+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 278 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 6949
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    If the Yanks don't win it, I will root for Baltimore since their fans and city are more loyal than the ungrateful Tampa fans who hardly come out to see them unless they are playing New York or Boston.
    Have you had a chance to take notice of the Orioles attendance?
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

It's Me! I'm the Bobblehead! MelmoandMiggy's Avatar

Attendance has actually been decent for a team coming off 14 straight losing seasons (averaging 24k) and was right around that level for a few weeks leading up to this past home series against Chicago, when it was practically impossible to park or drive near Camden Yards due to set up for the Baltimore Grand Prix. Place will absolutely be packed down the stretch as the Orioles stay in it. 30k minimum from here on out, assuming they're still within a game or two of the playoffs, is my guess.
    If someone offers you 10,000:1 odds on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I will be a very rich man.

NYYF Legend

I have absolutely zero concern about the Orioles. None. They're on a cute run here, but that's about it.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I have absolutely zero concern about the Orioles. None. They're on a cute run here, but that's about it.
    I don't know Snatch. Even the SABR community is starting to take them seriously:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...oing-anywheree
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...g-expectation/

Even if their season has been an extended "fluke" up to this point, they've put themselves in a good position to make the postseason given how poorly the Yankees have been playing recently.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Even if their season has been an extended "fluke" up to this point, they've put themselves in a good position to make the postseason given how poorly the Yankees have been playing recently.
    This part I don't disagree with. I'm certainly concerned about what the Yankees are doing/going to do.

I'm just not concerned with the Orioles at all.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I don't know Snatch. Even the SABR community is starting to take them seriously:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...oing-anywheree
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...g-expectation/

Regardless of how the Yankees are doing, they are in a good position to make the playoffs. The Yankees have just given them a shot at the division. Even if they make and lose the one game playoff, it's a good year for them. I just don't like their chances next year if they don't improve -- I think they'll have a hard time repeating that combination of record and run differential.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Regardless of how the Yankees are doing, they are in a good position to make the playoffs. The Yankees have just given them a shot at the division. Even if they make and lose the one game playoff, it's a good year for them. I just don't like their chances next year if they don't improve -- I think they'll have a hard time repeating that combination of record and run differential.
    Agreed -- the Orioles are a safe bet to regress next year (all things being equal), but I can no longer dismiss them as a fluke for the remainder of the 2012 season. They have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.

The O's still have a west coast trip to make. 9 games with the A's and M's, both who are playing well lately.

They also have six left against Tampa, including the last three games of the season.

I don't think they'll be able to sustain it through all that. Of course, I didn't think they'd still be in the hunt this late to begin with, so what do I know.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    The O's still have a west coast trip to make. 9 games with the A's and M's, both who are playing well lately.

They also have six left against Tampa, including the last three games of the season.

I don't think they'll be able to sustain it through all that. Of course, I didn't think they'd still be in the hunt this late to begin with, so what do I know.
    good points..

but what do we know..they are up 9-0 - seems like they are making some sort of statement or something...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

Check that 11-0 - dang.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Check that 11-0 - dang.
    bobby jr is having a Buck Showalter themed orgy party right about now

anyone else rooting for Showalter? Let's go O's!

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    That will be an unpopular opinion on this site but, personally speaking, I'll always appreciate what Showalter did to bring the Yankees back to prominence after the team was the laughing stock of baseball between 1990-1991. That doesn't mean I'm rooting for his team (nothing personal) but it's not coincidence that Baltimore ditched the 'losing mentality' shortly after he arrived and is now in contention.

So does this mean that post is not viewed as baiting?

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    So does this mean that post is not viewed as baiting?
    His posting history speaks for itself. He apparently roots for the Mets and Orioles...and he was rooting for the Orioles back in April - long before they were thought to have a shot at the division. None of his comments about the Yankees have been incendiary in nature. He has also made fair commentary on other sports. I don't see a problem. Find someone that's here to piss people off and he'll be shown the door, but someone's fan allegiance doesn't make him/her a troll.

NYYF Legend

Yeah it's all good, I'm happy for long suffering Orioles fans. But the Yankees have bottomed early and the reverse for the Orioles. I don't see this trend holding up for another month

Better managerial signing

Buck S. or Bobby V.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Better managerial signing

Buck S. or Bobby V.
    That's a no-brainer.

However -- and trust me, I can't stand Bobby V. who is a first-class douche -- it is worth mentioning that Showalter has exactly the kind of roster Valentine wishes he had. Not a single overpaid, pampered veteran on that entire team. Showalter has been able to implement his philosophy however he likes without risking a clubhouse revolt from a bunch of primadonnas.

Bobby V. would have been a better fit for the O's than he's been for Boston, but Showalter is still a better fit for the O's than Valentine.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's a no-brainer.

However -- and trust me, I can't stand Bobby V. who is a first-class douche -- it is worth mentioning that Showalter has exactly the kind of roster Valentine wishes he had. Not a single overpaid, pampered veteran on that entire team. Showalter has been able to implement his philosophy however he likes without risking a clubhouse revolt from a bunch of primadonnas.

Bobby V. would have been a better fit for the O's than he's been for Boston, but Showalter is still a better fit for the O's than Valentine.
    Thanks for a very well put response.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

....i grew up in CT in the 70s and into the mid 80s..always been a Yankee fan. folks moved us to FL where i went to HS and college...i moved to Maryland with my then fiance...in part because Baltimore is an AL East city...and if i couldn't go back to CT at that time, at least i'd get my Yankees several times a year....

i moved here in '98.

this is the first time this town could give two craps about the Ravens' upcoming season. i mean, they still care about it, but it truly is a baseball-first town. i do feel good for them though. honestly.

i try to not mention it for fear of sounding patronizing though.

but yeah...last night's drubbing of a 3.20 ERA pitcher last night...if that wasn't a statement win..then i don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    I'm pretty sure you guys weren't rooting for Mussina when he was here, so no.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm pretty sure you guys weren't rooting for Mussina when he was here, so no.
    Moose and Jeffrey Maier were likely their biggest pet peeves about the Yankees way back then.

The Yanks won and the O's lost, soooooooooooooo ... who's #1?!!!

Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. I've felt the same way all along.

If I'm wrong, that's fine, but I just haven't found myself being concnerned. I'd love it if they were the WC and we won the division.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I agree. I'm not worried about the O's. There are other teams I'm more worried about.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm glad you posted this. I've felt the same way all along.

If I'm wrong, that's fine, but I just haven't found myself being concnerned. I'd love it if they were the WC and we won the division.
    The thing is, their lineup was always respectable and their bullpen is a legitimate strength. It's their starting pitching that was extremely suspect, but Chen has given them a legitimate #1 starter and Britton and Gonzalez seem to be blossoming at just the right time. I don't want it to be true but I really do not think this Orioles team is going to fade this year, especially when you factor in the surprising production they are getting from guys like Reynolds and McLouth.

Thread Information