+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Re: Who am I?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sox Kid
    I love these! This one is tough, I know the awnser but... I want someone else to have a chance... Lets see how long it takes.

George Frazier
    Whats with the GEORGE FRAZIER in white text?? I looked this guy up and he does not seem to fit your hints..

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    ANOTHER WHO AM I? #3

I've accomplished some firsts a few times in my career that I'm proud of. I'm a leader in a very major category as one of the firsts ... something that IncredibleByNature and her brother would be happy about. The other first happened on the birthday day of one year for all these baseball fans ... (yanks24, Yanks21, long-time-yank-fan , The Pope, JWB, CecilioGuante, bigguygonz, j silky, Jaeho, Liyanksfan2003) ... by the way.

I've played 3rd base primarily and have played with 5 different teams along the way. Thinking back, I think I've only played as a DH maybe two games in my 16-year long Major League career. Well... maybe more in Inter-league play ... I just don't remember.

Who am I? Also... name my firsts.
    THEBOSS84 got it right when he said Vinnie Castilla.

That does make Sept 24th special for me.

About Vinnie. That's not the big first I had in mind for the date. He accomplished many other firsts for the Nationals at their home field ... and yours is one of them. He had the first rbi there. He had the first double there. He also had the first triple there. He went 3 for 3 and was just a single short for hitting for the cycle. So what's left?

The other first is a big one. Pride involved. I would be too if I were him.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    By default I would have to guess he hit the first Homer there!?!
    Again THEBOSS84 was right about it being the first home run for the Nationals at home. The remaining unanswered question has to do with career home runs. Vinnie was the first one to reach a leading total and still remains the first one to reach a leading total every time he hits another one.
    Thus ... when I said "Pride" is involved ... I really meant it about the man. What then is it that Vinnie would take pride in doing and why is he proud?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:53 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Whats with the GEORGE FRAZIER in white text?? I looked this guy up and he does not seem to fit your hints..
    All I did was quote him and submit. I didn't look at it. I just went to the other post I just made. Guess what! George Frazier is the answer! Hot Damn!
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-26-10 at 04:03 AM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

NYYF Legend

THEBOSS84 got it right when he said Vinnie Castilla.

Again THEBOSS84 was right about it being the first home run for the Nationals at home. The remaining unanswered question has to do with career home runs. Vinnie was the first one to reach a leading total and still remains the first one to reach a leading total every time he hits another one.
    Thus ... when I said "Pride" is involved ... I really meant it about the man. What then is it that Vinnie would take pride in doing and why is he proud?
    Most hr's ever hit by a Mexican born player?

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #9

Would you want a pitcher if he could give you a 3.25 era when appearing in 47 games a season? Striking out batters at nearly a two to one rate and giving up fewer hits vs innings pitched, lets say about 8 hits for every 9 innings pitched - and able to give you two innings of relief consistently from the right side? I may give up an occasional home run at times, say one for every 20 innings pitched. Would you want me if I were a free agent today and 29 years in age?

The Big Apple has no joy left. I could name 3 reasons for it. Eighteen years total and fifteen of those because of me ... I continued it before the multitude and because so, there is no joy left on Broadway. Ah fate! Ah destiny!

Who am I? 429

I'll break Frazier down here.

Would you want a pitcher if he could give you a 3.25 era when appearing in 47 games a season? Striking out batters at nearly a two to one rate and giving up fewer hits vs innings pitched, lets say about 8 hits for every 9 innings pitched - and able to give you two innings of relief consistently from the right side? I may give up an occasional home run at times, say one for every 20 innings pitched. Would you want me if I were a free agent today and 29 years in age?
    He played for the Yankees 3 seasons. His ERA is what it was as a Yankee. The other numbers would be the average there about of each season broken down. 47 games played / near two innings a game average when pitched / about two K for ever BB / 4 home runs per season gave up /

He was 29 when he left the Yankees.

The question to you is if this person hadn't played for the Yankees before ... and what if this guy was a free agent right now and could give you that kind of numbers on a team for you when pitching and he is now available at 29 years of age? Would you want to pick him up as a free agent?

Another Who am I? #9

The Big Apple has no joy left. I could name 3 reasons for it. Eighteen years total and fifteen of those because of me ... I continued it before the multitude and because so, there is no joy left on Broadway. Ah fate! Ah destiny!

Who am I? 429
    The Big Apple has no joy left. (My meaning is) There was no joy in Yankee land for a big reason.

I could name 3 reasons for it. (My meaning is) The poor guy is upset over losing three games for the Yankees in the 1981 World Series.

Eighteen years total and fifteen of those because of me ... (My meaning is) Yankees won the World Series in 1978. The next time they would win would be in 1996 - eighteen years later. Fifteen more years came and went after Frazier lost those 3 games in the 1981 World Series.

... I continued it before the multitude and because so, there is no joy left on Broadway. Ah fate! Ah destiny! (My meaning is)
    Thusly, Frazier is looking at himself as being at fault for the next 15 years of Yankee fan sadness. He did it before Yankee fans everywhere ... before the multitude ... those at the ballparks when the games were played and the ones watching on television around the world ... there is no joy left on Broadway ... especially for those Yankee fans in New York City. Ah fate! Ah destiny!. Frazier thinks that is all that Yankee fans will only remember him for when looking back at him in Yankee history.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:54 PM.

NYYF Legend

Most hr's ever hit by a Mexican born player?
    You got it BOSS! National Pride.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Sox Kid
    I love these! This one is tough, I know the awnser but... I want someone else to have a chance... Lets see how long it takes.

George Frazier
    "Mr 2654"... you are one crafty Sox Kid!

NYYF Legend

You got it BOSS! National Pride.
    Thanks Dave...keep em coming!!

Released Outright

Wow! Lots of fun. Great job guys.

I just wanted to prove I wasn't just yanking your chain when I said I knew who it was... So I just decided to hide the awnser. Cmon, Dave, keep all these up... Gives me something to do

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #10

I played with two of the DiMaggio brothers when I played. An Apollo astronaut and I share this same surname ... but I was done playing ball at the time when he circled the earth, splashed down in the ocean, then gone and went lost his space capsule.

I played with the Red Sox. I played 4 seasons with the Yankees and played briefly in one World Series game. Now about my Yankee play. I had a Yankee career OBP good enough for 4th on the all-time list. As for fielding, I had a Yankee career .992 Fielding Average which is 2nd all-time in my position.

When you think of Yankee players that didn't strike out as nearly as much as being walked, then, you would probably think about Joe DiMaggio as one of the greatest. In 13 seasons as a Yankee, that man only struck out 369 times while taking a walk 790 times. Do the math. For those 1,159 plate appearances he walked 68.2% of the time. Another star from the Cardinals did even better. Stan Musial walked 69.7% of the time! Both those guys are in the Hall of Fame. Looking at even another HOF player, Mickey Mantle. He walked 50.3% of those plate appearances. Would you believe I did better with the Yankees? In those walk to strikeout plate appearances my percentage was 75.2%!

All above is true. Only problem is I didn't play in 500 games for the Yankees to qualify for all-time Yankee records. I played almost a third of that total.

One last clue. I have the same birthday as an important member here at the NYYFans forum. Same date but a different year of course. It isn't the same date as "The Sultan of Smack" or hardrain ... but it is the same date as "The Inn Keeper" though.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-26-10 at 04:02 AM.

NYYF Legend

I hope more people will participate with one of their own ... Who am I ?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-26-10 at 04:03 AM.

Another Who am I? #10

I played with two of the DiMaggio brothers when I played. An Apollo astronaut and I share this same surname ... but I was done playing ball at the time when he circled the earth, splashed down in the ocean, then gone and went lost his space capsule.

I played with the Red Sox. I played 4 seasons with the Yankees and played briefly in one World Series game. Now about my Yankee play. I had a Yankee career OBP good enough for 4th on the all-time list. As for fielding, I had a Yankee career .992 Fielding Average which is 2nd all-time in my position.

When you think of Yankee players that didn't strike out as nearly as much as being walked, then, you would probably think about Joe DiMaggio as one of the greatest. In 13 seasons as a Yankee, that man only struck out 369 times while taking a walk 790 times. Do the math. For those 1,159 plate appearances he walked 68.2% of the time. Another star from the Cardinals did even better. Stan Musial walked 69.7% of the time! Both those guys are in the Hall of Fame. Looking at even another HOF player, Mickey Mantle. He walked 50.3% of those plate appearances. Would you believe I did better with the Yankees? In those walk to strikeout plate appearances my percentage was 75.2%!

All above is true. Only problem is I didn't play in 500 games for the Yankees to qualify for all-time Yankee records. I played almost a third of that total.

One last clue. I have the same birthday as an important member here at the NYYFans forum. Same date but a different year of course. It isn't the same date as "The Sultan of Smack" or hardrain ... but it is the same date as "The Inn Keeper" though.

Who am I?
    Gus Niarhos?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apolansk
    Gus Niarhos?

Well I'll be!

Tulane ... your answer is finer than frog hair for sure! All I can say to you is way to go man!

Can you tell us just what it was that gave away the answer to you?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 01-26-10 at 04:01 AM.

Well I'll be!

Tulane ... your answer is finer than frog hair for sure! All I can say to you is way to go man!

Can you tell us just what it was that gave away the answer to you?
    Finding the birthday out, and seeing who played with both Dimaggios. Gotta love baseball-reference.com

NYYF Legend

Finding the birthday out, and seeing who played with both Dimaggios. Gotta love baseball-reference.com
    baseballreference.com is great for these who am I's

Gus Niarhos?
    What was the name of the Apollo Astronaut with the same surname as Gus Niarhos?
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    That confused me also I did it purely on birthday and playing for the two teams. I couldn't find an astronaut with the surname Niarhos

That confused me also I did it purely on birthday and playing for the two teams. I couldn't find an astronaut with the surname Niarhos
    I'm still baffled.
    Pardon, for us.

I'm still baffled.
    The only thing I can think of is maybe someone had the surname of Gus' actual first name which is Gregory, but none of them are named Gregory, although one interestingly enough is Mattingly.

NYYF Legend

Wasn't it Fred "Gus" Ward?

Virgil "Gus" Grissom Jr. FTR though, surname is the last name whereas Gus there would be alias or nickname.

Virgil "Gus" Grissom Jr. FTR though, surname is the last name whereas Gus there would be alias or nickname.
    So Dave sent me on a wild goose chase.

Nice.
    Pardon, for us.

Released Outright

That is what had me on my own wild goose chase with this one. Afterwards, I found out this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=surname
    sur·name ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sūrnm)
    n.
    A name shared in common to identify the members of a family, as distinguished from each member's given name. Also called family name, last name.
    A nickname or epithet added to a person's name.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    That is what had me on my own wild goose chase with this one. Afterwards, I found out this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=surname
    I'm sorry. What do I know. I never went to calledge.

Thread Information