+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

The Potential of Robinson Cano

Perhaps the best thing to happen to this team this year was the addition of Cano. At 22 years of age, he put up startling numbers: a .297 average (.320 OBP) and a .458 slugging ptc. He had 52 extra base hits, more than Jeter, Posada and Giambi. Although he made 17 errors, he also made some remarkable plays throughout the season, and finished 2nd in qualified second baseman in the A.L. in range factor (RF). He turns the DP well and has a great arm. To cap it off, he did a good job in the playoffs for a rookie, hitting .263 with a .421 SLG and 5 RBIs, and began to take some pitches that he was chasing during the regular season. He will probably never have the power and certainly not the speed of Soriano, but I think he's a smarter player and will not be handled easily by the top pitchers in playoff games the way Soriano was.

Which brings us to his future. I think he'll adjust a bit at the plate and be more selective, which will drive up his walk total and OBP. His fielding will improve as well as his power, and by the time he reaches his peak years 4 or 5 years from now he could be a top star in the league. Also, a good-hitting lefty second baseman is a rare commodity. What fun it would be to have someone like Cano appear on the team every year to watch mature from a 22 year-old kid into a solid major leaguer, similar to the way we watched Jeter grow here. Personally, it's much more fun than the instant gratification of a star free agent.
    Let the kids play.

Re: The Potential of Robinson Cano

I love having young players on the team. This guy and Wang made my year.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    Personally, it's much more fun than the instant gratification of a star free agent.
    Ditto. I'm really looking forward to watching Cano develop over the next few years into a great 2nd baseman...he's going to be solid for many years to come.

began to take some pitches that he was chasing during the regular season.
    He definitely played well in the postseason, but it looked to me like he was still chasing some bad pitches...especially on those 2 strikeouts Monday night.

NYYF Legend

I really like this kid a lot. Hopefully he can learn to be a little more selective at the plate. Defensively I think he'll be fine. For me, the emergence of Cano was one of the highlights of the season. Thank you Miguel Cairo's agent for overestimating the market for your client, and thank you Tony Womack for sucking.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal Hawkins
    He definitely played well in the postseason, but it looked to me like he was still chasing some bad pitches...especially on those 2 strikeouts Monday night.
    I think he started pressing. Early in the series, he seemed very relaxed and poised for a rookie in his first postseason game. As the series progressed, though, I think it started getting to him and he tried to do more than he was capable of. He looked pretty bad on those two strikeouts. Both balls were in the dirt.

(Unfortunately, he should've been on first after one of them, but I believe that's for another thread to discuss.)
    18-1

Cano's potential enables me to finally forget about Soriano.

I did not think that would happen.

Released Outright noneckwilliams's Avatar

cano has untapped opposite field power. if he learns to take the ball the other way on a regular basis he can hit .320. i'm not sure he'll ever be a high obp guy but if he becomes less of a pull hitter he'll be a real force.

I hope he can eventually learn to take a walk
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    I hope he can eventually learn to take a walk
    He was taking more pitches as the season progressed. Not necessarily walking a lot but I think he's learning. He was definitely improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Takeo
    He was taking more pitches as the season progressed. Not necessarily walking a lot but I think he's learning. He was definitely improving.
    Sure seemed that way to me. Particularly, he took some very close pitches just off the plate, which is a good sign that he's developing patience and a good batting eye. Soriano would chase curves a foot outside, even though everybody in the park and those watching on TV, and even Soriano himself, knew it was coming.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Takeo
    Overall Pitches/PA: 3.05

May: 2.92
    June: 3.06
    July: 2.93
    August: 3.14
    September: 3.23

He certainly seemed to start taking some more pitches, but it wasn't as much as it seemed to the naked eye, I don't think. It's a good sign that he started around 2.92 in May and ended up at 3.23 in the September, and hopefully that progression continues, and isn't just a fluke. I think that he has a chance to be a pretty good hitter, but these comparisons by Torre to Rod Carew and people might be setting the expectations a bit high..
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    I really like this kid a lot. Hopefully he can learn to be a little more selective at the plate. Defensively I think he'll be fine. For me, the emergence of Cano was one of the highlights of the season. Thank you Miguel Cairo's agent for overestimating the market for your client, and thank you Tony Womack for sucking.

But I completely agree. Our hidden gems were definitely the highlight of the season for me. I also love that Cano has (most) always got a smile on his face and seems to be enjoying it. Here's hoping that DJ has found his double play partner for a long while

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi
    Overall Pitches/PA: 3.05

May: 2.92
    June: 3.06
    July: 2.93
    August: 3.14
    September: 3.23

He certainly seemed to start taking some more pitches, but it wasn't as much as it seemed to the naked eye, I don't think. It's a good sign that he started around 2.92 in May and ended up at 3.23 in the September, and hopefully that progression continues, and isn't just a fluke. I think that he has a chance to be a pretty good hitter, but these comparisons by Torre to Rod Carew and people might be setting the expectations a bit high..
    He was taking more pitches when he wasn't grounding out on the first pitch, if that makes any sense.
    18-1

NYYF Legend

Some Sportswriters are pushing for the Yanks to trade Cano for a star centerfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels07
    Some Sportswriters are pushing for the Yanks to trade Cano for a star centerfielder.
    thats sheffields job

Such as???
    Let the kids play.

Such as???
    Lupica? Perhaps he's hoping the Yanks raise the payroll so he can harp on it for yet another year.
    18-1

I think his power will improve a bit more next year, and his BB rate will go up. As mentioned, he started taking more pitches later in the year, esp. during the ALDS.

EDIT: Save for the errors, he's a good defender too. +9 UZR at the season's halfway point. He needs to learn to stay focused so th errors will go down. If we get Piniella, that will help tons.

Quote Originally Posted by EdRuane
    Lupica? Perhaps he's hoping the Yanks raise the payroll so he can harp on it for yet another year.
    Actually, I was looking for potential centerfielders. To trade someone with Cano's potential, especially considering how young he is, would have to fetch quite a prize. Anything older than 28 and not anything short of a gold glove with a solid bat should be out of the question.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

And that is why they are sports writers .

For no reason should we trade Cano. He is so good. He has the potential to turn into one of the best second baseman in the game, and he is homegrown, part of the 'new generation' of babyyankees. I love watching him

It's a good thing they're just sportswriters then.

The Yankees finally have a permanent answer at second base. Cano should be there for years to come. Trading him for anything other than a proven Ace would be stupid.

I would seriously consider trading this guy if the price is right. We always buy high and sell low, right now, his value is pretty high. Let's put a package together for Torii Hunter.
    Die hard Yankee fan since 1974.

[URL="http://www.claybuchholzloveslaptops.blogspot.com"][/URL]

Addicted Member

I didn't see that in Lupica today...got a quote?
    Quote Originally Posted by EdRuane

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by panicfan
    I didn't see that in Lupica today...got a quote?
    It was Heyman that said trade Cano for Hunter.

Thread Information