+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 114 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: Who am I?

A clue for #25. An answer in part. What had I accomplished? I pitched with just one leg ... which was something no one had ever done in the Major Leagues. The leg had to be amputated when my plane was shot down in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Who am I? #25 and #26

I played some minor league ball before the war and some at its beginning, but found myself drafted into the service just about like everyone else.

I became a pilot during World War II, flying combat missions in a P-38 Thunderbolt with the Fifty-Fifth Fighter Group of the U.S. Eighth Air Force. I flew thirty-three night time missions. My thirty-fourth mission would be our first daytime bombing raid over Berlin and I volunteered for it, even though I wasn't scheduled to fly that day. I knew that we needed as many pilots as possible because there was going to be low-level bombing and plenty of strafing pilots were needed.

As we were closing in on our target, I got ready to strafe an aerodrome about a mile and a half away ... coming in real low to the ground, about 20-25 feet above it. When flying into an aerodrome to strafe it there are probably 100 to 200 automatic weapons trained in on you by the Germans in a crossfire. Some of our guys had already made a pass on the field and I could see some German planes already in flames, so there was a good column of smoke to line up on as I closed in at 380+ miles per hour.

Maybe a little less than a mile from the field I take hits from that cross fire and feel the sting of a severe wound ... then I get hit in the chin and start to black out and realize I have to pull up ... but I just couldn't do it. The P-38 slams into the ground at 380 miles per hour, explodes and burns.

I wake up days later in a German hospital talk some and am happy to be alive and they give me a shot for pain and I'm off to dream land again. Some time later after I'm recovered from my injuries, I'm off to a POW camp.

Months later, Red Cross came to the camp to interview injured detainees and identify those unable to return to combat. I was examined and cleared for repatriation in the next trade of POWs between the Allies and the Axis and after 8 long months as a prisoner of war I was on my way home aboard a Swedish Red Cross ship.

Who ever would of thought that about a month after getting off that ship in New York and ten months after being shot down and surviving a 380 miles per hour plane crash ... and that coming right after being severely wounded first ... could you believe that I'd get a try-out with a major league ball club. Then, within five more months I would find myself making my way to the mound in a relief appearance against the Red Sox that season. Who would believe it? I would.

There is a lot more to my story then what I've told. I had come into the game with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth inning with two outs. The first batter I had to face ... #26 ... was in his third season of his career with Boston. I got the count to 3 and 2, and I was saying to myself, hell, now you got to throw the ball over. You don't want to come in here and walk him.

With two out and the count full, the three base runners took off as soon as I went into my windup. I threw a fastball, above the waist and on the inside half of the plate. The batter swung and missed. I had struck out the first man I had ever faced in the majors -- with the bases loaded. With the inning over, I walked to the dugout to a standing ovation from the 13,035 fans in attendance.

I pitched 5.1 innings of relief that evening, facing 20 batters and giving up 3 hits and having one earned run scored against me. I walked one, hit one batter and struck out two. I even had two balls hit in my direction which I fielded and then threw each of the batters out at first. My earned run average stood at 1.69 ... and would remain there forever. I had done it. I had accomplished my dream of pitching in the major leagues ... and it was a first.

Who am I? Who was the first batter I faced and struck out? What had I accomplished?

Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:01 AM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Clue #24 When you take a good look at me ... I sure could of used plenty of something that was caused by Reggie Jackson to happen - for me to have back then when I played ball. I liked the sound of it related to me.

What something was it that this player could of used to pick up some weight on his slender body frame? Reggie had a Candy Bar named after him.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:03 AM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Clue #24 When you take a good look at me ... I sure could of used plenty of something that was caused by Reggie Jackson to happen - for me to have back then when I played ball. I liked the sound of it related to me.

What something was it that this player could of used to pick up some weight on his slender body frame? Reggie had a Candy Bar named after him.

I'm not throwing you a Curve here.

#24= The man believed to be the inventer of the curveball - Candy Cummings

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc

Thanks for playing. Please come back for more.

NYYF Legend

? Do you think I should make them a little easier maybe? And maybe involve the Yankees more?

Any other teams you want to see?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:04 AM.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #31 1863

Some called me "Roxey" and I haven't been alive for some 58 years. When you are walking around in some cluttered messy areas ... sometimes you may have bad thoughts about me.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-20-06 at 01:05 PM.

Who am I? #31

Some called me "Roxey" and I haven't been alive for some 58 years. When you are walking around in some cluttered messy areas ... sometimes you may have bad thoughts about me.

Wilbur Charles "Roxey" Roach

That's it, more Yankees please!

NYYF Legend

Wilbur Charles "Roxey" Roach

You know you got it. More Yankee ..............................
    ................................ Awwwwww $hit!

NYYF Legend

If that is what it takes ... my (5-time) winning friend... to get more of you people here. Here you go then.

Who am I? #32 and #33

(#32) No ... I don't have a cold ... I can breath just fine usually when it's cold outside. Do I sort of sound like I have one maybe? I called New York, New York home by birth and did have good times with the Yankees for awhile. Problem for me was that this guy comes along (#33) ... that had never-ever been a winner before and shows up and doesn't like me at all. All he had ever seen was at least four other teams were always better than his team for nine straight years... and his team was only once* a winner of sorts in that time ... imagine that... and it was ME that wasn't good enough for HIM once HE came here to the Yankees.

(#32) It's true though that I had shown most of my talent when the big guys were mostly gone during worldly problems, and when all that talent returned my numbers did slip some against the best ... but that is okay to say...because I did put 3 rings on my finger for God's sake in my day!

Who are we?

Hmmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:05 AM. Reason: once* meaning having a team play over .500 for him

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #34 1863

I'm not the all-time home run king in baseball ... that's for sure ... but something about me we do have in common. I started out in a Yankee uniform in a mask and had my best home run year in a year we blew it to the Red Sox. I don't know how we let that happen? Anyway, I was here in New York for my first 4 seasons. I got one ring and I had a very small part in another World Championship season with the Yankees.

I was never really a Tiger in New York ... but I turned into one later. I watched balls fly over the Green Monster in the end.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:06 AM.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #35

In Cuba they knew me as Dagoberto some 63 years past. I had a nice career and played with the Yankees. I even won three World Championship rings in my playing days. I've been known to play at catcher. I even pitched. Even played in the outfield - all three positions. I was a little short to play first base ... but I did.

Some Yankees I call a friend or teammates: Ralph Terry, Torrez, Gaylord, Bonds, Catfish, Rivers, Sparky, Winfield, Nettles, Mattingly, Guidry, Righetti, Gossage and Reggie! Quite a mixed bag of friends and teammates.

Almost forgot. I've fielded from third base too. Not to mention a little at second base. I forgot? Where else did I play? Oh! At short! A little of this and a little of that in my years.

Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Bert Campaeris

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain
    Bert Campaeris

Campy! You're right.

NYYF Legend

Another one-time Yankee from the distant past.

Who am I? #36

Clear and Present Danger? Not me with a 5.45 one-year Yankee career ERA. The Hunt for Red October ... would come for me 3 seasons later when with Cincinnati ... but we would finish in forth place and 10 games back when I had a 9 and 11 record. We'd do one place better the following season if I had stuck around... but instead I ended up on the first place team at seasons end.

If I had been alive in the 1980's with reading as a choice, I probably would have been interested in the most popular author of that time. Do you wonder why?

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:06 AM.

NYYF Legend

About as free a one that I can give you.

Who am I? #37

Like a Salami that is cooked, making it softer and more perishable... I had nice soft hands that helped me field very well in the outfield... perishing fly balls into outs. I was a backup outfielder playing 3 seasons with the Yankees and fielded .990... not that long ago.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 04-06-10 at 09:07 AM.

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

Another one-time Yankee from the distant past.

Who am I? #36

Clear and Present Danger? Not me with a 5.45 one-year Yankee career ERA. The Hunt for Red October ... would come for me 3 seasons later when with Cincinnati ...

Who am I?
    Who is Tom Sheehan?
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Legend

............ ........... I was off to Fenway on my Green Monster friend.........

when I realized that someone had a correct answer! How could you know???

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    Who is Tom Sheehan?
    Way to go Mike!

NYYF Legend

............ ........... I was off to Fenway on my Green Monster friend.........

when I realized that someone had a correct answer! How could you know???

Google is an amazing search machine.....
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Legend

Who is Tom Sheehan?

So far ...

#1 Ray Dandridge (yankeebot)
    #2 Ted Williams - July 25, 1966 (JDPNYY) Cooperstown, New York homerun #522 (yankeebot)
    #3 Vinny Castilla (THEBOSS84) Most HR's by Mexican born player (THEBOSS84)
    #4 Enrique Wilson (JDPNYY)
    #5 Don Baylor (THEBOSS84)
    #6 Harry Heitmann (yankeebot)
    #7 Larry Goetz (The Sox Kid)
    #8 Joe McCarthy (The Sox Kid)
    #8A Randy Johnson (yankeebot)
    #9 George Frazier (The Sox Kid)
    #10 Gus Niahros (apolansk)
    #11 Babe Ruth (apolansk, Soriambi, THEBOSS84, JDPNYY, Tifoso and Don Mattingly)
    #12 Honus Wagner (apolansk)
    #13 Dave Kingman (The Sox Kid)
    #14 George Halas (hellonewman)
    #15 George Whiteman (The Sox Kid)
    #16 Hippo Vaughn (The Sox Kid)
    #17 Babe Ruth (The Sox Kid)
    #18 Paul Waner (26xwc)
    #19 Joltin' Joe DiMaggio (apolansk)
    #20 Joe McGinnity (apolansk)
    #21 Jim Thorpe (26xwc)
    #22 Keith McDonald (yankeebot)
    #23 Cy Young (26xwc)
    #24 Candy Cummings (26xwc ... again.)
    #25 Bert Shepard (Casey37) right after doing #37
    #26 Catfish Metkovich (Casey37) Casey will not K! 3 straight

#29 "Stubby" Manger (Jenn6812)
    #30 "Hippo" Vaughn (Jenn6812)
    #31 Wilbur "Roxey" Roach (26xwc ... againagain)
    #32 ? ? ?
    #33 ? ? ?
    #34 ? ? ?
    #35 Bert Campaneris (thecaptain)
    #36 Tom Clancey Sheehan (Casey37)
    #37 ? ? ?

Now updated.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 11-23-06 at 12:58 PM.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #25 and #26

I pitched 5.1 innings of relief that evening, facing 20 batters and giving up 3 hits and having one earned run scored against me. I walked one, hit one batter and struck out two. I even had two balls hit in my direction which I fielded and then threw each of the batters out at first. My earned run average stood at 1.69 ... and would remain there forever. I had done it. I had accomplished my dream of pitching in the major leagues ... and it was a first.

Who am I? Who was the first batter I faced and struck out? What had I accomplished?

Bert Shepard? As to what the accomplishment was, not too sure about this one. Probably the first amputee to ever play in the majors?
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Legend

Bert Shepard? As to what the accomplishment was, not too sure about this one. Probably the first amputee to ever play in the majors?

A clue for #25. An answer in part. What had I accomplished? I pitched with just one leg... which was something no one had ever done in the Major Leagues. The leg had to be amputated when my plane was shot down in Germany.
    Again the winner Casey.

Anything on #26 by chance?

There is a lot more to my story then what I've told. I had come into the game with the bases loaded in the top of the fourth inning with two outs. The first batter I had to face ... #26 ... was in his third season of his career with Boston. I got the count to 3 and 2, and I was saying to myself, hell, now you got to throw the ball over. You don't want to come in here and walk him.

With two out and the count full, the three base runners took off as soon as I went into my windup. I threw a fastball, above the waist and on the inside half of the plate. The batter swung and missed. I had struck out the first man I had ever faced in the majors -- with the bases loaded. With the inning over, I walked to the dugout to a standing ovation from the 13,035 fans in attendance.

Who could this batter be on the Sox? 1945 was the year as I recall.
    Imagine. First time a one legged man pitches in the Majors he strikes out the batter with the bases loaded! That sounds like a Red Sox type of thing to happen? Doesn't it?

Anyway... another note. At the time this happened it was the second time up for the Sox batter in the inning. The Red Sox had already scored 10 runs in the inning I think!.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-26-10 at 04:11 AM.

NYYF Legend

Anything on #26 by chance?

This one's a real toughie. I'll take a chance and say Catfish Metkovich.
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Legend

This one's a real toughie. I'll take a chance and say Catfish Metkovich.
    I miss-spoke when I had said that I believed the Sox had scored 10 runs in the inning... it had actually been 12 runs before Shepard closed the door by striking out the Ted Williams look-a-like first baseman on the Red Sox, Catfish Metkovich. Way to go again Casey! The date that this happened was Aug 4th, 1945 ... during the second game of a double-header which gained the Sox a split for the day. The final was 15-4.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #27

I'm the first Yankee player that was born on a Thanksgiving Day ... ... but I sure didn't turn out to be a turkey. I was around long enough to collect 5 championship rings in my major league career.

Looking at my stats, I was a season league leader in some category or another for a total of 15 times ... all done during 5 different seasons with the first being when I was a 24-year-old and the last being when I was 31 years in age. I accomplished one very big goal for my career that puts me in special company.

Who am I?

Another little hint for this Yankee.

I was one of the retired Yankee guys that gathered with Joe D. over at his little restaurant back in his home town of Martinez California. The place was called "DiMaggio's Cafe" at the time. I lived nearby in another small town that was a little closer to Joe's place than Crow's town is over there in Stockton.

Thread Information