+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 278 FirstFirst ... 101 151 191 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 211 251 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 6949
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14
    Random question: Was anyone else surprised that the Orioles gave out #35 to that kid who pitched last night? I'm not saying Mussina's number should be retired, but even the Yankees aren't giving it out. It seems to me the Orioles shouldn't give that number to just anybody. Wait until someone "deserving" comes along. Plenty of teams observe this unwritten rule (Red Sox with #5, for example).

Unless they really think Bergesen is a future stud?
    The Yanks gave Karsay the same #31 that Winfield wore, they let others wear Andy's #46 while he was in Houston, and others have worn Straw's #39.

#49, however, wasn't given out before it was retired, and that Muts closer, Armando Benitez, was denied keeping his #49 when he cam over to setup Mo.

#21 & #51 are both safe. Just ask Rocket (who switched to #22) and Unit (#52).
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Baltimore Sun is reporting Dave Trembley will be fired before Friday's game with Boston.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Random question: Was anyone else surprised that the Orioles gave out #35 to that kid who pitched last night? I'm not saying Mussina's number should be retired, but even the Yankees aren't giving it out. It seems to me the Orioles shouldn't give that number to just anybody. Wait until someone "deserving" comes along. Plenty of teams observe this unwritten rule (Red Sox with #5, for example).

Somebody wore #35 in 2001 - just can't remember right now who it was. They gave Mike's number to Daniel Cabrera in 2004, so they didn't waste much time trying to pretend he never pitched for them. Angelos also added a statement that was included with season ticket holders' packages (yes, believe it or not, they've got a few) in 2001 that part of the reason there was no price increase was due to the fact that they did not re-sign Mussina. Classless. The difference between the 2 organizations is like night and day.....the Yankees retire his number (even though not permanently) thank him with a sign on the old stadium and the O's erased any trace of his 10 years in Baltimore. I'm just waiting to see how they get around inducting Moose into the Orioles' HOF.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

The Red Sox gave out #5 last year to Baldelli. I guess they saw him as a worthy successor to Nomar, given the amount of time both spend on the DL?
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

Weird observation I just made. If the O's continue at this pace, they will lose more games by the all star break than the Yanks are expected to lose all season.
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    The Yanks gave Karsay the same #31 that Winfield wore, they let others wear Andy's #46 while he was in Houston, and others have worn Straw's #39.

#49, however, wasn't given out before it was retired, and that Muts closer, Armando Benitez, was denied keeping his #49 when he cam over to setup Mo.

#21 & #51 are both safe. Just ask Rocket (who switched to #22) and Unit (#52).
    RJ wore #41, and let's not forget that Latroy Hawkins briefly wore #21, but I get your point. The #21 thing was an embarrassment in terms of how the fans behaved, but it does underscore that there's an expectation that certain numbers are "semi-retired" for a little while.

Regarding Baldelli, clearly the Red Sox are ready to give out #5 and Baldelli was good choice to wear it. He was a popular signing at the time, a veteran with a history wearing that number for a team in the division that the fans had seen plenty of as a visiting player. My guess is that they will still be selective in handing the number out again.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Cy Young

The Baltimore Orioles should opt out of the AL East. With the imbalanced schedule they would fare much better in another division.

The Commissioner's commission studied this problem last winter, and came up with the idea of teams flexing in and out of the the AL East. I'm glad they realize there is a problem, now I'd like to see some action taken to help the Orioles situation.

I would be much more optimistic about their record this year if they had a lot of games coming against KC, rather than Boston and New York.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    The Baltimore Orioles should opt out of the AL East. With the imbalanced schedule they would fare much better in another division.

The Commissioner's commission studied this problem last winter, and came up with the idea of teams flexing in and out of the the AL East. I'm glad they realize there is a problem, now I'd like to see some action taken to help the Orioles situation.

I would be much more optimistic about their record this year if they had a lot of games coming against KC, rather than Boston and New York.
    They were 6-9 against the woeful Royals and Indians -- face it, they'd probably finish under .500 in the Pacific Coast League.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

They should opt out of baseball.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

I'm seeing an alarming lack of fundamental baseball on this team - not calling each other off pop-ups, base running blunders, missing the cut-off man, etc. It won't make much difference if they're playing Boston or the Bad News Bears as long as the basics are on the DL.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Since 2005 the Royals are the only team in the AL that the Orioles have a winning record against. Maybe if the Orioles could play the Royals every game they could have a winning record for once?

NYYF Legend

This team didn't even try. The Jays or Rays fans have the right to complain about the schedule. O's fans? Not so much.

NYYF Legend

no self-respecting O's fan is complaining about salary discrepancies this year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo
    no self-respecting O's fan is complaining about salary discrepancies this year.
    In fairness to the Orioles, it's not their fault that they went 17 innings without scoring a run at home. How can they compete against the high priced pitchers the Sox rolled out? When the Sox can just throw money at high priced free agents like Buchholz, Lester, and Bard, what are the Orioles to do?

Bobby give it up. There is not one other person on this board, Oriole fans included that is buying the garbage you spew here.

Of course having an owner with a brain which is the reason for the Orioles incompetence would fix things. Take a look around at the 4 other teams within 3 1/2 games of first Bobby and take notes of how teams with smart management do.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    In fairness to the Orioles, it's not their fault that they went 17 innings without scoring a run at home. How can they compete against the high priced pitchers the Sox rolled out? When the Sox can just throw money at high priced free agents like Buchholz, Lester, and Bard, what are the Orioles to do?
    Listen, the Mariners spent a pile of money in the offseason and they're not much better than the Orioles this year. It's not about how much money you spend, it's about how WELL you spend it and how WELL you run your scouting department, farm system, and coaching staff. Like someone said, they would probably finish last in a AA league

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    Since 2005 the Royals are the only team in the AL that the Orioles have a winning record against. Maybe if the Orioles could play the Royals every game they could have a winning record for once?
    Well it would be better to face the Texas Rangers rather than the Yankees so many times in a season. Better to go 9-11 against the Rangers than than 2-18 against the Yankees.

Here is an article from Schmuck in March..
    With the recent problems the Orioles are having, the impetus for changing this unfair situation will grow stronger. I'd like to see the Orioles out of the AL East within 2 years.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...-andy-macphail

"Baseball's Unbalanced Schedules Don't Lead to Fair Play

Both the current alignment of the American League and the unbalanced schedule that amplifies the economic imbalance in major league baseball have created an unforgiving landscape where - for the also-rans of the division - the horizon never seems to get any closer....

What I'm trying to say here is that the schedule is broken and it needs to be fixed, not just so the Orioles actually have a chance to make the playoffs if they improve substantially over the next few years, but also for the good of the entire sport.

I'm not breaking any ground here. This has been debated for years, but the reason the schedule discussion needs to start anew is because baseball commissioner Bud Selig recently opened the door to the possibility of real change...."

The Orioles are a joke of a franchise. The Oriole way is one of incompetence led by their braindead owner Peter Angelos. There isn't a system out there he would be smart enough to navigate.
    Life is good!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967
    Bobby give it up. There is not one other person on this board, Oriole fans included that is buying the garbage you spew here.

Of course having an owner with a brain which is the reason for the Orioles incompetence would fix things. Take a look around at the 4 other teams within 3 1/2 games of first Bobby and take notes of how teams with smart management do.
    These are the Baltimore Orioles not some minor league outfit you're talking about. We are not anyone's whipping boys, This is the team which won 109 games in 1969 while leaving the Yankees in the distant dust for a decade, between 1965-74. This is the team of Frank and Brooks Robinson, Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, , Cal Ripken, and so many other great hall of fame players.

I will never accept a situation which puts the Orioles behind the eight ball due to factors beyond their control.
    The Orioles are a proud franchise with a loyal fan base, which led the league in attendance not too long ago. Better days will return.

These are the Baltimore Orioles not some minor league outfit you're talking about. We are not anyone's whipping boys, This is the team which won 109 games in 1969 while leaving the Yankees in the distant dust for a decade, between 1965-74. This is the team of Frank and Brooks Robinson, Earl Weaver, Jim Palmer, , Cal Ripken, and so many other great hall of fame players.

I will never accept a situation which puts the Orioles behind the eight ball due to factors beyond their control.
    The Orioles are a proud franchise with a loyal fan base, which led the league in attendance not too long ago. Better days will return.
    Yes, the Baltimore Orioles, the laughing stock of major league baseball run by an incompetent man. They used to be a proud franchise with good, smart ownership, now they are run by Peter Angelos. You have every right to be angry but your anger is misdirected. Be angry at the 20 years of mismanagement this clown has provided. the Orioles of the last 20 years are not proud, they are a joke and as long as Angelos owns them, it will continue.
    Life is good!

Such a proud franchise that you want them to go another division in order to have a shot at competing. How do you function in everyday life?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic
    Such a proud franchise that you want them to go another division in order to have a shot at competing. How do you function in everyday life?
    Exactly "proud" franchises welcomes challenges, not runs from them.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Well it would be better to face the Texas Rangers rather than the Yankees so many times in a season. Better to go 9-11 against the Rangers than than 2-18 against the Yankees.

Here is an article from Schmuck in March..
    With the recent problems the Orioles are having, the impetus for changing this unfair situation will grow stronger. I'd like to see the Orioles out of the AL East within 2 years.
    Since 2005, the Orioles have a .360 winning percentage against the Yankees and .400 against the Rangers. Is that really what you aspire to?

Face it, the Orioles suck against everybody. It's not the competition, it's the competitor.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic
    With an equal playing field, with equality of opportunity, the Baltimore Orioles dominated the AL for a decade, and the AL East from 1969-74.

There is no longer equality of opportunity in MLB, and the AL East is the most glaring example in MLB. Just look at the team payroll figures. I would prefer that this situation be remedied. Beating a team with 3 times your payroll over the long run isn't a "challenge". It is impossible.

But failing this I want the Orioles out of this division. Yes this is a proud franchise and it deserves better. I'm tired of seeing them beat their head against the wall.

Baltimore Orioles, laughingstock franchise of MLB.
    Life is good!

Thread Information