+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Epstein prepared to make changes

" ``I think we're reluctant to give up on some guys who've performed for us and who have a track record,'' Epstein said. ``But it reaches a point where what you have isn't working and you've got to make some changes. It's a pain tolerance.''

"``We take those things very, very seriously,'' Epstein said when asked about the prospects for a deal. ``But what we have right now isn't working. It's clear. It's my fault and we have to fix it. The status quo is not really acceptable.''

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...rticleid=89045
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Won't scruple to squash Prickly Pete's Avatar

Re: Epstein prepared to make changes

Sounds like he's just trying to get some guys fired up, because realistically, their options are fairly limited. They could cut a guy here or there, like Embree, but they need Schilling to return and they need Arroyo, Wells and Wakefield to pitch better. Manny starting to hit would help, too, but they've been scoring enough runs in general.

I just don't see a Nomar-type trade to shake things up.

Released Outright

What Prickly Pete said. Its funny how much is said about the Yankees struggles, when the Sox are only 2 games ahead of them and also struggling. Manny among others have not been hitting, and the starting and relief pitching has been very mediocre. The only even remotely dependable arm in their pen has been Timlin, and even putting the Schilling issues aside, everyone outside of Clement has underperformed.

NYYF Legend

Who would the Sox trade? They've said Ramirez is untouchable and Shoppach's trade value has collapsed since he was called up. I know they have a lot of lower level prosepects, but how much will they bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly Pete
    Sounds like he's just trying to get some guys fired up, because realistically, their options are fairly limited. They could cut a guy here or there, like Embree, but they need Schilling to return and they need Arroyo, Wells and Wakefield to pitch better. Manny starting to hit would help, too, but they've been scoring enough runs in general.

I just don't see a Nomar-type trade to shake things up.
    There's no Nomar this year to jettison. Everybody is looking for starting and relief pitching. Who can they trade that will bring anything worthwhile back? Ortiz- he's a bargain, it would be crazy to let him go. Manny- they couldn't give him away for free when he was hitting well.Renteria- not with that contract unless they pay 4-5M of it. Damon- a possibility, but what would you get ofr a 3 month rental knowing he is a Broas client. Meuller- there's some value there. Millar, Bellhorn, Nixon (injured) not likely. Arroyo might be interesting because he's still relatively cheap, but they need pitching,not to trade pitchers.
    I wonder if their ability to find players that doextremely well at Fenway might be a disadvantage come trade time? Millar, if he was hitting well would be a problem trade as he hits so much worse away from Fenway
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    Who would the Sox trade? They've said Ramirez is untouchable and Shoppach's trade value has collapsed since he was called up. I know they have a lot of lower level prosepects, but how much will they bring?
    As of right now, they are in the same position as us. Very few prospects above the AA level, loaded in the A ball level.

Released Outright

I think you're forgetting Hanley Ramirez, whos already been nominated for the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special
    I think you're forgetting Hanley Ramirez, whos already been nominated for the HOF.
    The same Hanley Ramirez that has Edgar Renteria blocking him for the next 4 years..?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    As of right now, they are in the same position as us. Very few prospects above the AA level, loaded in the A ball level.
    Actually, pretty much all of their top 12-15 prospects are in AA or above except for one (SP Anibal Sanchez, who is at High-A).

I'm not saying their farm system is good -- they have very few "high-ceiling" guys and none of them at AAA -- but their best prospects (such as they are) are almost all at AA Portland.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm1058123
    They're AA team has some good prospects too, but I think they will have some trouble making trades. Especially if the Angels, Braves and Twins are in the market.

NYYF Legend

portland sea dogs have a great little ball park. damn i love that town.

I thought Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes were getting in first.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NDBoston
    I thought Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes were getting in first.

Why can't they all go in the same year?
    Complaining is a choice

He's got nothing on Philip Hughes, who I hear is "teh jesus" down there in low-A ball.

Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar

I don't think anyone would take Manny because of the contract... I mean no one would claim him off of waivers even but... he would be the person to get rid of... him and Hanley... If they can't get rid of Manny... they have to move him in the order...

... I don't know what in God's name else that they can do... from what I hear... their farm system isn't that fruitful either...

I would not be surprised if they did everything they could to trade Manny. It probably won't happen, but they are always looking to rid themselves of his contract.

NYYF Legend

The Sox will never trade Manny. He's off to the worst start of his career - if you take away his 3 biggest games he'd be hitting .225 with a .382 SP and 6 HR's and 28 RBI's. That, coupled with his subpar defense and huge contract makes him untradeable.

Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar

This is over 2 and a half months though... .316/.411/.599, 400+ HR, and 1300+ RBI's have to count for something...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Espinosa's Glasses
    This is over 2 and a half months though... .316/.411/.599, 400+ HR, and 1300+ RBI's have to count for something...
    True, but teams are going to expect a lot more for $20M yr. They couldn't give him away for free 2 years ago.

If Epstein is looking to fire his team up, I guess that means we should anticipate a bench-clearing brawl the next time the two teams get together.

Devoted Member

Epstein is clever and will make something happen. Compare the Redsox decision model versus the Yankees. Epstein has a bunch of talent evaluators who are ex GM's and a group of stat geeks that he takes advice from. He has to run things past Lucchino and Henry and can move fast. Look at the Yankee dysfuntional model. Cashman, Michael and NY crew have to convince the Tampa management group and the Steinbrenner buddies on ideas. Everyone is off doing their own thing including George. This process looks like the US Senate. Can anyone reach consensus in a timely manner?

NYYF Legend

Manny for Jaret Wright. Straight up.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

NYYF Triple Crown

I would prefer them to try and ride this out, and see what happens with Schilling. If he can't come back and be somewhere close to his normal self, I don't see the Red Sox being able to contend for the championship this year.
    I would be OK with accepting whatever happens this season instead of trading any prospects the Red Sox believe can play in the big leagues within the next two years.
    The Red Sox need to start getting younger anyway. I just think they have so many holes right now that one or two moves isn't going to make much of a difference, and I am more concerned with the future of the team.
    The only thing that will right this ship is the players they already have playing the way they are capable of playing.

Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue VFBundy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yanksphan
    Manny for Jaret Wright. Straight up.
    I was hoping for a DH/1B trade...Ortiz for Giambi. Hell, throw in Kevin Brown, too.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Merlyn
    I would not be surprised if they did everything they could to trade Manny. It probably won't happen, but they are always looking to rid themselves of his contract.

How much of his contract would Boston be willing to eat?
    Life is good!

Thread Information