+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 278 FirstFirst ... 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 62 102 152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 6949
  1. #1276
    Suffering Orioles fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charles Town, W.Va.

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Cabrera has had these sort of outings on occasion. More often, he's like this for five innings before totally forgetting how to throw the ball over the plate. When he's right, he can be very difficult to hit but at the same time very wild. Where he'll find the most success (assuming he ever does) is somewhere in the middle. He's got to let guys put the ball in play a little more often in exchange for pitching deeper into games.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

  2. #1277

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Why Not?
    Cabrera has had these sort of outings on occasion. More often, he's like this for five innings before totally forgetting how to throw the ball over the plate. When he's right, he can be very difficult to hit but at the same time very wild.
    He's really a puzzler. He's clearly got great ability, but has so much difficulty harnessing it.

    It is of course more than a little amusing to see Mazzone given credit for anything related to Cabrera this season (obviously this comment isn't in response to you WN).

  3. #1278

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    But the Orioles have no chance to compete under the current system, so it doesn't matter.
    Exactly!

    bobby jr says that :

    "Mazzone can't work miracles in one year. But Cabrera and Bedard, there is definitely a good 1-2 punch there for next year. And Mazzone is starting to show the results. Remember that both Angelos and Steinbrenner tried to get him."

    Yes, and who got Leo Mazzone again?

    Baseball is so UNFAIR!!!!

  4. #1279
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Mazzone can't work miracles in one year. But Cabrera and Bedard, there is definitely a good 1-2 punch there for next year. And Mazzone is starting to show the results. Remember that both Angelos and Steinbrenner tried to get him.
    There is no love lost between Angelos and Mazzone. Mazzone went to the O's as a favor to his childhood friend Sam Perlozzo.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  5. #1280
    Suffering Orioles fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charles Town, W.Va.

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    He's really a puzzler. He's clearly got great ability, but has so much difficulty harnessing it.

    It is of course more than a little amusing to see Mazzone given credit for anything related to Cabrera this season (obviously this comment isn't in response to you WN).
    I agree. If Mazzone gets any credit for Cabrera's final start of the year, he deserves blame for all of the crappy ones as well.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

  6. #1281

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaff05
    Actually, Loewen has been pretty awful against everybody but the Yanks. Cabrera has been pretty awful against anybody but the Yanks. And Hayden Penn has just been awful.

    Mazzone's work is paying off well.
    Even this is untrue. He was godawfully bad against the Yankees in his last start against them, IIRC. Bobby certainly wasn't talking about what Leo had done with him then. In his last 3 starts, Cabrera didn't show anything approaching the level of success he enjoyed last night. To say that he's a beneficiary of Leo Mazzone on such a small sample size is stretching.
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

  7. #1282

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    With Baltimore rapidly approaching the 900 runs allowed mark, I wonder how much credit bobby wants to give him for that. Oh, right, he can't work wonders in a year. That's only with Cabrera, who leads the AL in walks.
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

  8. #1283
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saccomano
    With Baltimore rapidly approaching the 900 runs allowed mark, I wonder how much credit bobby wants to give him for that. Oh, right, he can't work wonders in a year. That's only with Cabrera, who leads the AL in walks.
    And he missed 6 and 1/2 weeks of the season!!!!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  9. #1284
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Baltimore

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman
    But the Orioles have no chance to compete under the current system, so it doesn't matter.
    Actually there is much truth to your statement. I have no illusions that the Orioles will ever be able to compete on a long term basis with the Yankees and their payroll under the current highly unfair system which exists. The Yankees payroll is nearly 200 million and how long until it goes back over that amount. This does not mean that I cannot enjoy the Orioles successes and victories when the do occur. However I keep them in the proper context. The most important thing to me is that the MLB system be resolved to give the Orioles and other small market teams a fair chance. I am not satisfied with 1 hitters in September when my team is hopelessly out of the race, when the team which is winning had a tremendous head start in the race. I want more than that. Now as for Cabrera, he has a great fastball, and his control has always been his problem. But many great power pitchers such as Koufax and Ryan had control problems early in their career. Cabrera, under the watchful eye of Mazzone, well his potential is virtually unlimited. He has shown such promise, imagine if he could pitch like he did last night more often!

  10. #1285
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Actually there is much truth to your statement. I have no illusions that the Orioles will ever be able to compete on a long term basis with the Yankees and their payroll under the current highly unfair system which exists. The Yankees payroll is nearly 200 million and how long until it goes back over that amount. This does not mean that I cannot enjoy the Orioles successes and victories when the do occur. However I keep them in the proper context. The most important thing to me is that the MLB system be resolved to give the Orioles and other small market teams a fair chance. I am not satisfied with 1 hitters in September when my team is hopelessly out of the race, when the team which is winning had a tremendous head start in the race. I want more than that. Now as for Cabrera, he has a great fastball, and his control has always been his problem. But many great power pitchers such as Koufax and Ryan had control problems early in their career. Cabrera, under the watchful eye of Mazzone, well his potential is virtually unlimited. He has shown such promise, imagine if he could pitch like he did last night more often!
    What you are failing to understand is that the Orioles DO have a fair chance. MLB and the other owners are no going to hand the Orioles success on a silver platter.

    Write a letter to Uncle Petey and tell him to get off his lawyer ass and either follow the model that had been set forth by teams like the Braves, Twins and A's or, his alternative, to sell the team to make the Baltimore Orioles a better organization.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  11. #1286

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saccomano
    Even this is untrue. He was godawfully bad against the Yankees in his last start against them, IIRC. Bobby certainly wasn't talking about what Leo had done with him then. In his last 3 starts, Cabrera didn't show anything approaching the level of success he enjoyed last night. To say that he's a beneficiary of Leo Mazzone on such a small sample size is stretching.
    I wasn't saying that he was a beneficiary of Leo Mazzone.

  12. #1287
    NYYF HOF

    spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in transit

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saccomano
    With Baltimore rapidly approaching the 900 runs allowed mark, I wonder how much credit bobby wants to give him for that. Oh, right, he can't work wonders in a year. That's only with Cabrera, who leads the AL in walks.
    It's amazing, isn't it? That we can bring up all these points and questions we ask bobby directly, and instead he takes one sarcastic comment and ignores the rest of it. Amazing, don't you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Now as for Cabrera, he has a great fastball, and his control has always been his problem. But many great power pitchers such as Koufax and Ryan had control problems early in their career. Cabrera, under the watchful eye of Mazzone, well his potential is virtually unlimited. He has shown such promise, imagine if he could pitch like he did last night more often!
    Of course! Under the watchful eye of Mazzone, you'll be sure to see one-hitters every night! ...


    Cabrera's potential is virtually unlimited with or without Mazzone. His potential is going to be there regardless of his pitching coach; he's always had it. Yet, just two starts ago vs. Detroit he gave up 6 ER in 4 IP. If Mazzone gets credit for last night's performance, what about that start against Detroit?
    "What you fail to understand in your joyless myopia is that baseball is the key to life -- the Rosetta Stone, if you will." -The X-Files

  13. #1288

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Open up the checkbook for Soriano in the offseason and don't tell me this team can't compete for at least a wild card spot.


    Bedard
    Cabrera
    Benson
    Loewen
    Penn

    CL: Ray

    2B Roberts
    3B Mora
    LF Soriano
    SS Tejada
    C Hernandez
    RF Markakis
    1B Gibbons
    DH Fahey
    CF Patterson

  14. #1289

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYKforever
    Open up the checkbook for Soriano in the offseason and don't tell me this team can't compete for at least a wild card spot.


    Bedard
    Cabrera
    Benson
    Loewen
    Penn

    CL: Ray

    2B Roberts
    3B Mora
    LF Soriano
    SS Tejada
    C Hernandez
    RF Markakis
    1B Gibbons
    DH Fahey
    CF Patterson
    They'll need another good starter. So It's going to need a Payroll increase of about 30M.

  15. #1290

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Actually there is much truth to your statement. I have no illusions that the Orioles will ever be able to compete on a long term basis with the Yankees and their payroll under the current highly unfair system which exists. The Yankees payroll is nearly 200 million and how long until it goes back over that amount. This does not mean that I cannot enjoy the Orioles successes and victories when the do occur. However I keep them in the proper context. The most important thing to me is that the MLB system be resolved to give the Orioles and other small market teams a fair chance. I am not satisfied with 1 hitters in September when my team is hopelessly out of the race, when the team which is winning had a tremendous head start in the race. I want more than that. Now as for Cabrera, he has a great fastball, and his control has always been his problem. But many great power pitchers such as Koufax and Ryan had control problems early in their career. Cabrera, under the watchful eye of Mazzone, well his potential is virtually unlimited. He has shown such promise, imagine if he could pitch like he did last night more often!
    I think it's a very difficult argument to make when Blue Jays, Min, As are doing so well as a small budget team and the Yankees won their world series when their payroll advantage is minimal against the top payroll teams (I believe in 1998 Orioles actually had the highest payroll. I could be wrong).

    *Edit Sorry for posting arguments that have been made before.

  16. #1291
    NYYF HOF

    spyglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in transit

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Well, I think they might be a year or so off from contending for a WC spot, but I could be wrong. The SP needs to show consistency (other than Bedard, who has been very, very good without a doubt and should be a rock in the rotation) and they need to find someone for middle relief who can consistently get hitters out.

    But still, it would help a lot if they could prove that they were moving towards contention. It would help a lot with the team's ability to draw impact free agents.
    "What you fail to understand in your joyless myopia is that baseball is the key to life -- the Rosetta Stone, if you will." -The X-Files

  17. #1292

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYKforever
    Open up the checkbook for Soriano in the offseason and don't tell me this team can't compete for at least a wild card spot.


    Bedard
    Cabrera
    Benson
    Loewen
    Penn

    CL: Ray

    2B Roberts
    3B Mora
    LF Soriano
    SS Tejada
    C Hernandez
    RF Markakis
    1B Gibbons
    DH Fahey
    CF Patterson
    That rotation has the potential to be good, but it has the potential to suck once again. Just because Cabrera ended the year with a one-hitter doesn't mean that he has now changed into a consistent pitcher. That's always been his problem. Penn and Loewen are big question marks, but if they realize their potential next year, the Orioles should have atleast a winning record.

  18. #1293
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaff05
    That rotation has the potential to be good, but it has the potential to suck once again. Just because Cabrera ended the year with a one-hitter doesn't mean that he has now changed into a consistent pitcher. That's always been his problem. Penn and Loewen are big question marks, but if they realize their potential next year, the Orioles should have atleast a winning record.
    Yeah... Let's let them crawl before they walk...

    BTW: I'd bet dollars to donuts that the Orioles re-sign Millar because of his great "clubhouse presence".... Even though that would be an extremely bad move for them! <*enter Peter Angelos*>
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  19. #1294
    can't pump his fist Mark19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYKforever
    Open up the checkbook for Soriano in the offseason and don't tell me this team can't compete for at least a wild card spot.


    Bedard
    Cabrera
    Benson
    Loewen
    Penn

    CL: Ray

    2B Roberts
    3B Mora
    LF Soriano
    SS Tejada
    C Hernandez
    RF Markakis
    1B Gibbons
    DH Fahey
    CF Patterson
    no team in their right mind would bat Soriano clean-up, he would strand dozens of runners by striking out on ball in the dirt
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.


    "They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

  20. #1295

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    no team in their right mind would bat Soriano clean-up, he would strand dozens of runners by striking out on ball in the dirt
    The problem with batting him leadoff is that his strikeout tendencies don't fit well with that role; nor does his power, which would be better suited to middle-of-the-lineup type of hitting to drive runners in. The only thing subserved by hitting leadoff is his speed, which, while formidable, could still be used in the middle of the lineup to give the bottom guys a chance to score him.
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

  21. #1296
    Suffering Orioles fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charles Town, W.Va.

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by NYKforever
    Open up the checkbook for Soriano in the offseason and don't tell me this team can't compete for at least a wild card spot.


    Bedard
    Cabrera
    Benson
    Loewen
    Penn

    CL: Ray

    2B Roberts
    3B Mora
    LF Soriano
    SS Tejada
    C Hernandez
    RF Markakis
    1B Gibbons
    DH Fahey
    CF Patterson
    If Brandon Fahey is our starting DH on opening day, I want you to come to my house and kill me.

    The key for any near-future success is the advancement of the young pitching. Everything hinges on those guys. If they don't develop, nothing else matters. That's not saying we dont' need a couple of more weapons on offense, cus we do.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

  22. #1297

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Why Not?
    The key for any near-future success is the advancement of the young pitching. Everything hinges on those guys. If they don't develop, nothing else matters.
    Do the O's have well regarded pitching prospects in the minors? Is Loewen considered a real prospect or is he just a guy brought up because they needed someone? Has the shine worn off Penn a little or is he still thought of as having a lot of promise?

  23. #1298
    Suffering Orioles fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charles Town, W.Va.

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    Do the O's have well regarded pitching prospects in the minors? Is Loewen considered a real prospect or is he just a guy brought up because they needed someone? Has the shine worn off Penn a little or is he still thought of as having a lot of promise?
    Most of the young pitching is already here. Bedard, Cabrera, Loewen and Penn.

    Loewen is legit. He was the fourth overall pick in the 2002 draft but didn't sign until the following May, then missed much of 2003-04 with injuries. He signed a major league contract, meaning he has to be on the 25-man roster (or go through waivers) by this fall. His progress was stalled somewhat by the injuries and he might have been called up a little early. He's all but untouchable in trade talks.

    The shine has worn off Penn a little, but it's hard what to make of his late-season performance. He pitched very well in AAA before his appendectomy. He was out a while and never pitched well afterwards. But he's still just 21.

    The next crop of young guys is at least a year away. Garrett Olson, Brandon Erbe, J.J. Johnson and Rahames Liz seem to be the top names right now. By the time those guys prove their worth the Orioles should have a better idea of how good Cabrera, Penn and Loewen can be.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

  24. #1299

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    NEW YORK (AP) -- Major League Baseball broke its season attendance record Saturday and was on track to finish with the second-highest per-game average in the sport's history.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

    Man, the Yankees are just killing baseball.

  25. #1300
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hughes Fan
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

    Man, the Yankees are just killing baseball.
    can't be true. The Orioles are stinking, therefore MLB is broken
    Life is good!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts