+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Just Flanders being Flanders. Stupid Flanders's Avatar

Should the Yankees consider Paul Konerko?

Pros:

• Under 30
    • Consistantly good OPS (2003 blip notwithstanding)
    • Consecutive 40 HR seasons
    • Right-handed
    • Grew up diehard Yankee fan. Worshipped Mattingly.
    Cons:
    • Right handed (yes a pro and a con. Yanks could use a RH Power bat, but YS can be a tough place to play)
    • Expensive.
    • Primarily would DH
    Here's to you, Mr. Robinson. Jesus loves you more than you Cano.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Springfield Nuclear Power Plant
    World's Greatest Yankee Blog

Re: Should the Yankees consider Paul Konerko?

In a sense...signing him would be the kind of move signing Beltran would have been last year. Beltran's real value would not have shown itself this season but as a long term replacement for Bernie Williams. Similarly although he plays a different position, his right handed power and RBI potential make Konerko a long term replacement in the batting order, though not in the field, for Gary Sheffield. So yes they sould consider it.

he's good, but why?

NYYF Legend

I don't think they will consider spending $30+ million dollars on a 1B/DH tandem of Konerko and Giambi.

Regroup - Reload - Revenge! 23and2's Avatar

If we could move Giambi, then yes. The problem is, we've got a potential logjam at DH and need that slot to occasionally rest an older Sheff and stubborn Matsui (consecutive game streak). If the White Sox had lost the WS, the idea might carry more merit - but as things worked out, I can't see Konerko going to another team.
    [U]Thanks, Frank [/U]
    "We'll try to take that extra million-one and spend it wisely in the free-agent market," - Brian Cashman after trading away Womack - 12/08/05

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

No. Sheff should be the DH next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

Released Outright

Yeah, yeah, let's go get Konerko! All we would have to do is move Jeter to CF, ARod to SS, and Konerko to 3B.. Screw middle relief and a CF, we can slug our way to a WS.

Quote Originally Posted by nydeano
    Yeah, yeah, let's go get Konerko! All we would have to do is move Jeter to CF, ARod to SS, and Konerko to 3B.. Screw middle relief and a CF, we can slug our way to a WS.
    No we can't.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    No we can't.
    In a perfect world a team can slug its way to the WS.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghYankeeFan
    he's good, but why?
    Because if he doesn't stay with Chicago, which would be our first choice, he would go to either Boston or Anaheim... Not saying that that is a good enough reason, but it should be considered. If Manny stays in Boston, I don't see this happening, but if Manny is moved, the Red Sox will be all over Paulie.

Godzilla Rules

No. So now we want another teams best hitter. We took Giambi from the A's. Got Matsui from the Giants of Japan. Got Sheff from the 2003 Braves and picked up Arod from the Rangers. What do we have to show for it beside some new jerseys in our closets?
    "If you are falling off a cliff, you might as well try to fly"....JS

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Steve
    Because if he doesn't stay with Chicago, which would be our first choice, he would go to either Boston or Anaheim... Not saying that that is a good enough reason, but it should be considered. If Manny stays in Boston, I don't see this happening, but if Manny is moved, the Red Sox will be all over Paulie.
    totally agree and i think it will happen!
    A-ROD 2005 AL MVP

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SINCE77 2
    No. So now we want another teams best hitter. We took Giambi from the A's. Got Matsui from the Giants of Japan. Got Sheff from the 2003 Braves and picked up Arod from the Rangers. What do we have to show for it beside some new jerseys in our closets?
    The second best offense in the league?

Released Outright

I don't think Boston is on HIS list, but the Sox would love to have him. My bet is he flirts with LAA, but remains with CWS.

The problem is not Konerko himself but that he does not address a need.
    He is going to cost some good cash and we need to spend it elsewhere. Konerko plays first base, and Giambi is not a great fielder but is certainly still a very productive hitter. Is he going to win an MVP again? Not likely, but Giambi is not a weakness. He led the majors in OBP and take away his first couple of months and he was among the majors best run producers. Healthy this year and a full spring training and you'll likely see Jason as a middle of the order force. His contract also makes him untradeable. As for him winding up with Boston, the only way that happens is if they lose Manny or deal him and save a lot of cash. And to be honest, no disrespect to Konerko, he is not Manny. If the Sox lose Manny's bat and replace it with Paul's, I fear them less, not more, offensively.
    I am not saying Jason is the best hitter in the league, but this year, does anyone think .300, .400 OBP, and 30-35 bombs and 100 RBI is unrealistic after last year?? I don't. And guys, those are not bad numbers!!
    I bet he comes close to what Konerko would do offensively..

So no, I don't think they should consider him, and that is not dig at Paulie who I do like as a player, but unless he can play CF with that bat or also come out of the bullpen in the 8th and shut a lineup dpwn, he is not what we need..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76
    The problem is not Konerko himself but that he does not address a need.
    He is going to cost some good cash and we need to spend it elsewhere. Konerko plays first base, and Giambi is not a great fielder but is certainly still a very productive hitter. Is he going to win an MVP again? Not likely, but Giambi is not a weakness. He led the majors in OBP and take away his first couple of months and he was among the majors best run producers. Healthy this year and a full spring training and you'll likely see Jason as a middle of the order force. His contract also makes him untradeable. As for him winding up with Boston, the only way that happens is if they lose Manny or deal him and save a lot of cash. And to be honest, no disrespect to Konerko, he is not Manny. If the Sox lose Manny's bat and replace it with Paul's, I fear them less, not more, offensively.
    I am not saying Jason is the best hitter in the league, but this year, does anyone think .300, .400 OBP, and 30-35 bombs and 100 RBI is unrealistic after last year?? I don't. And guys, those are not bad numbers!!
    I bet he comes close to what Konerko would do offensively..

So no, I don't think they should consider him, and that is not dig at Paulie who I do like as a player, but unless he can play CF with that bat or also come out of the bullpen in the 8th and shut a lineup dpwn, he is not what we need..
    How about I put it this way: there's a lot of money coming off the books, and Konerko will cost less than Kevin Brown or Bernie Williams did this year

You're one of those people who think the Yankees lost because they have "too many all-stars" I bet

Regroup - Reload - Revenge! 23and2's Avatar

DH and 1B is not where we're really flexible. We're strongest if we focus on CF and RF (Sheff to DH), and of course the bullpen.
    [U]Thanks, Frank [/U]
    "We'll try to take that extra million-one and spend it wisely in the free-agent market," - Brian Cashman after trading away Womack - 12/08/05

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Flanders
    How about I put it this way: there's a lot of money coming off the books, and Konerko will cost less than Kevin Brown or Bernie Williams did this year
    Fine, but just because we are saving money that was not put to good use last year does not mean we should not try to put that newly saved money to good use this year.
    BJ Ryan, Johnny Damon, Billy Wagner and Brian Giles. Pick three of those guys and they all combined to cost less than Bernie and Brown cost last year.. It is not Konerko versus Brown and Bernie.
    It is Konerko versus Damon/Giles and Ryan/Wagner. (or insert CF/bullepen of choice here)

NYYF Cy Young

I don't think Boston is on HIS list, but the Sox would love to have him. My bet is he flirts with LAA, but remains with CWS.
    I second that. He's specifically stated (read it on FoxSports.com) that he has no interest in the Red Sox whatsoever.

If he was interested in the Red Sox...that would definitely be the only way I would say that it's cool for the Yanks to pursue Konerko. Just to drive the price WAY up for the Red Sox. And that's about the only time I'd say the Yanks should pursue Konerko.

I like Konerko...but there really isn't a spot for him on the Yanks.

I like the guy, particularly because he is from my home town. But we have to many of him on the team already: Power guys who lack defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    Who in their right mind would pay several thousand bucks to have some chick poop on their face like a beard?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gold23
    I like Konerko...but there really isn't a spot for him on the Yanks.
    I agree.

Released Outright KevinBaseball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SINCE77 2
    A very explosive offense.

Do you think we should try to trade for other teams worst hitters?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KevinBaseball
    A very explosive offense.

Do you think we should try to trade for other teams worst hitters?
    Bad players win championships?

Thread Information