+ Reply to Thread
Page 266 of 278 FirstFirst ... 166 216 256 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 276 ... LastLast
Results 6,626 to 6,650 of 6949

Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

Bobby vanishes and the O's are off to their best start in years. Coincidence?
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    someone registered on Sosh yesterday as Orange Jerseys and asked if they needed more payroll? could he have made a Sosh appearance?
    Did that person state that he/she was an O's fan? The Birds are the orange and black in the east. In the west, it's the SF Giants.

Anywayz ... from Sunday's game, what's the official rule if a DH replaces a pitcher? The DH rule is then suspended for the game? Or were these guys coming in off the bench as pitchers, since the bullpen had been depleted?

Oh yeah, why couldn't we have had a day game at Kaufman (vs Beantown), after 17 innings in a loss?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees Empire View Post
    Bobby vanishes and the O's are off to their best start in years. Coincidence?
    Anybody who wants players to stay with a team for the length of their baseball life, doesn't deserve to see success.

I wouldn't suppose that Bobby's IP address read "The Law Office of Peter G Angelos", now would it?
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Anywayz ... from Sunday's game, what's the official rule if a DH replaces a pitcher? The DH rule is then suspended for the game?
    Correct, both were the DH before becoming the pitchers, at which point there were no DH's anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Saw this highlight yesterday. Was this an intentional snub by Reynolds? Is there a story to it, or is it just accidentally awesome that Showalter pretends to receive the low five and then gives the little fist pump?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Saw this highlight yesterday. Was this an intentional snub by Reynolds? Is there a story to it, or is it just accidentally awesome that Showalter pretends to receive the low five and then gives the little fist pump?
    I believe a bit earlier Reynolds hit his first HR of the season and the team gave him the silent treatment.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think it was intentional because of with the silent treatment also. No mention of any problem between the two of them that I'm aware of.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...es-uzr-and-me/

Refreshing to see that some players are paying attention to stats like UZR and wOBA
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

On Thursday, when did the O's give Beantown a matinee "get away game" when they only had to travel to Fenway the next day, but they never have a day game before a travel day for the Yanks?

NYYF Legend

On Thursday, when did the O's give Beantown a matinee "get away game" when they only had to travel to Fenway the next day, but they never have a day game before a travel day for the Yanks?
    The O's have historically made it as difficult as possible when it comes to travel for the Yankees, IMO. They know the gate receipt will be a lot higher for a night game and of course typically half the crowd is comprised of Yankee fans.

The all-time worst was in Sept. 2003 - playing a ballgame with hurricane Isabel kicking the living crap out of the mid-Atlantic. They moved the starting time up to 11:00 a.m., or something like that, to try to get the game in before Isabel really set up camp. The Inner Harbor was flooded. The team could have gotten killed during take-off and I think they were the last flight out before BWI shutdown. We could not believe the game wasn't cancelled, but since we had tickets (hoping to see Mike win #200) were already there.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    The O's have historically made it as difficult as possible when it comes to travel for the Yankees, IMO. They know the gate receipt will be a lot higher for a night game and of course typically half the crowd is comprised of Yankee fans.

The all-time worst was in Sept. 2003 - playing a ballgame with hurricane Isabel kicking the living crap out of the mid-Atlantic. They moved the starting time up to 11:00 a.m., or something like that, to try to get the game in before Isabel really set up camp. The Inner Harbor was flooded. The team could have gotten killed during take-off and I think they were the last flight out before BWI shutdown. We could not believe the game wasn't cancelled, but since we had tickets (hoping to see Mike win #200) were already there.
    I think that I would've gotten busted for throwing a tire iron at the team owner's office. Weather like that and they make people play? Wow.

What I can't understand is that CY is habitually full of opposing fans whenever the Yanks or Beantown rolls in. Since both are division rivals whose fans must practically stick their dirty feet onto the clean settee, then why allow one team to have a matinee, while the other never gets one?

I think that once when Moose was pitching there, when he was a Yankee, he'd stood on the field saying how great a day it would be to have a ballgame. But noooooooooooooo, the O's FO decided to keep it at night, where it got rained out (as all the local weathermen had predicted).

So does the Baltimore FO consider the BoSox the "lesser of two evils" or something?

NYYF Legend

I think that I would've gotten busted for throwing a tire iron at the team owner's office. Weather like that and they make people play? Wow.

What I can't understand is that CY is habitually full of opposing fans whenever the Yanks or Beantown rolls in. Since both are division rivals whose fans must practically stick their dirty feet onto the clean settee, then why allow one team to have a matinee, while the other never gets one?

I think that once when Moose was pitching there, when he was a Yankee, he'd stood on the field saying how great a day it would be to have a ballgame. But noooooooooooooo, the O's FO decided to keep it at night, where it got rained out (as all the local weathermen had predicted).

So does the Baltimore FO consider the BoSox the "lesser of two evils" or something?
    It seems that way. Maybe it's partly because more Yankee fans make the trip than Sox, especially during the week. Now that the O's are playing like a contender, there should be more orange in the stands. The sad truth is that some season ticket holders will sell their seats to Boston or NY fans who will glady cough up the cash. I've never done a comparsion, but one would think most "high rent district" seats are cheaper in Baltimore.

I've said it before; if I were an O's fan I'd be livid to walk into the official team store and see Yankee gear for sale. The bottom line is the almighty dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It seems that way. Maybe it's partly because more Yankee fans make the trip than Sox, especially during the week. Now that the O's are playing like a contender, there should be more orange in the stands. The sad truth is that some season ticket holders will sell their seats to Boston or NY fans who will glady cough up the cash. I've never done a comparsion, but one would think most "high rent district" seats are cheaper in Baltimore.

I've said it before; if I were an O's fan I'd be livid to walk into the official team store and see Yankee gear for sale. The bottom line is the almighty dollar.
    The Yanks are also closer geographically than the NE fans. Outside of NE, how many Beantowners are there? I've met a few in Jersey, some limited amounts in NY, but where else are they?

It was either the Rangers on their website requesting that fans not sell tix to opposing fans on Craigslist or Stubhub, even meeting the fans in person to insure that they are truly Rangers fans. Like someone can't put on a Lundqvist jersey if they're really a Devils fan.

So the O's team store sells Yankee gear? Guess what? When Barry Bonds played at Yankee Stadium in June 2002 (at the FP vs Ted Lilly), guess who sold Giants t-shirts and stuff? Yankee Stadium, that's who. I still think that those were all Mets fans wearing Giants jerseys saying "YEAHHHHHHHH" whenever the Giants got a hit.

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

So...when do we think this team will be falling off the cliff? Any guesses or does anyone think they will compete for the divison or a WC come Sept?
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Legend

So...when do we think this team will be falling off the cliff? Any guesses or does anyone think they will compete for the divison or a WC come Sept?
    I still thnk they go in a big slump at some point because of SP.
    Their 2 best SP Hammels and Chen are really over performing.

Hammels has never has an ERA below 4.30 and only once had an ERA+ better than 100.
    Chen is a bit of an unknwon rookie from Tiawan. He may be for real or the leage may solve him 2nd time around.
    After that though their SP all have ERAs north of 5.
    They've been doing it with the bullpen - if that falters they will be in deep do-do.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I don't get the same feeling this year as I have in the past when they self-destructed around the All-Star break. They consistently made mistakes that you don't even see in the Little League WS - basic stuff like not calling for a flyball, baserunning blunders and missing the cut-off man. Their bullpen is as good as any in either league. It'll be interesting to see if the starters can keep up their pace so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see them still hanging in there in September......as much as it kills me to say it.

They have a +4 run diff-- they are 5 games above their pythag. I think they're going to fall back to earth.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I still thnk they go in a big slump at some point because of SP.
    Their 2 best SP Hammels and Chen are really over performing.

Hammels has never has an ERA below 4.30 and only once had an ERA+ better than 100.
    Chen is a bit of an unknwon rookie from Tiawan. He may be for real or the leage may solve him 2nd time around.
    After that though their SP all have ERAs north of 5.
    They've been doing it with the bullpen - if that falters they will be in deep do-do.
    Agreed.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Congrats to Wei-yin Chen for establishing a new Major League high for strikeouts in a game for a Taiwanese pitcher (his 12 Ks today vs. the A's surpasses Wang's 10 Ks back in '07 vs. the Mets). Chen also earned his 9th win to pass Wang for most wins by a Taiwanese pitcher during his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by hongchihkuo View Post
    Congrats to Wei-yin Chen for establishing a new Major League high for strikeouts in a game for a Taiwanese pitcher (his 12 Ks today vs. the A's surpasses Wang's 10 Ks back in '07 vs. the Mets). Chen also earned his 9th win to pass Wang for most wins by a Taiwanese pitcher during his rookie year.
    You're like the EvanJ of the Pacific Rim.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

DiMaggio's streak-- Cy Young's win total-- Wei-yin Chen Ks 12.

One of these kids is doing his own thing...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    You're like the EvanJ of the Pacific Rim.
    that made me chuckle
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Where's bobby?
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Where's bobby?
    Hiking across this great land of ours, rallying support for a salary cap.

Thread Information