+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gardner must start in AA

We need outfield help, and we need it BAD. Gardner is everything we need right about now: great arm, great defense, good hitter, gets on base a lot, and good at stealing. He'd be a great bat to have in front of Jeter.

We need to get this guy ready to come to the big dance ASAP.

Re: Gardner must start in AA

I'd prefer not to see our guys rushed. Patience is going to get the Yankees out of the losing ways they've displayed this season, not rushing some 21 year old OFer through the minors.

Thing is, he's already been to college, so he should develop much faster. I understand not rushing him, and certainly wouldn't if he needs time, but what if he starts in A ball and just tears up everything?

I want him to start in AA because I honestly feel he could contribute in the very near future, hopefully as early as sometime next year. We'll see.

I think they should try him at Tampa.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

I'd be fine with Tampa, but would still prefer Trenton. Then again, they say the biggest jump is from A to AA, so maybe Tampa would be best.

There's no way he'd lead off at AA is there? Thompson is a great leadoff hitter for them.
    What goes here?

Quote Originally Posted by 27IsNext
    Thing is, he's already been to college, so he should develop much faster. I understand not rushing him, and certainly wouldn't if he needs time, but what if he starts in A ball and just tears up everything?

I want him to start in AA because I honestly feel he could contribute in the very near future, hopefully as early as sometime next year. We'll see.
    The thing about players who are drafted is, they all use aluminium bats. Switching from an aluminium to wood takes some time and is a hard thing to do for some players. Starting him in AA would be counter productive. Start him lower and once he gets acclimated to the wooden bat and starts doing well, then start moving fast.

Wood Bat

Comment was right on. He'll probably start in Staten Island to get used to the wood.

Some Yankee fans need to stop displaying the same bad thought patterns as the Yankee owner. The Yankees need to think and react long-term without making panic moves.

NYYF Legend

Most of the higher rated draftees will start in Staten Island. Maybe Cox will get to Charleston, but that's unlikely, especially with Martinez and S. Beltran there now. Cox probably starts at SI, and moves up after their season ends, when maybe Martinez moves to Tampa.

NYYF Legend

Starting any of these players at a higher level then Charleston is quite counter-productive. Even Charleston is a push, although Cox may be a good fit there. But the others need to be in SI, or even the GCL Yankees, to start.

The thing is they drafted too many college players for them all to start at SI. The roster can't hold them all.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
    Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Lt. Col., USMC

NYYF HOF

My guess is Cox doesn't pitch this season if Texas goes deep into the college world series.

Gardner needs to start at Tampa only to seperate him and Battle.

If Gardner goes to Staten Island this season he is looking to start next year at Tampa, same as Battle.

If Gardner goes to Tampa and plays well then he could be in line to be in Trenton next year.

I have no issue with taking college players if you're aggressive in placing them, particularly those you draft high.

Quote Originally Posted by BomberBrian
    My guess is Cox doesn't pitch this season if Texas goes deep into the college world series.

Gardner needs to start at Tampa only to seperate him and Battle.

If Gardner goes to Staten Island this season he is looking to start next year at Tampa, same as Battle.

If Gardner goes to Tampa and plays well then he could be in line to be in Trenton next year.

I have no issue with taking college players if you're aggressive in placing them, particularly those you draft high.
    Didn't Halsey pitch for the Yankees the same season he was part of the Texas team that won the Series a few years ago?

Also, just because Battle and Gardner are on the same team doesn't mean one of them can't move over to left or right field.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    Didn't Halsey pitch for the Yankees the same season he was part of the Texas team that won the Series a few years ago?

Also, just because Battle and Gardner are on the same team doesn't mean one of them can't move over to left or right field.
    you're correct on halsey. guess there is some hope with cox, just depends how quick they can get him signed once his season is over.

as for the battle and or gardner moving to left or right field, i would say that is a bad idea if you're looking for one of them to be your future centerfielder.

as for the battle and or gardner moving to left or right field, i would say that is a bad idea if you're looking for one of them to be your future centerfielder.
    IMO, it's a better idea than to rush a player just for the sake of him not being in the same outfield with another player the following season.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    IMO, it's a better idea than to rush a player just for the sake of him not being in the same outfield with another player the following season.
    you need to be aggressive with 4 year college players or else in a blink of an eye they're minor league lifers.

he is what 22?

to put it bluntly he needs to get going.

i'd also be interested in taking a look around the league and see where 3 and 4 year college players start. I bet A LOT of them go right to full season ball, whether it is low A or advanced A.

you need to be aggressive with 4 year college players or else in a blink of an eye they're minor league lifers.

he is what 22?

to put it bluntly he needs to get going.

i'd also be interested in taking a look around the league and see where 3 and 4 year college players start. I bet A LOT of them go right to full season ball, whether it is low A or advanced A.
    Then start him Charleston. Very few players start off in high A ball, especially those from small colleges as Gardner is from.

Released Outright

Theres plenty of room in Charleston IMO. Granted, Evan Tierce deserves a spot in high or low A ball soon, but beyond Battle...both of the other spots are up for grabs. Estee has done nothing this year, and now that Poterson is down in S/T...Edwar Gonzalez is in RF

NYYF Cy Young

Charleston is having a great season. They are going to cruise and win the first half title. They have a great team. That being said they need to move a few guys up to Tampa at the half or later in the year. Guys like Martinez, Ehlers, Yosvany Almario should be moved soon! This way Charleston will have room for some of the new draftees after getting thier feet wet in Staten Island.

Does anybody know if it's true that this is Mike Martinez first year of pitching exclusively?

Released Outright

It is definitely.

Isn't Gardner coming from the College of Charleston?

I'd start him at Charleston then, maybe the no-change of scenery helps him adjut to the pros.

As was pointed out earlier, because of the adjustment most players have to make to the wooden bats, they are almost always started out at a lower level. So I expect Gardner to start at SI. If he starts out strong, then he would get promoted to Charleston at mid season.

NYYF Legend

you're correct on halsey. guess there is some hope with cox, just depends how quick they can get him signed once his season is over.

I agree with not moving Battle or Gardner. My guess is that Battler may move to Tampa soon, and Gardner will end the season in Charleston. But he won't start there.

Registered

[QUOTE=mbn007]My guess is that Battler may move to Tampa soon.

Battle will most likely stay with the RiverDogs the whole season.

Thread Information