+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 278 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 6949

Re: The Baltimore Orioles Thread (merged)

Baez, who they signed for 3 years for $19M, has elbow problems and sucked this year and might miss all of 2008.

Money won't solve their problems
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

NYYF Cy Young

The Baez injury just goes to show what bad luck the O's have had in 2007. All these devastating injuries to their pitching staff, along with losing an inordinate number of 1 run games, which is in large part a matter of bad luck.
    Too bad, the talent on the field in 2007 would normally have resulted in a better W-L record. The team would have finished about .500 in a typical year.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by bobby jr
    The Baez injury just goes to show what bad luck the O's have had in 2007. All these devastating injuries to their pitching staff, along with losing an inordinate number of 1 run games, which is in large part a matter of bad luck.
    Too bad, the talent on the field in 2007 would normally have resulted in a better W-L record. The team would have finished about .500 in a typical year.
    Part of doing your due dilligence when signing a player, is to consider their medical situation carefully. And injuries are not an excuse for poor play. Part of building a good team is building a team with depth. The Orioles couldn't absorb their injuries because they built a team that was prone to them in the first place, and didn't add enough depth behind the primary guys.

When you consistantly finish as one of the lesser teams in the majors, you should be able to build a farm system that provides that kind of depth, so don't try to use the money excuse for not being able to do so. Money is only one way to build a team. The Twins have been successfull doing it another way, and since the Orioles have finished below .500 for 9 straight years (10 if you count this season), you have no excuse for not having some depth to fall back on. Here is their AL East, AL and MLB standings for each year:

Code:
    Year   AL EAST   AL    MLB
    1998     4th     8th   16th
    1999     4th     8th   14th
    2000     4th     11th  20th
    2001     4th     13th  28th
    2002     4th     11th  24th
    2003     4th     10th  22nd
    2004     3rd     9th   18th
    2005     4th     10th  22nd
    2006     4th     12th  26th
    2007     4th     11th  27th
    Of course, 2007 is the current standings, but with so little time to go, I don't see much reason to think they'll finish significantly better than they are now.

With finishes like these, your team has had the opportunity to draft some of the best players available in the last decade, and yet here you are, tied for the second worst record in all of baseball. You have a money advantage over 20 teams in the league, and have had a draft position advantage over 16, 14, 20, 28, 24, 22, 18, 22, and 26 teams respectively (2007 doesn't count until that draft happens). That's an average drafting position of 9th over the last 9 years.

Your team's problem, as always, is poor management. There simply isn't a single plausible excuse for how awful they've been in the last decade. Why can't you face that, bobby?

Support your case right now.

Do you still think Daniel Cabrera could be the next Sandy Koufax?
    [B][I]Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.[/I][/B]

[URL="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&c_id=cws&readBoxes=true&venueID=&timeSubFrame=2006&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&sitSplit=&section1=null&subScope=teamCode&compare.y=9&sortByStat=OPS&compare.x=&box1=XXXX116539nya6&box2=XXXX120074bosD&box3=XXXX113679chaO&statSet1=1"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban Connection
    Support your case right now.

Do you still think Daniel Cabrera could be the next Sandy Koufax?
    Very unlikely that Daniel Cabrera will begin throwing lefthanded at this stage of his career.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    Very unlikely that Daniel Cabrera will begin throwing lefthanded at this stage of his career.
    Yeah, but that's only because the Orioles don't have the money to pay for a right/left brain swap operation.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Lucen
    Part of doing your due dilligence when signing a player, is to consider their medical situation carefully. And injuries are not an excuse for poor play. Part of building a good team is building a team with depth. The Orioles couldn't absorb their injuries because they built a team that was prone to them in the first place, and didn't add enough depth behind the primary guys.

When you consistantly finish as one of the lesser teams in the majors, you should be able to build a farm system that provides that kind of depth, so don't try to use the money excuse for not being able to do so. Money is only one way to build a team. The Twins have been successfull doing it another way, and since the Orioles have finished below .500 for 9 straight years (10 if you count this season), you have no excuse for not having some depth to fall back on. Here is their AL East, AL and MLB standings for each year:

Code:
    Of course, 2007 is the current standings, but with so little time to go, I don't see much reason to think they'll finish significantly better than they are now.

With finishes like these, your team has had the opportunity to draft some of the best players available in the last decade, and yet here you are, tied for the second worst record in all of baseball. You have a money advantage over 20 teams in the league, and have had a draft position advantage over 16, 14, 20, 28, 24, 22, 18, 22, and 26 teams respectively (2007 doesn't count until that draft happens). That's an average drafting position of 9th over the last 9 years.

Your team's problem, as always, is poor management. There simply isn't a single plausible excuse for how awful they've been in the last decade. Why can't you face that, bobby?
    Great post. Junior won't even acknowlege it.

NYYF Triple Crown

Code:
    I'll say this about the Orioles in the last decade. They're consistent in their crappy 4th place finishes.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1PaFan
    Great post. Junior won't even acknowlege it.
    I am really beginning to think Bobby, Jr. is one of those automated "bots" that submits a random message when something prompts it to.
    Life is good!

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Although the outcome of tonight's game is clearly up in the air (It's 2-0 Yanks in the 6th) it's really upsetting to see a "Major League" team like the Orioles just lay down and give up. As a whole, they are playing like they can't wait to go home...

I haven't seen two guys just completely give them selves up when they could slide into second. The first guy should have been safe. Payton, too, doesn't seem to want to be on the field. Earl Weaver would kick some butt.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

Baez just isn't that good. That was the typical example of overpaying for a reliever just because he has racked up saves. Good bullpens are not purchased on the open market, they are built from within.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain
    Although the outcome of tonight's game is clearly up in the air (It's 2-0 Yanks in the 6th) it's really upsetting to see a "Major League" team like the Orioles just lay down and give up. As a whole, they are playing like they can't wait to go home...

I haven't seen two guys just completely give them selves up when they could slide into second. The first guy should have been safe. Payton, too, doesn't seem to want to be on the field. Earl Weaver would kick some butt.
    Come on, give them a break.

Huff & Payton were clearly thinking about the payroll disparity in MLB distracting them from the task at hand.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain

I doubt that even with every player on the O's roster playing as hard as they possibly can that the series would have turned out differently. The Yankees are simply playing incredible baseball. Not much you can do when you are a poorly constructed team and you run into a team playing as well as the Yankees are.

Suffering Orioles fan

I doubt that even with every player on the O's roster playing as hard as they possibly can that the series would have turned out differently. The Yankees are simply playing incredible baseball. Not much you can do when you are a poorly constructed team and you run into a team playing as well as the Yankees are.
    You're right. It's a good team at the top of the game vs. a bad team at the bottom of its game. We needed a top-notch game from a pitcher, which we got from Burres. Yet that still wasn't enough. At least we were competitive in one of the three games.
    Is it possible to fire ownership?

NYYF Legend

Hey Junior!!!

The Jays CLINCHED the win for our bet. Now, it's just a matter of how much you OWE a Yankee Website!!!

I'll tell you what, Junior. I'm a good sport and I hope you are too. So, once I hear from Jim Frasch, the owner of this website, that you honored your word and paid him what you & Peter's O's lost in the bet, I will pay him Double what you lost in our bet.

As it stands right now, you owe this website $26. So, if the season ended right now, I will pay $52, also.

I sincerely hope you are a Man of your Word.

It really wasn't a fair bet on my part since I KNEW your Owner screwed you and the other fans of the fine City of Baltimore over YET AGAIN. Everybody here knew that the O's would stink up the AL East. AGAIN. Except you, apparently.

But anyway, pay up and I will too!

Here's to ya, Junior!!! May you learn from this!!!

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Standing in line at Disney today, there was an Oriole fan to my left and a Met fan in front of me complaining about how the Yanks "buy" their titles. First, no Met fan should complain and I'm wondering if Bobby took the family to Disney this week?
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

We haven't heard from Junior since last Sunday. I hope he's OK, man! I hope he's able to pay this website what he owes!

Quote Originally Posted by #1PaFan
    Hey Junior!!!

The Jays CLINCHED the win for our bet. Now, it's just a matter of how much you OWE a Yankee Website!!!

I'll tell you what, Junior. I'm a good sport and I hope you are too. So, once I hear from Jim Frasch, the owner of this website, that you honored your word and paid him what you & Peter's O's lost in the bet, I will pay him Double what you lost in our bet.

As it stands right now, you owe this website $26. So, if the season ended right now, I will pay $52, also.

I sincerely hope you are a Man of your Word.

It really wasn't a fair bet on my part since I KNEW your Owner screwed you and the other fans of the fine City of Baltimore over YET AGAIN. Everybody here knew that the O's would stink up the AL East. AGAIN. Except you, apparently.

But anyway, pay up and I will too!

Here's to ya, Junior!!! May you learn from this!!!
    So even the Yankees fans outspend the Orioles fans? That's unfair!
    [B][I]Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.[/I][/B]

[URL="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&c_id=cws&readBoxes=true&venueID=&timeSubFrame=2006&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&sitSplit=&section1=null&subScope=teamCode&compare.y=9&sortByStat=OPS&compare.x=&box1=XXXX116539nya6&box2=XXXX120074bosD&box3=XXXX113679chaO&statSet1=1"][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    I didn't know he was Jewish either

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi
    Rod Carew got in his ear. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows
    Rod Carew got in his ear. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Not according to Sammy Davis ( hey maaan, I don't sing heavy metal, I wear it )

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi
    I was going to throw in a little comment about his unreported conversion to Judaism, but I thought better of it and left it on the cutting room floor.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

NYYF Legend

Nice.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GoRocket
    I am really beginning to think Bobby, Jr. is one of those automated "bots" that submits a random message when something prompts it to.
    Naw...bots are right once in a while.

Thread Information