+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 278 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 6949

Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by heyabbott
    you turned out to be one of the biggest liars int he history of the internet with your asseration that the Orioles are a clean team.
    The biggest laugher is Jay Gibbons. Apparently he should have gotten a refund on his batch. His career was over before it started.

SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Cy Young

you turned out to be one of the biggest liars int he history of the internet with your asseration that the Orioles are a clean team.
    Some people apparently don't even know what lying is. Unusual for this board, not so much for Sunspot, where you like to post, but let me help you out.

If you say something you believe is true at the time based on available facts, that is not lying. That is a mistake, if facts later come out that show that you were wrong.

As for the Orioles dumping steroid users, Raffy and Tejada are already gone. I have a feeling that Roberts and Gibbons will be gone too, (although Roberts steroid use is based upon some of the weakest evidence used in the report)

Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    Some people apparently don't even know what lying is. Unusual for this board, not so much for Sunspot, where you like to post, but let me help you out.

If you say something you believe is true at the time based on available facts, that is not lying. That is a mistake, if facts later come out that show that you were wrong.

As for the Orioles dumping steroid users, Raffy and Tejada are already gone. I have a feeling that Roberts and Gibbons will be gone too, (although Roberts steroid use is based upon some of the weakest evidence used in the report)
    Do you think you could possibly be making a mistake about the payroll/unfair advantage issue?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Mark19
    The biggest laugher is Jay Gibbons. Apparently he should have gotten a refund on his batch. His career was over before it started.

Actually Gibbons had some decent years, 2003 23 HR's and 100 RBI. 2005 26 HR's, .277 BA.

My own suspicion is that his recent deteroration to .230 and 6 HR last year is due to his going off of the juice. I hope the Orioles get rid of him soon although I don't know if any other team would want him. He made 5 million last year.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by gK
    Do you think you could possibly be making a mistake about the payroll/unfair advantage issue?
    Well I don't think it is possible that I could be wrong in thinking that having a high payroll is a factor in determining a teams winning percentage. I suppose I could be wrong in thinking this is the Orioles biggest problem, but that remains to be seen.

That in nonsense. Ignorance isn't an excuse. You directly claimed that the Orioles were a clean clubhouse, even when logic dictated that this was highly unlikely.

You lied.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

NYYF Legend

I feel bad for Brian Roberts... but only right now. After all, every felt bad for Raffy Palmeiro at first too....
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

That in nonsense. Ignorance isn't an excuse. You directly claimed that the Orioles were a clean clubhouse, even when logic dictated that this was highly unlikely.

You lied.
    I don't think he lied. I don't think bobby is a liar. I just think that he gets wrapped up in his team's crappiness and believes what he wants to or whatever is easiest. I used to do it with the Knicks but this season has been an awakening.

Suffering Orioles fan

I don't know man. Even if he spent, say, $100,000 on steroids/HGH, that might have been the difference between a 2-3 year career in the majors and how his career has turned out. He'll wind up making $20 million in salary.

Not a bad investment. Of course, you have to count on some team signing your sorry butt to a long-term deal.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

The orioles are too stupid to even get good 'roids abusers. Larry Bigbie seems to b e the inhouse ring leader and he's never amounted to anything but a lot of early chatter on orioles fanboy sites about being the second coming of Larry Sheets. LOL.
    keep on trolling booby.

BTW who was the orioles minor league pitcher that died doing drugs? did angelos know about the drug use?

The orioles are too stupid to even get good 'roids abusers. Larry Bigbie seems to b e the inhouse ring leader and he's never amounted to anything but a lot of early chatter on orioles fanboy sites about being the second coming of Larry Sheets. LOL.
    keep on trolling booby.

BTW who was the orioles minor league pitcher that died doing drugs? did angelos know about the drug use?
    He was too busy browbeating the Nationals for daring to bring a team to the country's 8th largest metro area.

NYYF Cy Young

He was too busy browbeating the Nationals for daring to bring a team to the country's 8th largest metro area.
    How dare Angelos fight a team moving less than 40 miles away from Camden Yards?
    The Nats attendance was pretty bad last year too, large metro area or not.

NYYF Legend

There's two teams in the LA market, two teams in NY, and two teams in Chicago. Those are all closer to each other, and at the very least they're also within the same state.

Suffering Orioles fan

keep on trolling booby.

Steve Bechler, whose death led to the banning of ephedra. Ephedra was the ingredient in diet pills like Dexatrim. It was very much legal and available at your grocery store.

Suffering Orioles fan

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    There's two teams in the LA market, two teams in NY, and two teams in Chicago. Those are all closer to each other, and at the very least they're also within the same state.
    Much larger markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Why Not?
    Much larger markets.
    Yeah, but the metro area population of Chicago is very close to the metro area population of Baltimore and D.C. added together... So while much larger markets, wouldn't you compare them with the Baltimore/D.C. markets added together?

Keepin the Faith marietta_soxfan's Avatar

Thank god the Mitchell report didn't include Jack Daniels use or Millar would have been screwed.
    2004 and 2007 Boston Red Sox World Series Champs!

Marietta_soxfan = guy

Suffering Orioles fan

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Fiber
    Yeah, but the metro area population of Chicago is very close to the metro area population of Baltimore and D.C. added together... So while much larger markets, wouldn't you compare them with the Baltimore/D.C. markets added together?
    Not THAT close. Population assessments of urban areas can vary widely, but Chicago is still in the neighborhood of 20% larger than DC and Baltimore combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest..._United_States

Furthermore, if it's true that Baltimore/Washington should be able to support two teams because of its population, it is also true that New York should be able to support three teams, possibly four. How would ownership of the Yanks and Mets feel about that.

Not THAT close. Population assessments of urban areas can vary widely, but Chicago is still in the neighborhood of 20% larger than DC and Baltimore combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest..._United_States

Furthermore, if it's true that Baltimore/Washington should be able to support two teams because of its population, it is also true that New York should be able to support three teams, possibly four. How would ownership of the Yanks and Mets feel about that.
    That isn't technically true. New York Metro area has three hockey teams, two basketball teams, two football teams, two baseball teams, a pro soccer team, four minor league baseball teams and countless one-time events (US Open, NCAA Tournament) to keep the sports market saturated.

The Nationals were aimed at Northern Virginia, one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It already has 2.5 million people which is more than the populations of the Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, Cincy and KC metro areas.
    I live in Arlington and go to Nats games 6-8 times a year and this doesn't stop me from going to Baltimore when a good team is in town.

The DC/Baltimore area can certainly support two teams. The attendence problems at Camden are a reflection of crappy ownership rather than the effect of the Nats.

NYYF Legend

That isn't technically true. New York Metro area has three hockey teams, two basketball teams, two football teams, two baseball teams, a pro soccer team, four minor league baseball teams and countless one-time events (US Open, NCAA Tournament) to keep the sports market saturated.

The Nationals were aimed at Northern Virginia, one of the fastest growing regions in the country. It already has 2.5 million people which is more than the populations of the Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Denver, Cincy and KC metro areas.
    I live in Arlington and go to Nats games 6-8 times a year and this doesn't stop me from going to Baltimore when a good team is in town.

The DC/Baltimore area can certainly support two teams. The attendence problems at Camden are a reflection of crappy ownership rather than the effect of the Nats.
    Absolutely 100% correct. Orioles attendance was declining long before the Nationals moved into town. Fans will only support a lousy, poorly run team for so long. Plus traffic in the DC area has gotten so bad over the last 10 years that a lot of Baltimore's Northern VA fanbase have simply stopped going to weeknight games. You have to leave by 4:00 to get to a 7:00 game on time. That is not an exaggeration.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Suffering Orioles fan

No debate about crappy ownership. NelsonMuntz's points are also true. But having another team 40 miles away clearly has an impact as well. Yeah, Baltimore/DC will probably support two teams, though neither will likely be ultra-successful.

That said, I think NY could handle three teams at a similar level. At the very least, it could serve to even the playing field a bit revenue-wise. Would it seem like a penalty of sorts for the New York teams, yes. But that's essentially what the Nats are to Baltimore.

No debate about crappy ownership. NelsonMuntz's points are also true. But having another team 40 miles away clearly has an impact as well. Yeah, Baltimore/DC will probably support two teams, though neither will likely be ultra-successful.

That said, I think NY could handle three teams at a similar level. At the very least, it could serve to even the playing field a bit revenue-wise. Would it seem like a penalty of sorts for the New York teams, yes. But that's essentially what the Nats are to Baltimore.
    I just don't believe that a new team in the NYC area would really alter the balance of power. Yanks/Mets fans are pretty entrenched in their own teams and have been for nearly 60 years. DC needed a team because it was one of the fastest growing regions in the country. Young, professional transplants are exactly the type of people you build your fanbase around.

Hughes/Robertson '12. groovitude's Avatar

Hey guys... the NYC area has supported three teams in the past. It could potentially work again.

(Send the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, please. That'd be sweet.)

They played in RFK. I don't think it's fair to judge attendance considering that. Let's see what happens when they get their new stadium.

NYYF Legend

Re: The Baltimore SterOrioles Thread (merged)

Can we change the thread title to The Baltimore SterOrioles Thread?

Thread Information