+ Reply to Thread
Page 265 of 278 FirstFirst ... 165 215 255 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 275 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,625 of 6949
  1. #6601
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    So you don't think any of those people from the DC/VA area went to any Orioles games before the Nats arrived?
    Some of the ones we talked to said they did not attend O's games or even root for them. Of course, that's just a smal sampling. It's not as decisive as the Ravens/Washington football fanbase, but there does appear to be a following that has developed since the Nats set up camp - government employees, for example. While I'm sure some of them get tickets at little or no cost, the interest in DC baseball is growing along with the team's recent success.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  2. #6602

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Some of the ones we talked to said they did not attend O's games or even root for them. Of course, that's just a smal sampling. It's not as decisive as the Ravens/Washington football fanbase, but there does appear to be a following that has developed since the Nats set up camp - government employees, for example. While I'm sure some of them get tickets at little or no cost, the interest in DC baseball is growing along with the team's recent success.
    I am an Orioles fan that lives next to Camden Yards (1100 feet from home plate). It is definitely true that there is not the same level of hatred between Nats fans and O's fans as between Ravens and Redskins fans. I went to the Nats game last weekend (it was Strasburg bobblehead day) wearing an O's hat and nobody commented on it. The only Orioles/Nationals issue that I am aware of (other than the tv revenue issue) is the yelling of "O!" during the National anthem. I saw someone do it on Saturday and got 9 couple dirty looks. I saw many other people wearing O's gear and even more people wearing Braves gear. I went to a Braves game last year and the crowd was fairly evenly split (I would imagine this is due to TBS and the Richmond Braves)

    Nats tickets are incredibly inexpensive, my friend and I were able to buy tickets with college id for $6, 90 minutes before gametime. And this was for a game that they were giving away bobbleheads that have been selling on Ebay for $40. They have $1 tickets on Mondays and $2 tickets on Tuesdays. They are doing a good job marketing themselves and lucking into Strasburg and Harper helps too. That said, the tv ratings are quite poor, DC is a transient filled city so I would imagine that their ratio of visiting fans to home fans is among the highest in the league. I still have yet to come across a diehard Nats fan, but they seem to be holding their own. My impression is that the median age of baseball fans has risen drastically over the last 20 years which makes it more difficult for new teams to flourish.

  3. #6603
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    I am an Orioles fan that lives next to Camden Yards (1100 feet from home plate). It is definitely true that there is not the same level of hatred between Nats fans and O's fans as between Ravens and Redskins fans. I went to the Nats game last weekend (it was Strasburg bobblehead day) wearing an O's hat and nobody commented on it. The only Orioles/Nationals issue that I am aware of (other than the tv revenue issue) is the yelling of "O!" during the National anthem. I saw someone do it on Saturday and got 9 couple dirty looks. I saw many other people wearing O's gear and even more people wearing Braves gear. I went to a Braves game last year and the crowd was fairly evenly split (I would imagine this is due to TBS and the Richmond Braves)

    Nats tickets are incredibly inexpensive, my friend and I were able to buy tickets with college id for $6, 90 minutes before gametime. And this was for a game that they were giving away bobbleheads that have been selling on Ebay for $40. They have $1 tickets on Mondays and $2 tickets on Tuesdays. They are doing a good job marketing themselves and lucking into Strasburg and Harper helps too. That said, the tv ratings are quite poor, DC is a transient filled city so I would imagine that their ratio of visiting fans to home fans is among the highest in the league. I still have yet to come across a diehard Nats fan, but they seem to be holding their own. My impression is that the median age of baseball fans has risen drastically over the last 20 years which makes it more difficult for new teams to flourish.
    Wow - 1100 from home plate. That's what I call a home game. Are you around Pratt St.? I have a horrible sense of direction.

    Thanks for bringing up something that's a pet peeve of mine - hollering "O" during the national anthem. I thought it would eventually just die out, but it appears to be here for the duration.

    Nats fans seem to be very tolerant or at least indifferent to fans supporting other teams. I've worn my Yankee jersey a few times and have yet to hear, "Yankees suck". I'm sure part of that is because they're in the AL. I get grief at OPCY for wearing a #35 jersey and pinstripes. Came close to blows with some idiot who grabbed the sleeve and actually pushed me. My best baseball buddy is a diehard Nats fan, so when we go to Camden Yards, she wears the W jersey. Nobody ever gives her a hard time about it - but since they're doing pretty good right now, I don't know how long that'll last.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  4. #6604

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Thanks for bringing up something that's a pet peeve of mine - hollering "O" during the national anthem. I thought it would eventually just die out, but it appears to be here for the duration.
    It's certainly not something an Orioles fan should ever be doing in somebody else's ballpark.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  5. #6605

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's certainly not something an Orioles fan should ever be doing in somebody else's ballpark.
    I was sitting the RF bleachers at Fenway, well more liked crammed into the bleachers, for a Sox-Orioles game and I was next to a couple of Orioles fans (I'm not sure of the year but Ripken was still playing). Before the game we were chatting and I asked them "so you guys don't do that ridiculous "O's" things during the National Anthem, do you?

    Yeah, they stood up and shouted it. Some traditions I just don't get.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  6. #6606
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I was sitting the RF bleachers at Fenway, well more liked crammed into the bleachers, for a Sox-Orioles game and I was next to a couple of Orioles fans (I'm not sure of the year but Ripken was still playing). Before the game we were chatting and I asked them "so you guys don't do that ridiculous "O's" things during the National Anthem, do you?

    Yeah, they stood up and shouted it. Some traditions I just don't get.
    That is totally a pet peeve of mine as well.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  7. #6607
    NYYF Legend

    Saxmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Where the time comes from

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Someone on another forum mentioned what they called the 'Baltimore test'. Is it too early in the season to be worrying about whether your team will compete this year? If Baltimore are either 1st or 2nd in the AL East, then the answer is always "yes".

    Cruel, but . . .

    Be seeing you,

    Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

  8. #6608

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    No run support for Chen today. The Orioles lineup is pretty anemic without Reimold and Wieters.

  9. #6609

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's certainly not something an Orioles fan should ever be doing in somebody else's ballpark.
    I agree with you in games that the Orioles are not playing, but where the Orioles are the visiting team, I don't see it being that different than Yankees fans starting a "Let's Go Yankees" chant when the Yankees are the visitors. Braves fans have a similar tradition, as do Dallas Stars fans.

    When the Nationals first came to town there were a lot of people that did it, merely out of tradition. It took op-eds in the Washington Post and the passage of time for people to stop doing it. It is such a regular occurrence at University of Maryland events, Capitals and Wizards games that I actually found it jarring not to hear it.

    I like the tradition partially because I feel that we as a society are becoming far too homogenized and it is nice to have regional quirks. The idea that it shows a lack of respect for our country is a can of worms that I don't want to open.

  10. #6610
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    baltimore, md

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    eh. the poem was written a few miles from where OPCY sits. it's kinda silly to shout 'Oh', but i think Baltimore fans get a pass on this one.

  11. #6611

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    eh. the poem was written a few miles from where OPCY sits. it's kinda silly to shout 'Oh', but i think Baltimore fans get a pass on this one.
    When they do it at home, that's fine. Doing it on the road? Imagine being in somebody else's park and seeing an Indians fan beating a drum or a Rays fan banging a cowbell. Every team's fans have things they do at their home park that would be obnoxious if done elsewhere.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  12. #6612

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    When they do it at home, that's fine. Doing it on the road? Imagine being in somebody else's park and seeing an Indians fan beating a drum or a Rays fan banging a cowbell. Every team's fans have things they do at their home park that would be obnoxious if done elsewhere.
    Yeah. I am an Orioles fan, I don't have to imagine. Yankees fan do the roll call thing here (or attempt to, to varying degrees of success) and it is obnoxious, but what are you going to do?


    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Wow - 1100 from home plate. That's what I call a home game. Are you around Pratt St.? I have a horrible sense of direction.
    I live in Ridgely's Delight, the neighborhood across Russell St from Camden Yards. If you continue on Washington Blvd, past Greene/Russell, it is that neighborhood before you get to MLK.

  13. #6613
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    Yeah. I am an Orioles fan, I don't have to imagine. Yankees fan do the roll call thing here (or attempt to, to varying degrees of success) and it is obnoxious, but what are you going to do?




    I live in Ridgely's Delight, the neighborhood across Russell St from Camden Yards. If you continue on Washington Blvd, past Greene/Russell, it is that neighborhood before you get to MLK.
    Oh, okay. I think I have an idea of where that is. Thanks.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  14. #6614

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    I live in Ridgely's Delight
    I said a hip hop,
    Hippie to the hippie,
    The hip, hip a hop, and you don't stop, a rock it
    To the bang bang boogie, say, up jump the boogie,
    To the rhythm of the boogie, the beat.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  15. #6615

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by MurphDogg View Post
    I am an Orioles fan that lives next to Camden Yards (1100 feet from home plate). It is definitely true that there is not the same level of hatred between Nats fans and O's fans as between Ravens and Redskins fans. I went to the Nats game last weekend (it was Strasburg bobblehead day) wearing an O's hat and nobody commented on it. The only Orioles/Nationals issue that I am aware of (other than the tv revenue issue) is the yelling of "O!" during the National anthem. I saw someone do it on Saturday and got 9 couple dirty looks. I saw many other people wearing O's gear and even more people wearing Braves gear. I went to a Braves game last year and the crowd was fairly evenly split (I would imagine this is due to TBS and the Richmond Braves)

    Nats tickets are incredibly inexpensive, my friend and I were able to buy tickets with college id for $6, 90 minutes before gametime. And this was for a game that they were giving away bobbleheads that have been selling on Ebay for $40. They have $1 tickets on Mondays and $2 tickets on Tuesdays. They are doing a good job marketing themselves and lucking into Strasburg and Harper helps too. That said, the tv ratings are quite poor, DC is a transient filled city so I would imagine that their ratio of visiting fans to home fans is among the highest in the league. I still have yet to come across a diehard Nats fan, but they seem to be holding their own. My impression is that the median age of baseball fans has risen drastically over the last 20 years which makes it more difficult for new teams to flourish.
    I'm a White Sox fan who has lived in the DC area for 27 years now. I've been going to Camden Yards since it was opened and to the old park before that. I've adopted the Nats as my NL team and have been attending games since their first season here. It is true that the rivalry is no where near as intense as the ___skins-Ravens rivalry. Part of it is that DC is a ___skins town first and foremost, no matter what the other teams do, and part of it is that Baltimore is, without a doubt, a Ravens town now. With the O's futility since 1997, the Ravens have stepped into the breach.

    As far as hardcore Nats fans, there are some of course, but they simply have to start winning to win over casual fans, almost all of whom did not grow up with a baseball team to root for (no, the O's don't count because most DC residents will never root for Baltimore teams). Except for the 'skins, all Washington teams have had to deal with transient fans from other teams, even when they are doing well. The Nats are probably more susceptible to this because baseball seems to be more parochial in terms of fan interest than other sports, and they have not firmly connected with the community yet.

  16. #6616

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Can we not say 'Red' here?

    red red red red red
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  17. #6617

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Can we not say 'Red' here?

    red red red red red
    I was under the impression that he had edited out "fore".

  18. #6618
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Can we not say 'Red' here?

    red red red red red
    I always refer to the team as Washington because the name "Redskins" is somewhat offensive to me. Not all Native Americans feel this way, however.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  19. #6619

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Can we not say 'Red' here?

    red red red red red
    Not that you need me to tell you, but feel free.

  20. #6620

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I always refer to the team as Washington because the name "Redskins" is somewhat offensive to me. Not all Native Americans feel this way, however.
    Ah, now I get it.

    Yeah, Redskins is probably the most offensive of the various Native-American inspired team names, but it never occurred to me to avoid using it. It's the team's name, for better or worse.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  21. #6621
    #notonemore Big_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    I miss Bobby Jr's contributions to this forum. I would love to hear his take on the Orioles' start this year. (Apparently he is no longer suspended, according to his CUT. He is just MIA).

    Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

  22. #6622
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I miss Bobby Jr's contributions to this forum. I would love to hear his take on the Orioles' start this year. (Apparently he is no longer suspended, according to his CUT. He is just MIA).
    I missed something, as usual. Why the suspension?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  23. #6623
    Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    what's the over/under date for when the Orioles fall off the cliff?
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

  24. #6624
    Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I miss Bobby Jr's contributions to this forum. I would love to hear his take on the Orioles' start this year. (Apparently he is no longer suspended, according to his CUT. He is just MIA).
    someone registered on Sosh yesterday as Orange Jerseys and asked if they needed more payroll? could he have made a Sosh appearance?
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

  25. #6625

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    As a lifelong Orioles fan, I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Clearly a regression to the mean is to be expected but I am starting to think that maybe they are decent. I came into this season more pessimistic than I normally am, as the Orioles didn't bring in any stars, and they didn't have any top prospects coming in.

    That said, Jake Arrieta looks much better than he did last season, his velocity is up and his control has improved. Brian Matusz looks like he may have figured things out after his horrible 2011. Hamels is clearly pitching over his head, but his approach has changed, he is throwing a two-seamer more than the four-seamer he relied on last season and his GB% has increased. Yes he is due for a BABIP bump, but he could be a decent middle of the rotation guy. Wei-Yin Chen and Tommy Hunter make up the rest of the rotation, Chen is a fly-ball pitcher at Camden Yards which seems like a recipe for disaster, especially as the weather heats up, but he does have pinpoint control so he could be ok as a back of the rotation starter. Hunter has looked shaky, his velocity is down from last season and he has never been able to strike guys out, I would be surprised if he is still an MLB starter in three years. The Orioles have Zach Britton waiting in the wings he is recovering from injury and should be back by the end of the month.

    The bullpen is the team's biggest strength and watching them day in and day out, it doesn't look like smoke-and-mirrors to me with the possible exception of Luis Ayala. Pedro Strop has a great arm, closer stuff, I really think he is going to be a great reliever. Lindstrom also has a really live arm and good control. Jim Johnson the Orioles closer is actually the third best of the Orioles back of the bullpen relievers. This is interesting to me because as "the closer" he tends to come in to less high leverage situations than the other two. Stat guys have long bemoaned the fact that teams save their best pitcher for situations when their team is already winning and the bases are empty in the ninth inning, the Orioles seemed to have stumbled in to a more ideal situation. The rest of the bullpen is made up of Luis Ayala, Darren O'day, Troy Patton and Kevin Gregg. Darren O'Day is a decent reliever with deceptive arm motion that was available because he gave up 3 more homers last season than statistically he should have in his 11 innings of work. Ayala looks to me like a perfectly serviceable reliever who is catching a lot of breaks. Kevin Gregg is the 7th man in the bullpen and nobody has any confidence in him, and he is grossly overpaid but as the 7th man in the bullpen the standards are pretty low. The entire bullpen should have a regression to the mean, their combined ERAs are unsustainable, but on an individual basis they are a good group and I truly believe that Johnson, Lindstrom, and Strop are as good as any other team's three best relievers.

    The Orioles hitting this season has come from Adam Jones and Matt Wieters. Robert Andino is playing a little over his head (he has an unsustainable BABIP, his average should be more like .280) but Markakis, Hardy and Reynolds are all playing worse than expected. If Wieters is the guy that everybody thought he was going to be three years ago and Jones is finally becoming the perennial All-star everybody hoped he could be, the offense should be an asset.

    Defensively, the Orioles need to figure out third base, Reynolds is terrible and Betemit may be worse. It nearly cost them the game yesterday, as Betemit made an error on what should have been the third out in Chris Davis's first inning and the next hitter doubled, though they were saved by Marlon Byrd getting thrown out at the plate. I expect 3rd base to cost the Orioles a game or two.

    The bottom line is that this is not the Orioles of 2005, the last time the Orioles had a decent start to the season. There is no equivalent to Sidney Ponson or Daniel Cabrera on this year's team.

    I expect the pitching to regress to the mean, but I am starting to think that if the cards fall right, this could be an 85 win team.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts