+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Negro League photos

I'll try getting more later on. This is just a start. Same Brooklyn fan supplying all my pix.

Spectacular 19th century relic is a Negro League studio photo of the team in full uniform with equipment. Contrast is exceptional, as is the quality of the photo. On the mount below the photo is written the names of each player. At center is their white manager, Barker. Most intriguing is the lighting in the studio shot, turned way up onto their complexions, giving their skin a white glow.

1920 Negro Leagues formed with 19 teams:

Negro National League 1920-31
    Southern Negro League 1920
    Eastern Colored League 1923-28
    Negro Southern League 1926, 32, 45
    American Negro League 1929
    East-West League 1932
    Negro National League 1933-48
    Negro American League 1937-60

Louis Santop

(from above photo)

Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Re: Negro League photos

Original 1903 team photo of the Dorpian baseball team. This club was way ahead of its time, as they boasted an integrated line up, including black player Phil Bradley. Bradley was voted 1 of 2 best Negro players of all time by the Society for American Baseball Research. His Negro League playing days lasted from 1905-1927 and he played on the Brooklyn Royal Giants, Lincoln Giants, Pittsburgh Colored Stars, Stars of Buffalo, Cuban Giants, Philadelphia Giants, & Pop Walkins Stars. This was an exceptional team for the times - Bradley is pictured sitting in front with teammate behind him touching his shoulder. Very unusual display of tolerance and support of their black player. This was only possible in the minor leagues, as the professional baseball color line was not broken until 1946.

Rare original photo of the 1943 Homestead Grays World Champions, the first of nine consecutive Grays teams to win the Negro National League pennant includes Josh Gibson. The normally seen team photo of the 1943 Grays does not show Josh Gibson, as he was in a mental hospital in Washington, D.C. at this time. This is the only one known to show Josh in the image. This mental hospital was a major factor in contributing to the fact that Gibson was not chosen for the white Major Leagues. Team lineup includes Dan Bankhead, Hank Thompson, Ray Brown, Cool Papa Bell, Buck Leonard, and more.

Team photo of the Brooklyn Eagles taken during their 1935 Spring Training in Jacksonville features Leon Day, Terris McDuffie, Bill Jackman, and twelve others.

RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

LaMott Giants- 1920s

Grand turn of the century collection Black Americana trading cards with baseball theme. Folk Art meets the ball field featuring all the stereotypes of the day.

WEBSTER McDONALD- With his underhand delivery, played a major part in the 1926 and 1927 World Championship won by the Chicago American Giants. Referred to as "56 Varieties" because of his talent of mixing pitches, he went 14-9 in 1926 and 10-5 in 1927. McDonald joined the team in 1925 and left after the 1927 season. He returned again in 1929 and stayed for two seasons. He is shown here signing a petition circulated by the New York Daily Worker in 1939, to end segregation in baseball.

Thank you for sharing a part of baseball's rich--and somewhat ignored--legacy.

NYYF Legend

Very intersting!
    Crush it with your mind vice.

Wow. Incredible photos and info, most of which I've never seen. Thanks for sharing, Brad!

These are amazing photos indeed. Anyone have more?
    [b][url="http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/reader/nyc.php"]New York Sports Headlines[/url][/b] page - even if it is on a Boston page, it's still a great resource.

NYYF Legend

Great pictures
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Thanks, everyone, for noticing. My Brooklyn Dodger friend (who's now finally a friend after my finally getting on his good side) was happy to provide them.

I have no idea how someone scours the Web and can find such great pix on so many teams, including ones from the very early 1900s, but I always said I'd share them.

As to the text accompanying those pix, I have no links, so I'm just taking the honesty of my Brooklyn friend, who'd lived around the corner from Ebbets Field when he was a kid, and considered it his personal playground as well as a baseball cathedral.

I'm just happy that everyone likes them. I'll look for more later on.

Forum Regular

Wow, cool pictures; thanks.

RADCLIFFE AND TAYLOR | Pictured in a game above against the Memphis Red Sox are Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe, a local beauty queen, and "Candy" Jim Taylor. Taylor, one of the four Taylor brothers that played in the Negro Leagues, was a third baseman with the Chicago American Giants in 1912 and 1913, batting clean up his first season there. Taylor would return to the team in 1937 as manager, the role in which he gained his greatest fame. Taylor would fill this role for the 1937-39, 1941-42, and 1945-47 seasons. The Windy City's Brookmont Hotel, at 3953 South Michigan, housed Taylor's candy store. A true fashion plate, Taylor sometimes wore spats over his baseball shoes while in uniform.

Although he played for several teams during his career, Alexander "Alec" Radcliffe is best remembered as the slugging third baseman for the Chicago American Giants from 1936-39, 1941-44, and again in 1949. With his 40-ounce bat, Radcliffe set the record for most at bats and hits in the East-West All-Star game, and finished second behind Buck Leonard in RBIs. Radcliffe also played for the Chicago Giants and Cole's American Giants. After retiring from baseball, Radcliffe owned and ran a bar in Chicago. One of the bartenders was his brother, Double Duty. Some historians consider Alec to be the best third baseman to play in the Negro American League.

COOL PAPA" BELL | Shown in a 1942 Chicago American Giants uniform is Hall of Fame member James "Cool Papa" Bell. It was a former American Giant, Big Bill Gatewood, who gave him the famous flyer his nickname. While Gatewood was managing the St. Louis Stars, the rookie, Bell, who was a pitcher then, calmly struck out Oscar Charleston. Gatewood, stories say, commented that Bell was "one cool papa." This was Bell's only year with Chicago.

The first black coach in the major leagues was John "Buck" O'Neil of the Chicago Cubs. Signed by Chicago as a scout in 1956, O'Neil, who managed the famed Kansas City Monarchs from 1948 to 1955, made major league history in 1962 when he donned his coach's uniform. O'Neil is currently a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame's Veterans Committee.

After switching to second base in 1953, Gene Baker joined Ernie Banks to form the first black "keystone combination" in major league history. Pictured here on September 14, 1953, Manager Phil Cavaretta (center) gives instruction to outfielder Bob Talbot (far left), Baker, Banks, and Bill Moisan (far right). Baker played with the Cubs until partially into the 1957 season when he was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Banks remained with the Cubs throughout his entire career.

Ernie Banks, Satchel Paige- 1953

This photo, taken at Bennett Park in 1909, shows Detroit Tiger George Mullin with "Li'l Rastus" and an unidentified Tiger player. Despite the fact that Detroit Tiger (and vocal racist) Ty Cobb displiked playing in exhibition games against Negro League players, Li'l Rastus was his mascot. Most likely this comes from the belief that rubbing the head of an African-American brought good luck.

THE 1920 STARS | One of the charter member teams of the Negro National League was the Detroit Stars. Pictured here is the 1920 team. They are as follows, from left to right: (front row) unidentified, William Force, Orville Riggins, and unidentified; (middle row) Buck Hewitt, Pete Hill, Tenny Blount (owner), Jimmy Lyons, and Andy Cooper; (back row) Bill Holland, Edgar Wesley, Bruce Petway, Charlie Harper, Bill Gatewood, unidentified, and unidentified.

Pictured are members of the 1934 Kansas City Monarchs team. They are, from left to right, Newt Allen, T.J. Young, Turkey Stearnes, Eddie Dwight, Dink Mothell, and Wilber "Bullet" Rogan. That year the Monarchs took part in a national semi-pro Denver Post tournament, the first appearance of a black team in the tournament. The powerful Monarchs lost to the House of David team, which featured Satchel Paige. Stearnes was back with the American Giants in 1935. He led the league in hitting with a .430 average and played in the all-star game. Back with the Detroit Stars in 1937, he was selected to the East-West squad again, marking the only time a Detroit Star appeared in an East-West game. From 1938 until 1941, Stearnes played with the Kansas City Monarchs, making the last of five all-star appearances in 1939.

Detroit native [and championship heavyweight] Joe Louis considered at one time buying his own Negro League franchise using Detroit as its home base. Realizing that some owners in the league were reputed to have been involved in questionable dealings, Louis did not pursue this dream. Instead he formed the Brown Bombers softball team, on which he played first base. He cuddled kids between innings.

HENRY KIMBRO | [Briggs] Stadium was used as a neutral site for Negro League games in the 1940s. It was during this period that Baltimore Elite Giants outfielder Henry "Jumbo" Kimbro (pictured crossing the plate) hit a home run out of the stadium.

Shown here are Charles "Red" House (left) with Jackie Robinson (middle) and an unidentified player in 1947. House, a third baseman, played for the Detroit Stars in 1937 and 1941, and the Detroit Wolves in 1947. The Wolves played at Dequindre Park, two blocks north of Davison. House was a good defensive hot corner man and an average hitter at the plate. Red also spent part of 1941 with the Detroit Black Sox. Jackie Robinson was making a guest appearance at second base on behalf of Wolves manager Dizzy Dismukes, who assisted Robinson in signing a Brooklyn Dodger contract in 1945.

For the upcoming 1958 season, entrepreneur Ted Rasberry formed a new team and annointed legendary Harlem Globetrotter Reese "Goose" Tatum as pseudo-owner. That year, Rasberry changed the name of the team from the Stars to the Clowns and added legendary baseball clown Prince Joe Henry to perform stunts with Tatum. The experiment apparently did not yield the desired result, as the team reverted to its original name the next season.

In the hot summer heat, Joe Henry dons tails and top hat to entertain the fans. He painted his shoes red and sometimes turned his back to the pitcher during the windup. Recalling his days in the league he said, "As I look back, it was the best experience I ever had in my life ... the Negro Leagues took me to just about every state in the country and Canada. I had an offer from Goose Tatum to go with him to Europe, but it was across the water and I didn't like to fly.

Two of baseball's greatest pitchers are captured in this wonderful photo. Satchel Paige, ace hurler of the New York Black Yankees is seen warming up at Yankee Stadium as retired Hall of Fame great Grover Alexander observes his form. Dated 5/11/41.

Two of baseball's greatest pitchers are captured in this wonderful photo. Satchel Paige, ace hurler of the New York Black Yankees is seen warming up at Yankee Stadium as retired Hall of Fame great Grover Alexander observes his form. Dated 5/11/41.

vintage photographs showing the 1942 Negro National League champions the Homestead Grays. 1) "Infield 1942" features Sam Bankhead, Howard Easterling, Buck Leonard, Jud Wilson, Jim Williams and Lick Carlisle all wearing their classic Grays uniforms. . 2) "Heavy Hitters, 1942" shows Howard Easterling, Sam Bankhead, Jim Williams and the great Josh Gibson all holding bats on their shoulders. 3) Another titled "Heavy Hitters 1942" features David Whatley, Jerry Benjamin and Buck Leonard holding their bats on the field. 4) "Outfield 1942" shows player-manager Vic Harris, David Whatley and Jerry Benjamin wearing their Grays jerseys and holding their gloves. 5) "Pitchers 1942" shows six Grays hurlers including J.C. Hamilton, Raymond Brown, Ray Parlow and Johnny Wright.

The 1930 Homestead Grays, taken during spring training. Includes HOFers Smokey Joe Williams (top, 4th from right), Oscar Charleston (bottom, far right), and player-manager Judy Johnson (top, 2nd from right), as well as team owner Cum Posey (top, far right). For those wondering, Josh Gibson did not join the team until late season when catcher Buck Ewing was injured.

Pop Lloyd- 1913

In the late '20s, the Santa Clara team dominated the Cuban League, in no small part due to the whipsaw arm of Satchel Paige, who had yet to achieve his real fame (the same could be said of his batterymate, a young man named Josh Gibson), but was overpowering. The team also had Cuban greats Alejandro Oms and Lazaro Salazar. This classic photo of the young Paige during that stint is one of the very rarest of Paige images.

Long before he would become the Giants' Say Hey Kid, future Hall of Famer Willie Mays played with the Chatanooga Choo-Choos in 1946 briefly before he joined the Negro League Black Barons. Offered is Willie Mays' earliest known photo with an organized team in existence. Posing with the team he played with immediately after graduating high school, Mays is shown kneeling in the front row (middle) with his glove resting on his knee.

John Leftwich.

Photo of the 1913 Homestead Grays. Cumberland Posey is the third man from the left, on the second row. At this time he was the team's captain and the team manager.

1925 Colored World Series complimentary ticket. Issued to Lincoln Giants player Arthur Chambers for a game played between the Hilldale Daisies and Kansas City Monarchs on October 8, 1925 at baker Bowl in Philadelphia. The 1925 Series was a rematch between the two early Negro League powerhouses with Hilldale prevailing by 5 games to 1. Players that participated in the Series included Mackey, Johnson, Mendez, and Santop.

1944 Washington Homestead Grays:

Front L to Right: Jelly Jackson, Ray Battle, Edward Robinson, Sam Bankhead, Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, Dave Hoskins, Jerry Benjamin, and Cool Papa Bell.

1943 NEGRO BLACK MARINES BASEBALL TEAM PHOTO

Negro Marines prepare for action. Breaking a tradition of 167 years, the U.S. Marine Corps started enlisting Negroes on June 1, 1942. The first class of 1,200 Negro volunteers began their training three months later as members of the 51st Composite Defense Battalion at Montford Point, a section of the 200 square mile Marine Base, Camp Lejeune, at New River, North Carolina. Evidence of the lack of racial friction may be seen in the sports program at the camp. On the baseball team Negro enlistees and white non-com officers are teammates. Camp Lejeune has its own baseball league, with the Montford Point team a strong contender for championship honors.

Buck Leonard- 1942

Negro National League's Chicago American Giants baseball team players- 1911

Negro National League's Chicago American Giants baseball player Jones- 1911

Chicago Union Giants- 1905

Johnson, Chicago Union Giants- 1905

Lytle, Chicago Union Giants , pitching from the mound- 1905

Lytle, Chicago Union Giants- 1905

Rose, Chicago Union Giants- 1905

Gatewood, Leland Giants- 1909

Payne, Leland Giants- 1909

Detroit Stars' Norman "Turkey" Stearnes, shown here in 1971 with his grandson, Tony.

1939 Homestead Grays in front of their team bus.
    Back row: Josh Gibson, Edsall Walker, David Whatley, Roy Welmaker, Arnold Waite, Henry Spearman, Raymond Brown, James Williams, Robert Gaston, Roy Partlow.
    Front row: Jerry Benjamin, Speck Roberts, Lewis Dula, Vic Harris, Buck Leonard, Sam Bankhead, Jelly Jackson.

July 31, 1955.
    Pitching legend Satchel Paige demonstrates his grip prior to the Negro League All-Star game in Comiskey Park. He was called the "best and fastest pitcher" by Joe DiMaggio.

Photo of Josh Gibson in his Santurce uniform for a Budweiser beer promotion -- a sight that never would have been seen back home in the States. The late-'30s shot of the King of the Negro Leagues standing behind a case of the "King of Bottled Beer" being held by 2 guys in suits made for a perfect ad strategy, but only abroad since black athletes were kept far away from the commercial spotlight in their own country. Gibson's hero status on the island, however, gave Budweiser no qualms about using him there, and he was clearly happy to go along with it, perhaps figuring he'd be getting a few cases of Bud as compensation. Photo was apparently used as is for an ad, as the "Santurce" on his shirt and the Bud case has been darkened so as to show up clearly in a newpspaper. Given Josh's smile and electric personality, how idiotic was it that he wasn't used in this manner in his own country?

Josh Gibson- 1939

Josh Gibson- 1939

Josh Gibson , with two Santurce teammates and the team's batboy in 1939, the 1st-ever season of the Puerto Rican Winter League.

Josh Gibson- 1939

Ed "Ace" Stone

Born: August 21, 1910 in Black Cat, Delaware
    Died: April 11, 1983 in the Bronx, NY
    Ht:6'-0", Wt: 195
    Batted both and threw right
    Position: outfield
    Years: 1931-1950
    Teams: Wilmington Hornets, Atlantic City Bacharachs, Brooklyn Eagles, Newark Eagles, Philadelphia Stars, New York Black Yankees, Pittsburgh Crawfords, Kansas City Monarchs, Nuevo Laredo Owls (Mexico), Veracruz Red Eagles (Mexico), Torreon Cotton Dealers (Mexico),Mexico City Red Devils, Havana Lions (Cuba

Satchel Paige in a Kansas City Monarchs uniform and wool jacket, with the distant look in his eyes of a man wondering about his future. Picture dates to the early '40s when he was nearing his 40th birthday.
    Last edited by Jersey Yankee; 07-13-05 at 05:34 AM.

Terris McDuffie, McDuffie's nickname was "The Great," acquired for his success in the American Negro leagues and Caribbean winter leagues. He was well known for facing Josh Gibson in a game at Yankee Stadium in 1944. McDuffie, pitching for the New York Black Yankees, surrendered four singles to the legendary catcher, and Gibson's Grays won by 15-3. It was a rare bad day.

1940s

Early 1900s.

a black baseball broadside from the 1900s touting a game between the Brown Cubs and the Oshkosh "8500 Cabs" -- may evoke a "Bingo Long" vibe but its history is more interesting, reaching into the very heart of black baseball -- the schoolhouses of Deep South that begat some important black teams like The Brown Cubs, who were sponsored by the Piney Woods Country Life School in Jackson, Mississippi. Called the "Singing Baseball Team" because it sometimes accompanied the school's Cotton Blossom Singers on fund-raising trips, they barnstormed against teams like the Montgomery Grey Sox of the Southern Negro Baseball League, giving a springboard to talent like future Homestead Gray star Howard Easterling. 11 x 14" broadside is a wealth of riches for "blackball" collectors, with a team shot of the Brown Cubs inside of an illustrated "cub" and shots of two players -- "Fence Busting" Gray and "Submarine Slim" Sterling -- on the right side. Bottom reads "Memorial Park Twilight Game, Thurs. Aug. 25, Game Called 4:30 PM," suggesting it was a Sunday game subject to blue laws.

Baseball players from Morris Brown College , Atlanta, Georgia- 1899, or 1900.

"The first photo features three players with the New York Cubans and it includes Ray Dandridge in the center. The second is a nine-member pose of the Memphis Red Sox with Willie Wells in the center. And the third photo in this group evidently seizes a milestone moment for those Red Sox as it projects two unidentified executives while including Willie Wells Jr. and Willie Wells Sr".

Buck Leonard
    Last edited by Jersey Yankee; 07-13-05 at 05:35 AM.

Jackie Robinson would not break the color barrier for nearly a decade, but Monte Irvin, back row left in this 1938 Newark Eagles team photo, would ride Robinson's wake into the majors. Many of his Eagles teammates, however, including the sensational pitcher Leon Day (front left), would have to accept greatness where they were. the Eagles, posing proudly at their Ruppert Stadium home field, in just their third year of existence after the Newark Dodgers merged with the Brooklyn Eagles. The Bears were said to be the first professional team owned and operated by a woman, Effa Manley, and they later graduated Larry Doby and Don Newcombe to the majors. But in 1938, they were a relatively new Negro League outfit, fighting for respect and a pennant.

"the Black Babe Ruth". An obviously contented Gibson decked out in a snazzy 3-piece suit and fedora. Surrounded by a group of similarly well-dressed teammates and officials during one of his stays in the Puerto Rican Winter League, from the late '30s.

Buck Leonard's proudly confident expression as he stands with Homestead Grays teammate Roy Welmaker and two New York Cubans officials before a May 26, 1945 game in the Polo Grounds is a marker of the Negro leagues' resolute conviction that they belonged on any big league field. It's a crime that Leonard, the greatest Negro league 1B, was kept out of such parks as a big leaguer, but his HOF berth is well deserved. Standing with he and Welmaker are New York Cuban officials L.J. Blanco Chataing and Bernardo Vizcaya.

Wow, that is all great stuff. I love seeing classic baseball stuff like that.

WOW. What an incredible collection...
    [b][url="http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/reader/nyc.php"]New York Sports Headlines[/url][/b] page - even if it is on a Boston page, it's still a great resource.

Great pictures, Jersey Yankee. Keep them coming. It is ashame due to racism and segregation that such talented proud men were preventing from playing baseball with their white counterparts. If they had, professional baseball's history would be so much richer and complete.

Great photos, Brad. Particularly like the one of Satch in the Yankees uniform with Pete Alexander looking on. Wonder if he ever expressed any opinions one way or the other about integration.

It also kills me that the Negro Leagues didn't really keep statistics, because not only do you wonder "what if" they played in the Majors, but your only means of comparison now is anecdotal ... and when all the Negro Leaguers die out, what then are you left to attest to that these were some of the greatest players of all time?

BTW, here's Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe, who I believe is the oldest living organized ballplayer right now -- 103 years young!

"You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

got anymore Home Run Johnson pictures?
    "you just sold your soul to the devils son-in-law"--eazy e

[URL="http://www.live-squad.com"]www.live-squad.com[/URL]

To one and all who've enjoyed this thread: I'm very honored to have copied & pasted these great pictures, and am pleased that you've taken the time to post your appreciation!!!

I'll just post a few "dribs & drabs" here & there from now on, since I've posted about 3 dozen or so already (everything that had been posted in one thread by the Brooklyn Dodger fan).

Here are a few more:

Here is one photo of a player I believe there is not yet a photo of on this thread, the great third baseman Oliver Marcelle (next five (5) photos):

Oliver "The Ghost" Marcelle

1895-1949
    By Bush Bernard
    Published in the Daily Comet in 1996

The greatest third baseman to play in the Negro Leagues was born in Thibodaux.

But Oliver "The Ghost" Marcelle never got the recognition due such a man during his lifetime and for 42 years his body laid buried in an unmarked grave in Denver. He was inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame in 1996.

"I think Ollie Marcelle was the best third baseman there was," said Bobbie Robinson, a fellow third baseman who played against Marcelle in the Negro Leagues.

"He was colorful," Robinson said. "Some ball players, it just looks like they have more color when they take the field. I know he was one of the best."

Oliver Marcelle was born June 24, 1895, in Thibodaux. He was the fifth of Daniel and Eliza Marcelle's six children, according to census records. He had an older brother, Johnny, and sisters, Elnora, Celestine, Ann and Cecilea, who was 2 years younger than Oliver.

[snip]

"Toward the twilight of that institution we know as the Negro Leagues, there emerged a nine called the Cleveland Buckeyes. Well actually, they didn't 'emerge,' but instead they were shifted from their long-successful tenure in Cincinnati. The latter-day Buckeyes first took the field in 1943, and actually enjoyed a couple good seasons on the strength of such superstars as Quincy Trouppe and Sam Jethro. But, as enlightenment pervaded Major League Baseball in the late '40's, so suffered the continuation of Negro League baseball in general, and the Cleveland Buckeyes took down their tent early in 1950".

Memphis Red Sox cap

Detroit Stars hat

New York Cubans hat

NYYF Legend

Fantastic Thread, Brad. Good job!

Do you have any pics or things on Rap Dixon? I've been reading about him a lot lately and I think the man should be considered for the Hall of Fame.

Here's some info on him:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb.../Dixon_Rap.stm

Dixon was a slugging outfielder who played on many of the great Negro League teams of the 1920s and 1930s. He combined power, average, and speed to pose a triple threat. His range and fine throwing arm made him a top defensive outfielder. He played hard and was known as a ferocious slider.

In 1929 Dixon played with the Baltimore Black Sox, Negro American League champions. He batted .382 with seven home runs, and led the league with six triples. In 1930, taking part in the first game played between black teams in Yankee Stadium, Dixon launched three HR into the right field seats. In 1932, he became part of one of the finest black teams ever assembled, Gus Greenlee's barnstorming Pittsburgh Crawfords. Playing beside Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Oscar Charleston, Judy Johnson, Josh Gibson, and Cool Papa Bell, Dixon held his own, batting .343 with 15 HR.

Dixon was selected to the inaugural East-West all-star game, in 1933, and in it stole a base, scored two runs, and had an RBI. He helped the Philadelphia Stars capture the Negro National League championship in 1934. He hit .344 in 1935, his last year as a regular. In 26 games against white major leaguers, he compiled a .372 average. (ETW)

http://www.afrolumens.org/century%20...blackball.html

Just prior to the '27 season, Biz Mackey of the Hilldale Club took a team of all-stars to Japan. This historical cultural exchange took place a good seven years prior to the more often noted Babe Ruth tour of '34. In collecting the best talent that he could find to take to the far east, Mackey selected the Harrisburg Giants right fielder Rap Dixon. In turn, ol' Rap just about stole the show. Rap would entertain the fans prior to the games. He would circle the bases in just over 14 seconds and toss balls over the outfield wall while standing on home plate. When the games began he was even more dramatic. He belted a home run of such prodigious proportions that Emperor Hirohito presented him with a trophy to commemorate it.

Rap did not restrict his accomplishments to foreign turf. In 1929 he rapped 14 consecutive hits in a series versus the Homestead Grays and in 1930 in the first Negro League games ever played in Yankee Stadium, Rap slammed three home runs. In 1933 when the first East-West All Star Game was played, Rap started the game in right. To underscore the greatness of the Harrisburg Giants outfield of '24-'27, it should be noted that Fats Jenkins played left field and Oscar Charleston first base in that first all-star game. The game was played 6 years after the trio's last appearance together in the Giant outfield.

Any info, and especially pics would be greatly appreciated. I never realized it, but there is old cemetery just a few hundred yards from my house and Mr. Dixon is buried there. There's actually a website about the Midland Cemetery:

http://www.afrolumens.org/rising_free/midland.html

Thanks Brad!

NYYF Legend

I found one.

The Pittsburgh Crawfords big five in the 1932 season.

From l to r: Oscar Charleston, Rap Dixon, Josh Gibson, Judy Johnson, and Jud Wilson.
    Attached Images

Thread Information