billy Martin came on board in August, he hated Bonds, and mostly played Rick Bladt and Rich Coggins in CF the rest of the way. Losing Maddox created a big hole, one that they solved the following year when they traded Bonds.
    You are correct. I was there for the Shea part of the game and I actually knew someone who went to Minnesota for the game's completion.

I agree that Maddox was a big loss and his injury was such a freak thing. He blew his leg out catching a routine fly ball at Shea in a game the Yankees had a big lead in.
    I believe Bonds was out for more than a week and when he came back he was not the same player as before the injury. Even with the injuries the Yankees stayed in the race until late July when a doubleheader shutout loss to the Red Sox killed them. I can still remember Fred Lynn making an impossible catch off a Nettles line drive that would have won the first game of that DH for the Yankees.
    "Catfish" Hunter was unreal that season for the Yankees.

You are correct. I was there for the Shea part of the game and I actually knew someone who went to Minnesota for the game's completion.

I agree that Maddox was a big loss and his injury was such a freak thing. He blew his leg out catching a routine fly ball at Shea in a game the Yankees had a big lead in.
    I believe Bonds was out for more than a week and when he came back he was not the same player as before the injury. Even with the injuries the Yankees stayed in the race until late July when a doubleheader shutout loss to the Red Sox killed them. I can still remember Fred Lynn making an impossible catch off a Nettles line drive that would have won the first game of that DH for the Yankees.
    "Catfish" Hunter was unreal that season for the Yankees.
    You're essentially right about the time Bonds missed. He was out for a week, then played RF for one game. But over the following week, he didn't play much - a couple of games as PH, a couple as DH. It was three weeks before he was a full-time outfielder again.

There wsan't really a dropoff in his hitting, though. .253/.342/.525 before the injury, .281/.394/.505 after. His HR rate went down some, but he still finished 4th in the league; and if he had fewer RBIs, that was probably because they moved him into the leadoff spot.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Game-Ending Hits

Anyone know much about these type hits? Click and see.

NYYF Legend

Through #422 ... with one (#421) that is still unanswered.

#1 Ray Dandridge (yankeebot)
    #2 Ted Williams - July 25, 1966 (JDPNYY) Cooperstown, New York homerun #522 (yankeebot)
    #3 Vinny Castilla (THEBOSS84) Most HR's by Mexican born player (THEBOSS84)
    #4 Enrique Wilson (JDPNYY)
    #5 Don Baylor (THEBOSS84)
    #6 Harry Heitmann (yankeebot)
    #7 Larry Goetz (The Sox Kid)
    #8 Joe McCarthy (The Sox Kid)
    #8A Randy Johnson (yankeebot)
    #9 George Frazier (The Sox Kid)
    #10 Gus Niarhos (apolansk)
    #11 Babe Ruth (apolansk, Soriambi, THEBOSS84, JDPNYY, Tifoso and Don Mattingly)
    #12 Honus Wagner (apolansk)
    #13 Dave Kingman (The Sox Kid)
    #14 George Halas (hellonewman)
    #15 George Whiteman (The Sox Kid)
    #16 Hippo Vaughn (The Sox Kid)
    #17 Babe Ruth (The Sox Kid)
    #18 Paul Waner (26xwc)
    #19 Joltin' Joe DiMaggio (apolansk)
    #20 Joe McGinnity (apolansk)
    #21 Jim Thorpe (26xwc)
    #22 Keith McDonald (yankeebot)
    #23 Cy Young (26xwc)
    #24 Candy Cummings (26xwc)
    #25 Bert Shepard (Casey37)
    #26 Catfish Metkovich (Casey37)
    #27 Lefty Gomez (thecaptain)
    #28 Henry Brooks (no one got him right)
    #29 "Stubby" Manger (Jenn6812)
    #30 "Hippo" Vaughn (Jenn6812)
    #31 Wilbur "Roxey" Roach (26xwc)
    #32 George (Snuffy) Stirnweiss (26xwc)
    #33 Casey Stengel (26xwc... the wizzard!)
    #34 "Aaron" Andrew Robinson (26xwc)
    #35 Bert Campaneris (thecaptain)
    #36 Tom Clancey Sheehan (Casey37)
    #37 Henry Cotto (yankeebot)
    #38 Walter Alston (Casey37 - Mike)
    #39 Dave McNally (yankeebot)
    #40 Roger Maris (yankeebot)
    #41 Jason Bay (apolansk)
    #42 Mickey "The Commerce Comet" Mantle (Steve J. Rogers)
    #43 Rynie Wolters (thecaptain)
    #44 Bert Blyleven (thecaptain)
    #45 Buck Ewing (Casey37 and "2-minute rule exception..." diehardyankeefan)
    #46 Roger "Rocket" Clemens (26xwc - The Wizzard)
    #47 Albert "Butts" Wagner (26xwc... the wizzard!)
    #48 Sam Jones (26xwc)
    #49 Mel Stottlemyre (26xwc)
    #50 Frankie "The Fordham Flash" Frisch (diehardyankeefan)
    #51 Paul O'Neill ( )

#52 Robert Eenhoorn (thecaptain)
    #53 Rogers Hornsby (Casey37)
    #54 Cliff Mapes ( )

#55 Jim Palmer (26xwc)
    #56 Pat Dobson (thecaptain and 26xwc)
    #57 Pete Rose (The Sox Kid)
    #58 George Sisler (26xwc)
    #59 Randy Johnson (26xwc)
    #60 Lon Warneke (yankeemarc923)
    #61 Tom Seaver (thecaptain)
    #62 Jim Palmer (Paiglee)
    *#63 Dennis Martinez (no one got him right)
    #64 Pedro Martinez (apolansk)
    #65 Carlton Fisk (Paiglee)
    #66 Tim McCarver (26xwc)
    #67 Paul Schreiber (thecaptain)
    #68 Luther Almus "Doc" Cook (26xwc)
    #69 Lee Magee (26xwc)
    #70 Warren Spahn (The Sox Kid)
    #71 Elston Howard (26xwc)
    #72 Monte Pearson (26xwc)
    #73 Mark McGwire (thecaptain)
    #74 Tom Thevenow (hellonewman)
    #75 Alfonso Soriano (Paiglee)
    #76 Gonzalo Marquez (26xwc)
    #77 Robin Ventura (26xwc)
    #78 Vince Coleman (Paiglee)
    #79 Johnny Podres (soxfansince67)
    #80 Joe Torre (soxfansince67)
    #81 Tommy Henrich (Paiglee)
    #82 Goose Goslin (soxfansince67)
    #83 Jack Quinn (26xwc)
    #84 Quinn (soxfansince67)
    #85 Jim Bagby Sr. & Jim Bagby Jr. (The Wizard - 26xwc)
    #86 Mike Schmidt (hellonewman)
    #87 Hal Newhouser (hellonewman)
    #88 Glen Gorbous (26xwc)
    #89 Vince DiMaggio (soxfansince67)
    #90 Doc Crandall (soxfansince67)
    #91 Stan Coveleski (soxfansince67)
    #92 Paddy O'Connor (soxfansince67
    #93 Jesse Haines (JL25and3)
    #94 Dave Roberts (THEBOSS84)
    #95 Neal Ball (JL25and3)
    #96 Deacon McGuire (JL25and3)
    #97 Jim Beattie (JL25and3)
    #98 Brian Doyle (soxfansince67)
    #99 Denny Doyle (soxfansince67)
    #100 Jerry Remy (soxfansince67)
    #101 Moe Berg (JL25and3)
    #102 Lipman Emanuel "Lip" Pike (JL25and3)
    #103 Hank Borowy (JL25and3)
    #104 Hank Greenberg (JL25and3)
    #105 Vic Power (soxfansince67) *Stole home twice in the same game
    #106 Grover Cleveland Alexander (JL25and3)
    #107 Moses Fleetwood Walker (JL25and3)
    #108 Tom Mullane (JL25and3)
    #109 Cap Anson (JL25and3)
    #110 Dave Dravecky (soxfansince67)
    *#111 Mike Glavine ( )
    *#112 Tom Glavine ( )
    *#113 Mike Piazza ( )
    *#114 Bob Murphy ( )

Turkey Day People #1 Lefty Gomez (yankeebot)
    Turkey Day People #2 Harry Brooks (apolansk, yankeebot)

#115 Masanori Murakami (Steve J Rogers)
    *#116 Babe Ruth ( and JL25and3)
    *#117 Dave Righetti ( )
    #118 Johnny Pesky (JL25and3)
    #118a Cookie Lavagetto ( )
    #119 ??? *Damn* ... it was Rich "Goose-zilla" Gossage, whose bacon was saved by his future manager, Russell Earl Dent.
    #120 Rick Monday (JL25and3)
    #121 Charles Augustus "Kid" Nichols (JL25and3)
    #122 Joe Nuxhall (JL25and3)
    #123 Harry Danning (JL25and3)
    #124 Joe McGinty (JL25and3)
    #125 Barry Bonds (JL25and3)
    #126 Charlie Robertson (JL25and3)
    #127 Russ Wrightstone (JL25and3)
    #128 Frank Parkinson (JL25and3)
    #129 Cliff Heathcote (JL25and3)
    #130 Charlie Hollocher (JL25and3)
    #131 Bobby Ray Murcer (JL25and3)
    #132 Benny Kauff (JL25and3)
    #133 Cal Ripken Jr. (THEBOSS84)
    #134 Mark Davis (Steve J. Rogers)
    #135 Big Unit (Steve J. Rogers)
    #136 Nolan Ryan (JL25and3)
    *#137 James Augstine "Catfish" Hunter ()
    *#138 The Mick ()
    #139 Sandy Koufax (Yankees Empire)
    #139A Randy Johnson (Big_E}
    *#140 "Old Lefty" Joe Nuxhall ( )
    #141 Steve Christmas (JL25and3)
    #142 James Wear "Bug" Holliday. (Bug?) (JL25and3)
    #143 Eddie "Cocky" Collins (JL25and3)
    #144 Curt Schilling (JL25and3)
    #145 Rob Dibble (soxfansince67)
    #146 Andres Gallarraga (soxfansince67)
    *#147 Rich McKinney (JL25and3)
    *#148 Bobby Grich (Bernie51Williams)
    *#149 Don Baylor (Bernie51Williams)
    *#150 Rob Gardner (fredgmuggs)
    #151 Hank Bauer (Rich McKinney)
    *#152 Ed Herrmann (fredgmuggs)
    *#153 Richie Scheinblum (soxfansince67)
    #154 Jack Taylor (Rich McKinney)
    #155 Harry Wheeler (Rich McKinney)
    #156 George Bignell (soxfansince67)
    #157 Harmon Killebrew (JL25and3)
    #158 Tom Sturdivant.(fredgmuggs)
    #159 George Kell (Rich McKinney)
    #160 Matt Alexander (JL25and3)
    #161 Rick Mahler (JL25and3)
    #162 Vida Blue (JL25and3)
    #163 Juan Gonzalez (JL25and3)
    #164 Joe Girardi (soxfansince67)
    #165 "Prince Hal" Chase (Rich McKinney)
    #166 Ted Lyons (JL25and3)
    #167 Jerome Walton (Rich McKinney)
    #168 Herb Score (soxfansince67)
    #169 Luis Aparicio (Rich McKinney)
    #170 Ron "Louisiana Lightning" or "Gator" Guidry (Rich McKinney)
    *#171 Bobby Bonds (BillBuckner)
    #172 Fernando Valenzuela (JL25and3)
    *#173 (F) Captain Benjamin Sisko (yankeebot)
    #174 Roberto Clemente (JL25and3)
    #175 Tony Olivia (JL25and3)
    *#176 Jack Russell (yankeebot)
    #177 Wade Boggs (JL25and3)
    #178 Mike Greenwell (JL25and3)
    #179 Don Zimmer (JL25and3)
    #180 Larry Goetz ... for the time being. was supposed to be someone different
    *#181 Ralph Kiner (yankeesmarc923)
    #182 Wilbur Wood (yankeesmarc923)
    #183 Carl Weilman (thecaptain)
    #184 Captain Eddie Grant -- United States Army (JL25and3)
    #185 Chief Bender (soxfansince67)
    #186 Jack Coombs (soxfansince67)
    #187 George Aloys "Showboat" Fisher (TheDynasty26)
    #188 Mike Coolbaugh (The Sox Kid was suggested) by (JL25and3)
    #189 Curtis Leskanic (JL25and3) and half credit (The Sox Kid)
    #190 Makato Suzuki (JL25and3) and half credit (The Sox Kid)
    #191 Jon Garland (JL25and3) and half credit (The Sox Kid)
    #192 Jimmy Archer (JL25and3)
    #193 Butch Henline (soxfansince67)
    *#194 Leo Durocher (Terry)
    #195 Jocko Conlan (soxfansince67)
    #196 George Mullin (thecaptain)
    #197 Cornelius Alexander (Coonie) Mack (JL25and3) Was born Cornelius Alexander McGillicuddy
    #198 Ty Cobb (TheDynasty26)
    #199 Zack Day (JL25and3)
    #200 John Smoltz (JL25and3)
    #201 Dizzy Dean (JL25and3
    #202 Hank Schenz (JL25and3)
    #203 James Francis "Pud" Galvin (JL25and3)
    #204 Tim Keefe (JL25and3)
    #205 Jason Derik "Izzy" Isringhausen (diehardyankeefan)
    #206 William Van Landingham (diehardyankeefan)
    #207 Edgar Renteria (TheDynasty26)
    #208 Allen Travers (JL25and3)
    #209 Jimmie Reese (DiMaggio56Mantle)
    #210 Carl Yastrzemski (DiMaggio56Mantle)
    #210A Yaz (thecaptain)
    #211 Sandy Amoros (thecaptain)
    #212 Philip Francis Rizzuto "Scooter" (thecaptain)
    #213 George Pipgras (JL25and3)
    #214 Hadeki Matsui (The Sox Kid and Y4L)
    #215 James Bentley "Cy" Seymour (penguin4)
    #216 Max Patkin (JL25and3)
    #217 Phil Douglas (JL25and3)
    #218 Dave Robertson (JL25and3)
    #219 Eddie Murray (soxfansince67)
    #220 Charles Leander "Bumpus" Jones (soxfansince67)
    #221 Ray Grimes (soxfansince67)
    #222 Tim Raines (montrealer)
    #223 Walker Cooper (soxfansince67)
    #224 Johnny Kucks (groovitude)
    #225 Norman "Turkey" Stearnes (soxfansince67)
    #226 Bill Dinneen (soxfansince67)
    #227 Louis "Chief" Sockalexis (soxfansince67)
    #228 "Parisian Bob" Caruthers (soxfansince67)
    #229 Bobby "Doc" Brown (soxfansince67)
    #230 Joe Start (shotz)
    *#231 Bill Sharman (49andCounting)
    #232 Jake Murrell Jones (49andCounting)
    #233 Yogi Berra (49andCounting)
    *#234 Dave DeBusschere (49andCounting)
    #235 "Wee Tommy" Leach (49andCounting)
    *#236 Murray Dickson (49andCounting)
    #237 Jack Clements (JL25and3)
    *#238 Tom Seaver (JL25and3)
    #239 Barry Bonds (49andCounting)
    *#240 Tom Tresh (49andCounting)
    #241 Albert William Kaline (49andCounting)
    #242 Sammy Sosa (49andCounting)
    #243 Manny Ramirez (49andCounting)
    #243+ Ted Williams (49andCounting)
    #244 Hank Aaron (49andCounting)
    #245 Dwight Evans (49andCounting)
    #246 Derek Jeter (JL25and3)
    #247 "Big Ed" Delahanty (JL25and3)
    #248 Albert Goodwill Spalding (49andCounting)
    #249 Bill Monbouquette (49andCounting)
    #250 Mel Ott (Yankee Tripper)
    #251 Bill "Spaceman" Lee (JL25and3)
    *#252 Charlie Pride (49andCounting)
    #253 Barry Lamar Bonds (Yankee Tripper)
    #254 Stu Miller (JL25and3)
    #255 Diomedes Antonio Olivo (Maldonado) ... (JL25and3 is right again)
    #256 Billy Geer (49andCounting)
    #257 Harry Leon "Kid" Keenan (49andCounting)
    #258 Satchel Paige (49andCounting)
    #259 Joe Cronin (49andCounting)
    *#260 Darryl Strawberry (49andCounting)
    #261 Philip Francis Rizzuto (49andCounting)
    #262 Joseph Paul DiMaggio (49andCounting)
    #263 Charles Herbert "Red" Ruffing (49andCounting)
    #264 Ken Griffey Jr. (49andCounting)
    #265 James Emory "Jimmie" Foxx (49andCounting)
    *#266 Billy Beane (thecaptain)
    #267 George "Rip" Van Haltren (groovitude)
    #268 Jack "John Needles" Bentley (Yankee Tripper)
    #269 Babe Ruth (hellonewman)
    #270 Ladislaw Waldemar =is= Whitey Witt (hellonewman)
    #271 (R) Jason Bay (The Sox Kid)
    #272 Reggie Jackson (49andCounting)
    #273 Joe Sewell (49andCounting)
    *#274 Billy North (Yankee Tripper)
    #275 Glenn Williams (JL25and3)
    *#276 Mike Kekich (JL25and3)
    *#277 Rick Bladt ( )
    *#278 Coco Laboy (49andCounting)
    *#279 Alex Johnson (49andCounting)
    *#280 Roger Craig (Yankee Tripper)
    #281 Johnny Lindell (JL25and3)
    *#282 Mickey Lolich (hellonewman)
    #283 Lou Gehrig (JL25and3)
    #284 Bob Shawkey (hellonewman)
    #285 Bob Meusel (hellonewman)
    #286 William Arthur "Candy" Cummings (hellonewman)
    #287 Fred Goldsmith (Yankee Tripper)
    #288 Irv Young (JL25and3)
    #289 Roy Weatherly (Gusto)
    #290 Frank "Wildfire" Schulte (JL25and3)
    #291 George Crosby (JL25and3)
    #292 Bob Brenly (Gusto)
    *#293 Dave DeBusschere (no one got the answer)
    *#294 Mr. Ruth (JL25and3)
    #295 Duke Farrell (Gusto)
    #296 Hardy Richardson (no one got the answer)
    #297 George Uhle (Yankee Tripper)
    #298 Brooks Conrad (JL25and3)
    #299 Wilcy Moore (JL25and3)
    #300 Beals Becker (Gusto)
    #301 Lou Bierbauer (groovitude)
    #302 Roy Face (thecaptain)
    #303 Willie McGill (JL25and3)
    #304 James Burke (Gusto)
    *#305 Tom Burgmeier (groovitude)
    *#306 Chuck Knoblauch (JL25and3)
    #307 Sammy Byrd (Yankee Tripper)
    #308 Herman Pitz (JL25and3)
    #309 Charles Arthur "Dazzy" Vance (JL25and3)
    #310 Bob Black (groovitude)
    #311 Charlie Hustle (Gusto)
    *#312 Hal Reniff ... also Darrin Chapin (groovitude)
    *#313 Deacon McGuire, Andy Kosco, and Dave Rajsich +Sammy Ellis - coached, and Eddie Yuhas - was signed by Yankees, but went off to war before he could play with the team (groovitude)
    #314 Billy Rohr (MMantle7)
    *#315 Joe Gordon briefly, then Johnny Sturm (Gusto)
    *#316 Jerry Priddy (Gusto)
    #317 Jim Greengrass (groovitude)
    #318 Spurgeon Ferdinand "Spud" Chandler (JL25and3)
    #319 Negro Leaguer, Don "Groundhog" Johnson (Gusto)
    *#320 Deion Sanders (Gusto)
    #321 Edward Charles "Whitey" Ford (JL25and3)
    #322 Johnny Mize (Gusto)
    #323 Murry Dickson (Tommy John)
    *#324 Roger Maris ()
    *#325 Billy Martin (Yankee Tripper)
    #326 *Kermit Wahl (4gehrig)
    #327 Kermit Wahl (4gehrig)
    *#328 Ron Hassey (Gusto)
    *#329 Fred Merkle (JL25and3)
    #330 Jake Daubert (Ryan Visbeck)
    *#331 Hugh Alexander (Gusto)
    *#332 Herb Score (ymike673)
    #333 Harry Davis (Gusto)
    #334 Charlie Hickman (Gusto)
    #335 Ace Parker (groovitude)
    #336 Bid McPhee (groovitude)
    #337 Wes Livengood (groovitude)
    *#338 M Mantle ()
    #339 Lena Blackburne (ymike673)
    #340 Chris Coghlan (groovitude)
    *#341 Mike Hegan ()
    #342 Kendrys Morales (thecaptain)
    *#343 George Burns (JL25and3)
    *#344 Hank Helf (ymike673)
    #345 Charley O'Leary (groovitude)
    *#346 Luis Alicea (ymike673
    *#347 Steve O'Neill (ymike673)
    *#348 Jim Mason (groovitude)
    #349 Mo Vaughn (ymike673)
    *#350 Napoleon "Larry" Lajoie ()
    *#351 Lou Gehrig (groovitude)
    *#352 Mike Hegan (ymike673)
    #353 Montgomery Marcellus "Monte" Pearson (groovitude)
    *#354 Max Carey ... Maximilian Carnarius (groovitude)
    *#355 Charley Lupica (ymike673)
    #356 Bobo Newsom (groovitude)
    *#357 Spider-Man, Peter Parker (groovitude)
    #358 Rick Cerone (ymike673)
    #359 Bob Cerv (groovitude)
    #360 Dave Parker (ymike673)
    *#361 Lou Boudreau ()
    #362 Joe Collins (groovitude)
    #363 Rodney Scott (Gusto)
    #364 Pepper Martin (Gusto)
    *#365 Dusty Rhodes ()
    #366 Charles "Old Hoss" Radbourne (JL25and3)
    *#367 Max "Lefty" Weisman (groovitude)
    *#368 Cleveland Indians (ymike673)
    *#369 Jim Bagby (ymike673)
    #370 Phil "Flip" Paine (Rich McKinney)
    #371 Kent Hrbek (Big_E)
    *#372 Jerry Grote (groovitude)
    *#373 Pedro Ramos (ymike673)
    *#374 Paul Waner (MMantle7)
    *#375 John Ellis ()
    *#376 John Farrell (JL25and3)
    *#377 Randy Keisler (4LouGehrig)
    *#378 Jack Graney (thecaptain)
    *#379 Steve Rogers (groovitude)
    #380 Pete Reiser (hellonewman)
    #381 Leo Durocher (hellonewman)
    *#382 Randy Poffo .. The late professional wrestling icon, Randy "The Macho Man" Savage (no one got him right)
    *#383 Nap Lajoie (Yankee Tripper) Was left off 10/17/2011 list. Sorry, Lou!
    *#384 Lou Gehrig (thecaptain)
    *#385 Bill Dickey ()
    *#386 Babe Ruth never wore the hometown pinstripes with the interlocking NY logo(ymike673)
    #387 Al Simmons (Yankee Tripper)
    #388 Joe DiMaggio (Yankee Tripper)
    #389 Amos Strunk (ymike673)
    #390 Ernie Koop (Steve J. Rogers)
    *#391 Doctor Who (groovitude)
    *#392 Kal-El (no one was able to get the answer right)
    #393 Jeff Fassero (groovitude)
    #394 Rudy Kallio (JL25and3)
    #395 Home Run Baker (groovitude)
    *#396 Along with Jim Thome, all were repeaters with the Indians ()
    #397 Pete Donohue (groovitude)
    #398 Carlos Ruiz off Aroldis Chapman (JL25and3)
    #398A David Eckstein off Joel Zumaya (longtimeyankeefan)
    #399 Tommy Corcoran (groovitude)
    #400 Fred Lieb (hellonewman)
    #401 Vernon Decatur Stephens (JL25and3)
    #402 Eddie Ainsmith (JL25and3)
    *#403 Miguel Dilone ()
    #404 Billy Evans (4LouGehrig)
    #405 Joe Black (JL25and3)
    *#406 John Herrnstein (thecaptain)
    #407 Jimmy Callahan (Big_E)
    *#408 Who's on first? (Big_E)
    #409 Gomer Hodge (4LouGehrig)
    *#410 Harold Newhouser (thecaptain)

*#411 Johnny Callison. ( )
    *#412 Paul O'Neill (JL25and3)
    *#413 Don Larsen (groovitude)
    #414 Allie Renolds, the Super Chief (Nome)
    #415 Alex Rodriguez (groovitude)
    #416 Charlie Keller (groovitude)
    *#417 Ron Lolich ()
    *#418 Travis "Pronk" Hafner (Yankee Tripper)
    #419 Ben Chapman (philleotardo)
    *#420 Lou Piniella, Yankee walk-off hit in MinnesotaE (JL25and3)
    #422 Cy Williams (hellonewman)

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Who am I? #421

You know, it may look like I gave up a walk-off home run in my career, but turns out I didn't. The walk-off home run that was supposedly hit off me came in the tenth inning of a game, and was hit by a really good rookie outfielder that I was facing for the very first time. He was the only batter I pitched to in the game. So what happened you're probably asking yourself? What about this walk-off home run? What follows is the scoop on the game:

After the ninth inning, when the home team we were playing rallied with four runs to tie the score, our Manager announced to umpire Ziggy Sears that we were playing the game under protest. He argued that Dusty's drive in the sixth against the edge of the pavilion roof in deep right center, which went for a triple, should have been ruled a homer. With that homer our lead in the game would of been 6- 1 instead of 5- 1. The game was now tied 5- 5 in the ninth, instead of us winning 6- 5. Extra innings ... and the "walk-off" home run I give up ends the game.

Now, when you look in the current day record books you'll find that Dusty did wind-up getting credit for that home run that our manager argued that he had hit. Of course this also meant he got credit for that run he had scored in the game, by hitting the home run, which gave us 6 runs scored earlier in the game instead of 5. Now here is where the record books show something else. The record books also show the rookie that hit the home run off of me ... still got himself a walk-off home run in the game, instead of just a regular homer, giving him a good bunch of the walk-off type in his HOF career. As for me ... well ... you know what the record books say!

Who am I?
    You are Gene Schott. The rookie was Enos Slaughter. Dusty was Dusty Cooke.

May 14, 1938

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    You are Gene Schott. The rookie was Enos Slaughter. Dusty was Dusty Cooke.

May 14, 1938
    You are the man, Big_E!

Gene Schott is the pitcher for "Who Am I" #421. He shows a walk-off home run hit against him on May 14. It is the only walk-off hit against him during his career.

Gene Schott Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Enos Slaughter is listed as having 5 walk-off home runs, one being on May 14, 1938. This was the second career home run hit by Slaughter during his HOF career.

Enos Slaughter Career Home Runs - Baseball-Reference.com

Dusty Cooke did get credit for a home run - not a triple. The home run is listed as being #23 in his major league career.

Dusty Cooke Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

The game is in the books as having been a 7- 7 tie:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1938/05141938.htm

CIN N 0 2 0 1 0 3 0 0 0 1 - 7 13 3
    STL N 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 2 - 7 11 5

BOX HR: Cooke (1), Slaughter (2)

Who am I? #422

I hit 4 "Inside The Park" HRs in my career. Since this is question #422, I knew a young man and his dad who used to drive that state route to see me play. Who am I?
    It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra
    NYYFans.com - Simply the best sports forum on the 'net. Thank you!

NYYF Legend

you are you? Or Mickey Mantle #7
    Baseball is life;

you are you? Or Mickey Mantle #7
    Tripper - I know that was a tough one but I was just trying to "trip" you up!!

You are, of course, correct.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MMantle7 View Post
    Tripper - I know that was a tough one but I was just trying to "trip" you up!!

You are, of course, correct.
    His first was hit on the road but 3 of those were hit to CF in Yankee satdium. I wonder how manyof those were aided by the monuments being out there?
    Baseball is life;

His first was hit on the road but 3 of those were hit to CF in Yankee satdium. I wonder how manyof those were aided by the monuments being out there?
    I don't know but I've been watching baseball since 1948 and he is the greatest player I have ever seen. It's just too bad he didn't keep himself in shape and had the bad knees.

I NEVER saw anyone run to 1st like him and a MLB umpire told my dad that when he umped behind the plate and Mantle swung, it looked like every muscle in his neck were going to pop right through his skin.

Tripper - a walk off home run could NEVER be hit on the ROAD!!

I'd guess it had less to do with the monuments themselves than with the distance out there. Hit it over the outfielder's head and it could bounce out there just about forever.
    - Barry Manilow

I'd guess it had less to do with the monuments themselves than with the distance out there. Hit it over the outfielder's head and it could bounce out there just about forever.
    But he couldn't have hit his first on the ROAD!!!

Thread Information