+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 113 FirstFirst ... 42 82 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2821

Thread: Who am I?

Re: Who am I?

Who am I #391?

Good question, because in nearly 50 years I've been about 11 official people, apparently a few more unofficially.

I'm primarily a British chap, been known to travel in...well, let's just say it's something Superman could have used back in the day for a quick change. Strangely enough, good looking women seem to provide me with much companionship over the decades.

Oh, as far as I know, no baseball connections, sorry...although I was seen in the early 1980s sporting a fetching cricket outfit, complete with a decorative vegetable!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck View Post
    Who am I? #390

I'm in the official record books for something I really didn't do in a game. At least that is the way things looked at games end. Let me tell you a little bit about this particular game:

I pitched all 9 innings.
    I gave up a hit to the second batter in the game.
    I walked 5 and had 2 strikeouts.
    I began a double play in the game.
    My opponents got but one man as far as second, that player reaching that base in the fifth inning when our shortstop threw wildly to first.
    I had faced a total of 32 batters at game's end.

When the game was over, I went home a happy man with my one-hit shutout that day against one very tough team.

Some three weeks later, the President of the American League made an official announcement. He ruled that in the future, the League's official scorers "will not be permited to change their minds on scoring hits and errors." His ruling was based on an outgrowth of a no-hit game.

The no-hit game the League President was refering to ... was the above mentioned game when I twirled my one-hitter! Well ... turns out ... that sometime after that game the official scorer good-naturedly changed hls mind and called the hit an error. This change of heart did not appear it the box score in the next day's newspaper. Even two days after the game was played my game was recalled as a one-hitter when mentioned along with news of other new game events that were appearing in print.

I really can't recall when the "no-hitter" change was first mentioned in print before the League President made his ruling. This may sound odd, but to be honest, I kinda wish the "no-hitter" had never hit the books and remained a one-hitter. Why? Well ... I think that no-hit game turned into a jinx for me. Very soon after the no-hitter change took place my pitching career pretty much fell apart and I was never the same pitcher again. That scorer that had instead good-naturedly changed hls mind and called that hit an error ... his change in thinking had ruined me and my future in the game. At least that is the way I see it.

Who am I?
    You be Ernie Koob of the St. Louis Browns!

http://milkeespress.com/officialscorers.html

While such scoring changes cast doubt over the validity of a no-hitter, at least pitchers such as Ehmke and Trucks have been able to enjoy a hearty celebration on the field at the conclusion of the game.
    A no-hitter by Ernie Koob of the St. Louis Browns against the Chicago White Sox on May 5, 1917 was different. Here the switch of a hit to an error did not occur until after the game.
    This game took place during a prolific period for no-hitters, some quite notable, around the majors as well as between the same two teams in the same ballpark. (Three days before Koob’s no-hitter, Hippo Vaughn of the Cubs and Fred Toney of the Reds each matched nine innings of hitless ball with Toney keeping his no-hitter and winning in ten innings. Seven weeks later, Ernie Shore relieved Babe Ruth, who was ejected after giving up a lead-off walk, and retired all the batters he faced. Shore for many years was credited with a perfect game although it is now officially ruled a combined no-hitter for Ruth and Shore. On top of this, the day after Koob’s no-hitter, Bob Groom of the Browns pitched two hitless innings in the first game of a doubleheader against the White Sox, then no-hit the Sox in the second game, giving him 11 hitless innings for the day and producing no-hitters on consecutive days at Sportsman’s Park.)

The Koob game came less than three weeks after Chicago’s Ed Cicotte had no-hit the Browns at Sportsman’s Park in another gem marked by controversy because of a scoring decision. Sox first baseman Chick Gandil was charged with an error when he couldn’t handle a wicked shot by Jimmy Austin of the Browns in the seventh inning.
    Now back in St. Louis on Saturday, May 5, Cicotte was Koob’s mound opponent and held the Browns to five hits and one unearned run, which was enough for Koob, who held the White Sox without a hit after a first-inning single by Buck Weaver.
    The hit by Weaver came on a high bounder to the right of the mound. Second baseman Ernie Johnson, according to the Chicago Tribune, “tore in and tried to pull a brilliant stop and throw, but failed.”

W. J. O’Connor, in his game account for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, although acknowledging that Johnson had given the grounder a “valorous battle,” described the play this way: “He [Johnson] first fielded it with his chest, and knocked it silly at his feet. He then laid a prehensile paw on the pill and came up with ample time to assist [George] Sisler with the out. But he suddenly lost his prehensileness, and tossed the ball over his shoulder like a superstitious person throwing salt to avoid a fight.”
    Although official scorer J. B. Sheridan had credited Weaver with a hit at the time it occurred, he began second guessing himself as the game progressed. After the game, the Post-Dispatch’s O’Connor reported, Sheridan “sought sounder counsel from the umpires, the ballplayers and those who were better able to feel the pulse of the play in question.
    “To a man the Browns and the enemy and the umps agreed that Johnson deserved an error and Koob a no-hit game. There was the suspicion of gang ethics, here; but the able and honorable official scorer yielded reluctantly under the preponderance of evidence and erased the hit, substituting the error.”

Exactly how long after the game it took Sheridan to reverse his decision is not clear. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch headline read, NO-HIT GAME NETS KOOB AND BROWNS ONE-RUN VICTORY: Weaver’s Drive in Opening Inning Was Scored a “Hit,” at First, but This Was Later Changed to an “Error.” But the Chicago Tribune headline, KOOB TAMES SOX IN ONE HIT GAME, 1-0, indicates that the play was still considered a hit at the time the Chicago reporter filed his story.

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers View Post
    You be Ernie Koob of the St. Louis Browns!

http://milkeespress.com/officialscorers.html

EXCELLENT JOB, MR. ROGERS!
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Who am I #391?

Good question, because in nearly 50 years I've been about 11 official people, apparently a few more unofficially.

I'm primarily a British chap, been known to travel in...well, let's just say it's something Superman could have used back in the day for a quick change. Strangely enough, good looking women seem to provide me with much companionship over the decades.

Oh, as far as I know, no baseball connections, sorry...although I was seen in the early 1980s sporting a fetching cricket outfit, complete with a decorative vegetable!
    Do you bowl over-handed?
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Do you bowl over-handed?
    I wouldn't know about that. But recently I've sported a fez, because fezes are cool...

Uh, perhaps you'd like a nice, sweet jelly baby soft candy?

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Who am I #391?

You answered your own question. WHO are you -- You are Who!

You, sir, are the Doctor.

Yes, and here is Peter Davison's version of The Doctor in his cricket outfit, complete with celery

Doctor+Who+Peter+Davison.jpg

Who am I 392:

You know, considering all I've done and accomplished through the decades, you might just want to go ahead and call me the Babe Ruth of what I do! Though in some strange way I've grown to wonder about connections with me and Gehrig, but that's a conversation for another time! And now there is a strange coincidence that I have going with Ruth. A finite, I presume anyway as of this posting, number of 714. His is home runs of course, can you guess mine? Oh and you must say my given name for full credit!

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #393

I started over 200 games in my career. Pitched 2 shut-outs in those starts ... which is a total number that matches something else I've done that no other pitcher has done over time. Kind of an odd record to hold and has something to do with giving-up walk-off home runs.

It's kind of rare when a game goes 15 innings or more and ends on a walk-off home run. Well ... I've given-up 2 walk-off home runs that have ended some of those long games - one happening in each league. Funny that both happened against teams I had pitched for in the previous year.

One of the walk-offs ended an especially long contest. I believe only 11 regular season games have ended on a home run in the 18th inning or beyond ... and one of those games ended on a pitch I threw. Of these long games, mine came in the league that has given-up the most in 18 - 18+ inning games.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 11-12-11 at 08:18 PM.

Who am I 392:

You know, considering all I've done and accomplished through the decades, you might just want to go ahead and call me the Babe Ruth of what I do! Though in some strange way I've grown to wonder about connections with me and Gehrig, but that's a conversation for another time! And now there is a strange coincidence that I have going with Ruth. A finite, I presume anyway as of this posting, number of 714. His is home runs of course, can you guess mine? Oh and you must say my given name for full credit!
    No one? *sigh*

Superman-714_Cover-2.jpg
    The 714th and final issue of the first volume of Superman (1939-1986)/Adventures of Superman (1986-2006)/Superman (2006-2011), released in August, as the title got relaunched with a brand new #1 in September.

superman-1-cover.jpg

Of course Superman's Kryptonain birth name is Kal-El.

NYYF Legend

No one? *sigh*

Attachment 20506
    The 714th and final issue of the first volume of Superman (1939-1986)/Adventures of Superman (1986-2006)/Superman (2006-2011), released in August, as the title got relaunched with a brand new #1 in September.

Attachment 20507

Of course Superman's Kryptonain birth name is Kal-El.
    No way I coulda got this. Where was Yankee Tripper? Tripper could of done it!

Who am I? #393

I started over 200 games in my career. Pitched 2 shut-outs in those starts ... which is a total number that matches something else I've done that no other pitcher has done over time. Kind of an odd record to hold and has something to do with giving-up walk-off home runs.

It's kind of rare when a game goes 15 innings or more and ends on a walk-off home run. Well ... I've given-up 2 walk-off home runs that have ended some of those long games - one happening in each league. Funny that both happened against teams I had pitched for in the previous year.

One of the walk-offs ended an especially long contest. I believe only 11 regular season games have ended on a home run in the 18th inning or beyond ... and one of those games ended on a pitch I threw. Of these long games, mine came in the league that has given-up the most in 18 - 18+ inning games.

Who am I?
    You are Jeff Fassero!

As a Boston Red Sock, you allowed a game-ending 19th-inning solo blast to Mike Cameron, breaking a 4-4 tie on August 1st, 2000. As a St. Louis Cardinal, you allowed a game-ending
    15th-inning two-run shot to Sammy Sosa, breaking a 2-2 tie in the first game of a September 2nd, 2003 doubleheader. (You'd let up another home run the following day.)

You also allowed one other extra-inning walkoff when you were a Chicago Cub, this time to Pittsburgh's Jason Kendall. This might've been the worst of them all, however; the Cubs were ahead 3-2 at the time, but Kendall's two-run shot put them over the mark for a 4-3 final score.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by groovitude View Post
    You are Jeff Fassero!

As a Boston Red Sock, you allowed a game-ending 19th-inning solo blast to Mike Cameron, breaking a 4-4 tie on August 1st, 2000. As a St. Louis Cardinal, you allowed a game-ending
    15th-inning two-run shot to Sammy Sosa, breaking a 2-2 tie in the first game of a September 2nd, 2003 doubleheader. (You'd let up another home run the following day.)

You also allowed one other extra-inning walkoff when you were a Chicago Cub, this time to Pittsburgh's Jason Kendall. This might've been the worst of them all, however; the Cubs were ahead 3-2 at the time, but Kendall's two-run shot put them over the mark for a 4-3 final score.

Way to go ... groovitude!

A very nice job.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #394

If you check back into my pitching history it'll show that I never gave-up a single home run in over 200 innings pitched in three seasons of baseball. In all honesty, I actually served-up one big blow in a season - a ball that was swatted with a big 52-ounce bat that knocked the ball well into the grandstand on the fly. Because of the times the existing rule saved me .15 on my ERA at the end of the season.

That fella that hit that winning blow against me was no stranger to the home run. If it had counted as one of those walk-off types as they call them today it would of been the second of his career ... but nope, he finished his career with only one walk-off home run to his credit. Having one in his career probably wouldn't matter a hoot to him anyways because he had proved himself with home runs plenty enough at other times, and in the end, the one walk-off home run was a rosebud enough, and he went to his grave a happy former baseball player.

Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #394

If you check back into my pitching history it'll show that I never gave-up a single home run in over 200 innings pitched in three seasons of baseball. In all honesty, I actually served-up one big blow in a season - a ball that was swatted with a big 52-ounce bat that knocked the ball well into the grandstand on the fly. Because of the times the existing rule saved me .15 on my ERA at the end of the season.

That fella that hit that winning blow against me was no stranger to the home run. If it had counted as one of those walk-off types as they call them today it would of been the second of his career ... but nope, he finished his career with only one walk-off home run to his credit. Having one in his career probably wouldn't matter a hoot to him anyways because he had proved himself with home runs plenty enough at other times, and in the end, the one walk-off home run was a rosebud enough, and he went to his grave a happy former baseball player.

Who am I?
    There is a modest all-time major-league record I share with another pitcher. It involves my career win total without ever allowing a home run. The other pitcher and I each won 9 games in our careers.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 12-13-11 at 10:56 PM.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #394

Who am I?
    There is a modest all-time major-league record I share with another pitcher. It involves my career win total without ever allowing a home run. The other pitcher and I each won 9 games in our careers.

More info? I threw 2 shutouts in my rookie season.

NYYF Legend

Who am I? #395

I am the player that was mentioned above as being no stranger to the home run. That could be because I won some home run titles. I also won some RBI titles ... but also as mentioned, I guess you could say I sort of lost out on three RBI's during one season. The reason for that happening was because before 1920 when a team won the game by scoring in the bottom of the last inning, the rules stated that they could not win by more than one run.

As home runs go, truth be known, I guess you could say there were some other times when I hit balls over the wall or fence in fair territory but ended up going foul before landing to be ruled fair, and home runs, rather than foul balls. Quite a few players lost home runs in that manner. The great Babe Ruth's first home run hit off "The Big Train," with two men on base and in a tie game, turned out to be no home run at all. He had hit a long liner over the fence that had a little tail to it when it wound down ... and it landed foul by no more that six inches in all, as told by Billy Evans.

Looking back on my baseball career as a whole, I was happy with what I had accomplished. During my playing days I had been lucky enough to experience some fond memories, both during each season and also in World Series play. The only thing I do regret a little is that most of my play happened well before the rabbit ball days had come around.

Long after my baseball career was over, things did end up on a happy note for me. When it did happen, I responded that it's better to get a rosebud while you're alive than a whole bouquet after you're dead. Wish the same thing could of happened for Ron Santo.

Who am I?

More info? I threw 2 shutouts in my rookie season.
    Sorry, the first hint should have been enough - though I couldn't get it from the initial post.

You are Rudy Kallio, who pitched for the Tigers in 1918-19, and for the Red Sox in 1925. Apart from the zero HR, your career numbers are pretty ugly: 9-17, 4.17 (when 4.17 was awful), more hits than IP and more walks than Ks.

You stayed employed, though. Outside of those two ML stints, you also pitched in Butte, Saskatoon, Las Cruces, Great Falls, San Francisco, Des Moines, Portland, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, and Seattle. Became a pretty reliable innings-eater in the PCL, if not exactly good.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Sorry, the first hint should have been enough - though I couldn't get it from the initial post.

You are Rudy Kallio, who pitched for the Tigers in 1918-19, and for the Red Sox in 1925. Apart from the zero HR, your career numbers are pretty ugly: 9-17, 4.17 (when 4.17 was awful), more hits than IP and more walks than Ks.

You stayed employed, though. Outside of those two ML stints, you also pitched in Butte, Saskatoon, Las Cruces, Great Falls, San Francisco, Des Moines, Portland, Salt Lake City, Sacramento, and Seattle. Became a pretty reliable innings-eater in the PCL, if not exactly good.

You are correct, JL25and3!

Rudy Kallio is the pitcher. When you add his major league innings to his minor league innings ... we're talkin' about nearly 5,100 innings pitched over the years!

Who am I? #395

I am the player that was mentioned above as being no stranger to the home run. That could be because I won some home run titles. I also won some RBI titles ... but also as mentioned, I guess you could say I sort of lost out on three RBI's during one season. The reason for that happening was because before 1920 when a team won the game by scoring in the bottom of the last inning, the rules stated that they could not win by more than one run.

As home runs go, truth be known, I guess you could say there were some other times when I hit balls over the wall or fence in fair territory but ended up going foul before landing to be ruled fair, and home runs, rather than foul balls. Quite a few players lost home runs in that manner. The great Babe Ruth's first home run hit off "The Big Train," with two men on base and in a tie game, turned out to be no home run at all. He had hit a long liner over the fence that had a little tail to it when it wound down ... and it landed foul by no more that six inches in all, as told by Billy Evans.

Looking back on my baseball career as a whole, I was happy with what I had accomplished. During my playing days I had been lucky enough to experience some fond memories, both during each season and also in World Series play. The only thing I do regret a little is that most of my play happened well before the rabbit ball days had come around.

Long after my baseball career was over, things did end up on a happy note for me. When it did happen, I responded that it's better to get a rosebud while you're alive than a whole bouquet after you're dead. Wish the same thing could of happened for Ron Santo.

Who am I?
    You are Home Run Baker! You won the home run title four times, the RBI title twice, and hit what would've (under current rules) a walk-off homerun against Rudy Kallio on July 18th, 1918.

NYYF Legend

You are Home Run Baker! You won the home run title four times, the RBI title twice, and hit what would've (under current rules) a walk-off homerun against Rudy Kallio on July 18th, 1918.

Did you first have a hunch the answer could be Home Run Baker after reading what the "Who am I? #394" had said?

Who am I? #394

Who am I?

I'm working out in Spring Training and as soon as I can find time to get my mind back, I'll be back up in the Bigs with the rest of you guys!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and God bless!
    “The only real game, I think, in the world is baseball.” - Babe Ruth

Did you first have a hunch the answer could be Home Run Baker after reading what the "Who am I? #394" had said?
    No, actually; I hadn't known Baker's bat weight or his "rosebud" quote until after I solved it. What did help me out was Kallio being named as #394; once I saw what years he was in the bigs and what teams, it was pretty easy to narrow down when the non-HR on Retrosheet's list.

NYYF Legend

No, actually; I hadn't known Baker's bat weight or his "rosebud" quote until after I solved it. What did help me out was Kallio being named as #394; once I saw what years he was in the bigs and what teams, it was pretty easy to narrow down when the non-HR on Retrosheet's list.

Do you also use Baseball-Reference.com?

Do you also use Baseball-Reference.com?
    Yes, I do; though I'm not sure if they have a non-HR list anywhere.

Thread Information