+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Who am I?

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: Who am I?

Another Who am I? #7

I was there when both a "Comet" and a "Cartoon Bear" were rung up on the same day ... and a "Campy" and "Duke" were both done fairly the same ... but all four ended up anyway in the Hall of Fame. Things then went on to end up nice for most here some might say ... when another HOF guy called "Pee Wee" lofted a fly ball to "Gene"... to end all years play.

Unlike Ted Williams ... I still have my head ... which now lays in Goshen ... and that's plenty enough said.

Who am I?

fifty-two-ninety-two
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:04 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Visbeck
    Another Who am I? #7

I was there when both a "Comet" and a "Cartoon Bear" were rung up on the same day ... and a "Campy" and "Duke" were both done fairly the same ... but all four ended up anyway in the Hall of Fame. Things then went on to end up nice for most here some might say ... when another HOF guy called "Pee Wee" lofted a fly ball to "Gene"... to end all years play.

Unlike Ted Williams ... I still have my head ... which now lays in Goshen ... and that's plenty enough said.

Who am I?

fifty-two-ninety-two

This last one isn't necessarily about a player... but someone else involved in the game.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:05 PM.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #8

I was the first manager to win a pennant in both leagues. I managed the Red Sox but that didn't do me any good.

Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:06 PM.

Dick Williams

Another Who am I? #8

I was the first manager to win a pennant in both leagues. I managed the Red Sox but that didn't do me any good.

Who am I?
    This one is a head scratcher... am I Joe McCarthy?

This last one isn't necessarily about a player... but someone else involved in the game.
    Is this person a manager or a umpire?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 26xwc
    Dick Williams
    He did win a Pennant in both leagues. Nice answer ... but not right I'm afraid. Actually he did pretty well with the Red Sox all considered. He took a Red Sox team all the way to a seventh game in the World Series only to lose against a terrific St Louis Cardinal team that included the likes of 4 future HOF players, a future HOF manager, and a guy named Roger Maris who had left his mark against a Red Sox pitcher back in 1961. Three games were started by Bob Gibson alone and another game saw Steve Carlton start.

Dick Williams had taken the Red Sox over as manager in 1967 ... a Sox team that had had a ninth place finish the year before. The only team they ended up ahead of in the American League was the Yankees in 1966!
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:06 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Sox Kid
    This one is a head scratcher... am I Joe McCarthy?
    You are correct Sox Kid! Very good.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:07 PM.

NYYF Legend

Is this person a manager or a umpire?
    A hint. You make the call!

Kinda like what I'm doing here.
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:40 PM.

This ones a toughy... Would I happen to be Larry Goetz, umpire of the 1952 Yankee World Series victory?

Released Outright

I cannot figure out the Goshen reference but I'll still take a stab. Red Barber?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    I cannot figure out the Goshen reference but I'll still take a stab. Red Barber?
    The Goshen reference is where the umpire I'm talking about now rests his head ... ... for eternity on earth. Goshen Ohio. Red Barber was a nice guess though.

Red was for sure broadcasting while ‘sitting in the catbird seat’ when he made the 6th inning call of 20-year-old Mickey Mantle's home run ( Mickey's 2nd home run of the World Series) off rookie Dodger pitcher Joe Black.
    The home run was hit in the seventh game of the 1952 World Series being played at Ebbits Field. The Yankees won the contest 4-2. The 52' World Series Championship was the team's fourth in a row and fifteenth overall. All this happened ...
    Love my Red Sox Fan

NYYF Legend

WOOPS... I'm gonna ring your neck Jenn ...

The Goshen reference is where the umpire I'm talking about now rests his head ... for eternity on earth. Goshen Ohio. Red Barber was a nice guess though.

Red was for sure broadcasting while ‘sitting in the catbird seat’ when he made the 6th inning call of 20-year-old Mickey Mantle's home run ( Mickey's 2nd home run of the World Series) off rookie Dodger pitcher Joe Black.
    The home run was hit in the seventh game of the 1952 World Series being played at Ebbits Field. The Yankees won the contest 4-2. The 52' World Series Championship was the team's fourth in a row and fifteenth overall. All this happened ...
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:09 PM.

NYYF Legend

This ones a toughy... Would I happen to be Larry Goetz, umpire of the 1952 Yankee World Series victory?

WOOPS... I'm gonna ring your neck Jenn ...

The Goshen reference is where the umpire I'm talking about now rests his head ... for eternity on earth. Goshen Ohio. Red Barber was a nice guess though.

... right before the eyes of home plate umpire Larry Goetz.

A good job done once again to "The Sox Kid"!

I you.

Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:10 PM.

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #8

I was born in Northern California when there was no playoffs in baseball - unless there was a tiebreaker to see who wins. If you had the best record in your league, you went to the World Series.

I have some things to say that could compare me with Mickey Mantle. [/b][b]We've both been Yankees. If we were playing together though, I wouldn't be looking up to him. Mantle went yard 536 times in his career. I frown when I say this, but I've seen homers go out at about the mid 300 range. I've won a World Series MVP and Mickey hasn't ... but he won the MVP 3 times during regular season play. I am no slouch at getting a major award though ... I won a real major one five times.

Mickey had 16 all-star game seasons in his career, while I've had 10. We have both played 18 seasons. We've both fielded 1.000 in a season. Mantle on defense was involved in 28 double plays at his primary fielding position in the outfield. In his best season while out there he had 20 assists with 5 double plays. My best season saw me have 29 assists with 2 double plays.

The most errors Mickey had in the outfield in one season was 12. My worst season saw me get 8 errors at my position. Mickey hit his last career home run at Boston in 1968 when he was 36 years + 11 months old. I hit my last home run when I was 40 years +9 days in a game at Milwaukee. An interesting thing is that Mickey hit his next to last home run of his career the day before - on September 19th in Detroit. It was number 535. The last homer I hit in may career was on September 19th also.

Also! In those "last" home run seasons for each of us, both of our teams nearly had an identical record. Who am I?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-15-10 at 11:12 PM.

Released Outright

Another Who am I? #8

This one was tricky, Dave. You are getting more and more devious with you phraseology but after picking apart every word, I will guess that you are talking about............Randy Johnson?

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #8

This one was tricky, Dave. You are getting more and more devious with you phraseology but after picking apart every word, I will guess that you are talking about............Randy Johnson?
    ... ...

Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:42 PM.

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #9

Would you want a pitcher if he could give you a 3.25 era when appearing in 47 games a season? Striking out batters at nearly a two to one rate and giving up fewer hits vs innings pitched, lets say about 8 hits for every 9 innings pitched - and able to give you two innings of relief consistently from the right side? I may give up an occasional home run at times, say one for every 20 innings pitched. Would you want me if I were a free agent today and 29 years in age?

The Big Apple has no joy left. I could name 3 reasons for it. Eighteen years total and fifteen of those because of me ... I continued it before the multitude and because so, there is no joy left on Broadway. Ah fate! Ah destiny!

Who am I? 429
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:45 PM.

I love these! This one is tough, I know the awnser but... I want someone else to have a chance... Lets see how long it takes.

George Frazier

NYYF Legend

I hope some people are having a little fun with these. Others can help add to the collection ... just in case you decide to Sox Kid. So you know? If no one answers in the next day, let us know who you think it is.

Just realized this was my Ted Williams post. In honor of my all-time Red Sox favorite player ... official post number 2654 - the exact number of hits in his career. Too bad that from my two thousand, six-hundred fifty-four posts I've had maybe 3 hits though.

I'm glad another Red Sox fan was a part of it ... The Sox Kid. You better be right with your answer now!
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:47 PM.

Released Outright

I got nothin'.

NYYF Legend

Another Who am I? #9

Would you want a pitcher if he could give you a 3.25 era when appearing in 47 games a season? Striking out batters at nearly a two to one rate and giving up fewer hits vs innings pitched, lets say about 8 hits for every 9 innings pitched - and able to give you two innings of relief consistently from the right side? I may give up an occasional home run at times, say one for every 20 innings pitched. Would you want me if I were a free agent today and 29 years in age?

The Big Apple has no joy left. I could name 3 reasons for it. Eighteen years total and fifteen of those because of me ... I continued it before the multitude and because so, there is no joy left on Broadway. Ah fate! Ah destiny!

Who am I? 429
    Please let us have the answer, I'm completely stumped

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    Please let us have the answer, I'm completely stumped
    Ah, so it is not just me! OK, Sox Kid, show us up!

NYYF Legend

Ah, so it is not just me! OK, Sox Kid, show us up!
    I realized that next to where it says "who am I" it says 429 in white font...this might be a hint..

NYYF Legend

I love these! This one is tough, I know the awnser but... I want someone else to have a chance... Lets see how long it takes.

George Frazier

People are ready to give up now it seems? Wanna please let us know who you think it is Sox Kid?
    Last edited by Dave Visbeck; 03-20-10 at 12:47 PM.

Thread Information