+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Soriano a Twin?? (As in Minesota)

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MINNEAPOLIS -- According to a report in Sunday's Fort Worth Star Telegram, the Twins have claimed second baseman Alfonso Soriano off waivers and have until Monday to work out a trade.

Addicted Member

Re: Soriano a Twin?? (As in Minesota)

i love him
    "I think the good Lord is a Yankee." Mariano Rivera

He'd fit in well with Minnesota. True, his OBP, as we know, is terrible, but lgAVG SLG is .425, and Minnesota's is an abysmal .397. Soriano's .538 is probably higher than the combined SLG of the bottom third of the order.
    Oh you gonna mess with Farnsworth, he ain't no joke.

The Twins said that the claim was only to block him and that they have no intention of working out a trade.

The Rangers aren't giving Soriano to the Twins unless they can get Lohse/Mays and Liriano. Since the Twins have refused to give up Liriano, I doubt it's going to happen.

Also, I don't think Soriano would be the same player outside of a Ranger uniform. He's not the same hitter as he was in New York. As a Yankee, Soriano was consistently a .300 hitter with good power on the road. As a Ranger, he's a .241/.279/.409 road hitter (close to the same last year). There's always the chance that he could change back, but it would probably take a pretty big wakeup call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTXHorn
    Also, I don't think Soriano would be the same player outside of a Ranger uniform. He's not the same hitter as he was in New York. As a Yankee, Soriano was consistently a .300 hitter with good power on the road. As a Ranger, he's a .241/.279/.409 road hitter (close to the same last year). There's always the chance that he could change back, but it would probably take a pretty big wakeup call.
    People from Minnesota have a little nickname for the Metrodome. They call it the "Homerdome". Soriano will thrive there. His success at the Metrodome might give him more confidence to produce on the road.

Good point, but the Metrodome slightly favors hitters. His SLG #s wouldn't be as good as they were in Arlington, but they'd be much better than anything Minnesota's getting out of ANYONE in that lineup, never mind second base.
    Oh you gonna mess with Farnsworth, he ain't no joke.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting
    People from Minnesota have a little nickname for the Metrodome. They call it the "Homerdome". Soriano will thrive there. His success at the Metrodome might give him more confidence to produce on the road.
    I've heard it called the "Baggydome" too.

He's not the same hitter as he was in New York. As a Yankee, Soriano was consistently a .300 hitter with good power on the road.
    He hit .300 once. Soriano's the same hitter, I think the only thing that has changed is other team's approach to pitching to him. Arlington has masked his offensive drop-off a bit. He's still got a amazingly quick bat, and his amazingly bad approach at the plate.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

i doubt he's leaving texas this year
    In MO I Trust

Quote Originally Posted by 26 and counting
    People from Minnesota have a little nickname for the Metrodome. They call it the "Homerdome".
    They also call parking garages "ramps". I'd take anything Minnesotans say with a grain of salt.
    "America national sport is called baseballs. It very similar to our sport, shurik, where we take dogs, shoot them in a field and then have a party."
    - Borat Sagdiyev

NYYF Legend

When I saw the thread title, I thought at first that it meant there was ANOTHER Soriano out there somewhere ...

(I guess that's why it says "As in Minesota.")

NYYF Legend

I am already very concerned about the Twins. They have been playing very good ball, and have ridden all the way back into the race. If they were to add Soriano, they would be the favorite to win the Wild Card.

I can't imagine Carl Pohlad giving his OK to taking on Soriano's salary. This would absolutely stun me if it were anything other than a trade-blocking claim.
    "...it was blood, my blood, and it was coming from the sutures in my ankle. You’re either stupid or bitter if you think otherwise." --Curt Schilling on the Bloody Sock, 3/17/07

Deadline to trade him passed a few hours ago. IMO, the Twins claimed him so he can stay a Ranger just in case they can work something out this offseason.

Say no Minny....Soriano isn't a good player.

Thread Information