+ Reply to Thread
    R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Fielder's choice; out not made

If someone gets a "hit", but the fielder tries getting a runner out but doesn't, get him out. Is the batter credited with a hit or not?

Thx.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Re: Fielder's choice; out not made

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    If someone gets a "hit", but the fielder tries getting a runner out but doesn't, get him out. Is the batter credited with a hit or not?

Thx.
    Nope.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Disgusting Baiting Troll j.g. Archer1979's Avatar

What's the context?
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    Cheetos

EDIT: I hate you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1979
    What's the context?
    Say a guy hits to 2B in what would be a routine 4-6-3, but the 2Bman throws the ball away. Is that a hit or not? Error so no hit I figure?

What if he singles, but the RFer tries throwing to 2B to nail the 1B runner, but the ball comes in too late. Single or not?
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Say a guy hits to 2B in what would be a routine 4-6-3, but the 2Bman throws the ball away. Is that a hit or not? Error so no hit I figure?

What if he singles, but the RFer tries throwing to 2B to nail the 1B runner, but the ball comes in too late. Single or not?
    It all depends on how it's scored. A fielder's choice always counts as an out for the batter.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    It all depends on how it's scored. A fielder's choice always counts as an out for the batter.
    I hadn't realized that. I figured that if it wasn't a force play, such as 1B empty, so the 2B runner takes off, so the fielder throws there instead of 1B, doesn't get him, then it's a single.

Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar

I hadn't realized that. I figured that if it wasn't a force play, such as 1B empty, so the 2B runner takes off, so the fielder throws there instead of 1B, doesn't get him, then it's a single.
    There's some discretion for the official scorer but the rule is basically this: If the fielder would have retired the hitter by throwing to first, but chose to do something else (such as trying to get another runner), then it's a fielder's choice and not a hit for the batter.

Doesn't matter whether the fielder was successful or not in getting that other runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete
    There's some discretion for the official scorer but the rule is basically this: If the fielder would have retired the hitter by throwing to first, but chose to do something else (such as trying to get another runner), then it's a fielder's choice and not a hit for the batter.

Doesn't matter whether the fielder was successful or not in getting that other runner.
    Very well explained Pete!
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Very well explained Pete!
    Thanks. I often do the official scoring when my neighbors' kids play wiffle ball in the street -- on a strictly volunteer basis, of course.

For some reason, all the kids think my last name is Dumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete

Thanks. So the discretion would be whether it would've been a bang-bang play, how much time the fielder would've had time to set, throw and the catch made?

In that case, the FC would've been an out for the hitter if the scorer determines it would've been if the ball were thrown to 1B?

Thanks. So the discretion would be whether it would've been a bang-bang play, how much time the fielder would've had time to set, throw and the catch made?
    Well, the official scorer would have to be pretty certain that the batter would have been safe at first to award him a hit, rather than a fielder's choice.

In that case, the FC would've been an out for the hitter if the scorer determines it would've been if the ball were thrown to 1B?
    A fielder's choice is always counted as an out for the batter.

Thread Information