+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Dontrelle Willis - 20 Game Winner/Wonder

I am sooo happy for this 'kid'. Having watched him pitch 'live' & on tv here in So Florida, many times.
    What a refreshing change from some of the surly, egotiscal MLB pitchers we are used to seeing day/night in & out. This guy just loves to 'play' the game.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...sports-marlins

There was an article in the SunSentinel a couple of Sunday's ago @ 18 wins ..that he was poised to join the '12 Black Aces'...African American MLB pitchers who had 20W seasons. I'll try to find the article & post it.

Congratulations, Dontrelle!..

Here's the article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...ck=1&cset=true

"Get on my level, ho" True Yankee-ette13's Avatar

Re: Dontrelle Willis - 20 Game Winner/Wonder

Ah, he won #20! I was watching the Yanks on FSN today, so I didn't have the Marlins game on.

He used to irritate me, but he's grown on me. My cousin is a big fan. He's a lefty too and likes the lef kick.

Dontrelle's such a nice guy. Good for him. Any other season, he'd be the Cy winner.
    *I <3 Baseball*

2006=27

Quote Originally Posted by Gringaloca
    I am sooo happy for this 'kid'. Having watched him pitch 'live' & on tv here in So Florida, many times.
    What a refreshing change from some of the surly, egotiscal MLB pitchers we are used to seeing day/night in & out. This guy just loves to 'play' the game.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/b...sports-marlins

There was an article in the SunSentinel a couple of Sunday's ago @ 18 wins ..that he was poised to join the '12 Black Aces'...African American MLB pitchers who had 20W seasons. I'll try to find the article & post it.

Congratulations, Dontrelle!..

Here's the article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...ck=1&cset=true
    It's so cool that you've gotten to see him pitch so much. I love even watching him on TV. Congrats, Dontrelle!

Congrats to the D-Train!

NYYF Triple Crown

5 complete game shutouts this year... amazing!

NYYF Legend

I've seen D-Train pitch twice this year (once at Shea and once in Florida) and I'm happy he got to 20 wins -- which is the most wins for a Marlin pitcher in their short history.

Great young pitcher -- and he seems like a really great person too. Yay Dontrelle!

He is really really fun to watch, plus he can swing a mean bat too. Alot of people have been telling me he isnt destined for a long career because of his unusual motion and how inconsistent it is, I hope he can hold up and pitch for many many years to come.

Stare Down the Barrel Mezmerize's Avatar

Congrats Dontrelle, the baker's dozen to the Black Aces, a highly exclusive club! Cheers!
    [COLOR=black]You'll just say the worst of me with the hope they'll understand
    No, they know you're just a boy
    So grow up and be a man
    Little baby, kicking, you scream and whine
    Victims pay the price eventually[/COLOR]

Congrats to him! I love Dontrelle! He seems like such a great person and is super fun to watch!

NYYF Legend

I was really down on him at the beginning of this year, but he certainly has done exceptionally well.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Congratulations Dontrelle! The game could use more players who express such obvious joy while playing the baseball. I hope that lots of kids are watching.

NYYF Cy Young

Local Guy does good!!!!
    You have a begining and end, but how you live the middle is important.

My Nana 1919-2003

NYYF Legend

*bump*

Dontrelle hits a 2 run jack in the 6th ...against Houston..W/C rival..to ensure his 21st win!!.

Omg...this 'kid' is unbelievable!. C'mon Dontrelle...

NYYF Legend

Aw, that's great for Dontrelle -- especially in a huge, important game. Hope he can get that 21st win for the Marlins considering how huge this is for playoff implications.

I really really really love that kid. He's awesome. Can't wait to watch that highlight on BBTN later. DTrain has gotta be one of the nicest stories (and kids) in baseball.

*bump*

Dontrelle hits a 2 run jack in the 6th ...against Houston..W/C rival..to ensure his 21st win!!.

Omg...this 'kid' is unbelievable!. C'mon Dontrelle...
    Dontrelle rocks. That pretty much sums it up.

(Hey, each of our football teams did pretty good this week! Woo hoo! )

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

That's great for Dontrelle Willis. First ever 20-game winner in Florida Marlins history.

He's really fun to watch. One of the nicest players in baseball who likes to have fun and enjoy himself.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiKat

(Hey, each of our football teams did pretty good this week! Woo hoo! )
    Ya noticed that did ya?.. My 'boys' on top...all alone.. in the NFC North!..

ssshhhh ...don't get to loud, GL*.. You might just wake up 'da Bears'...

Seriously...the Marlins have 3 more games against Houston this week. And then the Phillies come to town this weekend. I have a scary feeling this WC NL race will go down to the last weekend.
    I already have tix for the Sunday, Oct 2nd, game vs the Braves. Hopefully, they'll have already locked the Div and 'laydown' Fri/Sat/Sunday..

NYYF Legend

Dontrell comes up HUGE tonight!...Wins # 21 and hits a 2 run dinger to help his cause!

With a possible 3 more starts left this season...WOW!...just WOW!...

Watching his Post Game interview on FSN FL right now. This "kid" is something special..

Dontrell comes up HUGE tonight!...Wins # 21 and hits a 2 run dinger to help his cause!

With a possible 3 more starts left this season...WOW!...just WOW!...

Watching his Post Game interview on FSN FL right now. This "kid" is something special..
    Yeah, he's an amazing all-round player. I love when pitchers provide their own run support. His BA is .259, his ERA 2.49. If you divide his ERA by 10, he has a higher BA than his ERA. "DH? We don't need no stinkin' DH!" He often gets overlooked in the NL Cy Young talk. At this point, it's a question of: do wins really matter, considering that they're a team stat as much as they are pitcher stats, or does domination on the mound matter more (i.e., Roger Clemens' insane ERA). Roger's ERA has been rising, though, and if it goes up much higher, I think the award goes to Chris Carpenter, who leads him in almost every other category. Most of all, Carpenter is an ironman: more complete games than any pitcher in baseball. I've been to a few of 'em .
    Studying for the USMLE Step 2 Exam, but still cheering hard for the Yankees.
    The reason Kei Igawa looked so good in Japan: [URL="http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html"]http://www.addictinggames.com/shockwavestadiumbaseball.html[/URL]

Released Outright

Watcha talkin' bout Willis? Guy is amazing. Seems like a great guy and has his own style. I'm a big fan!

Thread Information