+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 114 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 2832

Thread: Who am I?

  1. #1
    Jenn Jenn6812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Back where we belong

    Who am I?

    I've played for New York, Detroit and Minnesota teams. I also spent a lot of time playing in Newark and even Tennessee, and also out of this country.

    I was born in Virginia a long time ago. I turned twenty in my first season of pro ball. I batted and threw right-handed.

    Some have called me diminutive. I was kind of bow-legged but that didn't matter ... cause many people think I was one of the best defensive third basemen in the history baseball - in any league. I was kind of flashy out there and liked to show off my arm for sure. I was mostly a contact hitter but could hit the ball everywhere cause I had outstanding bat control, and I consistently batted .300 or better. Late in my baseball career, I put four years together on one team where I batted .318 during that time and won a MVP award. The year before I won that award, I batted .362 and led all third basemen with a .981 fielding average. Funny thing was, I was 36 years old at that time... which means I was 37 years old when I got my MVP the next year.

    I'm not one to brag, but one important gentleman that had been a player, then manager and owner said this about me. "There simply never was a smoother functioning master at third base than *********, and he can hit that apple, too."

    So. Who am I?
    Love my Red Sox Fan


  2. #2
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn6812

    So. Who am I?
    Dave's wife?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  3. #3
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: Who am I?

    Ray Dandridge. Since he preferred the living conditions in the Mexican League, the Negro Leagues in the states must have been pretty awful!

  4. #4
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn6812
    I've played for New York, Detroit and Minnesota teams. I also spent a lot of time playing in Newark and even Tennessee, and also out of this country.

    I was born in Virginia a long time ago. I turned twenty in my first season of pro ball. I batted and threw right-handed.

    Some have called me diminutive. I was kind of bow-legged but that didn't matter ... cause many people think I was one of the best defensive third basemen in the history baseball - in any league. I was kind of flashy out there and liked to show off my arm for sure. I was mostly a contact hitter but could hit the ball everywhere cause I had outstanding bat control, and I consistently batted .300 or better. Late in my baseball career, I put four years together on one team where I batted .318 during that time and won a MVP award. The year before I won that award, I batted .362 and led all third basemen with a .981 fielding average. Funny thing was, I was 36 years old at that time... which means I was 37 years old when I got my MVP the next year.

    I'm not one to brag, but one important gentleman that had been a player, then manager and owner said this about me. "There simply never was a smoother functioning master at third base than *********, and he can hit that apple, too."

    So. Who am I?
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Ray Dandridge. Since he preferred the living conditions in the Mexican League, the Negro Leagues in the states must have been pretty awful!
    Oh man i was looking all over the net to find out who this player was. Now that I see that he didnt win an MLB mvp award I feel duped.

  5. #5
    Jenn Jenn6812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Back where we belong

    Re: Who am I?

    oop's, Dave posted this under my name because I didn't sign out earlier when I was trying to post a halloween pic of Katelynn....which I never figured out how to do. Now I'm going to have to go tell him. Sorry about that. HA HA
    Love my Red Sox Fan


  6. #6
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn6812

    So. Who am I?
    Dave?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  7. #7
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn6812
    oop's, Dave posted this under my name because I didn't sign out earlier when I was trying to post a halloween pic of Katelynn....which I never figured out how to do. Now I'm going to have to go tell him. Sorry about that. HA HA
    You expect us to believe Dave composed that whole post himself with only 1 smilie? And no colors? Hmmmm........now who is trying to dupe us?

  8. #8
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Who am I?

    Could someone give another " who am I " for us to figure out...Im bored at work (boss is in China right now and have nothing to do)

  9. #9
    Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA

    Re: Who am I?

    I played shortstop for the New York Yankees in 2000 and won the World Series MVP award.

    My Jersey number is 2 - and I was born in Jersey!

    Who am I?
    Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders
    I played shortstop for the New York Yankees in 2000 and won the World Series MVP award.

    My Jersey number is 2 - and I was born in Jersey!

    Who am I?
    I'm baffled

    Please give some more hints

  11. #11
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders
    I played shortstop for the New York Yankees in 2000 and won the World Series MVP award.

    My Jersey number is 2 - and I was born in Jersey!

    Who am I?
    Derek Jeter?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  12. #12
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Ray Dandridge. Since he preferred the living conditions in the Mexican League, the Negro Leagues in the states must have been pretty awful!
    Way to go Linda! How did you do it so fast?

    Raymond Emmitt Dandridge was born August 31, 1913, in Richmond, Virginia. The former Negro League stand-out third baseman lived long enough to see himself joining a special group of baseball people when he was elected into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1987 by the Veterans Committee for his playing contribution in the Negro Leagues. Mr. Dandridge passed away on February 12, 1994, in Palm Bay, Florida at the age of 80.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 10:57 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    Oh man i was looking all over the net to find out who this player was. Now that I see that he didnt win an MLB mvp award I feel duped.
    I'm sorry ... I don't know your name yet so I guess I'll stick with calling you THE BOSS.

    Sorry again. This can't count as a "dupe" because the man's Negro Leagues credentials were great enough to qualify Mr. Dandridge for induction into the Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  14. #14
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Way to go Linda! How did you do it so fast?
    I am the master of my .

  15. #15
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Derek Jeter?
    I believe there is a very good chance that you are right John. I just don't know though positively.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  16. #16
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    I am the master of my .
    Damn computers!
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 10:58 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  17. #17
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    I was a Major Leaguer. I did my best when I played ... and that was pretty damn good. Some here at this NYYFans forum may have some personal memories of me and my play... and plenty here would probably care less. I had problems at times with the press mostly ... sometimes I lost my head ... but those times are now in the past. I made this following quote about a great ballplayer from the other league at a special time for me. Can you guess who I am and when I said it?


    "The other day, Willie Mays hit his ***nd home run. He has gone past me, and he's pushing, and I say to him, 'Go get 'em, Willie'. Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel. This is the nature of man and the name of the game. I hope that someday Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson will be voted into the Hall of Fame as symbols of the great Negro players who are not here only because they weren't given the chance".
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  18. #18
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    I was a Major Leaguer. I did my best when I played ... and that was pretty damn good. Some here at this NYYFans forum may have some personal memories of me and my play... and plenty here would probably care less. I had problems at times with the press mostly ... sometimes I lost my head ... but those times are now in the past. I made this following quote about a great ballplayer from the other league at a special time for me. Can you guess who I am and when I said it?


    "The other day, Willie Mays hit his ***nd home run. He has gone past me, and he's pushing, and I say to him, 'Go get 'em, Willie'. Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel. This is the nature of man and the name of the game. I hope that someday Satchel Paige and Josh Gibson will be voted into the Hall of Fame as symbols of the great Negro players who are not here only because they weren't given the chance".
    Ted Williams
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  19. #19
    Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Derek Jeter?
    I'm sorry, the correct answer was Wayne Tolleson.
    Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

  20. #20
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders
    I'm sorry, the correct answer was Wayne Tolleson.
    Flipping a coin never works out for me.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Ted Williams
    Holy crap! Swiss cheese is holey crap! 4 friggin' minutes is all it took for you John? My God!

    Tell me. What was it that gave it away? Was it the head thing?


    Extra credit. When and where was it said and what home run is he talking about for Willie Mays? !
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 10:59 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  22. #22
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Extra credit. When and where was it said and what home run is he talking about for Willie Mays? !
    July 25, 1966
    Cooperstown, New York
    homerun #522

  23. #23
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    July 25, 1966
    Cooperstown, New York
    homerun #522

    Right again...
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-06-08 at 11:39 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  24. #24
    NYYF Legend

    Dave Visbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

    Re: Who am I?

    ANOTHER WHO AM I? #3

    I've accomplished some firsts a few times in my career that I'm proud of. I'm a leader in a very major category as one of the firsts ... something that IncredibleByNature and her brother would be happy about. The other first happened on the birthday day of one year for all these baseball fans ... (yanks24, Yanks21, long-time-yank-fan , The Pope, JWB, CecilioGuante, bigguygonz, j silky, Jaeho, Liyanksfan2003) ... by the way.

    I've played 3rd base primarily and have played with 5 different teams along the way. Thinking back, I think I've only played as a DH maybe two games in my 16-year long Major League career. Well... maybe more in Inter-league play ... I just don't remember.

    Who am I?

    *Also... name my firsts.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:00 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

    Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

  25. #25
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Who am I?

    Vinny Castilla??

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts