+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 161 1 2 3 4 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Mixed Martial Arts - UFC, PRIDE FC, etc.

If you're a huge mixed martial arts fan in the UFC, Pride FC, or other MMA competitions, you can discuss MMA here in this thread.

For UFC fans, you can catch UFC action and shows on Spike TV. For Pride FC fans, you can watch PRIDE on your cable box only on Fox Sports Net, or simply FSN.

I'm a huge fan of both UFC and PRIDE.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Re: Mixed Martial Arts - UFC, PRIDE FC, etc.

UFC 54 Boiling Point Results from Sherdog.com - Page 1

The Main Fights

Fight 1: George St. Pierre vs. Frank Trigg

Round 1:

They touch and come out circling, slapping jabs. Trigg comes out with a knee that nearly connects, again back to circling and St. Pierre nails Trigg with a stiff jab. Trigg goes for takedown and gsp stiffs him and rolls him over for the takedown. Georges in the mount, trying to land some shots on trigg. Trigg rolls, St. Pierre gets his back and locks his legs, trigg defenidng well, rolls back into gsps mount.

Trigg doing decent job of defending shots, eventaully works his way back to his feet, but as he gets up St. Pierre gets back again, almost has arm-triangle. trigg defens and rolls to his back once again, with gsp in his guard.

Georges mounts trigg EASILY and Trigg immediately rolls onto stomach, St. Pierre again has his back...trying to work his way into a position by slapping Trigg's head. Trigg rolls on back again, two big elbows to Trigg's face and he's really kicking his ass right now. Trigg has done nothing so far, all St. Pierre.

AGAIN St. Pierre gets his back,trigg tripods up to his feet with his head on the mat, gsp on his back locked in. Trigg goes down to all 4, defending the shots well again. Trigg tries to roll again, this time St. Pierre grabs his neck and sinks in a Rear-Naked Choke!!!

Georges St. Pierre wins via tapout due to a rear-naked choke at 4:09 of Round 1.

Fight 2: Diego Sanchez vs. Brian Gassaway

Round 1

Come out, no touch..circling feeling it out, Gassaway goes for punch, Diego ducks and goes for takedown, GB defends and pushes Sanchez up against the fence. They break and circle...good take down defense from BG. Again BG goes for punch, DS goes for TD, gets his leg and gets him down, BG fights to get up, DS gets a front choke, had it for a second, BG escapes and rolled onto his back to get out.

Diego has side mount, but BG has his arm through DSs leg, holding him off a bit. DS now gets full side control, working for postion, not throwing much at this point ...trying to get full mount. BG holding DS head close, not much action at this pooint...good job of holding on and tying up.

2 min to go in rd1, diego still in side mount, DS landing a few elbows to the body, not much damage. DS gest full mount, tries to open up but BG rolls, DS gets his back, back to mount...back to BGs back...back tomount! - trying to hammer amway, BG doesnt like it!

Many bombs reigning down from DS now!!

BG REVERSES and stands up!!!! Nice move, looiked like he was in real troule!!!

DS gets a single leg, BG has great balance, holding off the TD. DS finally gets the TD, has BG up against the fence in side control. Has a kimura, but lets it go to get to full mount, BG rolls again, DS nearly has a arm bar, horn sounds as he tries to crank it!

Nice round!!

DS wins round convincingly imo.

Round 2

Meet in the middle, DS looking for TD spot, NICE righ thand by BG lands on DS face... AGAIN Gassaway NAILS sanches as he comes in, it doesnt faze him as he gets BGs leg and takes him down. Diego jumps down into the mount, 4 mins left...uh oh.

DS showed a great chin twice, now has BG down and is in the mount, throwing some elbows. Nothing landed too solid yet, but continues to throw pucnes and elbows to BGs face..still in full mount. BG doing a decent job considering what we've see from DS before...but just as I type that DS turns it up and BG finally decides he's had enough f face shots..

Diego Sanchez wins via Submission (Tap-out due to Strikes) 1:56 of Round 2. Impressive win by Diego in his UFC PPV debut since winning the Ultimate Fighter Middleweight class.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

UFC 54 Boiling Point Results via Sherdog.com Page 2

Fight 3: Randy Couture vs. Mike VanArsdale

Round 1:

Touch gloves....mva with the jab, 1/2 combo, missed. Randy closes distance, mva goes for leg and misses, rc has mva in a near front choke, but doesnt have it fully. rc controlling mva, tries to swing around to his back, mva coutners and tries to stand up. rc tries to suplex him and mva counters. he spins out and now has rc's back, both stand ing against the fence...nice move.

rc in the clench with his back to teh fence, mva backs off and they both trade bombs, boht landing semi-hard shots. back to greco clench...mva TOSSES RC WITH JUDO toss!!!...rc counters and stands up, and TAKES MVAS back!! Holy ................, nice!

MVA stans up, rc has his side/back, with mva against he fence...rc trips mva and now has mount, but mva is laying on his side not his back. rc spins out to take mva in a frton choke position, throws a couple of knees to the shoulder (close to head). rc still holding mvas head, as mva is on all fourse face down. RC controlling mva via front headlock, still in same position, a few punches from rc but nothing definate or damaging.

20 secs to go and MVA stands up, nice move...they break and trhow some bombs, nothing connects as round ends.

Edge to RC imo.

Round 2:

Again mva stars with jab 1/2 combo, again misses. rc thorws hook and connects, goes for the kill and mva drops down for leg. rc sprawls and now has mva on all fours again with face to mat, controlling his upper body...mvas legs pinned against the fence with face to mat and on all fours. looks liike rc is trying to get a choke, but doesnt have it imo.

he gives it up, goes for knees to shoulder again..now he tripods up and treis to throw some shots, mva takes avdvantage and stands up briefly, rc ducks and takes mva down again. RC now in semi-seide control as mva is on all fours face down again. mva stands up, picks rcs leg but randy shows good balance and defens. tehy break, and stand up circling again.

mva nearly connects on a big hook, they clench near feance and mva nearly connects on a back-off punch move. after a brief screamble on the ground, they stand with randy having both underhooks on mva and has him pinned standing against fence. rc goes for td, good defence from mva, randy drops the underhooks down to the legs to try to pull his legs. he succeeeds..

mva on his butt with legs extended, rc on top of him but not doing anything. mva stands up (impressive at doing that)..and herb dean breaks them. boht appear to be very tired.

20 secs to go and they re circling, mva again with jabs. randy tries for left hook, barely misses and they engage as horn sounds.

rc with edge due to ring control, no real damage in that round.

Round 3:

mva looks really winded, hunched over with hands on knees.

touch gloves and mva comes out with traight right, left/right combo..misses again. mva looks realy tired, randy POUNCES on him with midesction takedown, rc looks prety fresh to me. mva drops down again to all fours., randy goes for front choke again, this time it sinks in!!!

Randy "The Natural" Couture wins via tapout due to front choke (almost like a arm triangle from the top, whats the word for that?) 1:00 into round 3.

Fight 4: Tim Sylvia vs. Tre Telligman

Round 1:

Touch, both circling, looking for opening.Tim goes for kick, tre coutners with straight shot, barely misses. Tre goes for another looking overhand, glances off. They clinch after a missed shot by tt, in center of cage ...they break and again resume the standing fight.

TS yet to land anything of significance, looks to be getting his measure, tt more agressive to this point...TS looking for coutner punches. More circling, crowd getting a bit restless, but both fighters showing respect for each other.

2 mins to go and tim throwing some leg kicks to the inside of tts leading leg, now tt thrwing a straight shot and a knee combo, nothin' solid. TT looks pretty good against the long reach, not easy to get inside of it but hes doing it to the body and sometimes the head.

1 min to go, even round with edge to TT due to agressiveness. Jab by TS coutnered by right hand from TT, glancing. Left hook by TT, bllocked by TS, more circling...20 secs to go. Pretty uneventful first round, TT gets edge from agression.

HOLY (Bleep)!!!!! TIM SYLVIA NAILS HIM AT THE END OF THE FIRST ROUND!

Sylvia winner by KTFO...COMPLETE KTFO, high kick..at 5:00 of Round 1.

Fight 5 Light Heavyweight Championship Fight: Jeremy Horn vs. Chuck Liddell

Come out and touch gloves..

Circling to start out, horn with some jabs and leg kicks...chuck looking to counter. nice inside kick by chuck. 1 min gone and nothing damaging by either. Horn looks comfortable standing, but appears to be looking for a way to take chuck down.

3 mins to go, still standing, chuck yet to really unload full force, jeremy still looking for an opportunity. Uppercut try by chuck, missed..nice show of respect by both guys.

1 min of circling, crowd chants chuck, chuck as we come to 2mins left in the round...nothing happeing, nice right hadn by CHUCK!~!!! HORN GOES DOWN, CHUCK POUNCES AND TRIES TO FINISH! HORN Recovers, and stands up as chucks WAVES him up. FIRST time horn has been down!! Still wobbly, CHuck trying to finish the fight standing, horn gets tagged slightly again and drops down trying to invite chuck to the gruond...chuck doesn't fall for it and backs off. 40 secs to go and horn has recovered, chuck has taken control of the fight but we have seen the fortitude we've come to expect form horn.

horn again drops to the ground after a sprawl from chuck,,..as he gets up chuck tries a spinning kick, but horn catches it as the bell sounds.

Chuck dominated Round 2 taking down Horn again.

Round 3:

More circling, 2 mins worth of it in rd3...Horn doesnt look like he knows what to do now, he cant take chuck down and he's getting rocked on the feet. 3 mins to go rd3 and nothing has happened, chuck is wating for horn to make a move, and why not...he's killing him in the counter punching.

1:30 min to go rd3, one knockdown for chuck in each of the first two, horn seems more cautious this round...but he's still the one pushing the fight as chuck backs up. Nothing at all happeing this round, as horn just pushes chuck back as liddell looks for some countershot openings -none have come so far.

30 secs to go, nothing happening...chuck finally goes for front kick and lands, then a spinning kick that misses, nice right hand by horn and chuck tries to coutner but misses. rd3 virtually a draw.

Round 4:

Both guys seem content to stand at this point, either that or Horn has given up the will to take chuck down. Chuck peppers him with combo, horn absorbs it and continues to try to stand with chuck. About a minute worth of circling takes it to 3min left in rd4, still no leader in this round.

Horn gets NAILED again, goes down and looks to be in real trouble as he does want to continue! Tells the ref something..and Big John McCarthy stops the fight!!!

Looks like Chuck either broke horn's eye socket or he just couldn't see, he said something to John and he stopped the fight.

Liddell wins via tko (ref stoppage due to request from Horn) 4th round.

UFC 54 Preliminary Bouts

Preliminary Bouts:

- James Irvin (206 lbs) def. Terry Martin (206 lbs) via KO at 9 seconds of round 2. Irvin knocked Martin out with a flying knee.

- Trevor Prangley (184.5 lbs) def. Travis Lutter (186 lbs) via unanimous decision after 3 rounds.

- Matt Lindland (185.5 lbs) def. Joe Doerksen (185.5 lbs) via unanimous decision after 3 rounds. Lindland said he wanted to fight Rich Franklin for the middleweight title in December.

I watch UFC sometimes, I saw the finals of the Ultimate Fighter, with that great match between Forrest Griffin & Stefan Bonnar. I like a lot of the old school UFC though, with Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Oleg Taktarov, Tank Abbott, Kimo, etc..

Not sure if Broadway mentioned this -- but just to give people a heads-up if they are interested, Pride will be airing for the first time in America on FSN tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

Also, The Ultimate Fighter, which is UFC's reality show, begins tomorrow night at 11 p.m. ET on Spike TV.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic
    Not sure if Broadway mentioned this -- but just to give people a heads-up if they are interested, Pride will be airing for the first time in America on FSN tonight at 9 p.m. ET.

Also, The Ultimate Fighter, which is UFC's reality show, begins tomorrow night at 11 p.m. ET on Spike TV.
    What are the differences between Pride, UFC and K1? I'm looking forward to the Pride show tonight, is this a one time deal or is Fox going to have Pride shows regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    What are the differences between Pride, UFC and K1? I'm looking forward to the Pride show tonight, is this a one time deal or is Fox going to have Pride shows regularly?

Not sure if Pride is going to be shown regularly. I think they may show it regularly because they are probably going to try and compete with the UFC in America. Pride is huge in Japan. They draw massive audiences for their shows.

Anyway, Pride is a lot like UFC, except they fight in a boxing ring as opposed to an octagon. There's lots of punching, kicking, submission holds, etc. A lot of people think the top Pridge fighters are the best in the world.

K1 is primarily boxing, although some K1 fighters do throw in a kick or two from time-to-time.

And UFC, (which you have probably seen?), is a lot like pride -- kicking, punching, elbows, submissions, etc.

Thanks for reminding me about it. I forgot to post it.

Not sure if Pride is going to be shown regularly. I think they may show it regularly because they are probably going to try and compete with the UFC in America. Pride is huge in Japan. They draw massive audiences for their shows.

Anyway, Pride is a lot like UFC, except they fight in a boxing ring as opposed to an octagon. There's lots of punching, kicking, submission holds, etc. A lot of people think the top Pridge fighters are the best in the world.

K1 is primarily boxing, although some K1 fighters do throw in a kick or two from time-to-time.

And UFC, (which you have probably seen?), is a lot like pride -- kicking, punching, elbows, submissions, etc.
    Pride FC is definitely huge in Japan. There are some UFC Fighters in PRIDE FC right now including "The Phenom" Vitor Belfort and "New York Bad Ass" Phil Baroni. Also, Ken Shamrock and "The Iceman" Chuck Liddell also fought in PRIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by 46Mattingly23
    I watch UFC sometimes, I saw the finals of the Ultimate Fighter, with that great match between Forrest Griffin & Stefan Bonnar. I like a lot of the old school UFC though, with Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Oleg Taktarov, Tank Abbott, Kimo, etc..
    I also liked the old school UFC. I like to see the rematch between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar in a UFC PPV someday.

UFC and Pride have similar rules but kicking a downed opponent to the head is allowed in Pride but not in UFC. Elbowing a downed opponent is not allowed in Pride but is allowed in UFC.

I have a lot of favorite PRIDE FC fighters including Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic , Pedro Rizzo, Phil Baroni, the Gracie Family, Chuck Liddell, and Fedor Emelianenko.

As a reminder for MMA fans:

PRIDE FC Presents Final Conflict 2005 PPV

Fight Card

The Semi-Finals and Finals of the Middleweight Tournament

Wanderlei Silva (Brazil) vs. Ricardo Arona (Brazil)
    Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (Brazil) vs. Alistair Overeem (Holland)
    Winner Silva/Arona vs. Winner Rua/Overeem

And finally the Main Event: Heavyweight Championship Match

Fedor Emelianenko (Russia) vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (Croatia)
    (Champion) (Challenger)

Additional Matches

David "Tank" Abbott (USA) vs. Hidehiko Yoshida (Japan)
    Igor Vovchanchyn (Ukraine) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (Japan)
    Fabricio Werdum (Brazil/Spain) vs. Roman Zentsov (Russia)

PPV Premiere Date: Sunday, August 28th, 2005

Premiere Time: 9:00 pm EST, 6:00 pm PST
    Count Down show: 8:30 pm EST, 5:30 pm PST

Venue: Saitama Super Arena

I saw part of the Pride earlier tonight on FSN. Chuck Liddell lost and some Brazilian guy KO some Japanese guy.

Is Bob Sapp good at anything?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rock

Is Bob Sapp good at anything?
    No, he is a horrible fighter. He actually, IMO, has a much better chance in Pride when he can take people down and ground and pound them.

Personally, I am a big Pride fan but haven't watched as of late.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

A MMA thread? Awesome

Im a big MMA fan, I got into it about two years ago after buying UFC 40 on DVD. Snowballed from there. Ive got hold of almost all the UFCs and Pride shows now (except the recent Bushidos). I dont think much of K1..

I dont know what I prefere between Pride and UFC.. Pride has less atmosphere, but more respect from the crowd (they rarely boo when theres a lack of action) but all the major talent seem to be attracted to Pride, for example Mirko Cro Cop, Fedor Emeilenko, the Noguera brothers and Vanderlei Silva. The UFC is on a crest of a wave after The Ultimate Fighter's success.. and it seems like they are making some really good decisions at the moment..

They aired UFC54 on Bravo over here in the UK last night (we get it for free!) and it was a great event. That flying knee that James Irving hit was just sick.. Loved the Frank Trigg vs George St Pierre fight.. or should that be called the St Pierre clinic? Tim Sylvia's knockout of Tra Telligman was insane and I couldnt believe how long Jeremy Horn lasted against Chuck Liddell. I have to give props to "Big" John McCarthy for using excellent judgement and for not stopping the fight too early when the Iceman landed those bombs.

Cheers BroadwayBomber for starting this thread. I love discussing MMA!

Did anyone see the re-match between Hughes and Trigg last night that was shown on FSN?

Man, Hughes is one tough guy. I still can't believe he recovered the way he did. I also love his slamming takedowns.

Anyway, Broadway, who do you think is going to win - Fedor or Cro Cop?

Quote Originally Posted by danvitale

I dont know what I prefere between Pride and UFC.. Pride has less atmosphere, but more respect from the crowd (they rarely boo when theres a lack of action)

This is one aspect of the UFC that does bother me. The crowd, at times, comes off like a bunch neanderthals. Some of the booing when there is a lack of action can be a bit embarassing.

Did anyone see the re-match between Hughes and Trigg last night that was shown on FSN?

Man, Hughes is one tough guy. I still can't believe he recovered the way he did. I also love his slamming takedowns.

Anyway, Broadway, who do you think is going to win - Fedor or Cro Cop?
    Actually, the rematch between Matt Hughes and Frank Trigg was on UFC Unleashed on Spike TV. I like Matt Hughes, the strongest 170 lb. fighter in MMA history.

Even though, Cro Cop has the deadliest kick in MMA, I pick Fedor to win.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 Synopsis from The Ultimate Fighter Website:

Eighteen of the best Mixed Martial Arts fighters, nine Heavyweights and nine Welterweights, have come from around the world to Las Vegas with one dream - to be named the Ultimate Fighter and to be given a contract in the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization.. Season II of the wildly popular series kicks off Monday, August 22 at 11:00pm ET/PT. Nearly two million viewers tuned in each week to Season One which ran earlier this year from January to April on Monday nights.

During the thirty-eight day competition, two world-renowned UFC® champions, Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin, will train the fighters. The men will endure a grueling regimen of jiu-jitsu, judo, Muay Thai, karate, boxing and wrestling. The intense competition between the fighters will continue after they leave the gym - at the Ultimate Fighter House. These warriors will be forced to live with each other, knowing that any day they could be forced to fight each other in the UFC Octagon.

There will be two teams and in every episode each team will compete in a physical challenge to determine who will have to fight. Legendary UFC Champion and Season One coach Randy Couture will design these challenges. They will combine old school training techniques with tests of brute strength.

Once the opponents are chosen, the fight is on. They will train, weigh in and then face off in three five-minute rounds.

For the finale on Saturday, November 5, the four semi-finalists will fight in a LIVE television broadcast with a location to be determined. In the end, one welterweight and one heavyweight will be crowned the new Ultimate Fighter.

Follow the action of the Ultimate Fighter 2 on www.theultimatefighter.tv and at www.spiketv.com.

I wonder if FSN can make a reality TV show similar to the Ultimate Fighter, but for PRIDE FC.

The Ultimate Fighter 2 - Week 1 Episode Summary via SpikeTV.com

The Ultimate Fighter is back and this time it’s the heavyweights and welterweights. Eighteen of the world’s toughest Mixed Martial Artists arrive in Las Vegas to compete for two contracts with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Coached by UFC World Champions, Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin, the two teams will battle each other in the Octagon to see who survives to become the Ultimate Fighter.

Coaches Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin put the fighters through a brutal workout, testing their boxing, wrestling and Jujitsu skills as well as evaluating their overall athletic conditioning. The fighters struggle to complete the session and leave the gym totally exhausted. Some of them carry cuts from boxing and other war wounds. Heavyweight Kerry Schall twists his knee and is taken away in an ambulance. At the hospital, a doctor examines Kerry Schall’s knee and tells him it isn’t broken. But he will need to see an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI to get his knee fully diagnosed.

Eli Joslin, who struggled through the first day of evaluation, complains to the others that he’s not feeling well and is having serious doubts about staying in the competition. He asks to meet with Dana White and the coaches to talk about his situation. They tell him he shouldn’t walk away from this opportunity. They encourage him to hang in there and give it a shot.

Later, Eli gathers all of the fighters in the house to tell them he’s leaving the show. He says it’s just not for him, and his decision is final. To the disgust of many of the fighters, Eli leaves the show.

The results of Kerry’s MRI have come in and he has torn the cartilage in his knee. He needs surgery and is eliminated from the competition.

Dana surveys the fighters and calls out Kenny Stevens as the weak link in his weight class. Dana tells Kenny he’s willing to give him an opportunity to fight for a chance to stay in the competition. Kenny chooses to fight Sammy Morgan. They immediately weigh-in and it’s determined that Kenny has to cut 20 pounds to be on weight for his fight.

Kenny’s teammates and coach stick by his side and help him through a painful night of trying to sweat off those 20 pounds. Kenny falters somewhat during the weight cutting, but ends up goes to bed on target for the weigh-in. In the morning Kenny resumes his weight cutting with Rich, confident he’ll make it. But during his final stretch in the sauna he tells Rich he can’t take it anymore and quits with just a few pounds to go. Rich is bitterly disappointed that Kenny lacks the mental strength to hang in there and make weight for the fight.

The other fighters arrive at the UFC Training Center for the weigh-in. Dana White has Kenny explain his reasons for quitting to the other fighters then sends him home.

The Ultmate Fighter 2 - Week 1 Broadway's Post-Mortem

Whoa Whoa Whoa. These are the best 18 unsigned MMA fighters? They already bitched, moaned, and complained about the training. This training is not easy as it looks, folks. They didn't watch the first season of the Ultimate Fighter and figured out how brutal the training was. Dana White said that Jason Thacker, who was picked on a lot, had a lot of heart then any of the 18 fighters. Had a lot of heart? Dana, Jason Thacker didn't even come prepared. At least, Jason Thacker was eliminated via team challenge.

I wish the coaches give out the speeches instead of Dana. He dropped a lot of F bombs in his speech.

The cast is terrible. How lame. Come on guys suck it up. Eli Joslin had to quit because of the cameras? Man, how the (bleep) can you get signed up for the show and have all this going for you then bitch out. Even if you cant handle it just hold it in and cry yourself to sleep and fight it out.

Another guy, Kenny Stevens, because of weight problems. Come on, a lot of guys including Rich 'Ace' Franklin were pulling for him to make weight and he quit. What a pathetic decision.

Kerry Schall had to leave the show because of his knee injury. Good move by the show to bring another heavyweight on board.

Didnt Bobby Southworth (spelling?) have to cut over 20lbs to make weight for one of his TUF1 fights?

I'll have to start downloading the episodes. We wont get TUF2 here for a few months at least.

Thread Information