+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

Re: The Potential of Robinson Cano

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    The Yankees would be absolute idiots to trade Cano.
    I agree. However, I'm a little concerned about his baseball IQ.

Addicted Member

I think Cano is an absolute godsend for us at 2nd base. How soon we forget the misery that was better known as.......errrrr......Tony Womack. Granted Cano has his shortcomings, but in all fairness.....he was a rookie. I think he did remarkably taking that into consideration. In comparison, Womack couldn't do ****!

I really don't care how well he plays. For me it's enough that he has a super cool name.
    Pardon, for us.

Very good thread. I think he will be an all-star within the next 3 years.

NYYF Legend

I don't know if anyone has commented on this yet, but this thread title is amazing.

It sounds like a really serious drama-type movie, like "The Madness of Edward Scott" or something. Its pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    I think his power will improve a bit more next year, and his BB rate will go up. As mentioned, he started taking more pitches later in the year, esp. during the ALDS.

EDIT: Save for the errors, he's a good defender too. +9 UZR at the season's halfway point. He needs to learn to stay focused so th errors will go down. If we get Piniella, that will help tons.
    I agree. His errors seemed to be when he lost focus or mental errors. It will be corrected. I'm looking forward to watching him in 06.

NYYF Legend

he needs to learn how to walk more.. his improving OBP from month to month in 2005 was merely a result of increasing number of hits
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24
    he needs to learn how to walk more.. his improving OBP from month to month in 2005 was merely a result of increasing number of hits
    While the hits did help his OBP, a few posts up showed he began to take more pitches.

Yankee Fan since May 9,1962 jimmyclark's Avatar

The similiarity scores on Baseball-reference.com have the following matches to Cano
    Fred Dunlap (1880s player. good 12 year career)
    Tony Lazzeri ("Poosh 'em up" is a HOF)
    Jim Viox (no relation to medicine. lasted a few years in 1910s)
    Erve Beck (short career in 1900s)
    Dots Miller (1910s player, good 12 year career)
    Ron Hunt (1960s player..famous for being HBP)
    Jim Tabor (1940s player. was fell off suddenly after WWII)
    Paul Molitor (1980s-90s HOF. overcame 11 trips on DL and cocaine)
    Billy Herman (HOF. probably shouldn't be was very good player)
    Travis Fryman (1990s good player)

It is a pretty good list to be compared to. Rod Carew is not mentioned although Torre uses him because they have similiar swings. I don't know if Viox and Tabor had injuries that ended their careers or not.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

I have his jersey, I hope they keep him...But Cano seems solid...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by keithf1
    While the hits did help his OBP, a few posts up showed he began to take more pitches.
    taking more pitches is only useful if doing so will eventually lead to a higher walk rate
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Forum Regular

I think Cano has got great potential. Therefor I wouldn't be amazed if he'll get to be an All Star within a few years. The Yankees would indeed be idiots if they trade him.
    [img]http://forums.nyyfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14999[/img]
    [url=http://freeandjustice.blogspot.com.]Liberty and Justice[/url]

Backup Utility Outfielder
    241 miles south of the stadium on google maps

taking more pitches is only useful if doing so will eventually lead to a higher walk rate
    Taking more pitches is useful if doing so will eventually lead to the bullpen as well.
    Andy Pettitte starts Game 2.

NYYF Legend

That is exactly what it leads to. You can't walk if you don't take at least four pitches....

I think that the ceiling on Cano is very high. He will develop as a ML hitter, and will certainly become more patient at the plate. I would hope that this season, he will have a slight trend upwards. I am sure that he will have his slumps, etc, but I expect him to grow immensely at the plate. He could be a bona fide superstar in a few years. (Not saying he definitely will, but he is just a baby)

His defense should improve well, as he learns to concentrate every play. Most of his errors were "rookie errors". Jeter said that he will improve, that most rookies make nervous, or distracted mistakes. That could even improve a ton this year, as he knows he is the every day guy.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27
    That is exactly what it leads to. You can't walk if you don't take at least four pitches....

I think that the ceiling on Cano is very high. He will develop as a ML hitter, and will certainly become more patient at the plate. I would hope that this season, he will have a slight trend upwards. I am sure that he will have his slumps, etc, but I expect him to grow immensely at the plate. He could be a bona fide superstar in a few years. (Not saying he definitely will, but he is just a baby)

His defense should improve well, as he learns to concentrate every play. Most of his errors were "rookie errors". Jeter said that he will improve, that most rookies make nervous, or distracted mistakes. That could even improve a ton this year, as he knows he is the every day guy.
    I didn't think he ever looked nervous to his credit. I think Torre was concerned that he cadillaced it a little in the field and seemed to be more concerned with style than substance. This is understandable for a rookie who is looking acrosss the infield at Arod. If he works as hard as Arod did to get that Stylish I'm sure his manager will be real happy.

NYYF MVP

Robinson Cano needs a "kyle farnsworth-esque" thread.

(i.e. "Robinson Cano drinks lava and poops glass sculptures.")

Quote Originally Posted by Tal Hawkins
    He definitely played well in the postseason, but it looked to me like he was still chasing some bad pitches...especially on those 2 strikeouts Monday night.
    Patience is rarely ever natural in a players plate approach. Rookies are unfamiliar with umps and the major league strike zone as well as opposing pitchers and when you add that to the fact that rookies are always trying to get base hits, the obp will reflect. It is something all rookies go through and I doubt is something we should worry about.

I think that by the time Cano is in his peak, he will undoubtedly be the league's best 2nd baseman both offensively and defensively. He has the ability to hit for power to all fields and good defensive instincts and ability. In a few years we may see Cano up around the 30 hr mark and a .300+ avg. Depending on his slot in the batting order, he could possibly drive in 100 runs as well. I'm ecstatic that we've gone through an offseason and he's still on our team and not traded for some big money guy who used to be an allstar.
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT]

So am I. He has a lot of talent and it's great that we didn't give that talent up for some older player. I'm so excited to see what kind of player he turns into.
    Last edited by shcabot; 01-06-06 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Mistake
    A Modern Day Murderers Row...sort of

Just no injuries please.
    A Modern Day Murderers Row...sort of

Just two words....LOOK OUT. This kid has the potential to be a great baseball player. For a young player like him playing on the biggest stage there is he did fantastic. It reminded me of Jeter when he first came to the yankees, it was like there was no pressure on them.
    But look out in the near future, he will be one of the biggest name in baseball. And like all players his defense will come to him.
    2006, The Year of the 27th Championship
    Damon,Jeter,A-Rod,Sheff,Giambi,Matsui,Posada,Williams, and Cano......This has to be the year

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Tal Hawkins
    Ditto. I'm really looking forward to watching Cano develop over the next few years into a great 2nd baseman...he's going to be solid for many years to come.

He definitely played well in the postseason, but it looked to me like he was still chasing some bad pitches...especially on those 2 strikeouts Monday night.
    Let's just hope that all of the fans who are "looking forward" to watching Cano develop and who "prefer homegrown talent to the instant gratification of free agents" will not crucify this kid the minute he struggles for a month. Those struggles are what make young players strong. Does anyone remember Jeter in May of '97? He couldn't buy a hit! Look what kind of player he is!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels07
    Cano must improve his defense and cut out the styling.If you want to remain a Yankee act like one.

Posada styles all the time, it drives me crazy but he's still here so I think that walk like a Yankee thing is overblown. As far as Cano's D, I think it's a concentration thing. He's got he ability to make the plays.
    Dem ol' grimy Jets...

This thread is like the Mars Rover lander. It was alive, then stopped transmitting for weeks, then came back to life.
    Let the kids play.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    This thread is like the Mars Rover lander. It was alive, then stopped transmitting for weeks, then came back to life.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

Yeah Cano's gonna be aiight.
    Words cannot describe how much I hate Derek Jeter and his legion of stupid ass fans.

Thread Information